Phantasy Star Online 2 Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• ecureuil 28 Mar 2012 01:15:05 76,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it's even been confirmed for a western release yet. But yea, E3 seems likely for more info.
  • chrisno21 28 Mar 2012 07:34:56 1,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With the japanese launch at spring 2013 I guess a western release is late 2013/2014 if at all.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Fydria 28 Mar 2012 15:45:37 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ecureuil I remember also they had a counter where you could download new quests and take part in new missions they added. They had a really popular one when you had a time limit to kill all the bosses one after another. Compared to games now it really didn't have many quests and looking back it was quite grindy but it always seemed so enjoyable, but like I mentioned earlier the community was a massive contributing factor to that.
  • fb77 29 Mar 2012 09:34:23 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fydria wrote:
    @ecureuil I remember also they had a counter where you could download new quests and take part in new missions they added. They had a really popular one when you had a time limit to kill all the bosses one after another. Compared to games now it really didn't have many quests and looking back it was quite grindy but it always seemed so enjoyable, but like I mentioned earlier the community was a massive contributing factor to that.
    "Towards the Future" is the quest you mean. Still popular for fast levelling. I just hope there are enough of us with 'old school' PSO memories to make it as great as it was before the hack-fest ensued. Judging by the success of unofficial support for PSO to this day, if the game is right, the community will follow...myself included!
  • Fydria 29 Mar 2012 16:50:23 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @fb77 Yep "TTF", that's it. Man those were the days! Do you remember the high level lobbies that had the football game in them, always made me laugh.
  • fb77 29 Mar 2012 22:58:24 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fydria I surely do remember the footy lobbies. Always good for a break in questing. We probably managed a 'serious' game about once! The nice thing was, the sheer number of lobbies meant you could pick one which was free and meet your friends, pretty much in isolation...for photon chair racing!
  • Fydria 30 Mar 2012 16:08:19 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @fb77 Are you an original Dreamcast player mate? Or just from PC?

Ps: Your forum status says you were last seen 43 years ago. Nice one! :D

Edited by Fydria at 16:09:27 30-03-2012
  • ecureuil 30 Mar 2012 16:13:53 76,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope we can make our own emoticons again.
  • Fydria 30 Mar 2012 16:16:02 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I hope we can make our own emoticons again.
    Haha, yes! That was epic. I remember somebody that made a really decent Thundercats one, they were great fun.
  • DFawkes 30 Mar 2012 17:04:46 22,831 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh man I forgot about the custom emoticons! I loved those :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• fb77 31 Mar 2012 09:48:21 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fydria I'm old school PSO. Started with DC v1 back in 2000. Played every EU version since, except Playstation 2 for some reason! DC to GC (including Ep3!) then Xbox to BB on PC (until it shut down!). More recently PSU on 360 (shudder!) and PSP1/2 on, erm, PSP... and PS0 on DS.

It's 100% my favourite game of all time...and I'd be torn between Ep1/2 on GC or BB on PC as my fave version.

So, to say this game means a lot to me is a bit of an understatement. Don't let me down ST.
  • Fydria 31 Mar 2012 13:51:44 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @fb77 Did you play 50hz or 60hz on Dreamcast? I played from v2 and still keep in contact with people I met on it even now. I did try PSU on 360 aswell but what a dissapointment that was, and also like you picked up the PSP version.
  • fb77 31 Mar 2012 21:02:23 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fydria 60hz for me. I too am still in touch with many PSO friends of old - I'm sure a lot were from a website of old called PSO Quest.
  • Fydria 31 Mar 2012 21:13:42 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @fb77 I was a 50hz'er myself, I went onto 60hz one day and it was overwhelming how many more people were on it compared to 50hz, but some great memories from the game, I mean like the first time you fight the dragon in Forest, just.. wow.. mind blown at it's sheer epicness :p
  • fb77 31 Mar 2012 23:27:33 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fydria I have so many amazing memories of the game, and I've not seen such a community since. My spectacles may have a tint of rose, but no other game has ever come close! Even the much maligned story I love. I've got the soundtrack on my phone!

Sheesh, I am a sad obsessive!

Looking at the alpha footage, I'm encouraged they may have nailed it this time. Even the incidental music has returned. Scary to think an EU release isn't even confirmed!
  • ecureuil 31 Mar 2012 23:37:13 76,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's any good it'll get a western release.
  • fb77 1 Apr 2012 00:02:36 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    If it's any good it'll get a western release.
    That's the sort of no nonsense encouragement I needed!
  • ecureuil 1 Apr 2012 01:35:41 76,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will most likely all be confirmed at E3. I'm still extremely skeptical of it being any good though.
  • fb77 1 Apr 2012 07:04:51 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's just nice to know there are others with similar love for PSO - I'm often greeted by "What?" when I discuss my passion!

PSU has left me similarly concerned about the quality though. :-/
  • Cheapshot 1 Apr 2012 07:40:38 162 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really digging the PSO appreciation here. I remember my name being Edge of Reality (cringe) on the 60hz Dreamcast version, which I played to destruction much to my parents' dismay after seeing the phone bills.

I'd love to see all of the old players I rolled with again - I recall a crazy perverted French guy who would show me all of these glitches; one had me flying twenty feet over Forest 1, all while soiling my mind with filthy girl talk I was too young to understand. Ah, nostalgia...

I'm still cautiously optimistic about PSO 2, but that's because I want it to be good more than anything. If they can just tickle my nostalgia bone then i'll be more than sated.
  • Theoris 1 Apr 2012 10:18:09 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheapshot wrote:
    I'd love to see all of the old players I rolled with again - I recall a crazy perverted French guy who would show me all of these glitches; one had me flying twenty feet over Forest 1, all while soiling my mind with filthy girl talk I was too young to understand. Ah, nostalgia...
    Was this guy on 50HZ? I had a similar experience.. Haha
  • Fydria 1 Apr 2012 10:21:51 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    By the way, I still claim that I invented PSO Pacman, running around dropping 1 meseta with someone running behind me picking them up :D. It is good to hear of people talking of PSO with fondness. It's really sad how alot of Dreamcast games are unheard of to most gamers these days, I almost cry when people say, Shenmue? Whats that?. Another thing that amazed me about PSO is just how well it ran online, I can't remember too many times when the game lagged or seemed unresponsive, considering the Dreamcast modem was what? 32k?.
  • fb77 1 Apr 2012 16:48:13 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you claimed to have played a dial-up MMO these days, you'd be laughed off stage!

Often the non-game highlights are as important as the actual game...like when the lobby actions were still fairly secret and we spent ages falling over to everyone's incredulity.

I've never recreated the feeling of seeing a rare drop in the Ultimate Ruins which turned out to be the Twin Psycho Gun I'd been craving.

Those were the actual days.
  • Cheapshot 1 Apr 2012 18:53:46 162 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theoris wrote:
    Was this guy on 50HZ? I had a similar experience.. Haha
    Nah, I've never tried 50hz. It blows my mind that they had seperate servers for both refresh rates.

I remember PSO Pacman! If you were the one that created those breadcrumb trails I would spot every now and then, then hats of to you Fydria! I liked how when the combat got a bit repetitive we created our own fun.

And yes, dial-up wasn't as bad as everyone makes out now. I remember finding a way to join the PSO V2 PC servers on the Dreamcast version. When I told everyone I was sitting on a Dreamcast using a 33k modem people were flabbergasted.

It was like I was an intrepid explorer of the unknown - man, we all were. Sigh... now I've just made an account on the PSO schthack server, god help me. :)
  • Fydria 1 Apr 2012 20:46:52 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All this talk makes me want to roll back the years for some easy-living PSO fun. :D
  • santashi 1 Apr 2012 21:10:46 5,111 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually, one of the things that sticks in my head was that it was one of the first games I played where you couldn't pause-even offline. I remember doing one boss battle (on a raft in a tight tunnel?) where the phone rang and caused great indecision in me. ;)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Fydria 1 Apr 2012 21:20:13 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @santashi De Rol Le, big giant snake thingy.. :D
  • santashi 1 Apr 2012 21:24:25 5,111 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fydria wrote:
    @santashi De Rol Le, big giant snake thingy.. :D
    Well remembered! All I could remember was that the name made me laugh at the time. ;)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Cheapshot 1 Apr 2012 21:42:56 162 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That snake was such a pain in the arse. I could never beat it on my own, unless I was like ten levels above the recommended level. Even then, I had to drug myself up to the eyeballs with Monomates to succeed.

At least the music was amazing for that hellspawn.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last