Castlevania: Mirror of Faith

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • JinTypeNoir 22 May 2012 15:40:50 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems this one is still in the rumor phase, but according to a NeoGAF thread which sources several different places reliably enough, Konami is planning to introduce this at E3. Not much is known, but it looks like the Lords of Shadow guys will be behind it.

If so, what's going on with Igarashi? I wonder if the game will be entirely Western made again? Lords of Shadow seemed to divide people somewhat, though it also seemed to do better in general than the other 3D entries. Personally, of the 3D entries, I really liked Lament of Innocence the best, but Lords of Shadow wasn't bad either, its just that type of art and story direction and world design isn't the direction I want to see Castlevania evolve a new path down.

I think I'd prefer Konami split the handheld and console releases to different teams if it comes to that, but since there isn't much known about this game if it even exists, I can't really come to a conclusion either way. It would be a shame to lose the hyper-gothic sprite-based Castlevania forever, one way or another.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2012 15:42:14
    Rumors suggest it's from the same team as the last console one, so it'll be gash again.
  • JinTypeNoir 22 May 2012 15:58:03 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It definitely traded in some of the identity of Castlevania for a lot of modern action game design cliches and that wasn't to its credit. And seriously, that ending reveal is worst storytelling than anything in the series up to this point.

However, I did think that it was very competent and had a good rhythm to the action, as well as some pretty nice gameplay ideas. And more importantly, even though I'm not sure I like the direction, it certainly still had a soul to it, which is so very important for Castlevania.

Though I can't imagine why Konami would get rid of Igarashi's smaller team of 2D experts. The portable Castlevanias were by different degrees quite successful to really big hits, and the downloadable console game did really well for them.
  • JinTypeNoir 29 May 2012 20:39:57 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it turns out this is Mirror of Fate and not Mirror of Faith, so if a kind mod would change the thread title, I would be much obliged.

It looks like its entirely done by Mercury Steam, 3D and stars Trevor Belmont using the combat cross. Somebody summed up the information in Nintendo Power with this bullet list:

- strong attacks with X
    - wider-reaching attacks with Y
    - secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb
    - use these with A
    - grab enemies with R
    - block and dodge with L
    - involves light and shadow magic returns
    - earn experience points to unlock new combos
    - these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more
    - includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

Still waiting for information, and/or a first look, but while I'm not exactly disappointed, as a new Castlevania is welcome, I'm not as excited as I would be if it were an 2D Igarashi-lead title.

Unlike others, I don't think Lords of Shadow was bad, but it was definitely not much of an evolution, and served to dilute Castlevania's identity when it should have been trying to strengthen it. I'm not sure why some Japanese companies are so hell-bent on not letting their Japanese teams do entries in their Japanese series. I mean, it's alright for people living on the other side of the world, but imagine if your country's creative output starting being created for other people while they ignored your market entirely. It isn't exactly a great feeling. Especially because there is a healthy portable market here, this doesn't make much sense to me.
  • roz123 30 May 2012 10:36:11 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Magazine scans
  • MoGamer2006 30 May 2012 11:49:43 970 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slightly disappointed that this isn't a traditional 2D game, but this still looks nice - if they could marry the classic Metroidvania gameplay to 2.5D presentation, that'd be nice.... Here's hoping.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Jun 2012 09:14:13 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently, there's a desperate plea for legitimacy with 5 or 10 seconds of gameplay tacked on at the end available here.

Or for short, a modern video game trailer.
  • roz123 8 Jun 2012 09:03:43 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A couple of gameplay videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rrq1CZNKxA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IUfjPTSFe8
  • Deleted user 8 June 2012 09:11:41
    Woah, looks like castlevania is back!
  • Murbal 8 Jun 2012 09:21:37 21,556 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks great. Very excited for this now!
  • roz123 19 Jun 2012 09:24:32 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some nice footage

and a dev interview
  • atomicjuicer 8 Dec 2012 12:26:21 274 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was lucky enough to play this at Gamescom in August and it prompted me to buy a 3DS. Right now there aren't many games I'm into on the 3DS (like 5 or 6) so I hope this comes out soon!
  • atomicjuicer 9 Dec 2012 20:36:05 274 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Announced today that it'll be out in March - woo!
  • roz123 4 Feb 2013 12:36:45 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First 10 mins with commentary

and a preview
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388730/hands-on-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate/

Edited by roz123 at 13:05:16 04-02-2013
  • Raiko101 5 Feb 2013 01:04:31 5,569 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I honestly gave up on this one after all the original hands-on impressions, but if we get more like CVG's, i'll be slapping it back on my watch list.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• spamdangled 5 Feb 2013 03:21:22 27,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm. The cvg preview has allayed my fear a little, but then... Well it's cvg. And these days I pretty much regard them as the uk's answer to IGN.

It sounds interesting, and I loved lord of shadow, but I'm still very cautious. Despite the reassurance of metroidvania stuff still being there, Im going to wait for reviews still. I want a sotn beater, and this still doesnt sound like it because of the god of war style combat.

Can I get sotn on my vita yet?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• acousticwilliam 5 Feb 2013 23:12:03 751 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fresh gameplay

No thanks.

Will be very interested to see how this choppy mess reviews.

Edited by acousticwilliam at 23:13:09 05-02-2013
  • el_pollo_diablo 5 Feb 2013 23:21:25 2,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is the hero really called Trevor Belmont?

Sounds like someone who'd come round to read the meter.
  • Raiko101 5 Feb 2013 23:43:26 5,569 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its 3 memberd pf the Belmont family, if I read that CVG article correctly. As much as I love Metroid, i'd love to see a Castlevania in the style of the originals.

