DayZ - An ARMA II Mod about Zombie Apocalypse Page 5

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 13:53:32 13,006 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you want some single player Zombie flavoured Arma II action. Check these out.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12136

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14211

Trouble is they are shit compared to this and not at all open ended.

Edited by magicpanda at 14:03:40 10-05-2012
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 13:53:33 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let's build our own zombie game. With blackjack. And hookers.

Actually, forget the blackjack and hookers.

I'm serious though. Every other person in the world has a kickstarter now, we could do an EG project.
  • Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 13:58:56 12,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @tincanrocket

It would likely be an every man for himself situation, which I guess is why PvP is on. The point though is that if everyone is always doing it then it becomes a death match with zombies, it's much more interesting if there are loose alliances and people turning on each other at key moments rather than shoot on sight.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 13:59:30 10-05-2012

Portable view - Never forget.

• PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 14:03:42 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It could be done by giving major advantages to working in a group. You could buff stats when players are are part of a squad with other players, or even just in close proximity, simple things like slowing the time it takes to become hungry or thirsty, health boosts, extra ammo, simulating the effect of helping each other. That way players who decided to go renegade might steal some decent loot but then find that they struggle once they're alone.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 14:04:21 10-05-2012
  • Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 14:07:08 12,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, I just imagined a group making camp 'for the night' and logging on the next day to find that one of them nicked all the stuff and left note saying "Sorry guys". Followed by a week long hunt to find the thief and bring them righteous retribution.

As for making our own Zombie game, sure why not :p

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 14:07:55 13,006 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They just need a proper consequence for cold blooded murder which makes doing it a much, much more difficult choice to weigh up.

Like Mr-Brett said Death Match with Zombies is no fun at all.

Edited by magicpanda at 14:08:29 10-05-2012
  • figgis 10 May 2012 14:12:20 7,382 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Griefing is an essential part of the game. The Zombies are fairly easy to deal with in small numbers, seeing another player is much more frightening.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 14:15:25
    Griefers are always going to be a problem with free-for-all MMO style games. It's part and parcel of being able to amass a group to gang up on smaller groups or individuals.

The EVE griefing that Goonswarm do is ridiculous. They can make the game intolerable for a large portion of the playerbase at the drop of a hat.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 14:15:59 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @figgis

In a way, but it needs to be kept in check. You've got to have some kind of penalty for killing other people.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 14:22:04 10-05-2012
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 14:44:29 16,517 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suggest that if your Humanity drops low enough, you should turn into a dog or a boar. The only way to gain humanity would be to kill bandits. Sure, there'll inevitably be packs of animals charging all humans on sight, but that's kind of awesome.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• LFMartins 10 May 2012 15:18:21 5,704 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Mind you, some sort of notoriety system would certainly help identify those who need targetting.
    There is. Once you kill a human player your character skin changes to a bandit skin.
  • mrharvest 10 May 2012 15:21:51 5,155 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Permadeath. Once you are killed you can't start a new character, ever. There's a reason why people in the real world aren't killing each other all the time for short term gains: we've got permadeath on (except maybe if you are Buddhist). :)
  • tincanrocket 10 May 2012 15:49:03 2,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LFMartins wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Mind you, some sort of notoriety system would certainly help identify those who need targetting.
    There is. Once you kill a human player your character skin changes to a bandit skin.
    I see. But, lets say that I encounter a non-bandit human player, who tries to kill me, and i kill them in self defence, do I then get a bandit skin? Man, it's like The Fugitive - how would I clear my name?

