Paypal query

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • boo 23 Apr 2012 11:24:16 11,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just thought I'd ask the hive mind if they've come across this before I start phoning up the bank etc.

Just checked my Bank Account, as there's a direct debit I need to alter. It's the first time I've looked at the DD section for ages. Three of the four are what I expect to see, but there's a fourth Direct Debit on my account, that's described as 'Paypal payment', it's half yearly, for 5.50.

I've no idea what it is. I did the 'verify your account' thing a while back, where they drop a random number of pence into your account, but I don't remember setting any DD's up.

I'll speak to the bank and find out how long it's been on there, and then cancel it I guess.

Anybody come across anything like this before? I only ever use Paypal for payments - I don't have any incoming monies, so I'm not set up as a trader etc.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Lexx87 23 Apr 2012 11:26:10 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually have had something like that before, a one-off paypal payment which appeared as a DD in my bank.

I cancelled it, but i'm not sure if it's normal or not!

Speak the truth hussy!

• localnotail 23 Apr 2012 11:33:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't you just check your PayPal account summary and see what it refers to? Should be listed.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Jono62 23 Apr 2012 11:36:20 13,628 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Check you don't have any pre-approved payments on your Paypal account. You check by going to profile once you've logged on. Click on my money. look for 'My pre-approved payments' and click on update. See if anything with that amount is active.
  • boo 23 Apr 2012 11:53:12 11,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just spoken to the bank - apparently it's been there since April 2009, with payments to 'Maureen Whitmarsh' whoever that is.

Just looked at Paypal's forum, and there are several other similar queries. I suspect it has something to do with the account verification process, though it's not clear what.

I shall dig a bit further.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 23 Apr 2012 11:59:28 11,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm.
    I verified my account (I suspect, in April 2009), but almost always switch payment to go from my credit card rather than my Bank account.
    However, there's a payment to the Raspberry Pi foundation, for 5.50, on the date of the direct debit, which I did send from my account rather than CC.

I suspect that when you make a bank acc payment, Paypal retrieve the money from your account via a direct debit, and the setup is just not very clear.

Just Another Lego Blog

• FWB 16 Jun 2013 19:56:18 41,973 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If someone wants to make a transfer to me from abroad in US dollars, would it be better to just give them my bank details or is Paypal a safe bet? And by safe, I also mean, will I get screwed over on charges and conversion?
  • Gunzberg 16 Jun 2013 20:14:13 929 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    If someone wants to make a transfer to me from abroad in US dollars, would it be better to just give them my bank details or is Paypal a safe bet? And by safe, I also mean, will I get screwed over on charges and conversion?
    Paypal in my experience screws me over less than NatWest on FX transfers

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• FWB 16 Jun 2013 20:15:46 41,973 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am with Lloyds, if anyone has any experience with them.
  • oceanmotion 16 Jun 2013 20:25:37 15,243 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Make sure the person gifts you the money through PayPal, otherwise Paypal get a cut. Easy to avoid.

Can't remember exactly how, other tab perhaps but straightforward. Just go through sending an amount as a test on your account, look at the options to find the right part then tell that to the person.

Edited by oceanmotion at 20:29:12 16-06-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next