Galaxy S III Page 3

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 August 2012 12:42:41
    That will be referring to the new version of the hardware that has 64gb built in.
  • mrpon 20 Aug 2012 12:43:58 29,588 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the Connectors bit: MicroSD (up to 64GB)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 20 August 2012 12:44:45
    Ah righto.
  • Kay 20 Aug 2012 16:07:33 17,971 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, any recommended/essential apps for the phone? Aside from the usual.

I'd like a better mail app than the stock one, unfortunately all of the ones I've tried on the store have had various issues.
  • White_Shadow 20 Aug 2012 17:16:40 2,537 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've read that K-9 was quite good, although I didn't really like the way it looked.
  • DodgyPast 20 Aug 2012 17:41:26 8,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:
    I've read that K-9 was quite good, although I didn't really like the way it looked.
    So have I though currently running the stock AOKP one.

I'd say either Nova or Apex launcher combined with APW widgets. Plus the SwiftKey keyboard. Flipboard can while away some time.
  • White_Shadow 20 Aug 2012 18:03:00 2,537 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Swiftkey is great. Didn't realise how much I liked it until my trial ran out and I had to go back to the stock keyboard - I bought the full version within 10 minutes.

Nova and Apex are good (I've tried them both), but neither ran as smoothly as Touchwiz, and I actually quite like it.
  • DodgyPast 20 Aug 2012 18:21:02 8,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:
    Yeah Swiftkey is great. Didn't realise how much I liked it until my trial ran out and I had to go back to the stock keyboard - I bought the full version within 10 minutes.

Nova and Apex are good (I've tried them both), but neither ran as smoothly as Touchwiz, and I actually quite like it.
    Can widgets now scroll in touchwiz? I have Facebook and my RSS feeds available and scrollable on homescreens.
  • Kay 20 Aug 2012 19:35:43 17,971 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:
    That seems to be the best-reviewed one, and although I did like the interface (it's the only one that seems to be able to format HTML emails to fit the screen), it kept on bringing up old emails as new (with latest timestamps) on all my accounts. Couldn't find a way to fix it and it was annoying enough to put me off.

Also had a problem over the weekend with adding my work exchange account on the stock app. Decided not to keep it on (as it needed me to encrypt the device) but then found that, even after removing all traces of the account, I still couldn't go back and change the lockscreen security settings! Googled solutions to no avail, and in the end a factory reset was the only solution. Almost put me off the phone (and Android) completely.

Edited by Kay at 19:37:59 20-08-2012
  • mrpon 21 Aug 2012 12:31:39 29,588 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Kay 21 Aug 2012 12:59:43 17,971 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tinkering is all well and good, but it also means you have to be careful of what you do/install on the phone. I was sent spam to my notification bar the other day, had to install scanning software to find out it had come from a live wallpaper I had installed from the store. Might actually have to install an anti-virus as well!

My 64GB card didn't work last night btw, although I suspect it's a dodgy card as Windows couldn't format it either. Will have to return, and might just get a 32B instead.
  • Tricky 21 Aug 2012 13:08:39 4,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I feel like I haven't even tinkered the surface yet.
    This sounds like a horrible euphemism.
  • SandMulls 2 Sep 2012 08:27:28 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm one who is looking into the S3 and loving it too but I'm not the type to go about installing deleting etc applications or files as I'm afraid that I might not get it back into its original state. I'm more of the end user and no really care what goes behind the software and OS running it.
  • Darren 15 Sep 2012 23:10:24 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile today and I absolutely love it which isn't a surprise when you consider I've upgraded from a 5-6 year old Motorola RAZR v3i flip-phone.

It has 16 GB of internal storage with 11 GB free but I want to add a microSD card (this is the reason I went for this phone and not an iPhone). Does this phone take 64 GB cards or is the 32 GB the max? I want to transfer a load of MP3s onto the phone so I want as much space as possible and I know from my PS Vita that the space soon goes.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 15 September 2012 23:20:47
    Takes 64.
  • Darren 15 Sep 2012 23:38:28 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks. :)

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 16 Sep 2012 00:24:24 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I load up the Internet app the screen dims a lot compared with other apps - is there any way to stop that happening? Thanks.

• Deleted user 16 September 2012 00:26:35
    If its the default browser press Menu > Colours and there's several to choose from.
  • Darren 16 Sep 2012 00:29:00 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Again, many thanks, Boab.