The change in combat doesn't bother me either as we've got a fair few Symphony clones.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• acousticwilliam 10 Feb 2013 18:59:43 751 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a vid floating around with Alucard morphing into a 'wolf' - I say 'wolf' as it looks more like an Alsatian covered in tin foil.

@darkmorgado was it the CVG preview that said it plays like a 2D Bayonetta, requires nibble timing to dodge and counter?

Part of me really wants this to be good. Would love for my skepticism to be pleasantly surprised.

Demo on the 21st isn't there? Might be mistaking that date with the MH:U demo mind...
  • Daryoon 10 Feb 2013 19:37:42 4,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:

Trevor AND Simon!
  • mal 10 Feb 2013 19:40:06 22,002 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They don't do duvets.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JinTypeNoir 10 Feb 2013 23:04:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:

Trevor was the star of Castlevania III.

On that note, I don't see why they are rebooting the storyline. What little bit there was in the Famicom game was better than the turgid Hollywood crap they've injected into this thing. The game so far looks pretty clunky and unremarkable, certainly not smooth enough to be on the same level of Castlevanias. But I'm hoping that once it comes out context will make it clear that it's better than what it seems.

Otherwise, Konami just needs to free IGA so we can have more of his stuff. IGA's track record for bringing fresh new takes is better, I think.

He first made basically a handheld version of Symphony with Harmony of Dissonance, then he followed that up by changing it up with the skill system and setting change of Aria and improved on that with Dawn. Then he mixed up things completely by ditching much of the castle theme, so you could warp to different environments, bringing in a much bigger shake to Castlevania's than Lords of Shadow was and did so successfully, adding an always-around partner and optional missions. Then he basically combined the Metroidvania and old level-based Castlevania into Order of Ecclesia, gave us a kick ass protagonist, bumped the difficulty back to old school levels and so on. He also found a good visual theme without Kojima. The downloadable game was a fun and unique take on Castlevania, for the first time successfully incorporating score attack and multiplayer ethos into Castlevania.

Yeah, I know Konami wanted something bigger with the console games, and that is where IGA wasn't able to deliver as much (though I still like them). However, IGA was able to manage the budget and deliver hits in his smaller 2D games, they were always financially successful. Why take that away this time? I have a feeling, that though I may like the final product (I haven't ever disliked a Castlevania game completely, though I certainly like some less, no, not even the N64 games), it will be a pale shadow to what IGA could have invented.
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 23:35:10 2,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lords of Shadow was a fucking awesome storyline.
  • JinTypeNoir 10 Feb 2013 23:38:15 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lords of Shadow had "not a fantasy epic, but trying to be" weighing it down somewhat, and I am among those who thought the ending was stupid and ridiculous, but the imagination and enthusiasm for which the setting was realized, as it always does for Castlevania, made up for the storytelling deficiencies.

This, however, so far just looks puke-worthy. The story trailer I saw had what I presume is Simon? going out to do his Lord of Shadows game, I guess? and leaving behind Trevor? Oh bloody hell, what does it matter. It's a "father goes to war, leaves behind wife and child with curious memento" scene. There's nothing wrong with that fundamentally, but the writing is cack. It makes it sounds like the couple is talking about how they can't make ends meet and need to sell the cows to pay the rent. Then in the all-important memento-giving scene you don't get anything heartwarming, curiousity-tingling, adventure-inspiring about it. There's not emotion. Its just, here's your memento, this will be important later.

If I have to watch 2 or 3 minutes of this third rate Hollywood cack, I want it done well. I want some sort of reason why we would be sad to see this family have this trouble; taking it for granted because the dad may not live is bad writing. What do I care? He's just a mess of polygons behind a screen. And certainly don't show a father telling his wife that if he is not back by dawn (because of course half a day of being gone totally means he's dead or in trouble) then to run right in front of a small child who can hear it perfectly well. That just makes me think he's a shitty father. This exactly something an amateur writer writes. They want to get across some sort of pathos, and do it in a very clumsy, direct way (guy is concerned about his family) but don't actually think about the consequences of what they are writing and how that makes the characters look. A much better way would be to show him saying very little in front of the boy, and giving the mom (you know, a woman, yeah, you can give a woman some sort of agency, it's possible!) a line that tells us she knows he's in deep shit and is going to get them out of there to protect the boy.

Way back in fucking King's Quest I cared about finding King Graham a wife because he genuinely seemed like a nice guy with a pure heart who wanted some romance in his life and that came off well. That had about a paragraph and 15 seconds of an intro compared to this game.

God, do I ever want wannabe film maker game exposition to fuck off into oblivion.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 23:59:33 10-02-2013
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 23:49:58 2,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whats wrong with the ending of LoS?
  • JinTypeNoir 11 Feb 2013 00:06:23 4,365 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Given the foreshadowing it wasn't shocking. Given how many times a similar twist has happened before, it wasn't original. Given the twist on what we expect between Belmonts and Draculas, it hardly qualifies since its not even the first time something like this has happened in the series. It doesn't have all that much of an impact on the first game's stories and as precursor to another story unless Lord of Shadows 2 is really somehow unprecedented in its originality, it doesn't really tease anything tantalizing.

So what is its storytelling value? Effectively nothing. I also thought the choice of last boss was tacky. Really? Really? I mean the series has never been subtle about Prince of Darkness Dracula and who might be the king of that darkness, but seriously? It kind of reeks of a stoner and a goth brainstorming one night, when they're like, all of a sudden, "Whoa, wouldn't it be cool if...?"
  • fb77 15 Feb 2013 23:10:05 102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the story, possibly confirming my suspicion that I'm much less high brow than I'd hoped.
  • neilka 15 Feb 2013 23:30:11 14,960 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate to break it to you but you may be a mainstream donkey.
  • roz123 21 Feb 2013 20:22:15 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone else try the demo? I thought it was great
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous