Half-Life 3 Page 8

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Steve_Perry 18 Mar 2013 18:29:01 3,809 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I would love more of a sandbox. With HL2 I never felt that I could really control anything. It was just an action movie on rails where I could occasionally point myself to shoot some dumb bad guys.

Sure, lots of other games these days are like that. But the world of HL2 was so beautiful that I wanted to explore more of it without getting shunted through to the next scripted event.
    But that's HL isn't it? If it goes open like other shooters it won't really be HL. Not saying it shouldn't change, but if they strap on a load of RPG elements and make me pick up 'loot' from dead corpses I will consider HL finished at EP2. Other games can do just that. I love the beautiful world and the amazing way Valve present a story. It is like an action movie on rails, and I love it like that.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Dirtbox 18 Mar 2013 18:45:54 77,633 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Complete rot.

If it follows the openness of something like the Stalker series then it'll be a step in the right direction. Another tedious and utterly unchallenging corridor shooter is not what the world needs.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:47:35 18-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Steve_Perry 18 Mar 2013 18:52:18 3,809 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Each to their own. I found STALKER a chore. Anything as linear as HL2 would not be well received, and I agree the series will need to evolve, but I wouldn't be too chuffed should it end up like a WRPG in the HL universe.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Gambit1977 18 Mar 2013 18:55:33 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm confused how everyone wants the Half Life sequel to be nothing like Half Life.

You wouldn't make a Star Wars film about a whiny kid and a fish man who looks like Rio Ferdinand...oh.

Edited by Gambit1977 at 18:56:03 18-03-2013
  • kalel 18 Mar 2013 18:58:36 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I personally can't see a STALKER-esque HL game. Doesn't work for me. I do personally agree that the pacing of HL comes very much from there only ever essentially being one path.

What really got me excited about HL3 were the little hints in Portal of it all being part of the same wider story, and the possibility that the portal gun would play a role in the next Half Life game. That for me opens up where Half Life goes next. Still linear and "corridor" based, but far from a generic FPS.
  • Steve_Perry 18 Mar 2013 18:59:00 3,809 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gambit1977 Times have changed is why. I can understand the desire to open it up a bit, I just don't want them going too far in that direction.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• oceanmotion 18 Mar 2013 19:19:36 15,762 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think it will turn into an RPG but Valve will want some sort of connected experience, perhaps taking co-op to new places as well as monetization. Something bigger that involves the community rather than a basic solo experience.

Could be something like Left 4 Dead co-op on a larger scale except each player rarely plays with each other, kind of like when Alyx goes off to do her thing to help Gordon. Two players having a single player Half Life experience but with a co-op layer that doesn't involve pressing a button for boost over a wall.
  • Bremenacht 18 Mar 2013 20:50:44 17,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A simple (but dynamic) open world with simple objectives would be excellent. No need for looting or any other RPG stuff. An open-world version of L4D's AI could take care of all the dynamic stuff: perhaps checkpoints on roads, or wandering hunter-killers and gunships, weather-related events etc. Buildings that may or may not have a combine ambush or just headcrabs or a radio tuned to a resistance broadcast or nothing at all.

HL3 is running rather nicely in my head at the moment.
  • Dirtbox 18 Mar 2013 21:55:47 77,633 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know what l4d has to do with anything, it's another linear game. Fallout 3 is a better example of a successful open world.

• Bremenacht 18 Mar 2013 23:12:22 17,682 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's relevant because I have an imaginary open-world HL3 game running in my head right now with a L4D-style AI director providing dynamic events. Do you mind? It's looking quite brilliant and I don't want you ruining it.
  • Syrette 19 Mar 2013 02:33:23 43,231 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

• Khanivor 19 Mar 2013 02:49:50 40,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half Life has been a ride ever since the game faded in on the monorail. It's never been about exploring the whole theme park.

Finish Gordon Freeeman's story the way it started out. A single player FPS with narrative that pushes you in one direction. Then, by all means, bleed the IP fucking dry.

That Valve have already branched out into different styles of games while linking to the HL universe gives me hope.
  • gelf 19 Mar 2013 09:13:42 188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked Fallout but large parts of 3 bored me so I rather Half Life stay away from that style unless they discover a solution to the problems of open world bloat that no game has solved yet. Open world for me tends to mean endlessly wandering back and forth towards waypoints with the only real excitment happening at the destinations. I want a thrill ride.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 09:17:33 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Fallout 3 is great, as is Stalker. But I think Half Life is good at something a bit different, and I don't really see the benefit in it moving away from that to be more like other games (as good as they are).

