DayZ Page 3

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• Whizzo 9 May 2012 18:25:57 43,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd hold fire until some more servers turn up, getting on one is rather tricky at the moment.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 9 May 2012 18:29:55 38,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• urban 9 May 2012 18:33:41 10,978 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Went to my storage place today and picked up two things.
  • mouse Moderator 9 May 2012 22:08:11 10,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After about 90 minutes of trying and failing managed to get on a server just now for about an hour. It's really cool, thick with atmosphere. You can go long stretches alone with nothing happening, but it always feels like there's something around the corner, and when something finally does happen, it's a big panicky mess and a relief when it's over.

The day / night cycles are very very slow, so much so that I only got to play at night, but it feels like thats when the game will be at its best because it's so tense. I jumped at shadows more than once, catching a glimpse of a zombie or another player in the darkness before losing sight of them completely. Love it.
  • mouse Moderator 9 May 2012 22:14:49 10,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BTW the combined pack is cheaper on gamersgate than steam at the moment.
  • monkehhh 9 May 2012 22:15:38 3,426 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mouse Pretty sure that the time in-game is the actual time the server is located at, so if I connected to a server in London at 3am it would be 3am in game. Disclaimer - may have made this up.
  • mouse Moderator 9 May 2012 22:22:09 10,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think you may be telling porkies, the moon looked like it had moved a fair way when I looked up. But of course, not fast enough for it to become daylight within the hour.
  • monkehhh 9 May 2012 22:25:56 3,426 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Googling seems to support my theory, I think the moon is a lie.
  • mouse Moderator 9 May 2012 22:28:38 10,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting! That's me told.
  • magicpanda 9 May 2012 22:32:06 13,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its true. Dayz time is real time depending on server location. Ive been playing on the NY servers, ping isnt too bad and i get some daylight.

My 2nd character is coming up to 4 hours old now. Ive got a nice stash of gear but its coming to the point where im going need to kill a man for for his beans. If i survive the airfield i logged off near i might hit the coast and see uf i can find a boat to live on.
  • Metalfish 9 May 2012 23:11:52 8,834 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I will probably dig up a copy of CO (I'm told it's the same as buying the expansions separately). A few questions:

What's the availability of vehicles? I'm guessing pretty damn limited, though one of the above vids shows a pretty damn impressive raid team using a chopper.

What's the "base" situation like? I assume you can't just leave your stuff lying around for later, do you stash it or something?

What percentage of players just shoot everything that moves?
  • monkehhh 9 May 2012 23:28:47 3,426 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mouse I wasn't sure myself 'til I got Google confirmation :)

The base of the idea is so simple, but it looks like it's gonna lead to so many possibilities ("real-time emergent gameplay, bro!"). Can't wait 'til I can get my hands on OA and spend some time actually in the game.
  • LFMartins 10 May 2012 00:40:59 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:

What's the availability of vehicles? I'm guessing pretty damn limited, though one of the above vids shows a pretty damn impressive raid team using a chopper.
    They are rare and they are all broken at first, you need to collect scrap metal, windshields, wheels and other stuff to fix it.

What's the "base" situation like? I assume you can't just leave your stuff lying around for later, do you stash it or something?
    There is no place you can store something and be sure that no one picks it up. You donŽt lose anything when you log off, youŽll start with the same equipment you had the next time you log in.

What percentage of players just shoot everything that moves?

Not that big, shooting attracts zombies and tells other players where you are. Also, if you kill a human player before he shoots you, youŽll get a bandit skin so people will know that you killed before and are less likely to trust you. You should never trust someone completely, donŽt turn you back on them or they will shoot you in the back.
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 00:49:02 16,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't stop playing.

Can't believe I haven't been killed yet. Although death did come close once. During a raid on a supermarket, a crawling zombie knocked me over and took a gash out of me. I was unable to bandage myself. Without friends nearby I'd have been dead.

I'm pretty pimped out at the moment. Got an L85 (SA-80) with Holo and a ton of ammo for it. Also have an M1911, as powerful as the revolver but with better handling. A .45 caliber handgun is the way to go for clearing zoms from buildings.

9mm weapons (or thereabouts) just don't have the stopping power. A headshot will do the job, but you can miss. Much better to have someting you can aim at COM and know it'll put them down. The Stanag ammo for the Western rifles is low power too, so a rifle that has excellent semi-auto handling is what you'll want. Double-tap everyhting! Find an AK though and you'll have the power to stop undead with one shot, they're a bit loud though.

