Looper - Bruce Willis kicks his younger selfs ass. Page 4

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Next
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 8 Oct 2012 12:33:58 7,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw it last night and thought it was utterly brilliant and can't fault it. You can get in to a tedious argument about whether the timey-wimey-ness of it works however that misses the point - at it's core it's about the impact that choices and actions have on those you are connected to and the butterfly effect of events.

    I thought the cinematography and SFX were top-notch, the script deftly balanced lighter moments with heavier emotionally charged scenes and the cinephilic referecences were knowing, respectful and worn lightly.

    However it's the preformances that really stand out and JGL in particular delivers a brilliant take as the younger Joe without every descending into caricature. However Emiliy Blunt impresses hugely, as does support from Jeff Daniels and Paul Dano.

    As a mainstream film it dares to do things I've never seen before such as older Joe executing the innocent boy - a moment I found particularly emotionally devasting.

    I know a lot of people have issues with the pacing but I loved that the story and relationships were given a chance to breathe and develop - so often in modern cinema directors feel the need to keep a film 'pacy' but end up jettison important things such as character development and emotional engagement.

    It's a film full of ideas that skips between genres with an assured swagger - moving between sci-fi, horror, western and drama and back again - and proves that populist doesn't have to mean 'leave your brain at the door' shite.

    10/10

    Edited by Pac-man-ate-my-wife at 12:41:17 08-10-2012
  • Scurrminator 8 Oct 2012 13:41:51 8,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    If it's impossible to kill in the future than how is it that they kill his wife?
    The director covers this in an interview. Accident pure and simple and they started the fire in a shit attempt at a cover up.
    I'm sure murder still happens in the future, obviously, it's just that people are caught. I'm sure the guy that fired the shot (and the team itself) were then contenders for being sent back with a bag on their head...

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • sport 8 Oct 2012 13:47:44 12,798 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    If it's impossible to kill in the future than how is it that they kill his wife?
    The director covers this in an interview. Accident pure and simple and they started the fire in a shit attempt at a cover up.
    I'm sure murder still happens in the future, obviously, it's just that people are caught. I'm sure the guy that fired the shot (and the team itself) were then contenders for being sent back with a bag on their head...
    Yeah, it looked like she surprised them in the act, got shot accidentally.
  • binster 8 Oct 2012 15:54:32 542 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For those of you who are going to see it a second time, enjoy a director's commentary to put on your mp3 player!

    https://soundcloud.com/rcjohnso/looper-theatrical-commentary
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Oct 2012 16:08:01 5,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is a great, great film however, regarding the ending:

    Young Joe was saying that his only memory of his Mother was when she used to stroke his hair ... at the very end, on the last scene, you saw Sara stroking Joe's hair when he was lifelessly laying on the field.

    Does that little moment makes anyone wonder if Sara was his Mother?
  • McGeeza 8 Oct 2012 16:31:36 953 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    If it's impossible to kill in the future than how is it that they kill his wife?
    The director covers this in an interview. Accident pure and simple and they started the fire in a shit attempt at a cover up.
    I'm sure murder still happens in the future, obviously, it's just that people are caught. I'm sure the guy that fired the shot (and the team itself) were then contenders for being sent back with a bag on their head...
    Yeah i get that it is quite easy to join the dots yourself but can't help thinking some onscreen fast response would have cleared it up better (and been an excuse for an action scene). Didn't spoil the film for me though.
  • RabidChild 8 Oct 2012 16:49:22 2,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I forget - was there any reason why they couldn't kill people in the future right before sending them back? Would avoid the need for loopers.
  • mcmonkeyplc 8 Oct 2012 16:54:30 39,515 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    This is a great, great film however, regarding the ending:

    Young Joe was saying that his only memory of his Mother was when she used to stroke his hair ... at the very end, on the last scene, you saw Sara stroking Joe's hair when he was lifelessly laying on the field.

    Does that little moment makes anyone wonder if Sara was his Mother?
    You mean you think he fucked his own mum?!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • sport 8 Oct 2012 17:01:39 12,798 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    This is a great, great film however, regarding the ending:

    Young Joe was saying that his only memory of his Mother was when she used to stroke his hair ... at the very end, on the last scene, you saw Sara stroking Joe's hair when he was lifelessly laying on the field.

    Does that little moment makes anyone wonder if Sara was his Mother?
    You mean you think he fucked his own mum?!
    Pretty obvious really - she then gives birth to him, so he is in fact, his own father. Just like Jesus!
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Oct 2012 18:35:05 5,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well ... why would Joe says his only memory of his Mother is that she strokes his hair and yet, the very last scene we see in the film is us seeing Sara stroking Joe's hair?

    Possibly ironic or symbolic...?
  • Tonka 11 Oct 2012 06:33:35 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw it last night. Magical!

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2012 06:51:28 8,001 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Well ... why would Joe says his only memory of his Mother is that she strokes his hair and yet, the very last scene we see in the film is us seeing Sara stroking Joe's hair?

    Possibly ironic or symbolic...?
    Err... but Young Joe is from the past, right? How could she be his mum if they're from the same timeline?

    Also, he does not appear to have any telekinetic powers.
  • Tonka 11 Oct 2012 08:28:03 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She's not his mother. His only memory of his mother sin't the hair stroking. He tells Cid about a lot of stuff from his childhood other than the hair stroking.

    Neither is it literally impossible to kill someone in the future. It's just impossible to do it without getting caught. The dread on the gapmans face when he shoots the wife is an indication that it was an extremely unfortunate accident.

    Since Rian Johnson is a friend and fan of Shane Carruth (the guy who made Primer) I'm sure everything 'works'. The café scene is a clear nod towards the discussions about Primer timelines.

    This has a simpler set up than Primer though

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • CharlieStCloud 11 Oct 2012 17:38:00 5,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I can gladly come to the conclusion that I either over thought the whole 'hair stroking' moment, or I am dumb ...

    ... most likely the latter!
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 18:19:30 71,283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seeing this in a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure any and all continuity and time-travel plotholes will mean absolutely fuck all. But yeah, I want to enjoy it.
  • faux-C 11 Oct 2012 20:20:09 9,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Sorry to say it, but I was underwhelmed. It's good, but not amazing.

    Also, I just read the Guardian review (waited till I'd seen the film), and its like the reviewer literally didn't understand the film at all. It's full of factual inaccuracies. Shoddy.
    Or you didn't understand it. There's always that possibility.
    Why I oughta...

    An example of a factual inaccuracy just to prove something or other:

    "Jeff Daniels has a funny cameo as Abe, the gang boss who has to make excursions back in time to check this side of the operation is running smoothly." - He doesn't "make excursions" back in time, he lives in the past. In fact, there's no evidence that forward time travel is even possible.

    The reviewer also refers to the Loopers as "lowly paid", which is just completely wrong.
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 23:01:44 71,283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking amazing movie. Really took me by surprise. Had no idea it was going in that direction.

    Emily Blunt should win stuff. As should GL.

    I'm happy. Top movie.
  • Rusty_M 11 Oct 2012 23:28:21 4,865 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was better than I expected although it frequently sometimes jumped between being good and unintentionally funny.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

  • Tonka 12 Oct 2012 09:35:56 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, Emily Blunt is really good. I've only seen her in smallish roles though. Must be shit to be a female actor.

    One thing though.

    Why did The Rainmaker become The Rainmaker in the "bruce willis grows old" timeline? Clearly Bruce hasn't been there to murder his mother. There isn't any reason for the rainmakers hate of loopers either.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Tonka 12 Oct 2012 09:39:14 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JCHilton I disagree. I think it had a very focused message/comment on a sociatal dilemma.

    Over and over the films discuss the importance of parenting and the effect adults have on children. There is a very strong critique of absent fathers.

    (The name Cid takes in his angry future being the most obvious)

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Scurrminator 12 Oct 2012 10:14:37 8,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Aye, Emily Blunt is really good. I've only seen her in smallish roles though. Must be shit to be a female actor.

    One thing though.

    Why did The Rainmaker become The Rainmaker in the "bruce willis grows old" timeline? Clearly Bruce hasn't been there to murder his mother. There isn't any reason for the rainmakers hate of loopers either.
    When young Joe first speaks to Cid he tells him that his 'mother is a liar and not his real mother' so the relationship is pretty broken at that point.
    This changes over the time that Young Joe spends with them and so in a way maybe he acts as a positive influence/father figure and Cid and his mother in the end get along.
    Without Joe being there at all that relationship never changed.
    As for the rest...watch the diner scene again ;-)

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • Tonka 12 Oct 2012 10:34:39 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True that. It goes with the main theme of the importance of parenting.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Tonka 12 Oct 2012 11:00:42 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm... there is an extended cut released in China. Has more stuff with BW in Shanghai.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Scurrminator 12 Oct 2012 11:23:54 8,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah - it will be on the home release as deleted scenes.

    You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

  • Rusty_M 12 Oct 2012 12:11:54 4,865 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re: the diner scene.

    Why did he shoot out one pane of glass, then dive through the other? . Just found that amusing.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

  • Tonka 12 Oct 2012 13:09:46 21,178 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And why is he lefthanded as an old fart but righthanded as a youngling?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply