Paypal query

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • boo 23 Apr 2012 11:24:16 12,659 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just thought I'd ask the hive mind if they've come across this before I start phoning up the bank etc.

Just checked my Bank Account, as there's a direct debit I need to alter. It's the first time I've looked at the DD section for ages. Three of the four are what I expect to see, but there's a fourth Direct Debit on my account, that's described as 'Paypal payment', it's half yearly, for £5.50.

I've no idea what it is. I did the 'verify your account' thing a while back, where they drop a random number of pence into your account, but I don't remember setting any DD's up.

I'll speak to the bank and find out how long it's been on there, and then cancel it I guess.

Anybody come across anything like this before? I only ever use Paypal for payments - I don't have any incoming monies, so I'm not set up as a trader etc.
  • Lexx87 23 Apr 2012 11:26:10 20,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually have had something like that before, a one-off paypal payment which appeared as a DD in my bank.

I cancelled it, but i'm not sure if it's normal or not!
  • localnotail 23 Apr 2012 11:33:26 23,084 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't you just check your PayPal account summary and see what it refers to? Should be listed.
  • Jono62 23 Apr 2012 11:36:20 16,076 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Check you don't have any pre-approved payments on your Paypal account. You check by going to profile once you've logged on. Click on my money. look for 'My pre-approved payments' and click on update. See if anything with that amount is active.
  • boo 23 Apr 2012 11:53:12 12,659 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just spoken to the bank - apparently it's been there since April 2009, with payments to 'Maureen Whitmarsh' whoever that is.

Just looked at Paypal's forum, and there are several other similar queries. I suspect it has something to do with the account verification process, though it's not clear what.

I shall dig a bit further.
  • boo 23 Apr 2012 11:59:28 12,659 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm.
    I verified my account (I suspect, in April 2009), but almost always switch payment to go from my credit card rather than my Bank account.
    However, there's a payment to the Raspberry Pi foundation, for £5.50, on the date of the direct debit, which I did send from my account rather than CC.

I suspect that when you make a bank acc payment, Paypal retrieve the money from your account via a direct debit, and the setup is just not very clear.
  • FWB 16 Jun 2013 19:56:18 52,061 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If someone wants to make a transfer to me from abroad in US dollars, would it be better to just give them my bank details or is Paypal a safe bet? And by safe, I also mean, will I get screwed over on charges and conversion?
  • Gunzberg 16 Jun 2013 20:14:13 2,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    If someone wants to make a transfer to me from abroad in US dollars, would it be better to just give them my bank details or is Paypal a safe bet? And by safe, I also mean, will I get screwed over on charges and conversion?
    Paypal in my experience screws me over less than NatWest on FX transfers
  • FWB 16 Jun 2013 20:15:46 52,061 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am with Lloyds, if anyone has any experience with them.
  • oceanmotion 16 Jun 2013 20:25:37 16,833 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Make sure the person gifts you the money through PayPal, otherwise Paypal get a cut. Easy to avoid.

Can't remember exactly how, other tab perhaps but straightforward. Just go through sending an amount as a test on your account, look at the options to find the right part then tell that to the person.

Edited by oceanmotion at 20:29:12 16-06-2013
  • jacjac 23 Sep 2014 22:28:38 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @boo Hi i to have just had the same thing happen to me except mine was for 48.10 to come out of my account by DD every 10 days!!!
  • mikeverse 1 Jul 2015 07:09:30 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Happened to me today, found this forum with a google search.
    Maureen Whittmarsh - Trying to take £50+ every 2 weeks
    Certainly not approved by myself.
    Did anyone get to the bottom of this??
  • Rivuzu 1 Jul 2015 09:17:13 13,784 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maureen your robbing slag, pack it in.
  • mal 1 Jul 2015 11:22:26 25,938 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does the pope shit in the woods?

Oh, you say /pay/pal. Sorry.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2015 18:22:22
    \o/
  • yegon 4 Mar 2016 12:39:14 5,845 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thread resurrection!

Sold something on eBay to the value of just under £400. Normally, I ship immediately upon payment via PayPal.

Got the below message today, not seen it before, seems to be some mechanism so the money is held in between myself and buyer, and I get payment upon either shipping or more likely when buyer is on receipt of goods.

Is it legit? Bit concerned it's eBay putting all the pain on the seller as usual, giving the buyer oppo to withdraw upon receipt of goods.

I've got 6,000+ 100% feedback btw, not had many problems or seen this in the past. Buyer has about 300 feedback, 100%.

"You have received a payment from XXXX. The payment is in your pending balance and, if there are no problems with the order, the money should be in your available balance within 21 days. This will help us continue to be a safer way to buy and sell.

How can I get my money sooner?
    You should be able to get your money within 7-14 days if you:

Send the item to the buyer's postal address as displayed on this page.
    Provide the dispatch details and mark the item as sent on the Transaction details page.
    For items or services that cannot be physically delivered (for instance, digital goods like eBooks or smartphone apps), mark the order as Processed on the Transaction details page and provide any additional details requested.
    Tip: You can use PayPal to pay for postage and print Royal Mail or Parcelforce postage labels directly from your PayPal account.

Problems with an order?
    If there are problems with the order, we will continue to hold the payment until the issue is resolved, which may take longer than 21 days."

Edited by yegon at 12:40:47 04-03-2016
  • monkehhh 4 Mar 2016 12:49:17 4,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems like something they do from a quick Google, maybe it's a high-risk item?

Check any communications include your name and identifying info., don't follow links directly from any emails and login to PayPal's site and have a look, maybe contact them through their site if you're still not sure.

Bit of a shitter if you're needing the cash.
  • yegon 4 Mar 2016 12:58:24 5,845 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah, don't need the cash in any rush, selling an old iPhone that I should have flogged ages ago. More concerned about getting shafted since I've never been paid in this manner before.

Thanks.

Edited by yegon at 12:58:57 04-03-2016
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.