The man with the prosthetic arm did it, honest

Edited by tincanrocket at 15:49:28 10-05-2012
  • LFMartins 10 May 2012 15:50:46 5,704 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You donīt get a bandit skin if you kill them in self defence, I think.
  • figgis 10 May 2012 16:03:24 7,382 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I killed someone who didn't answer when I asked them if they were a friendly. My skin didn't change, but I am down for 1 murder on my record.
  • Xeaon 10 May 2012 16:13:41 608 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think you need to goto negative humanity to become a bandit, although it seems it doesn't revert back to 'survivor' once you're positive again.
  • Rusty_M 10 May 2012 16:14:49 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One thing that would be good would be to make healing oneself next to useless and make healing someone else very effective. Perhaps even grant further bonuses if two people team up to heal one teammate. Then at least it becomes a team death match with zombies, but teams can form/ disband on an ad hoc basis

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 17:21:36 16,517 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You gain humanity when you heal someone else. There are also some medical procedures that you can't perform on yourself, like blood transfusions. If heavily injured you may also be incapacitated to the point that you can't even bandage yourself.

• PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 17:22:45 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Let's do it. I assume you know about coding and 3D modelling.
  • monkehhh 10 May 2012 22:07:13 3,125 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/
  • Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 22:40:49 12,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    About 3D modelling yes, code not so much :)

• BillMurray 10 May 2012 22:44:45 7,235 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone managed to get into a server this evening?
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 22:55:14 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Anyone managed to get into a server this evening?
    Yeah, then got booted 'cos my version was out of date.

Mr-Brett wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    About 3D modelling yes, code not so much :)
    Oh, well, there we go then. Just need someone to code now.

Srsly.
  • Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 23:01:11 12,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Super srsly?

• PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 23:06:17 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck yeah.
  • FWB 10 May 2012 23:24:15 41,923 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why not take this idea and make it a 8 or 16bit app; Zelda style?
  • BillMurray 11 May 2012 01:32:53 7,235 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just had a session which mostly involved me wandering around in the wilderness and passing out every 500 yards. Finally made it to one city, found an enfield and then broke my legs as i passed out on a ladder. Had morphine, bandages and painkillers but couldn't seem to select any of them? Decided then was the best time to log off so i'll see what happens next time I have a go.
  • Tiger_Walts 11 May 2012 01:55:39 16,517 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deaded!

Bit of bad luck, some bandits came close while I was waiting for a friend who had crashed out. We saw them first but we didn't have a good spot to take them. My friend took an opportunity to take one out but the others got us. They were very happy with the loot they got off us.

Respawned near the SE tip of the coastline, pretty much the opposite side of the map. The latest version has screwed up item an zombie spawning. I got almost half way across the map and encountered NOTHING. I had the fortune to run into the corpse of a survivor. He had a CZ 550 with ammo and a revolver with no ammo. He also had an ALICE pack rammed with medical goodies. No map or compass, but he did have binos. Tried to continue NW while taking a wide berth of Stary Sobor, the military camp there is a Bandit magnet. However I had been using the Sun for navigation and as it movesd westward my bearing turned northward.

I ended up in the area of the map with no real landmarks. I found my location when I spotted the tower for Devil's Castle. It was to the SW, I was waaaaay off course. I now made a bee-line to the NW airfiled to meet up with my buddy who had spawned on the South coast and managed to find many a corpse with good stuff on them, during his Northward trek.

The story goes on from there and I may or may not have shot my buddy, but I did patch him up and my Humanity is quite high now. Got my hands on an AK-74 SU Kobra... nice for up close, bag of shite at distance. I had a bandit in my sights, the bullets all missed. The jammy sod also had desync issues on his side. He logged out though as we had him cornered in one of the hangers.

Later we found me a much better gun. An M4 CCO SD, with 4 SD mags. A later forage found 4 more SD mags. Perfect for killing animals or clearing zombies without drawing attention.

• Rusty_M 11 May 2012 06:59:20 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was on the same server as you for a while. Not much happened. I encountered only one other survivor, and I think there was a big desync, as he popped out of the ground randomly and his actions made no sense. I found a 1911, which was great, but I thought it had more than 1 clip. I now have no ammo, so I think I'm in quite a bit of trouble.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• monkehhh 11 May 2012 09:57:42 3,125 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been messing about in the Arma 2 tutorial in preparation, the MOUT course is rock solid!
  • Page

of 76 First / Last