Can you suggest me a JRPG? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 28 Feb 2013 11:09:51 35,551 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't think there's a fundemental difference between being sick of blood/grey/brown and cute/cartoony/garish. Personally, I love Ni No Kuni, but I do find it a little difficult to get particularly thrilled in the same way I do when I play, say, a Souls game or Dragon's Dogma.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 11:10:06
    Can PS3 play the PS1 games? If so, than Final Fantasy IX. Absolutely classic, easy for beginners, not complicated battle system. Can be a bit slow though (especially in battle).
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 11:11:05 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, it can play PS1 games fine.

You can also get FFIX on PSN.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Gartt 28 Feb 2013 11:17:36 1,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dark palette? lots of browns? Definitely in the realm of WRPGs
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:30:40 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Don't think there's a fundemental difference between being sick of blood/grey/brown and cute/cartoony/garish. Personally, I love Ni No Kuni, but I do find it a little difficult to get particularly thrilled in the same way I do when I play, say, a Souls game or Dragon's Dogma.
    There isn't a difference.
    However, one thing is being sick off one style, the other is refusing to try it due to bizarre preconceptions.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• speedofthepuma 28 Feb 2013 11:33:08 13,297 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Haven't you said exactly the same thing about blood/grey/brown schemes before?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:36:44 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Haven't you said exactly the same thing about blood/grey/brown schemes before?
    No, I've played to completion shitloads of games with those colour schemes, e.g. Fallout 3 which is one of my favourite games of this generation.
    Sadly, the majority of Western developed games are blood/grey/brown affairs so plenty of colour is very welcome to me as it's less often seen in modern games.

• speedofthepuma 28 Feb 2013 11:38:11 13,297 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought I remembered you slagging off the Gears series in your early days for that reason.

Might be wrong though.

• StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 11:39:17 7,255 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jesus fucking christ. I didn't mean to upset anyone, I'm not saying the Ghibli style is bad, I just don't fancy a cutesy style right now, is that OK?

Not cute does not equal greys and browns. I was really thinking more like the PS1 final fantasies. Ffxiii for example is all bloody pastel.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:40:08 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I thought I remembered you slagging off the Gears series in your early days for that reason.

Might be wrong though.
    I probably did slag the Gears games as I don't like them but can't remember as it would have been years ago. 6-7 years ago I did spout some embarassing shite though so anything is possible.

• speedofthepuma 28 Feb 2013 11:41:12 13,297 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :)

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:42:31 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Jesus fucking christ. I didn't mean to upset anyone, I'm not saying the Ghibli style is bad, I just don't fancy a cutesy style right now, is that OK?

Not cute does not equal greys and browns. I was really thinking more like the PS1 final fantasies. Ffxiii for example is all bloody pastel.
    No problem, apologies for the misunderstanding.
    Do you only own a PS3?

• Cappy 28 Feb 2013 11:47:15 11,927 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ni no Kuni does improve but you have to play a fair while to unlock the group commands which finally allow you to direct AI controlled characters to attack or defend via a press of a face button rather than delving into menus in the middle of a battle.

At that point battles become a lot more strategic. There are various strategies you can use with familiars also but discovering them by yourself could take you a while. It's a curious mixture really, sometimes the handholding is extreme.

Mr. Drippy won't let you solve certain puzzles by yourself at all, at other times you'll be left in dark entirely, I had to work some things out with a pen and paper which is pretty uncommon these days, and you'll be spending time closely studying the Wizards guide, especially if you want to clear some of the side quests.
  • StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 11:49:11 7,255 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah I got everything. Was thinking Xenoblade Chronicles might be a goof choice actually, if a little "last Gen" ;-)
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 11:50:22 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

The issue though is that most JRPGs go for a colourful palette. You'll be hard pressed really to find one that isn't. Resonance of Fate is the closest I can think of to what you're after.

I'd say Lost Odyssey, but I think that's 360 exclusive.

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:50:53 28-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:52:16 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Nah I got everything. Was thinking Xenoblade Chronicles might be a goof choice actually, if a little "last Gen" ;-)
    Definitely get Xenoblade, it's utterly outstanding and definitely the best JRPG of this gen IMO, last gen or not.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 11:59:10 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:
    Definitely get Xenoblade, it's utterly outstanding and definitely the best JRPG of this gen IMO, last gen or not.
    Plus if he has a decent pc he could run it in HD through Dolphin.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 12:00:05 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

All the reviews led me to think that, after about 8 hours I couldn't stand it any more though. The combat just never clicked with me, enemies took way too long to kill. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
    The combat system takes a while to really click, partly because of how deep it actually is - it's all about setting up synergies between characters.

That said, it's DEFINITELY in the "bright palette/ cutesy-anime art style, so might not be what he's after.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:01:21 28-02-2013

• StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 12:00:50 7,255 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Already played and completed FFIX and Lost Odyssey for the record, liked both although LO seemed to suffer from the Curse of the Pastel Palette that afflicts so many final fantasy games!
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 12:01:40 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

All the reviews led me to think that, after about 8 hours I couldn't stand it any more though. The combat just never clicked with me, enemies took way too long to kill. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
    It does take a wee while to get the hang of combat but I loved it to bits, the enormous, gorgeous landscapes to explore with no loading times, the amusing characters, decent story.. Awesome game.
    The characters and cut scenes were a bit lacking in polygons to say the least, I can't wait for the WiiU follow up.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 12:01:49 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Already played and completed FFIX and Lost Odyssey for the record, liked both although LO seemed to suffer from the Curse of the Pastel Palette that afflicts so many JRPG games!

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 12:02:59 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have you considered Final Fantasy Tactics? Disgaea? More strategic, but both have a decent story and incredibly deep combat and character customisation.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:03:14 28-02-2013

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 12:03:57 10,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

The combat system takes a while to really click, partly because of how deep it actually is - it's all about setting up synergies between characters.

That said, it's DEFINITELY in the "bright palette/ cutesy-anime art style, so might not be what he's after.
    Isn't it a bit more in the FF direction from Ni No Kuni though?
    I'd take the chance anyway as it's such a great game.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 12:05:05 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Hmm, may have to give it another shot some time.
    I definitely would. Just give it more time. It's a slow-burner. I think it was about 12 hours before I even got the titular weapon.

I'd definitely recommend giving Last Story a punt too, if you havent already.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 12:06:34 27,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Isn't it a bit more in the FF direction from Ni No Kuni though?
    I'd take the chance anyway as it's such a great game.
    Definitely. Strictly speaking though, it's debatable whether the combat is purely turned based as it's a sort of real-time/turn based hybrid based on cooldowns. In fact it takes a lot of its design cues from MMORPGs, sort of like how Kingdoms of Amalur did (except much better, obviously)

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:07:21 28-02-2013

• Page

of 3 First / Last