Soul Sacrifice Page 18

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Next
  • AaronTurner 20 Oct 2013 20:41:20 7,594 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do enjoy this game, it has a totally different atmosphere to most other games but they got a couple of things wrong. The thing that most annoys me about the game is the amount that allies repeat the same phrases during the battle, sometimes the same phrase gets repeated every 10 seconds endlessly. Is there a way to reduce this?

The other thing that they got wrong is that this game is essentially a collect 'em up / levelling grind fest but there isn't much in the menus to help the player understand what they have to get. These games are made for people with OCD so some kind of interface that let's you know how you're getting on would be nice.

But seriously, anyone know how to reduce the amount allies speak during battle?
  • Flying_Pig 20 Oct 2013 22:00:40 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I do enjoy this game, it has a totally different atmosphere to most other games but they got a couple of things wrong. The thing that most annoys me about the game is the amount that allies repeat the same phrases during the battle, sometimes the same phrase gets repeated every 10 seconds endlessly. Is there a way to reduce this?

But seriously, anyone know how to reduce the amount allies speak during battle?
    Sadly not :(
  • spindle9988 28 Dec 2013 19:17:24 3,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there a penalty for being revived by an NPC team mate?
  • Flying_Pig 28 Dec 2013 21:44:14 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not as far as I recall....
  • spindle9988 29 Dec 2013 11:28:05 3,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Not as far as I recall....
    Cool, thanks mate. Really enjoying this at the moment. Just got to the elven queen
  • SomaticSense 29 Dec 2013 12:45:04 7,959 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Love it so far. Monster Hunter without the annoying shit and horrible controls. Brilliant.

However, I do think the story gets in the way a tad. I always feel I should listen to the narrative in every game I play because of the effort that's put into it, but the storybook sections are so goddamn slow. I just want to get into the hunting!

Also, the difficulty rating system seems a bit broken. For example, an early two star rated mission (namely: Deep Forest Pumpkins) is a FUCKTON harder than later three or even four star missions. I'm well into the later missions and I'm still finding that one quest to be impossible to clear.
  • Zizoo 6 Jan 2014 12:57:13 8,113 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice is nothing like I expected. Enjoying it for what it is though.
  • Gregolution 6 Jan 2014 14:04:22 3,165 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Love it so far. Monster Hunter without the annoying shit and horrible controls. Brilliant.

and a lot less depth to the combat and game in general.

I don't think it comes close to what Monster Hunter achieved, it was a disappointment to me.

Can take ages to get used to fighting with each weapon in MH - Soul Sacrifice is just spamming whatever you take with you. The skill is in picking the right tools for the job and that's it.

I had high hopes for the game, maybe with SS2 they'll add in much needed depth.
  • FabricatedLunatic 7 Jan 2014 18:30:12 12,994 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah, I can't seem to get anywhere in this. I somehow managed to scrape my way past all the bosses up until the cyclops, but that's where my fun ended. It just won't die. It won't! Fuck me. I've given it everything I have, over and over, but there are only so many times I can spend 15 minutes on this battle only to end up dead. If the game wants me to repeatedly grind early levels, then it can sod off.

And yet everything aside from the boss fights is laughably easy. I must be doing... something wrong.
  • Flying_Pig 7 Jan 2014 20:24:40 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Bah, I can't seem to get anywhere in this. I somehow managed to scrape my way past all the bosses up until the cyclops, but that's where my fun ended. It just won't die. It won't! Fuck me. I've given it everything I have, over and over, but there are only so many times I can spend 15 minutes on this battle only to end up dead. If the game wants me to repeatedly grind early levels, then it can sod off.

And yet everything aside from the boss fights is laughably easy. I must be doing... something wrong.
    Nope - that's exactly how I found it. They key is to find out that element cyclops is and therefore what it's weak to

Such a shame, as it's a decent game let down by uneven difficulty.
  • FabricatedLunatic 9 Jan 2014 09:51:45 12,994 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems the cyclops isn't weak to any element. While scouring the internet for advice, I learned of the chain attack mechanic, whereby you attack an enemy repeatedly with an element until you confer a status ailment then attack with its dominant element (i.e. ice until frozen > lightning). That helped. As did the turn-into-a-firey-ball spell I got from defeating Jak O' Lantern x 2 (another arseache).

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Cerberus btw.
  • FanBoysSuck 9 Jan 2014 10:36:15 1,448 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm actually really liking the story and the lore in general, although I am a sucker for grim-dark gothic stuff.

I'm enjoying my time with the game, moreso than I did with the demo, (the extra story helps) and I seem to be clicking with the mechanics a lot better this time around. I still find it a bit clunky though and the time out on spells to be annoying. I'd much prefer a finite use per cast than "30 seconds hope you get some hits in" system.

I'm assuming the game still hasn't fully opened up, I'm still on the early section with the lady at the moment. I'm interested to see what other mechanics get thrown in!

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 10:36:24 09-01-2014

For the emperor!

• SomaticSense 9 Jan 2014 11:37:13 7,959 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:

and a lot less depth to the combat and game in general.

I don't think it comes close to what Monster Hunter achieved, it was a disappointment to me.

Can take ages to get used to fighting with each weapon in MH - Soul Sacrifice is just spamming whatever you take with you. The skill is in picking the right tools for the job and that's it.

I had high hopes for the game, maybe with SS2 they'll add in much needed depth.
    And that's exactly why I prefer it. Distilled monster hunting and grinding, without the near impenetrable learning curve and appalling (PSP) controls.

I nearly always prefer depth in games to those which take a shallower approach. But for a handheld game geared around the challenge of felling big beasties, this feels far purer an experience and is more enjoyable as a result. From the viewpoint of a MH player who didn't frequent wikis and Gamefaqs, it was an impossible game to enjoy at times.

Give me a simpler co-op giant creature smasher any day.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jan 2014 19:54:32 20,446 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When does Soul Sacrifice actually become good?

So far, about 45 minutes in, I have no idea what I'm doing, it all seems a bit of a mess, I'm just spamming attacks (Dynasty Warriors style) without really any idea what I should be doing as it's done a piss-poor job of explaining even the basics let alone what the actual fuck I'm meant to be doing, the voiceover work is annoying the shit out of me and I want the book to burn horribly.

I'm either really missing something (quite possibly) or this just isn't my sort of thing at all.
  • Flying_Pig 29 Jan 2014 21:44:27 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kentmonkey - SS does take a while to get going (after the first chapter) when it really opens up. I put 20 hours into it and enjoyed while I played it, but got too frustrated with the massively uneven difficulty and the (I assume) need to grind/farm for certain spells.

I do feel the need to return, but only because I want to get more out of the game (and the massive amounts of free DLC), rather that it being a particularly enjoyable experience.

Incidentally, I've never really gotten on with the MH genre in the past...
  • retro74 29 Jan 2014 22:00:04 231 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey yeah I thought exactly the same. I've given it another chance this last week though and started boosting the offerings to create some new ones

Been doing the early levels a few times to collect more offerings so I can boost them up a level or two
  • Widge Moderator 17 Feb 2014 11:51:47 13,260 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried this an a mid-night baby awake and slumbering phase over the weekend.

DID NOT LIKE THE WAY IT HANDLED.

Can't see me ever giving this attention, so thank you PSN+ for that.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Flying_Pig 18 Feb 2014 09:01:18 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice Delta coming to the US on 6th March

A seperate game from the original SS, although existing SS saves can be transferred to SSD. Maybe something like SS 1.5 rather than a true sequel?
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Feb 2014 09:50:49 1,448 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm guessing there's a new campaign considering there's a new faction and not just a massive paid for content/optimisation patch? I look forward to giving it a bash on plus in 9 months ;)

Saying that the limited edition sounds good. The anime and short story have me intrigued, the one thing I liked about SS was the story.

For the emperor!

• karlo87 29 Mar 2014 02:01:35 1,262 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been playing this again recently and the lore and story really are interesting, and the visual presentation of it is marvelous.
    But damn is it kicking my ass, I can't help but think with games like these were difficulty spikes so high and it basically stunts your progress... would it be so hard to include a difficulty level?
    You bet your ass I'd have switched to easy by now, and could carry on actually enjoying the game. The way it is though I doubt I'll see it through to the end which is a real shame.

Edited by karlo87 at 02:01:55 29-03-2014

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Flying_Pig 29 Mar 2014 15:06:18 10,687 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was the difficulty spikes which really killed SS for me. I just didn't enjoy getting my arse handed to me again and again on the same few levels.
  • MothFlesh 22 May 2014 07:50:50 240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Bump

Has anyone taken a punt on Delta? Heard it fixes a good few of the issues with the original game?
  • aros 23 May 2014 10:49:46 2,566 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Delta seems to be getting reviewed really well from the few fair review sites.
  • Murbal 23 May 2014 11:18:50 21,924 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not getting Delta seeing as I put so little time into the original. I've said it now, so I must stick to it (wish I'd said that with Toukiden too).
  • bef 3 Jun 2014 12:27:44 1,627 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MothFlesh As in difficulty spikes? Please elaborate :-)
  • MothFlesh 3 Jun 2014 13:24:24 240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @bef Sure.

Well having played it for over two weeks now this version is the definite version. uge amount of content added with two new factions. Grim revolves around fate, basically a neutral faction that randomly decides if a creature should be saved or sacrificed. Sanctuarium are a save only faction and each of these has from 4 to six additional sorcerer stories that unlock as you progress.

New weapons have been added like spears, stealth cloaks, mines and neutral ones based on each of the Fairytale bosses that have also been added to the game. Some of these are truly grotesque re-imaginings of the tale with Red Riding Hood, Snow White and many more all with a retelling of the lore. The lore section is now of novel sized proportions with new enemies, bosses and locations added. Also the multiplayer is far smoother and there seem to be more people playing it.Also monsters health can be read by the old system but they gradually start to limp around once they get down to the red zone as well as the sorcerer commenting

The bad is that as usual the difficulty can still spike at times, but your A.I companions are far more reliant in battle. You can alter sorcerers load outs so you set one sorcerer as a sole healer. This does not work in the story based elements with Magusar and the other sorcerers having set load outs.

Also some of the new weapons are quite powerful and fun to use. Overall if your hungry for more Soul Sacrifice I'd say its well worth taking a punt on this as between the new Pacts, Factions, Bazaar and refined gameplay that this is the definite version of Soul Sacrifice but is still hindered by some bosses, but nothing that a bit of weapon grinding won't fix. I can't say what bonuses are imported from the original sacrifice saves but I'm sure you get something .

Pros
    Huge amount of content.
    Better A.I and smoother gameplay.
    Balanced weapons, a mix of defensive, stealth, health short mid and long range
    More Monsters, Lore, locations.

Cons
    Some Monsters are still a bit cheap.

Hope that helps
  • bef 3 Jun 2014 20:15:12 1,627 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MothFlesh Thank you sir. That is a most elaborate anwser! I will download the demo and keep this in mind.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Next