Lone Survivor - side-scrolling psychological horror

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • monkehhh 28 Mar 2012 18:12:16 3,269 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone tried demo on Kongregate and it seems pretty sweet so far - though I am bad at horror so I might have to stop for a cry soon.

Lots of words about it over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun -
    Lone Survivor is a superb one-man horror show that has a lovely cat sub-plot, the best soundtrack Iíve heard so far this year and an entirely unexpected sense of humour. Itís not the kind of scary that will frighten the toupťe off you, but itís the kind that might just make you think, reflect and then shudder a little. It might even make you all misty-eyed and forlorn.
  • santashi 28 Mar 2012 19:53:47 5,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds pretty interesting. Think I'll download the demo this weekend and give it a go. I'd never actually heard if it before.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• skuzzbag 28 Mar 2012 19:57:57 5,637 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds good but I did think he had a big cheesy grin before I read that it's actually a mask!
  • jakuande 29 Mar 2012 10:19:42 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played the demo for this at Kongregate last night. It's amazing how the creator got the atmosphere so right. Even playing it windowed in a browser surrounded by ads it's still damn spooky. The graphics are old school pixel art but there's some great effects laid over them which work really well and as RPS pointed out the use of music/sound is superb. The everything is not what it seems story looks really good too.

Wonder if the guy plans to put it on steam?
  • samk 29 Mar 2012 23:43:04 703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought it and the first half hour was absolutely terrific. Really great atmosphere, and very intriguing.

Now I'm utterly stumped with no idea where to go and my reward for making no progress is being penalised by the game.

I've entered a room with "NO OTHER SOLUTION..." on the wall. Either I'm an idiot, or the solution is incredibly obscure.

I've been wandering around for half an hour wondering what the fuck I'm meant to be doing and the game is now penalising me by telling me I need food every few minutes, shortly thereafter killing me because I've got no food left. Thanks very fucking much. This really is a very questionable design decision.

So, impressions after an hour's play; definitely a labour of love by the creator, but he should have got more people to play it during development and sat behind them to see bits they didn't understand.
  • LewisDenby 30 Mar 2012 08:46:04 1 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @samk I think Lone Survivor makes a mistake in assuming you'll be happy to experiment in the face of danger. Know that the game never backs you into an irreparable situation - there's a way, for example, of finding a pretty constant reserve of food and ammo, you just have to experiment with the game's systems in order to work it out. In fact, it's largely a game about figuring out how things work. Keep trying stuff (and sleep as often is necessary), and it should eventually click.

What's your current objective?
  • samk 30 Mar 2012 10:21:34 703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the map there is a question mark on the "NO OTHER SOLUTION.." room. Quite what the game is expecting me to do in there I have no idea. The first question mark on the room with the weird party still remains (though they're all now dead in there).

I think I've been around all currently accessible areas again and reclicked on everything, to no avail.
  • jakuande 30 Mar 2012 16:47:23 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You must have missed something, I got past that area last night without doing anything special Did you try all the doors in Chie's place and the open the locked door in your apartment? You should eventually be able to find a room with a patch of skin on the wall.
  • samk 31 Mar 2012 21:39:58 703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out there was a dresser in Chie's place that could be moved aside.

I've played about a further two hours now. Explored most of the basement before fear got the better of me.

Really good game. Pretty terrifying due to how vulnerable you are and how much you need to ration yourself. My one gripe is that the monsters respawn, which is just unneeded imo. :(
  • SirScratchalot 11 Apr 2012 16:00:01 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For linux switchers like me I'd like to add that this runs flawlessly in WINE. Really nice this, though I think I need an unbroken amount of time to figure things out.
  • Razz 11 Apr 2012 16:11:25 60,777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wtf? this looks awesome, downloading

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• samk 16 Apr 2012 11:03:13 703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've now completed this. I got an F rating. :(

Good game, glad I bought it.
  • SirScratchalot 16 Apr 2012 15:40:58 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just get back in there in Expert mode. Then it really breaks your manly parts. Assuming you're a bloke of course.
  • SirScratchalot 16 Apr 2012 21:26:45 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, so I've hit an emotional unpassable roadblock here.
    I've fed the cat twice and now it waits outside the fire-escape door. But I can't seem to let it in to the appartement, and it meows ever so accusingly. I've tried giving it food through the door which locks my character in a spastic mamba.
    How do I let the poor kitty in? Anyone know?
  • -cerberus- 17 Sep 2013 21:16:47 2,461 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    VG247: Lone Survivor: The Directorís Cut releases on PS3, Vita in Europe next week

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• King_Edward 17 Sep 2013 21:33:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any chance they'll patch the controller support into the pc version?

May have to double dip.
  • Skirlasvoud 17 Sep 2013 22:23:44 231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, Jasper is working on porting it over to the PS3 and updating the PC version. Nothing is definitive, but yet, there's a chance.
  • bonga2012 18 Sep 2013 10:27:24 29 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Addicted after 60 seconds of gameplay :D
  • Triggerhappytel 19 Sep 2013 01:14:21 2,673 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    VG247: Lone Survivor: The Directorís Cut releases on PS3, Vita in Europe next week
    Awesome awesome awesome! Been looking forward to a console version of this ever since I first heard about it. Seems like it will be perfect on the Vita. I'll have to clear my other games and make sure I've time to dedicate to this.
  • Trafford 26 Sep 2013 19:30:23 5,639 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm going to lock myself away with this at the weekend.
    How are people finding this on a big screen?
  • Trafford 29 Sep 2013 09:44:22 5,639 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game is an AV treat. I took the creators suggestion and used headphones and a darkened room. The soundtrack is incredible, just need to wait until it goes dark so I can dive back in.
  • Rhaegyr 29 Sep 2013 12:47:12 1,435 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any Twin Peaks fan needs to play this game.
  • Rhythm 21 Oct 2013 12:38:49 2,471 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fucking YES! Held off on buying the PSN version of the Director's Cut, have been rewarded in (bloody) spades (covered in patio filth) as the Director's Cut launches on PC next week for free!

Lone Survivor DC free if you already own the PC original
  • TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 12:53:12 2,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got this for the mac from a humble bundle. I liked the idea but found playing it to be quite frustrating and slow going.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 12:56:04 2,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    samk wrote:
    I bought it and the first half hour was absolutely terrific. Really great atmosphere, and very intriguing.

Now I'm utterly stumped with no idea where to go and my reward for making no progress is being penalised by the game.

I've entered a room with "NO OTHER SOLUTION..." on the wall. Either I'm an idiot, or the solution is incredibly obscure.

I've been wandering around for half an hour wondering what the fuck I'm meant to be doing and the game is now penalising me by telling me I need food every few minutes, shortly thereafter killing me because I've got no food left. Thanks very fucking much. This really is a very questionable design decision.

So, impressions after an hour's play; definitely a labour of love by the creator, but he should have got more people to play it during development and sat behind them to see bits they didn't understand.
    This post essentially describes why I gave up after half an hour. The perceived threat of imminent failure and the trudging around slowly not really achieving anything just put me off.

But the love for it here is strong. Suppose I ought to try again.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• jamievilla 21 Oct 2013 13:36:42 508 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been reading everyone's comments with interest, just wondered what sort of horror game this was? Is it actually scary, jump out at you type of game - or more of an unsettling game with a cool story?

In short, I'm a wuss. I really like interesting games with good stories and settings but I struggle with anything scary (Amnesia/Outlast etc)

Edit - or I could have just read the original post. D'oh.

Edited by jamievilla at 13:41:31 21-10-2013
  • Skirlasvoud 21 Oct 2013 20:01:02 231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jamievilla

Its unsettling. Deeply unsettling with a really clever story.

There are few jump scares, but the main part is being exposed to thoroughly unpleasant, tense situations. From creeping past lifeless dolls of flesh, to constantly scavenging for food, to dealing with creepy NPCs who vanish, to taking drugs whose effects you can't predict.
    Its a kind of: "Don't want to see whatever's making that huge, pounding moist noise in the dark... AH CRAP! ITS BREAKING THROUGH THE DOOR!"

I can define the game through one scene alone, without giving out too many spoilers: You go through a basement hallway, lined with closets closed by doors. You enter into most of those tiny rooms, scavenging, until in one closet, the door closes and you're stuck in your dark 2x2 room with no way out. The game keeps you there for 3 minutes as you do the analogue of trying to scratch your way out with your fingernails by frantically hitting the keys on your keyboard.

It makes... the little cheerful things like taking care of a stray cat, baking a really good meal or actually coming across a friendly NPC worth it.
  • jamievilla 21 Oct 2013 20:12:20 508 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Skirlasvoud fucking hell! That sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time.. Might have to get it, play it and then bottle out.. :)

Oh and 'moist noise' is probably the most unsettling description of anything I've heard for a while.
  • onestepfromlost 21 Oct 2013 20:18:11 2,039 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    its getting updated on Halloween, but doesn't it steam usually updates things going by USA times, so Halloween here will be done or nearly done by the time it updates.

Was going to be my Halloween game as well :(
  • ReLowned 21 Oct 2013 20:25:47 1 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    This game has really played with my mind. It's such a fantastic game... however it is a bit scary at some parts :(
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next