• ElNuevo9 16 Sep 2012 07:38:43 13,607 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The stock browser is pretty gash, you'd be much better off with Chrome or Firefox. You can set them as your default browser too.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• D_arkTrooper 16 Sep 2012 11:05:46 1,350 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quick question for all the SGSIII owners out there.....

Can anyone tell me if, while using the built in FM radio, you can use the the handsets speaker to output the sound as opposed to just using the earphones (which I know have to be connected anyway)?

Thanks in advance.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• CharlieStCloud 16 Sep 2012 11:20:10 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I believe you can because some silly sod was playing his music (radio?) out of his Galaxy S III speakers on the Tube when the Olympics were on in London.

... I hope you won't annoy Tube travellers like that silly sod!

p.s. I am not a Galaxy S III owner though.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2012 11:23:26
    The latest version of Chrome is quite unstable when entering text. I'd avoid it for now.

Edited by Boab at 11:23:47 16-09-2012
  • D_arkTrooper 16 Sep 2012 11:29:54 1,350 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha :-D

Cheers Charlie....and no, I won't be playing music loudly and annoying everyone ;-) It would just be for listening to the live local football matches which my iPhone 4 won't let me do.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Darren 17 Sep 2012 08:25:48 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm absolutely loving the S3 after a couple of days playing around with it and learning what it is capable of (so much more than I expected!).

It is very fast in use with a slick interface and the internet works flawlessly and speedily thanks it using my router's 5 GHz band. Videos, whether YouTube or Play Store ones start instantly and they're HD too. Very impressed with that. Even my PC doesn't seem capable of that at times (which is odd when you consider they share the same connections).

I've bought/downloaded a handful of games including NOVA 3, Aspault 7, Frontline Commando, Real Racing 2, ShadowGun, etc. and as you'd imagine I've managed to use almost all of the 16 GB storage so the 64 GB card I ordered cannot come soon enough. There's tons of stuff to download, including lots of freebies, from both the Samsung Apps and Play Store so I don't how anyone gets by with just 16 GB. I want my phone to double up as an MP3 player (I'll likely restrict the music to 16 or 24 GB though).

There's not a lot I don't like about the phone apart from the surprising way that some apps I'd downloaded crashed (one actually froze my phone). I suspect that is due to low memory though as it is surprising how quickly that 1 GB of internal RAM is used up and how many apps are running. I haven't yet worked out how you jump from one open app to another... can you even do that? Anyway, things I'm not so keen on include:

1. It's clumsy the way you can't rearrange apps on the screens without deleting one first to make way for the others to slide around. I did manage it at one point somehow by changing the View option but I can't remember how. Selecting Menu > Edit Page should give you the option IMO as it feels a little clumsy compared with, say, my PS Vita. It also takes an age to move from one page to another when I have the icon at the edge of the screen.

2. I had used all by 450 MB of my internal memory so ShadowGun wouldn't work properly and crashed first time I ran it. However, more annoying was the fact that small under 5 MB apps would not download and install because there was "insufficient storage space". Erm, what?

3. I used the Samsung Kies software to transfer some MP3s over from my PC, which was astonishly fast compared with the PS Vita software I use to do the same thing, but it doesn't mimic the folder structure of my PC (Artist / Album / Songs) so tracks with the same name, say, from an album and compilation by the same group would not copy. OK, so ideally you don't want multiple versions of the same songs anyway but I found it annoying nevertheless that it didn't copy exactly what I wanted.

4. The FM Radio would not output to the speakers even though I selected that option from the Menu button. It kept asking me to insert the earphones. Why if I want to use the speakers?

There are a few other minor gripes like the iffy voice detection which sometimes astonishes me when I ask it a question and it picks up what I said perfectly and then baffles me as to why it is so hit and miss when I use the same feature to unlock the phone.

By the way, an app called Screebl is absolutely essential if you want to stop this phone blanking its screen every 10 seconds, especially in a dark room at night when the face recognition doesn't work properly.

Terrific phone, love it. :)

Edited by Darren at 08:31:00 17-09-2012

• Darren 17 Sep 2012 08:28:16 9,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P.S. Downloaded some free books and love how it can be used as a kindle. Always wanted to re-read Sherlock Holmes and Alice in Wonderland but are their any standalone Book/Kindle like apps so I can do it as currenly I have to go through the Play Store?

• Dougs 17 Sep 2012 08:43:33 69,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a Kindle app, plus e-reader apps like Stanza.
  • Destria 17 Sep 2012 08:48:51 2,836 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I@Darren The FM Radio uses the headphones as an antenna I believe, hence it needs them in
  • Page

of 15 First / Last