I'm all for evolving games and I'm not saying I want it to stay archaic or whatever, but this could be the Tomb Raider thread, or Resident Evil, or Splinter Cell or whatever. I wish games could evolve within their own niche of that genre, rather than copying what other games do and therefore moving closer to this homogenised nucleus that all games seem to be gravitating towards.
  • Salaman 19 Mar 2013 09:29:27 18,952 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm pretty sure that was a bump. Sorry gelf.

/steps away from gelf
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:30:22 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reason Half-Life 1&2 were so epic is that it shot you down a perfectly choreographed tunnel.

Everyone called the Airstrike, everyone shot the helicopter with the rocket launcher and everyone assaulted the prison with antlions. To keep it cinematic, it would have to be a hub world and missions, which would suck dick.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 09:32:15 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem deebs seems to be having is that he didn't like HL2, which is fair enough, but I still don't think that means the whole linear thing needs to go in the bin.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:35:10 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they will modernise it somewhat. Back then games felt the need to take a year to complete and, to some extent, it followed a few bad habits from HL one to needlessly pad out sections (like the rail section in HL1).

I think if a modding team got hold of it and trimmed the fat, you would be left with a game that would stand shoulder to shoulder with anything out at the moment.

He totally called it

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 09:36:12 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Portal 1 and 2 show there is plenty of life left in linear FPS games yet.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:38:30 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Portal 2 especially makes me weep for the lack of a HL3 announcement. The level design and scenery are just so fucking epic, it makes me cry that its talent hasnt (officially) been turned to a new half life yet.

Some of the caverns you land in are just breathtaking.

He totally called it

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 09:41:24 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As much as I love Portal 2 (and I really really love it), it did annoy me a bit that Valve prioritsed that over Ep3, or Half Life 3.

It did make me wonder at the time whether they were waiting for next gen consoles or something (which is still a possibility).
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:43:32 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that every time a game that isnt HL3 comes out, to be honest.

The only real consolation with Portal 2 is that its so good and you can really see valve refining their story telling and level design with it that its almost like a technical excercise for HL3.

He totally called it

• smoothpete 19 Mar 2013 09:43:36 31,447 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The sense of "place" in Portal 2 sets it apart.

"I have to go to the wing that was made entirely of glass and pick up 15 acres of broken glass. By myself."

You can picture the wing made entirely of glass. I so want to explore Aperture labs. The idea of getting to see more Aperture stuff via the Borealis in HL3 makes me moist.
  • waggy79 19 Mar 2013 09:46:02 931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Making it open world would be ridiculous. I don't want Freeman wandering off to do some pointless side quest/ pick flowers/ hunt wildlife, etc.

Valve get the praise they do because the stories are so well told and for that it needs to remain linear.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:47:54 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only real problem I have with tying them together is that Cave Johnson comes across as such a mong, its hard to imagine him establishing a vast science empire capable of producing portal guns and bouncy blue paint.

Tonally, it doesnt really gel for me, but im sure it will be fine.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 09:56:17 59,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    The idea of getting to see more Aperture stuff via the Borealis in HL3 makes me moist.
    Thats also what I mean by great level design and story telling. You fall for miles underground into a cavern and eventually find the borealis dry dock. How the fuck is a massive ship going to launch into the sea from there? SCIENCE!

He totally called it

• kalel 19 Mar 2013 10:33:59 86,743 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The only real problem I have with tying them together is that Cave Johnson comes across as such a mong, its hard to imagine him establishing a vast science empire capable of producing portal guns and bouncy blue paint.

Tonally, it doesnt really gel for me, but im sure it will be fine.
    I think this is quite a good point. I'm sure they'll make it work but it's true. The tone of Portal is very different from the tone of Half Life.
  • smoothpete 19 Mar 2013 10:40:59 31,447 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It would have been super awesome if at the ending of Portal 2 (ending spoilers follow) when you get booted out of the facility in the lift, and end up in the wheat field, if there had been a Strider walking across the horizon.
  • bunglebonce 19 Mar 2013 11:10:52 2,118 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To me, the beauty of HL2 was as much about what you couldn't see and do, probably more so than being about the set-pieces. My imagination filled in the rest, just as it did with Portal 1 and 2. If the linear progression is managed as exquisitely as it has been previously, I couldn't ask for anything more.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 12:26:58 77,633 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The problem deebs seems to be having is that he didn't like HL2, which is fair enough, but I still don't think that means the whole linear thing needs to go in the bin.
    The gunplay was weak at best, the bad guys practically fell over themselves to die, the scripted scenes and sections felt horribly forced and usually became intensely tedious. There was no challenge that wasn't choreographed to appear more difficult than it was, and on realising that, I just sprinted to the end on a massive wave of apathy and easy headshots. It basically wasn't a game, it was a story that required minimal interaction and I might as well have just watched a film. It was too tightly scripted and lacked any type of alternatives beyond shooting with a different gun. It just felt soulless.

It was way beyond linear.

• Page

of 14 First / Last