Recommend me a new TV series Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 18 Apr 2012 08:54:04 35,518 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks all! Lots of choices. I'll have to take a look what's available on DVD or iTunes.

I've seen Deadwood, but I must admit it's far from my favourite HBO show. Somehow it never clicked with me. Also seen Mad Men, which I loved to bits.

Only ever saw a couple of episodes of Jusified, I somehow just forgot about it!

Damages sounds ace, I think the girl-friend might even own it! :)
  • Savatage 18 Apr 2012 10:00:14 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spartacus!

Particularly season 1.
  • Tonka 18 Apr 2012 10:07:18 20,245 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get anything by Adam Curtis. You can thank me later.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• HoriZon 18 Apr 2012 10:19:53 13,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GLEE

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• ISmoke 18 Apr 2012 10:45:28 546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dexter and Breaking Bad. Both are excellent
  • Dougs 18 Apr 2012 10:54:46 67,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rescue Me. Criminally underwatched imo.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2012 11:02:02
    StarMagic wrote:
    I love how TV is awesome nowadays, it's over-taken films really.
    def and for 75% of the time its far more interesting and dosen't stoop to stupid levels of intellgience to get it to the big screen. The wire, mad men, soproanos, broadwalk, treme, GOT etc are really indepth explorations of certain themes. its fantastic.

The fact that big actors are flocking to do them. Its a cross between theatre and film. it sits in the middle. Gives actors a chance to act, but also the series give a chance to entertain on a film level.

another one i havn't seen yet is friday night lights, i got them stacked up on my sky box so shall get into them hopefully soon.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Apr 2012 11:03:56 16,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My girlfriend and I have become rather engrossed by The Good Wife, might be worth a look. It takes most of the first season to find its feet but the second season has some very good moments. Some of the supporting cast are very good indeed. It's kind of a legal drama but there's political intrigue and smatterings of good humour.

You are a factory of sadness.

• magicpanda 18 Apr 2012 11:06:11 13,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    +1 for Spartacus

You will watch the first few episodes thinking why am I watching this utterly shit 300 rip off and then things just gets better and better until you are on the edge of your seat baying at the TV for more tits and blood.

• Dougs 18 Apr 2012 11:07:25 67,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    My girlfriend and I have become rather engrossed by The Good Wife, might be worth a look. It takes most of the first season to find its feet but the second season has some very good moments. Some of the supporting cast are very good indeed. It's kind of a legal drama but there's political intrigue and smatterings of good humour.
    My in-laws keep raving about this. Maybe once we've finished the other 5 series we have on the go (on top of the ones we are keeping up with on telly at the mo).
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Apr 2012 11:30:54 16,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My in-laws keep raving about this. Maybe once we've finished the other 5 series we have on the go (on top of the ones we are keeping up with on telly at the mo).
    It's not exactly an edgy programme like a lot of the others mentioned, it is well written and has some good performances. Definitely worth a watch.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Trane 20 Apr 2012 09:12:03 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the only things I could recommend that you haven't seen already/hasn't been mentioned is are mini-series.

Band of Brothers and Generation Kill are both excellent pieces of telly.
  • ISmoke 21 Apr 2012 14:19:29 546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man, Generation Kill was awesome. Shame it was only one series long.
  • crashVoodoo 22 Apr 2012 00:23:05 3,883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    TV is much better than film now, though the only fuck up is when shows get cancelled prematurely.
    <3 Chicago Code. One series, but it tied up ... ish.

/shame

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• dutchspeededup 22 Apr 2012 09:26:05 4,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like lists so here, as much as for my enjoyment as any of yours, is a non-exhaustive list of awesome TV dramas. There are a couple of mini-series here and there. I have described the less well-known ones.

The Wire
    Deadwood
    The Sopranos
    The X Files
    Firefly
    Twin Peaks
    Sherlock Holmes (the traditional one with Jeremy Brett)
    Jeeves & Wooster
    John Adams (HBO drama with undistinguished direction but a fascinating story. If you're interested in American history that is.)
    I, Claudius
    Battlestar Galactica
    The Line of Beauty (Slick adaptation of Alan Hollinghurst's terrific novel about a young gay man who befriends the family of a Tory MP during Thatcher's reign.)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    State of Play (Top drawer British political thriller.)
    Brideshead Revisited (Glorious adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's glorious novel.)
    The West Wing
    The Killing
    Generation Kill
    Treme (Post-Katrina New Orleans drama by the makers of The Wire. Amazing music.)
    Any Human Heart (Above average adaptation of William Boyd's second-best novel.)
    House of Cards (Incredible British political drama.)
    Tales of the Unexpected (Based on Roald Dahl's delightful and wicked short stories for adults. An object lesson in how to do twists.)
  • RobAnybody 22 Apr 2012 12:47:52 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    List fail - you didn't mention Breaking Bad. :)
  • WrongShui 22 Apr 2012 12:50:56 6,613 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone watching Magic City? I've been enjoying it so far.
  • dutchspeededup 23 Apr 2012 22:54:40 4,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    I like Breaking Bad, but I don't love it.

/hides
  • reddevil93 23 Apr 2012 23:12:33 11,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    House never gets a mention due to the downturn in the last couple of series, first 4 series of that though is some of the best television I've watched.

• RobAnybody 23 Apr 2012 23:19:28 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dutchspeededup wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    I like Breaking Bad, but I don't love it.

/hides
    Get outta here! ;)
  • ISmoke 28 Apr 2012 19:53:39 546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It took me a few episodes to stop seeing him as Hal but now he is strictly Walter White/Heisenberg. Fantastic actor.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2012 21:24:39
    magicpanda wrote:
    +1 for Spartacus

You will watch the first few episodes thinking why am I watching this utterly shit 300 rip off and then things just gets better and better until you are on the edge of your seat baying at the TV for more tits and blood.

I couldn't get past the shitness of episode 1 .Turned it off after 20 minutes and started watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip which is brilliant.
  • monkehhh 28 Apr 2012 21:30:51 3,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first series of Spartacus and the subsequent prequel series are brilliant, the latest series made a reasonable attempt but I don't think it recovered from the real-life death of the original Spartacus and it just wasn't as tight as the originals. It's definitely worth sticking with Blood and Sand for a few episodes.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2012 22:22:18
    man forgot about generation kill. its fantastic. Alexander saargard or however you spell it (Eric from True blood) became one of my fav actors from those two programmes.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last