Castlevania: Mirror of Faith Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• dominalien 21 Feb 2013 21:13:31 6,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the demo very much. Not fond of the last boss fight. Checkpoints? In a single 5-minute fight? Plus, it kept spamming the same move over and over again. That part was boring. Apart from that, it looks ace. Might even get to be my 2nd 3DS game. :-)

Edited by dominalien at 21:14:03 21-02-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 21 Feb 2013 21:14:39 6,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and it's Mirror of Fate. Would someone kindly amend?

• Deleted user 21 February 2013 21:58:49
    I enjoyed the demo.
  • riz23 21 Feb 2013 22:13:11 1,252 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Demo? I have been too busy playing VLR. Time to hit the eShop!
  • acousticwilliam 21 Feb 2013 22:39:33 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was good. Not blown away, not disappointed either. Feels very much like a successor to CV3 / 4. I like the fact that there is a dodge mechanic and it's not just whip spam. Loved the sounds the massive red dude made right at the start.

Didn't like that dagger frisbee, the noise and glowy purple glow make it feel really out of place with the rest of the art direction. It's almost too modern science/electronic rather than gothic magic. I mention this as I wonder if there are going to be any other odd choices in the final build.

For example, I saw one clip of Alucard grabbing an overhead rail with arrows on it and he did a hand grind thing over to some area. I just thought, where the hell has that come from, it felt really out of place.

I agree with the checkpoints on the boss. Previously if your ass was handed to you, you'd have to start from the beginning or last save point.

Apparently (don't know if it's confirmed) the demo is the E3 build that got flack for the framerate and clunky controls, so not the final build that many preview sites were raving about a couple of weeks ago - that is surely a promising thing. Part of the delay was due to the lackluster feedback from the demo David Cox said on some blogs this week.

I kind of hope that's true, there's something not quite right, it seems very studdery.

I'm not swayed by reviews, but I'd be interested to read some opinions about the final build before I slap some money down.

What did you think of the demo?

NNID: Willum

• Raiko101 22 Feb 2013 00:26:09 6,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The frame rate isn't amazing, but you get used to it very quickly. Just like with MGS 3. The combat stumped me at the beginning, but it's ok.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• redcrayon 22 Feb 2013 09:11:04 4,552 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It doesn't feel that different to the build I played six months ago. Enemies take too long to kill, and there's a big disconnect between how flashy the main character looks, with umpteen different attacks, knock-ups, ground-pounds etc, and how many of those it takes to kill a basic skeleton. It makes the main character feel really, really weak and needlessly showy- it takes you more epic, leaping-around special moves to kill a skeleton than the shambling, clumsy undead need to kill you! Maybe that changes later on, but it made the demo feel a bit repetitive to me. Have cancelled my pre-order, will pick up when it's cheaper instead.

Was really looking forward to this, but not if it takes five minutes to kill each basic enemy. Even in the NES game most stuff dies to one hit with the whip, presumably enemy HP is increased to compensate for the whip being longer, having radial attacks, the player being able to dodge etc. I definitely prefer the older ones though, the best 2D games let you keep your movement fluid and advance steadily, rather than every basic guy being a roadblock.

Edited by redcrayon at 09:13:32 22-02-2013
  • roz123 22 Feb 2013 09:24:40 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed it but I am not all that familar with the other games in the series.
    At first I was plesantly surprised that the graphics looked a lot better in 3D, the framerate wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I thought having every enemy being difficult to kill was a good thing. I died at the first set of skeletons :lol: and that ramped up the tension when I got to the next fight. That quickly dissipated though when I realised there is no real punishment for death.
    Still I thought the monsters, the atmosphere, the setting and the controls were good so I will definatly pick it up if it gets good reviews. If not I might track down one of the other games in the series.

Edited by roz123 at 09:25:22 22-02-2013
  • Raiko101 22 Feb 2013 15:26:42 6,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually got stuck on those skeletons for about 10 minutes. Dying over and over again. You do have to spend quite a bit of time block and rolling out of the way. But then I figured out there are combos and moves you can use to speed up battles. Just holding Y does some kind of spamming of the whip, meaning you can kill the little skeletons quite quickly.

I do agree with recrayon that these battles feel more like road blocks, but i'm willing to look past this and treat it as a whole new approach to the series. The final boss battle was quite fun, even though i'm not quite liking the jumping. It feels a bit stiff and floaty at the same time.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• acousticwilliam 22 Feb 2013 15:53:36 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact is this is the only new 2D Castlevania we're going to get for a fair while so I'm just going to try and enjoy it for what it is.