The Winchester and the Lee-Enfield are superb weapons. The former has a great 'clip' size and firing rate, perfect for zombies. The latter weapon has a lot of power and accuracy, in skilled hands it's something to be feared. It's major downside is that it's one of the loudest weapons.

Sniper rifles are not for zombie killing. You have nothing to gain from sniping a zombie that is oblivious to you. All it will do is attract humans and zombies. The time to use a sniper rifle is when hunting the deadliest of game.

Weapons to avoid:
    Makarov: You may need up to half a clip to kill something
    PDW: A micro-SMG may sound like an awesome idea, but it's far too weak
    MP5: Again, too weak. But consider the MP5-SD for clearing zombies if you can find the ammo for it.
    Crossbow: A body shot from this isn't enough. Only pick up if you don't have a rifle yet
    M104 (.50 cal sniper): Takes up too much space. Utterly pointless. Complete overkill against anything but vehicles.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• El_MUERkO 10 May 2012 01:18:49 17,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    The Dev of this mod is an employee of Bohemia Interactive.

I kind of hope they run with it for Arma 3 as really polished DLC.
    He's said it already runs in ARMA3 :)

Roll on the post-E3 ARMA3 beta!
  • BillMurray 10 May 2012 01:35:15 7,805 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, decided not to go on the servers at night. Feel like I have a better chance of surviving in the daytime! Now I've got some loot I'm feeling quite protective of it.
  • Rusty_M 10 May 2012 06:52:14 4,774 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a quick go of this the previous two nights. Ended up dying when shot out of hand. I love the mist at night and the sense that you could always be a second away from death.

Using TrackIR to look around adds to spatial awareness, but also somewhat heightens the tension, I think due to the more natural feeling of looking all about you but still not being able to see much in the darkness. I'll have to try it during the day on Saturday.

One of the few genuinely scary games I've played.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 09:56:53 13,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Right, decided not to go on the servers at night. Feel like I have a better chance of surviving in the daytime! Now I've got some loot I'm feeling quite protective of it.
    The more loot you get the more paranoid you get. :) Try the NY servers for daylight and reasonable ping.

I'm right up in the North West near Myshkino and I've not seen another alive player for what seems like hours, found a few dead ones in the woods buzzing with flies which scared the living crap out of me, I felt properly hunted for a while.

I've decided against hitting the North West Airfield after reading some stories about it being a Bandits paradise so I'll stick with my trusty Winchester and revolver for now. If i get a sniper rifle or Binos I may scope it out.
  • brokenkey 10 May 2012 10:03:06 7,090 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    all this bandit talk, makes it sound like Eve with Zombies.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 10:09:22 13,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    all this bandit talk, makes it sound like Eve with Zombies.
    You are not far off the mark there. Reminds me of Stalker the most.
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 10:10:21 13,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tiger_Walts Do you know much about Vehicles? If they are persistent etc. What happens when you log off inside one?
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 10:12:06
    Reading the thread on SomethingAwful about this and it sounds great.

A bunch of Goons going on raids in helicopters and griefing the fuck out of people.
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 10:17:39 13,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah there are some proper Sociopaths playing this.
  • Rusty_M 10 May 2012 10:25:18 4,774 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We should get a few of us together to play this

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 10:27:17 16,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    @Tiger_Walts Do you know much about Vehicles? If they are persistent etc. What happens when you log off inside one?
    I believe vehicles should persist for at least 2 server restarts. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics. As for logging out while in one... I have no idea.

• Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 10:38:17 12,828 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dear Steam,
    Please do a weekend OA sale.
    Regards

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• corstick 10 May 2012 11:03:57 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By the sound of it, it's selling too well already to put on sale. Very tempted myself but I may wait til things stabilise a bit.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 11:05:10 7,380 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get the ArmA X box off Game or Gamestation. That's got everything in it for Ł15, and it comes with some nice maps.
  • Xeaon 10 May 2012 11:06:47 608 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started playing and by 5 mins in i'd already shot someone, am I a bad person? Or just an excellent survivor? :D
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 11:09:56 16,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Xeaon wrote:
    Started playing and by 5 mins in i'd already shot someone, am I a bad person? Or just an excellent survivor? :D
    Did they have cool loot?

YES > Excellent Survivor
    NO > They probably deserved it

• Page

of 76 First / Last