Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • cianchristopher 26 Apr 2012 11:50:49 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ecosse is gone, and so is the Uncharted 3 thread. I wanna talk about Uncharted 3, so I made this one.

Anyway, so I just started this the other night, coming straight off completing Uncharted 2 over the past week or so. I'm up to Chapter 11 "As above, so below" which takes place at 15, Yemen Road, Yemen (or so they tell me).

So far, so good. It's pretty great, but there's one or two observations I have. First of all, it's a little technically inconsistent compared to Uncharted 2. While it's mostly a better looking game, it's also subject to more frequent moments of slowdown (which take the form of a weird skip or judder from time to time). Also, the disc absolutely rapes the PS3's disc drive. It's frequently whirring up and down, getting noticeably louder then quieter. There's also the staccato rhythm of the hard disc drive being accessed on a far more frequent basis than in other games.

The script is quite decent, though. Especially Sully, who has some great moments. The gunplay (I'm using the "alternate" aiming) is still very good, but so far not enough of it. I guess there's a bit too much of the old "cinematic" action (read: not very interactive), which isn't as balanced as it was in Uncharted 2. That said, I'm hoping that the action kicks up a notch in the second half of the game.

Mulitplayer is fun, great fun actually. I might stick with it for a couple of nights when I'm done.
  • JBlokeUK 26 Apr 2012 11:53:45 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What happened to the previous thread?

I like it when he's angry.

• cianchristopher 26 Apr 2012 11:57:45 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Ecosse is gone, and so is the Uncharted 3 thread.
  • JBlokeUK 26 Apr 2012 12:00:17 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Ecosse is gone, and so is the Uncharted 3 thread.
    So the other thread is deleted because the person who made it is no longer a forum member?

Anyway I really enjoyed this although for me Uncharted 2 was slightly better. Haven't tried the MP on Uncharted 3 yet though.

I like it when he's angry.

• HisDudness 26 Apr 2012 12:05:05 979 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first act of the game is quite slow (and a bit excruciating on a replay since you know the story already), but the remainder of the game is a lot better from an action standpoint. The puzzles are much better than 2 as well.

I didn't like the hand to hand combat on my first playthrough, but upon switching to crushing (where there are no button prompts), the close combat feels a lot better, because you have to pay attention to the enemy animations. Shades of Batman for sure.

I like multiplayer as well because it's different from everything else out there. But it can be frustrating (circle to roll as well as take cover has caused me to rage on several occasions, especially since the maps seem to have an over abundance of clutter compared to UC2). The new objective mode is great, borrowing the rolling objectives from KZ2's warzone. They are also going to start up "The Lab" again soon, where they create new game types for short period of time. My favourite from UC2 was the unlimited RPG rounds. I could play that all day.
  • cianchristopher 26 Apr 2012 12:10:42 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Another thing I'm not too fond of is all those bad guys in suits. Fucking hundreds of bad guys in suits, one after another.

It's not the bad guys, or the number of them. It's the fucking suits. It annoys me (reminds me of that "burly brawl" in Matrix 2, and I hate the fucking Matrix).
  • mrpon 26 Apr 2012 12:14:00 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found (on the first playthrough) that there was always a meaty weapon hidden in the area where those armour dudes were. So I guess the answer is move around a bit!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 27 April 2012 19:03:09
    I had mixed views of Uncharted 3. First off Uncharted 2 was a better game, and in some ways Uncharted 1 was better than 3 as the shooting was better. I didn't find the London levels of Uncharted 3 interesting in anyway. Also, there were too many set pieces, designed to impress, without the player really feeling all that much involved. The finnal level looked great, and all that sand moving about really was impressive. The whole walking though the desert with the mirage was interesting without ever being fun. Then there was the sandstorm section, again, not all that much fun to play. Uncharted 3 has its moments, but felt like its creators were maybe not quite on a ball as say Uncharted 2. Maybe the designers were at fault, as the graphics, including the London level all looked AAA

Almost forgot, how could I forget. The Ship Yard. Amazing!!! thats all I can say. Not too sure how much fun it was to play, it looked AAAAA

Edited by blacksea at 19:05:40 27-04-2012
  • Folant 28 Apr 2012 09:29:05 1,163 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Late to the Uncharted party, just blasted my way through 1 and 2 this week. Fucking loved them.

3 worth starving myself for?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• dominalien 28 Apr 2012 09:32:48 6,857 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, but it's a good game. So get it when you can afford that and food again.

PSN: DonOsito

• MoGamer2006 28 Apr 2012 13:09:39 975 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, UC3 is good, it just can't top the superior UC2 so it feels like a slight disappointment... which is a little unfair, maybe, but that's how it is.
  • JetSetWilly 28 Apr 2012 16:08:54 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the first UC game I've played and I was pretty disappointed with it overall. The production values are great, it looks amazing and the voice acting is top-notch.

But I found that the pacing was awful; every single section of gameplay just dragged on and on. Every cinematic chase became a tedious chore by the end of it; each gunfight lasts an age (oh look here's another "big dude" to fight to end this section, and the fight plays out exactly like the other 10 identikit fights before it). In the second half of the game Naughty Dog seemingly couldn't be arsed with puzzles anymore and just turned it into a dreary gunfight slog-a-thon (featuring enemies who can snipe with inifinte-ammo RPGs and throw grenades into your pocket from across the map).