Would anyone agree this moves at around 20fps, tops?

• dominalien 22 Feb 2013 16:28:12 6,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    The fact is this is the only new 2D Castlevania we're going to get for a fair while so I'm just going to try and enjoy it for what it is.

Would anyone agree this moves at around 20fps, tops?
    I thought the frame rate was fine, but then I wasn't aware beforehand that it was supposed to have problems.

• acousticwilliam 23 Feb 2013 10:09:51 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dominalien I just breezed throught the demo again. The cutscenes seem to run steady, but in particular places like where you have to climb the tower and prior to that, fight the bats, it feels almost like it skips entire 'frames' that your (well, my) eye can't fill in. Do you get what I mean? So it creates a sort of jerk or judder.
    If it ran like butter I wouldn't notice, but it doesn't and I guess that's why I'm assuming the frame rate is a bit off in places.

I enjoyed it a lot more this time, made a point of dodging everything - think I had a click moment with the gameplay. Flew through the boss. I did seem to rely on the same combo to deal with all enemies.

Picking this out of the air I know, and basing it off of the demo I reckon it will get a 7 or 8.

• DFawkes 23 Feb 2013 12:06:26 22,770 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who died at the first set of skeletons! I'm just so unbelievably terrible at this. I really had to push to my limit just to beat those first few enemies, mostly using counters as they're really satisfying. I now see I should've been dodging more.

But I think my low skill level means I wouldn't get most of of this. It looks great though, but without a Meganoob difficulty setting I think I'll have to pass.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• acousticwilliam 25 Feb 2013 09:26:33 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think optimism is getting the better of me. When do you think we'll start to see some reviews landing? Or will it be victim to a wonderful embargo the day before release?

• kinky_mong 25 Feb 2013 10:20:06 10,122 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought the demo was alright after expecting the worst from all the impressions I've heard. Died on the first lot of skeletons a few times while getting used to the combat but after that it was pretty good. Gave me a Metroidvania vibe (which to be fair it should!) with the level layout so I think I'll take a punt on the full game if it reviews well.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• roz123 26 Feb 2013 10:47:10 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently the Spanish magazine "Hobby Consolas" has given it a score of 93
  • acousticwilliam 27 Feb 2013 09:10:49 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @roz123 Taking that with a pinch of sunshine and a handful of orange juice. Apparently they have a reputation for being paid to say nice things.

New stuff that I hadn't seen before on the Japanese site.

I don't think the frame rate is the issue after skimming opinions on other forums, more to do with the way the characters are animated.

Anyway, still pretty hopeful and looking forward to this - although I think that's more to do with the fact my job has been back to back pitching recently and I have time off when this is out.

• roz123 27 Feb 2013 09:51:15 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I wouldn't trust Hobby Consolas :lol:
  • roz123 4 Mar 2013 12:01:18 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First online review (in German) 8.5/10
    http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/castlevania-mirror-of-fate
  • acousticwilliam 4 Mar 2013 12:29:11 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @roz123

*** The negatives***

Loading times, sheer number of QTE, crap forgettable music repeats, cheap platforming requiring perfect jumps (welcome to Castlevania of old!!) 4th playable character is only playable for about 15mins or so.

Game length to 100% is about 11hrs, nowhere near the 20hrs the trailer says and also the 16hrs Cox stated in various interviews.

Some guy on Gamefaqs got a copy early and rinsed the story in 7-ish and was 76% complete.

*** The positives***

Simple enjoyable combat once you unlock combos. Pretty solid game.

Edited by acousticwilliam at 12:29:41 04-03-2013

• Murbal 4 Mar 2013 13:16:02 22,075 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering this is coming out on the cusp of Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Devil Survivor Overclocked and Luigi's Mansion, I think it's a game I can happily pass on given what I've seen and heard of it so far.
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Mar 2013 13:25:56 4,371 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It comes out the same as Luigi's Mansion here, but other than download games, the market's relatively quiet, I've only bought Dragon Quest VII and Professor Layton and the Super Civilization A so far (again, other than download games). There's no date for Elminage Gothic or Gyrozetter yet, so that's it for me until Ninja Jajamaru-kun and Shin Megami Tensei IV in April and May.

I hope the demo comes here before it comes out though, because I'd like to avoid a mine if I can. I've never a disliked a Castlevania game before though, I even liked the two N64 Castlevanias! So I think I'll find something to like even if its not all that great.

One's thing for sure, IGA would have made a better game for a smaller budget than Mercury Steam, but no use crying over spilled milk.
  • Murbal 5 Mar 2013 08:31:28 22,075 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, review's up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-28-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate-review

I think I can wait for a price drop on that. Assuming it happens, you know what Nintendo exclusives can be like ;-)
  • roz123 5 Mar 2013 09:17:23 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite a big mix of reviews for this online, a few 9s, a few 8s, a few 7s, a 4.7 from IGN and a 2.5 from Gamesbeat
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/castlevania-lords-of-shadow---mirror-of-fate/critic-reviews

I'm not that surprised, it never looked amazing but its something a bit different. I think the lowest reviews are being extra harsh because its a Castlevania game but with so many games coming out in the next month I'm going to leave this one till it drops in price.
  • Murbal 5 Mar 2013 09:18:31 22,075 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like it's biggest flaw is not being like a traditional 2D Castlevania game.
  • dominalien 5 Mar 2013 09:38:32 6,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Sounds like it's biggest flaw is not being like a traditional 2D Castlevania game.
    Now that's an outrage if I've ever seen one.

Demo was strongly indicative of a 7, so I'll go with that.

Edited by dominalien at 09:38:50 05-03-2013

• acousticwilliam 7 Mar 2013 16:37:41 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sunk 2.5hrs into this so far. Pretty good, feels like a solid 7/8. First couple of bosses are really great.
    I'm really hoping some of the huge knights just before the Nightwatcher fight come to life later on. Would be a massive shame if they just remain static in the background. Same goes for some of the toy soldier robot things before you join Alucard on the merry go round. Yep that's right Alucard on a merry go round.

Overarching thing that is pissing me off is the lack of punishment for dying. If you were made to go back to a save point it would make the combat etc far more focused, like it matters to play defensively as well as offensively in a real old school CV way.
    Instead, having a life bar at all feels completely pointless since death doesn't set you back or take away anything.

It's good though.

• JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2013 11:44:25 4,371 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OH MY SCHMORDMUCKS!

So I went on a search for the DS Castlevanias because I sold them (along with many other games I love, that's just the way the DS was, too many good games came too often to keep them all). I got Dawn of...Sorrow? was it for 2400 yen. Not bad, its been reprinted twice so that's why it is so low. I got lucky though, because I found the last used one. All that's left after that is new at 5600-7000 yen. In all my time, I only found 3 copies though.

How much was Gallery of ...I mean Portrait of Ruin? 18,000 yen. That's nearly 200 euros. The last one (for the life of me I cannot remember the English name, but its the one with the lady protagonist called Stolen Emblem in Japanese) was 12,000 yen. Now I had to look around in about 20-30 different stores just to find ONE copy. And it was the ONLY one I could find.

Just for kicks, I decided to take a look at what Symphony of the Night ran for. 98,000 yen. I could buy a new computer for that amount of money. I could buy a 3DS, a Vita, a PS3, a Xbox 360 and a Wii U have money left over to buy games for that type of money.

Lords of Shadow and Castlevania Judgement can be found for about 500 yen, BTW. All the other games are anywhere from 6000 to 9000 yen. I think somebody there has a grudge against IGA because ever since Portrait they refuse to reprint anything Castlevania over here.

Konami done fucked up royally with managing this series lately.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 11:45:16 08-03-2013
  • acousticwilliam 8 Mar 2013 15:09:12 782 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Press R to move a box. Press R again to let go.
    Would it not make more sense to press and hold R, drag the box and then release to let go?!
    Bad design choices like this are starting to hinder my positivity.

The map is totally unintuitive too - I progress left to go backtracking only to find I've gone round in a perfect circle to where I last loaded my save 30mins ago. Makes no sense.

It's a solid 7. The above and other bad design choices have chipped it away from an 8 for me. I hate thinking "Really?! Who thought that was a good idea, this is a bad experience."

• Murbal 8 Mar 2013 15:13:29 22,075 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir Order of Ecclesia

edit: And now thanks to you Jin I'm currently looking at picking up DoS at the very least. Incidentally, I'm currently playing SotN on my Vita for the first time. Wonderful stuff.

Edited by Murbal at 15:16:02 08-03-2013
  • Page

of 3 First / Last