of 18 First / Last

• Gregolution 3 May 2013 19:39:33 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Several years later, chapter 5 is seriously tough. Failed 3 times now
  • Ghibli 3 May 2013 20:33:16 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been mullered several times by the slime one. Just can't get past it right now.
  • Gregolution 3 May 2013 21:19:25 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh the big treasure slime? Also tough!

I keep finding these really powerful offerings I don't remember earning. With 3 gold prongs on the icon. Sometimes twice the power of my normal abilities. Where the hell did they come from?

Went online as well... But not impressed. I grouped with a skill 50/50 guy who facerolled everything. Shouldn't there be level matching?
  • heavy_salad 3 May 2013 21:56:51 716 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't know if this has been covered (this thread seems to have grown quickly), but I have bought a physical copy of this and can't seem to find a way to carry my save game over from the demo? When I load the game up the only option is to start a new game.

Not a major issue cos I wasn't far in anyway, and might start a fresh anyway, but I heard you get a bonus for carrying on a save from the demo?

EDIT: Nevermind - when I pressed 'new game' it found my save and loaded it.

Edited by heavy_salad at 22:48:05 03-05-2013
  • Ghibli 3 May 2013 23:16:40 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's confusing, but new save will find the old save and give you the bonuses. See also my post from the previous page about getting the bonus content. =)

@Greg, yeah that's the fella. =)
  • Ghibli 4 May 2013 01:05:43 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ooh. Just came across that contradiction bit @gregolution. That's a doozy, I'll have to totally rethink my strategy for the slime now. I was quite pleased with myself, nailing it in sub 4 mins. =)
  • Daeltaja 4 May 2013 13:14:04 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is there any value in starting again from my demo save? I got up to level 4/9 and cleared the first chapter but I sort of rushed the demo and didn't really have any sort of clue what was going on (still don't)

I bought it yesterday (love the reversable sleeve and 1 month plus trial!)
    but have yet to get stuck in.

It seems like a massively deep game and feel it may be of benefit to start on a clean slate and actually read things and digest stuff. Hmm!

PS. If anyone has any spare DLC codes (seems there was some duplicates sent around and Sony were emailing them out too) I wouldn't mind getting my paws on one :p

Edited by Daeltaja at 13:25:58 04-05-2013
  • CannonAnBall 4 May 2013 18:00:54 751 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started again. I just thought, "Lets start again, do it properly." - the demo didn't click until later.

I'm up to a monster called 'Cyclops'. He's a bastard. Trying not to use my black rite.
  • Ghibli 4 May 2013 20:38:49 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can replay any chapter you like though, right?

As for Black Rite, I'm definitely treating it as a last resort. I've only just scraped the 100 lacrima (/shudder) I needed to get my skin back. I think I'll only ever use it when I've got enough lacrima to get it back again.

Similar for sacrificing in SP. They've actually made the consequences for sacrificing an ally in SP severe enough for me to think twice about it. Especially if it's an ally that proves useful in the field. I've just had a huge battle with two Jack O Lanterns which eventually required sacrificing both allies. Absolutely last resort move, and it still required some serious dodging and weaving to finish them off, in fact I came close to using my Black Rite, but the thought of all those eye scrapings made me hold on just a bit longer. It really is very effective at making you value keeping it in your back pocket.

Actually that battle was really the first one where I started to think about builds properly. I had to focus on heat res, plus frost attacks and shield, with one spot for area of effect healing. Seemed pretty effective, but I really had to use every renewal tree I could find.

It's really coming together now IMO.

Edited by Ghibli at 20:40:14 04-05-2013
  • Gregolution 4 May 2013 21:42:33 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm enjoying it more too. I'm still not completely sold on the combat, but the difficulty is ramping up so fast it's becoming really interesting and rewarding. Hopefully it keeps getting better.
  • Daeltaja 4 May 2013 22:28:17 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm in the girlfriends for the weekend and forgot my Vita charger, so it's just sitting there taunting me. However, I've been reading up a lot about it and the depth seems crazy. Like how if you freeze an enemy and unleash an electric attack on it, it does extra damage.

Cant wait to get stuck in.
  • Ghibli 5 May 2013 13:41:41 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gregolution any tips for the second slime? I'm struggling with finding its vulnerability. I think I'm doing more damage with venom but haven't seen a vulnerability message during the fight.

Had it down to red too. Should have used my black rite. =(
  • Ghibli 5 May 2013 15:21:51 63 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scratch that, got past it by loading up with all heavy venom weapons. Was still a battle but I didn't need my Black Rite. Which was just as well well because it helped me finish off the Elven Queen at the end of Several Years Later. I had nowt left to fling at her and had used up what seemed to the last of the offering renewal points and she was at orange. 21 minutes in I took a chance on it and it finished her outright. Thankfully.

Figured out what her vulnerability was at the end. I'd taken entirely the wrong build in.

As an aside, it seems that the lacrima cost to get your skin back maxes out at 100.

Edited by Ghibli at 15:23:23 05-05-2013
  • Daeltaja 5 May 2013 22:14:47 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hey guys, my psn ID is Daeltaja if anyone wants to team up/compare scores etc. Drop your ID alternatively and I can add yee.

Really enjoying this now, upgrading skills is addictive, as is trying out various builds.

Good stuff!
  • Gregolution 6 May 2013 20:06:00 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    2 jack o lanterns fight was excellent ;)
  • Gregolution 7 May 2013 08:38:36 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok so I'm getting more into this game now. I can see how much the ratings mean to a fight. Doing jack o lanterns and scraping through is almost pointless, I get virtually nothing from it - maybe 1 average offering. I'm now testing out a load out specifically for that fight to see what sort of things I get from doing well.

There's a lot of scope for tactically setting up your load outs and playing well rather than just mindlessly grinding. I like that a lot.
  • FanBoysSuck 7 May 2013 09:35:43 1,453 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm really not clicking with this game. I love the concept, the story seems quite cool and the aesthetic is pretty but the combat itself is lacking. You get limited spell casts but it doesn't tell you how many you have left. There's elemental weaknesses but no sign that said element is doing any more or less damage, just a bonus at the end of the stage (unless I'm missing something popping up during all the magic flying around). The enemies could also do with health bars.

I can see this going down as a flawed gem, although they could patch the issues I've got with it to make it truly great. I'm glad I cancelled my pre order anyway.

For the emperor!

• Flying_Pig 7 May 2013 09:41:40 10,722 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started the demo this morning - interesting start, and liking the style and look a lot. Combat is a bit problematic for me - I don't know what the problem is, it just feels clunky and a touch aimless...

I've got the full game waiting to be played once I've finished the demo, but hope the combat 'clicks' or SS may well end up in the Swapsies thread...
  • aros 7 May 2013 10:03:06 2,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love this game. The lore is brilliant, reading through each new entry before quests is awesome. I feel really powerful now despite only being about 6/22 life/magic. The game does an amazing job of making you feel like you are getting stronger. I'm almost 15 hours in and only feel like I've scratched the surface of what this game has to offer.

Anyone who wants some online is welcome to add me - aros2011

Perhaps we should do some forum quests? If we stick a password on and call the room Eurogamer or something at a prearranged time?

FBS - your issues are part of the design. When someone is sacrificed you can see health bars. It will pop up that it's the monsters weakness when you use the element they are weak against. Your spells will begin to flash when they are running low and a big 'xxxx is almost out of power!' will pop up when you are down to one use. When this happens either sacrifice/save a monster for a small boost to your number of uses or use minds eye to find a spot to refill your offerings. (These are normally a tree/flag/barrel or pile of bones although some other things can be, look for an object with a solid white outline in minds eye. The wavey white bits in minds eye are boosts.)

It really is a great game and the depth in it is unbelievable with you being able to have any number of different builds. It's a 9/10 so far for me. The quick chat menu for online is really well designed and the quick phrases will be fantastic when it comes to fighting end game monsters.

What builds have you guys gone for? I'm pure DPS at the moment, one hit from a monster almost kills me!

It's no way a 7/10 when assessed reasonably against other handheld games rather than against home consoles.

If you've ever played World of Warcraft the game is like a more fun version of that.

Edited by aros at 10:04:03 07-05-2013
  • aros 7 May 2013 10:05:26 2,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Several years later, chapter 5 is seriously tough. Failed 3 times now
    Farm spells from previous fights to power up what you have and play some online fights to get some stronger spells too. The fuse menu is a must - try to fuse any 'element: none' spells into ones with an element so that you can take advantage of an enemies weaknesses. What type of set up do you have?
  • hypoBla5t 7 May 2013 12:55:08 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Check this website and you should be rinsing the bosses. The elements of your offerings make a huge difference:

http://uk.gamespot.com/soul-sacrifice/forum/monster-weaknesses-and-how-to-detonate-66093552/
  • aros 7 May 2013 13:44:22 2,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tempting but that's surely like cheating *thumbs down*
  • hypoBla5t 7 May 2013 19:49:26 1,363 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So you've never had someone in a lobby suggest that you use a certain element against a certain boss? Is following that advice cheating? Interesting standpoint old bean.

Anyways, does anyone know what I need to do to unlock chapter 5? Done all the Avalon pacts I can possibly do, as well as all the branchy ones I think. Do you need to do all the Magusar pacts as well?

EDIT: Ah. Think I missed few branchy ones. Will try those ones.

Edited by hypoBla5t at 20:28:22 07-05-2013
  • Daeltaja 7 May 2013 21:59:27 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This game has some incredible depth. I'm hooked on returning to older quests and getting Legendary Sorcerer on them all to unlock the final offerings.

Free DLC with 6 new bosses coming over the next month and a half too, great stuff!
  • aros 8 May 2013 11:56:05 2,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just don't think reading guides is the best way to have fun with a game - isn't half the fun finding out the information for yourself? Or, yes, being told by someone who has found out for themself?

I've got to the Cerburus in the main story mode and it destroyed me :-\ I think I can't be specced so strongly for DPS over defence :(
  • Daeltaja 8 May 2013 14:13:41 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    aros wrote:
    I just don't think reading guides is the best way to have fun with a game - isn't half the fun finding out the information for yourself? Or, yes, being told by someone who has found out for themself?

I've got to the Cerburus in the main story mode and it destroyed me :-\ I think I can't be specced so strongly for DPS over defence :(
    He nuked me too, but I equipped some Golems and Iron eggs and nuked his ass

Spolier: (You only need to get his health to half before the quest completes, my level was 13/21)
  • Gregolution 8 May 2013 17:54:09 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So how do you very legendary status? I'm finding it quite hard.

It's a weird game. Can see why it didn't get stellar reviews but I keep playing it. I'm getting some unusual abilities now and can't understand why I'd use them but assume there must be a reason... That drives me on too. Something addictive about it for certain
  • Gregolution 8 May 2013 18:03:04 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also is there a good way to find out where to get certain offerings? I see things I need in the fuse menu but can't figure out where to get them (such as chest of fortune)
  • FanBoysSuck 8 May 2013 18:10:43 1,453 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm having more fun with this now I'm understanding things a bit more (thanks to whoever cleared up a few things for me) but I'm still not liking the feel of the combat. All my attacks feel really sluggish. I'll keep at it and see if it clicks.

For the emperor!

• Gregolution 8 May 2013 19:00:42 3,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck

The attacks feel a bit sluggish in the same way they do in monster hunter, to force you to time your attacks properly.

Regarding your previous complaint about health bar, you should be using minds eye (down on control pad)
  • Page

of 18 First / Last