HTC One X Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Nov 2012 10:07:20 36,278 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh. old rechargeable batteries used to be like that. It's not been an issue for YEARS.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Alastair 13 Nov 2012 10:10:50 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what I thought...

Glad to see Vodafone are keeping their staff abreast of technological developments.

The one thing I am concerned about is whether I can transfer the licence for HTC Locations to the new phone. I paid 30 for a perpetual licence for Western Europe navigation. Hopefully I can somehow transfer that to my new phone. I feel that I should be able to, but I just wonder if Route 66 (the navigation providers) will claim that it's non-transferable.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Jazzassin 13 Nov 2012 10:47:50 75 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    That's what I thought...

Glad to see Vodafone are keeping their staff abreast of technological developments.

The one thing I am concerned about is whether I can transfer the licence for HTC Locations to the new phone. I paid 30 for a perpetual licence for Western Europe navigation. Hopefully I can somehow transfer that to my new phone. I feel that I should be able to, but I just wonder if Route 66 (the navigation providers) will claim that it's non-transferable.
    Depends on if it's tied to a HTC account I suppose.

I wouldn't know, I never bothered to activate my 30-day trial, been using Google Maps Navigation.
  • Alastair 13 Nov 2012 11:00:57 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:

Depends on if it's tied to a HTC account I suppose.

I wouldn't know, I never bothered to activate my 30-day trial, been using Google Maps Navigation.
    Yeah, it's not really clear...

I use Google Navigation in the UK, but for foreign holidays I don't wanna use any roaming data!

Not as nice as I used to be

• infoxicated 15 Nov 2012 14:01:17 1,022 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yesterday I caved and went for the 64Gb HTC One X+ on Vodafone.

33 per month in Phones4U with 500Mb data & 2Gb cloud wifi a month, and unlimited texts & cross-network minutes.

My number hasn't ported across yet so haven't used it as a phone, but I set up Music Unlimited on it just to test out the Beats Audio and it really is superb through my Shure SE215 earphones. The ear buds that came with the phone can stay in the packet, though - they look a bit rubbish!

Battery life seems okay so far - I charged it yesterday afternoon and used the camera a bit at a gig last night, as well as setting it to download a lot of music to offline playlists & some apps over night. I surfed the net a bit with it on the train this morning and listened to the music I'd downloaded - inadvertently streaming some of it because I forgot to switch Music Unlimited to offline mode!

It's sitting at 50% at the moment, which I think is reasonable for the use. Hopefully I'll get a solid day out of it once it beds in, as the battery life had been one of my concerns after how poor my Desire Z's is.

The camera was superb at the Architects gig last night. Took pics of the guitarist crowd surfing with the burst mode and considering the light/movement I think the results are very good.
  • superdelphinus 2 Dec 2012 08:35:50 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just got the same phone yesterday on Vodafone, moving from iPhone 4 on o2. Really impressed so far. Is there a way to make the screen rapidly scroll to the top of the screen there is on the iPhone
  • Tricky 2 Dec 2012 09:35:38 4,303 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty sure that's patented by Apple - it's one of the points in the Samsung legal battle.
  • superdelphinus 2 Dec 2012 09:40:27 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bummer
  • Sharzam 2 Dec 2012 13:48:03 2,118 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes Apple really can patent an animation..

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• captainrentboy 2 Dec 2012 14:05:49 839 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had mine since April, love it! Very fast with great specs. Battery can be a bummer, so if you can get the newer + model then do so, it has a far bigger battery and a faster processor.
    Jelly Bean should be dripping on the standard model pretty soon too, and supposedly that helps out a bit with some of the minor issues.
  • superdelphinus 5 Dec 2012 16:50:15 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had it for a few days now and my number finally ported over yesterday. Overall I'm really impressed. Its very quick and seems nice and streamlined. The only downsides I've noticed so far is that it doesn't handle push mail anything like as well as an iPhone (can be an hour's difference between the two, and in some ways lacks the overall polish of his in quite subtle ways. I think these may be android things rather than HTC issues though.

I'd fully recommend this phone for anyone bored of apple and his to move over too. Its better overall than the iPhone 5
  • crispyduckman 5 Dec 2012 18:51:36 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Android's built in email client doesn't support imap idle, which is "push" for imap accounts. Try K-9 mail from the play store. That's what I use and I get my imap emails straight away.

FYI, I still use the built in client for my exchange account, which is obviously not imap.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• crashVoodoo 5 Dec 2012 19:11:37 3,821 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Android's built in email client doesn't support imap idle, which is "push" for imap accounts. Try K-9 mail from the play store. That's what I use and I get my imap emails straight away.

FYI, I still use the built in client for my exchange account, which is obviously not imap.
    This is HTCs email client though isnt it. Doesnt this support imap idle?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• infoxicated 5 Dec 2012 21:00:12 1,022 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monnique wrote:
    I seems to be nice phone. Do you recommend it?
    Yes! I'm really happy with the One X+ so far. I was initially concerned about battery life, but unless I'm really hammering it the battery easily lasts a full day. Only once has the indicator gone amber on me when I've been out and about and that was a trip to the new velodrome in Glasgow where I'd been rattling off loads of pictures.

The only thing that bugs me about it so far is that there's a big step between two volume levels. It was the same on my previous phone, but it seems worse on this one and it's annoyance because it's either too quiet or just that little bit too loud.

I could compensate for this with my music by using MP3Gain to normalise it at a set level, but for the most part I've been listening to Music Unlimited play lists or audiocasts, so I don't have that option.

I'm sure this can be sorted with a software update, though, so it's pretty minor compared to how good the hardware is over all.
  • crispyduckman 5 Dec 2012 21:07:34 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As far as I know, it's the standard android email client with HTC Sense skin. In any event, I don't think it gets imap emails pushed to it. Don't know if that's changing in android 4.1 or 4.2.

For non-exchange email, i actually prefer k-9 anyway. It's advanced options can be a little daunting at first and it takes a bit of time to set it up how you like. I particularly like the option to disable push audio notifications at certain times of day - i.e. when I'm sleeping. Among other things, you can also set up an archive button and exclude certain accounts from the unified inbox.

• superdelphinus 5 Dec 2012 21:24:50 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just put gmail through exchange (as on the iPhone) and it pushes them, just nothing like as quickly as an iPhone does. Thought I have noticed a bit of an improvement today so it may have been a vodafone/O2 porting issue somewhere. Still not able to receive texts with any real consistency (again nothing to do with the phone) which is a bit frustrating.

My mrs has a work galaxy s3 and I think this is better, purely because it looks much more premium ;)
  • crispyduckman 6 Dec 2012 00:14:09 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I set up the google exchange thing for a friend on iOS. Technically speaking, I'm not sure how that's working. With my actual exchange server, sometimes mail appears a few moments earlier on iOS, sometimes a few moments earlier on Android. Either way, there's not much in it.

I've heard of people using gmail to collect imap accounts and then having gmail push to the gmail app or stock android email. I've not tried this but I imagine the effectiveness depends on how frequently gmail collects from the original imap server. In terms of speed and keeping email folders organised, I doubt it's as effective as using imap idle but it might have some other advantages - I think true push is supposed to be easier on the battery than imap idle (although I've not noticed it using K-9).

• sanctusmortis 7 Dec 2012 16:12:55 9,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there any news on the X+ over here yet?
  • superdelphinus 7 Dec 2012 16:58:01 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What do you mean by 'over here' and 'news'?
  • sanctusmortis 8 Dec 2012 12:26:14 9,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is anyone offering it on contract yet, as all I've seen is resellers selling the unlocked handset itself...?
  • superdelphinus 8 Dec 2012 12:33:19 7,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine is on a Vodafone contract
  • jystyn 17 Dec 2012 15:05:30 30 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone with an unlocked HTC One X have the Jelly Bean Update yet?
  • Reecey 18 Dec 2012 19:07:28 4 posts
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sky go now working for HTC one x, but not if your rooted like me :-(
  • jystyn 19 Dec 2012 13:55:04 30 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got the Jelly Bean update this morning! The phone is definitely more responsive and liking the new HTC gallery app.
  • infoxicated 19 Dec 2012 14:55:38 1,022 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HTC One X+ has a system update available now as well. Just downloading it, seems to be performance related improvements and some bug fixes.

No mention of any refinement to the volume step issue I have with it or the audio popping I've been getting with mp3 playback, though. :|
  • crispyduckman 10 Jan 2013 13:41:53 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My mum recently got a Nexus 4 and I really like the bare android UI over sense. I tried Nova Launcher, which is great but the dialer, contacts etc are still all sense-ified. Any way to un-sense these without flashing?

While I'm at it, it really bothers me that I have to unlock with the ring and then enter my unlock pattern. The nexus and my old Samsung GS2 went straight to the pattern. Any way to get that happening on the one x?

• crashVoodoo 10 Jan 2013 14:06:03 3,821 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    My mum recently got a Nexus 4 and I really like the bare android UI over sense. I tried Nova Launcher, which is great but the dialer, contacts etc are still all sense-ified. Any way to un-sense these without flashing?

While I'm at it, it really bothers me that I have to unlock with the ring and then enter my unlock pattern. The nexus and my old Samsung GS2 went straight to the pattern. Any way to get that happening on the one x?
    Yeah, nexus 4 is sweet :-D

Have a look in the settings for the security or lock screen options and see if you can remove the ring slide.

With regards to un-sensifying the only way to do it without flashing is to find stock versions of the apps, install them and then set them as the default app.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:06:42 10-01-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crispyduckman 10 Jan 2013 15:42:25 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh shit, you can just disable the lock screen in "personalise", which doesn't affect the presence of the security lock. Damn, that's been bothering me for about a year.

Does anyone know of a good custom rom that has OTA updates? I know viperX has this but, as I mentioned, I want to get rid of sense.

• Page

of 6 First / Last