of 6 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 15 Jan 2013 23:25:39 3,908 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    Southland. Better than the Wire IMO.
    Southland is criminally under-rated, but better than The Wire? Come on.

The Wire > The Shield > Southland is my personal order of preference.
    Same for me. Although the Shield still has the best pilot and finale :)
    I'm with jonsaan ... The wire bored the shit out of me.  I only started watching Southland late last year and I was hooked.  Every episode in just over a week, marathoned that shit.

It was interesting to see how the detective side of it was filtered out but they kept the good characters

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Max_Powers 6 Apr 2013 11:01:06 1,098 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really loving Top of the Lake at the moment. Detective series is set in New Zealand and deals with the dissapearance of a 12 year old pregnant girl. Mesmerizing.

Elisabeth Moss is great in it.
  • FWB 6 Apr 2013 11:07:27 44,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thundercats. Can get the boxset quite cheaply.
  • Gambit1977 6 Apr 2013 11:41:55 9,694 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New on US tv;
    Bates Motel - eps 1 and 3 are superb, 2nd a little less.

Hannibal first ep is extremely promising. Helps that David Slade directed it, he has a fantastic eye.
  • Jacksie66 6 Apr 2013 12:04:21 574 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love/hate
    Great Irish crime drama.
  • Razz 6 Apr 2013 14:26:26 61,205 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Understandable Irish? Or Irish Irish?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 6 April 2013 14:48:12
    Mad Men Season 4 - Excellent 8/10

But I have to admit to thinking it felt a bit ropey at times. Some of the screenplay felt half arsed at times but it wasn't frequent or bad enough to detract from an excellent show.

Just finished ep 3 of Justified. Think I'm done with it. It just isn't very good. The novelty of the frontier style doesn't make up for fairly predictable stories and forgetable characters.
  • monkehhh 6 Apr 2013 14:56:19 3,322 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mowgli Episode 3 of the first series? It does get a lot better when it decides what it wants to be.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 15:00:16
    Yeah, first series. It's okay, but it needs to be more than that if it wants my attention for 40 minutes. I don't watch tv for the sake of it and there are better things out there.
  • Madder-Max 6 Apr 2013 16:36:19 11,656 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Enjoying leverage atm. Tivoing the shit out of series 3 and 4. Makes for nice light viewing and timothy hutton is pretty good and the bint who plays sophie is hot

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Trane 7 Apr 2013 22:52:07 4,052 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Yeah, first series. It's okay, but it needs to be more than that if it wants my attention for 40 minutes. I don't watch tv for the sake of it and there are better things out there.
    Stick with Justified, it pays off.
  • TarickStonefire 21 Apr 2013 16:20:48 3,107 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Stick with Justified, it pays off.
    I concur, it does seem to be 'let's see the bad guy of the week gets taken down in one shot' for the first few weeks, but then the story starts to emerge and the time you've spent with the characters pays off in terms of the relationships.

You can't necessarily write off an entire show based on three episodes of the first series these days - but fair enough, that is a fair amount of time to spend bedding in a show, especially as time is precious and all that. Certainly some shows manage to hook you in episode one (Bates Motel and Hannibal recently did for us), but Justified does get better once the formulaic few eps are out of the way.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• DodgyPast 21 Apr 2013 17:30:02 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been enjoying Bones recently.
  • L0cky 21 Apr 2013 18:13:20 1,530 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another vote for Southland. I wouldn't rate it above the wire but definitely above the shield.

The last series was :o
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Apr 2013 18:20:30 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried to watch Southland but I found the first few episodes pretty annoying, I can't remember exactly why but the whole thing felt a bit too much like Crash (the film) in that it was pretty heavy handed. Did it improve that aspect of things?

You are a factory of sadness.

• crispyduckman 21 Apr 2013 19:30:41 1,858 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    I'm really loving Top of the Lake at the moment. Detective series is set in New Zealand and deals with the dissapearance of a 12 year old pregnant girl. Mesmerizing.

Just started watching this on Netflix (US) on your recommendation. Good call. Only 1 episode in but enjoying it so far.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• crashVoodoo 21 Apr 2013 19:34:22 3,908 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I tried to watch Southland but I found the first few episodes pretty annoying, I can't remember exactly why but the whole thing felt a bit too much like Crash (the film) in that it was pretty heavy handed. Did it improve that aspect of things?
    It improves vastly when they bin off the whole detective side of things and stick with the better patrol stories.

The most recent episode genuinely shocked me as I was not expecting the outcome.

As an aside, has anybody picked up golden boy?
    I made a thread about it that faded into obscurity buy its getting better and better with each episode ...

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• TarickStonefire 22 Apr 2013 18:55:00 3,107 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bates Motel. It's an origin story but set in present-day. It's better than that makes it sound. The motel and house are *exactly* as you remember them, and there's plenty of twisty plot stuff to enjoy, plus the relationship between 17-year old Norman and his mother is suitable fucked up.

Also, Mr Carlton Cuse had a hand in it. I liked Lost, but I blame Lindelof for the dissatisfaction many felt.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 18:56:26 22-04-2013

• lordofthedunce 22 Apr 2013 19:33:50 376 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eastbound and Down is bloody awesome.
  • TarickStonefire 22 Apr 2013 19:36:31 3,107 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    It is good indeed. Got a bit bored of the same basic joke spread across several series (he's a loser who refuses to accept that, I geddit) but he does it well and the other characters give it some depth.

Seen him a few things now, looks like that actor only ever plays that character, tho I spose most actors do that...

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:37:54 22-04-2013

• lordofthedunce 22 Apr 2013 19:56:22 376 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    It is good indeed. Got a bit bored of the same basic joke spread across several series (he's a loser who refuses to accept that, I geddit) but he does it well and the other characters give it some depth.

Seen him a few things now, looks like that actor only ever plays that character, tho I spose most actors do that...
    Admittedly I'm only two seasons in. I know what you mean about the joke though!
  • L0cky 23 Apr 2013 16:46:48 1,530 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Max_Powers wrote:

Just started watching this on Netflix (US) on your recommendation. Good call. Only 1 episode in but enjoying it so far.
    Watched this too, it was good. Btw, it's a 7 episode mini series, which is now finished.
  • Dougs 1 May 2013 11:54:07 67,736 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone watch Banshee, by Alan Ball (Six Feet Under/True Blood)? Sky+ it, just wondered what the views were....
  • AccidentProne 1 May 2013 12:05:16 1,163 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I rather enjoyed Banshee. It was stupid, over the top fun, with boobs and violence. What's not to like?
  • Dougs 1 May 2013 12:11:39 67,736 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That sounds perfect! Always a gap for such filler.
  • glaeken 1 May 2013 12:15:54 11,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boobs you say? Sky plus's it.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 12:16:37 11,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:

/Piratebays

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• President_Weasel 1 May 2013 12:52:13 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I rather enjoyed Banshee. It was stupid, over the top fun, with boobs and violence. What's not to like?
    Yeah it was like he'd read a bunch of detective noir (like Dashiell Hammett stuff) and decided to update it to the present day with more boobs and explosions. And a Korean transvestite hacker guy, obviously.

Seriously, it's the really good kind of terrible.
  • Dougs 1 May 2013 13:49:00 67,736 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't wait.
  • BinaryBob101 1 May 2013 15:49:31 22,971 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just approaching the finale for the first season of The Americans, which had a slow start, but really kicked in around episode four and has been fantastic since then.

The Grumpy Vaper

• Page

of 6 First / Last