I thought the gunplay and controls in general were horrible. Why does Drake lurch everywhere like he's had fifteen pints? Why have I got to stand in a pixel-perfect spot and press triangle to pick up ammo for a gun I'm carrying? In terms of third-person controls the game plays like something from 10 years ago. It reminded me of James Bond: Everything or Nothing in that respect.
  • X201 28 Apr 2012 16:20:32 15,357 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JetSetWilly

Try Uncharted 2. Much better.
  • JetSetWilly 28 Apr 2012 16:35:39 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I definitely will pick up UC2 soon as I've read a lot comments to that effect. I think part of what disappoints me the most with UC3 is that it should be fantastic, it has all the ingredients to be a great action-adventure and then just goes ahead and overplays its hand and couples that with what seems like slightly shabby execution.
  • Bloobat 30 Apr 2012 20:15:26 197 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mmmmnn, I can't really decide if UC2 or UC3 is better,obviously UC2 was more amazing for its time but I think the chief 'baddie' in UC3 was more original and the story was top notch.

on a side note was I the only one who thought the way the boss dies at the end (trying not to spoil it for people who haven't played) was very quick and undramatic? the last level felt like a very fast blur to me.... :( was technically fantastic though!
  • King_Edward 30 Apr 2012 20:18:31 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The British baddie in Uncharted 2 is, so far, the only good villain in the series.
  • chrisno21 1 May 2012 09:54:55 1,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Better than Eddie?

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• santashi 1 May 2012 11:45:17 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I quite liked the baddie situation in the first game.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• cianchristopher 2 May 2012 10:14:10 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm up to Chapter 21 now, The Atlantis of the Sands. So far, so good.

In fact I'm enjoying it as much as Uncharted 2, to be honest. It's just different enough, in terms of pacing and focus, to keep me fully engaged.

I guess the games it resembles the most are the Call of Duty games, in terms of blockbuster action and set-pieces. But this series is on a whole other level. The only downside was the brevity of Chapter 17, Stowaway. Too short! I loved the shoot-out in the airplane with the cargo shifting around. But it was over in a minute-or-two.

The graphics, though.... Holy fuck!

Edited by cianchristopher at 10:43:48 02-05-2012
  • santashi 2 May 2012 10:42:28 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Might want to spoiler tag some of that. ;)

I think all four games had parts that really wowed me (or scared me to death in the case of the first game) and the third game was no exception. There were some aspects that I feel could have been improved but there were also some fab parts too-love Cutter. I agree with you about Chapter 17- an absolutely brilliant set piece.

• cianchristopher 2 May 2012 10:46:02 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, fair enough. The set-pieces are great, in many ways the game out-does Uncharted 2.
  • Zizoo 2 May 2012 11:00:19 8,373 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe it's just been too long since I played Uncharted 2, but I think I enjoyed 3 more.

Edited by ZizouFC at 11:08:52 02-05-2012
  • CosmicFuzz 2 May 2012 11:01:19 24,191 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was disappointed with 3 if I'm honest. Story wasn't anywhere near as strong as 2, and felt very disjointed. I did enjoy it a lot, and it's one of the better games of last year, but doesn't reach the heights of 2 by quite a bit I don't think.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 11:01:48 02-05-2012

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• chrisno21 2 May 2012 15:48:14 1,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The problem with 3 is in the slow bits, they are putting me off another replay which the rest of the game deserves. Also there are those couple areas that I know will annoy me no end on crushing. The stealthy bit with Elena, thats impossible to do stealthily and the bit at the end in the village with the sandstorm.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• santashi 2 May 2012 15:52:07 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On my crushing replay I did the desert wandering part while eating my lunch. Easy if mindnumbing.

• cianchristopher 2 May 2012 16:07:56 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are quite a few slow-paced chapters to this, alright. Certainly more than there were in the first two. However, like a later season of a great TV show, I think the creators can be allowed a little freedom to alter the formula and revel in the moment at times.

So, while it's not exactly conducive to multiple playthroughs in the way that other games may be, that's also because it's not long since anyone has gone through it.

Give it a year or two, and a second playthrough would be a joy. There's no rush to get through it again so quickly. I can understand that the pace of movement in the videogames industry isn't kind to old games and tends to discard them too quickly. You might be thinking, "I'd rather just get the platinum now, so I can get rid of it and move onto the next game". But that attitude isn't the right one.

I think it's best to disengage from the rapid pace of videogame releases. Take it slow, hold onto your game and play it again this Xmas or next year. It'll be so much better then.
  • Folant 8 May 2012 07:28:51 1,163 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think they wanted to UC3 to actually be a film, rather than interactive cinematic experience. Hehe

Think I've nearly finished it(one sitting. -_-), but with online I guess it's not so bad. Enjoyed UC2 online, this actually looks a bit better judging from that TV feed.

Just one thing though, that Fortune Hunters Club, that is actually what it sounds like? I pay that few and I get -all- current DLC and -all- future DLC with no extra charge? If I end up whoring the online, think I might have to take that offer up.

Free XMB theme! Yay!

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Feanor 8 May 2012 16:47:02 14,166 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I planned on getting the Platinum for this, but I wanted to do the chapters on Crushing out of order and when I played thru chapter 7 on Crushing it didn't give me credit for it, and that happened twice. So I gave up.

Crushing is too cheap and annoying to really be fun, anyway. The start of chapter 15 is ridiculously unfair unless you go in carrying over a great set of weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCU1Bvjbao&t=2m55s
  • santashi 8 May 2012 17:15:38 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I know that the horseback bit turned out to be horribly tricky on Crushing. Can't remember chapter number though! I decided I'd give it a break and play something else for my own sanity. :D

• mrpon 8 May 2012 17:42:00 28,893 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need a haircut, I think a Crushing play through could be just the tonic.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous