Football Manager Handheld (Android) - Out Now!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • marc_si 5 Apr 2012 14:46:18 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This has been largely a labour of love for me, a lot of people requested it so I spent a LOT of my spare time writing a prototype and persuading people it was viable, it went into proper production and should be out soon - if its supported (ie. purchased by the community) then it'll become an ongoing franchise like on iOS, if not then I'll look silly for suggesting it to SEGA/SI in the first place ... entirely in your court now chaps.

You can find the official announcement about it here:
    http://www.sigames.com/news/14114/Football+Manager+Handheld+makes+Android+debut

Hope this helps,

Marc
  • coastal 5 Apr 2012 14:49:43 5,377 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done Marc,

Any chance of Xperia Play support?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• marc_si 5 Apr 2012 15:23:34 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It definitely supports the Xperia play - QA have several of them in their labs.

(it does however work on a touch basis not via. PSP controls)
  • Dougs 5 Apr 2012 16:30:55 66,671 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't wait!
  • THFourteen 5 Apr 2012 17:35:18 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ill buy it on day 1 for sure!

Was one of the games I knew I'd miss on android.
  • varsas 6 Apr 2012 21:28:08 2,401 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm looking forward to playing this on my lovely tablet! :)
  • Murbal 11 Apr 2012 16:15:53 21,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll do Marc's job for him:

http://bit.ly/IPTW0R
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2012 16:20:15 66,671 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /bought
  • Load_2.0 11 Apr 2012 16:23:26 18,900 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha my workmates wil buy this for sure, thanks for the heads up.
  • LFMartins 11 Apr 2012 16:28:44 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im playing Football Manager in my phone while working, the future is here!
  • marc_si 11 Apr 2012 18:15:16 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Murbal thanks much appreciated, as you've probably realised I'm been kinda busy today ;)
  • marc_si 11 Apr 2012 18:15:18 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Murbal oh and the link he posted is undoubtably to the store page for the game .... heres another seeing as the forum double posted me ;) http://bit.ly/Iz05nq

Edited by marc_si at 18:15:59 11-04-2012
  • Deleted user 11 April 2012 18:16:39
    Any chance of this making the Amazon store? I can't use the Google Play store on my Fire. :(
  • THFourteen 11 Apr 2012 18:18:58 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yay compatible with Galaxy Note it says

How does this compare to ios feature wise?
  • marc_si 12 Apr 2012 00:03:12 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The feature set is very similar to that on iOS - biggest difference is that there is only a single nations leagues active in a game on Android (simply put some of the older devices are somewhat memory limited).

Outside of that the only other difference is no integrated manual (yet - might come in an update time will tell) and no stadium finder (for locating real-life stadiums).

Everything else should be pretty much identical.

PS - Reports are it plays fine on the Note - but it will have a border due to that devices uber high resolution (we will be looking at doing additional size skins as part of the update cycle - but no decisions have been made yet about which ones will be undertaken, we'll be looking mainly at which are most popular when prioritising them).
  • marc_si 12 Apr 2012 00:04:23 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Any chance of this making the Amazon store? I can't use the Google Play store on my Fire. :(
    I believe that additional stores will be looked at subsequently - although I don't have a list of which it will be placed within (ie. no idea if Amazon will be one of them, I know some publishers have issues with that stores terms and conditions).
  • kingcrowbar 12 Apr 2012 08:14:42 911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing as I haven't really played one of these for nearly 20 years :eek:, what is best for a gentle start.

Is there a difficulty difference between the leagues, as in Premier will be much harder than League 2?
    I was thinking I'd be better off with a lower team as I won't have any preconceptions about player names :-)

Where can I find out what the symbols/colours mean on the players?

If additional resolutions are being looked at, can 1280x800 please be added?
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2012 09:50:54 66,671 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quickest 30 min commute in some time! It's taking a while to get used to not using the hardware back button, keep exiting the prog, but otherwise it looks golden. This will really, really annoy the wife now.
  • Murbal 12 Apr 2012 09:54:28 21,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Quickest 30 min commute in some time! It's taking a while to get used to not using the hardware back button, keep exiting the prog, but otherwise it looks golden. This will really, really annoy the wife now.
    "Are you still in the bathroom?"
  • lucky_jim 12 Apr 2012 10:09:49 5,257 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kingcrowbar
    You should feel right at home: imo the iOS edition has a lot in common with "classic" Championship Manager, and I'm guessing this is a pretty straight port.

In terms of choosing your side, it's quite realistic. If you want a fairly "easy" game, go with your Utd/ City/ Chelsea/ Spurs/ Arsenal type sides, simply because you'll have better players and more cash (but, conversely, higher expectations: you should be well-equipped to meet them though).

Alternatively, you can pick a side with relatively low expectations, such as Brighton (who I use, mainly cos I'm a fan but also because they're a great starter team in this game). More challenging overall, but you can afford a few bad results without getting an insta-sack, and you can exceed their modest mid-table aspirations by making good use of their wingers and Craig Mackail-Smith.

I use a 4-3-3 with two of Vicente, Craig Noone, Kazenga Lua Lua and Will Buckley playing as inside forwards and CMS (or Sam Vokes) as target man, it's working very well so far but I also snapped up Guti on a free whose midfield presence pretty much guarantees me a point in the one-out-of-two games he's fit enough to play. I'm not sure if Guti would have come for 12k a week if I didn't already have Vicente and Calderon to keep him company, though.

Anyway, I'm sure you Android peeps will have as much fun with this game as I have, I play it more than the full-fat version nowadays.

Edited by lucky_jim at 10:12:11 12-04-2012
  • Rens11 12 Apr 2012 10:17:46 1,385 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone tried it on the HTC one x? Is it full screen?

Mark will it be possible to run several leagues at once on more powerful android phones in a future update possibly?

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• souvlaki 12 Apr 2012 10:57:26 717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just purchased this - never played the game before - always preferred the pro evo \ fifa route of having a guy on the pitch. It seems perfect for the phone though when needing to kill some time.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2012 11:18:35 66,671 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    "Are you still in the bathroom?"
    Along with "put that s*dding phone down"!
  • marc_si 12 Apr 2012 20:46:52 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:Mark will it be possible to run several leagues at once on more powerful android phones in a future update possibly?
    Thats unlikely to happen in an update for this version - but presuming I get the go-ahead for a new version next year I'm hoping that it will be possible for that one (by then hopefully I'll have learnt a bit more about the platform and also worked out how to further compress things down a little more).
  • AaronTurner 13 Apr 2012 02:45:29 7,591 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A couple of comments:

its good, whizzed along on my s2. However I wish I could have more leagues running as this phone clearly has the grunt.

Is it possible to reduce the player size in zoom mode?

The game seems very fast, I have it on the slowest speed but the action still flies.

Personally I dislike the use of the back button to exit the game. Its far too easy to accident brush it on my s2 and exit the game.

Otherwise a great start and perfect for my commute.

Edited by AaronTurner at 02:46:32 13-04-2012
  • Dougs 13 Apr 2012 07:05:33 66,671 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, awesome stuff. Agree re the back button. I also struggle to drag the right players of the subs bench etc. But great stuff.
  • kingcrowbar 13 Apr 2012 08:50:45 911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @lucky_jim
    Cheers for the tips, I went for Barnet in the end and started the league with a win :).

It does feel like playing CM93/94 again but hopefully I don't lose a whole summer to it like I did on the Amiga :)

Some kind of undo or highlight of who you've just swapped would be lovely for a butter fingers like me though as I sometimes drag things I didn't mean to and have no idea where they were.

For subbing I find it easier to drag the player from the pitch to the sub rather than the other way.
  • marc_si 13 Apr 2012 17:02:13 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some kind of undo or highlight of who you've just swapped would be lovely for a butter fingers like me though as I sometimes drag things I didn't mean to and have no idea where they were.
    Noted and thanks for the feedback, but first and foremost I'll be looking at 'bugs' and problem on specific hardware devices before I add in additional items like this (so please be patient).
  • souvlaki 23 Apr 2012 16:11:44 717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started playing this on a weekend trip and I really like it. I'm crap at it though - how much effort do I have to put into individual players and tweaking tactics like passing styles etc.? I started as Arsenal and figure I should win most matches, but that isn't the case. I walk the champions league, but mid table in the Premier.

/ would also like it to be easier for swapping players as I fine the whole drag drop thing doesn't always work or picks the wrong player.
  • marc_si 24 Apr 2012 14:05:25 313 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rens11 the OneX won't be full screen at the moment, however an update with a uber-HD skin available in the forthcoming update (early May release all being well) which will provide full-screen support for this device.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous