Wargame: European Escalation Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Zaiz 15 Apr 2012 21:15:39 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never played Ruse, but almost every wargame player who played both is like "Ruse was a spammy shitstorm, Wargame is much better".

Free DLC was intended from the start, and the temporary sale is to capitalize on it. Eugen has shit for money, so they need to be on the Steam front page as much as possible to succeed.

This game has more strategic depth than most RTS I've played in a long time. Unit facing and position is important, as is proper scouting. With a few notable exceptions, you have a reason to use just about every unit in your roster.

And yes, you do sound like a troll because you are lazily deriding a game you've never played in the face of people saying it isn't like that at all.
  • *Oxymoron* 15 Apr 2012 21:26:37 11 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow this has to be the first time I'v ever heard someone complain about being given free content. Free content should be encouraged and props to Eugen for providing it.
  • Rusty_M 15 Apr 2012 21:35:05 4,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Free is my favourite price!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• romelpotter 15 Apr 2012 21:43:44 202 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I have Ruse and love it, still play it today. Price drop is a clincher for me and I have just grabbed it from Steam.

Can't wait to get stuck in.
  • Zaiz 15 Apr 2012 23:27:23 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most game companies now a days know better than to do demos. Some fantastic games have gotten snubbed completely on the basis of a bad demo. It's why the -vast majority- of games these days don't have demos.

No, it is something to be praised CoD would have charged 8 euros for half the features(and not given a damn that they split the community!). And yes, the ping was desperately needed but as people have mentioned, Eugen has no money. They dropped a rich publisher and moved to whoever would take them. I can accept them not having every feature under the sun at launch.

And yes, you are trolling but like all poor trolls, all you've managed to do is make people think you are a total dumbass. Bravo. Trolling is to make people angry, buddy, and all I feel like I'm doing is teaching you how to not shit yourself in public.
  • RedSparrows 16 Apr 2012 08:28:22 24,178 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Potion, either buy the game or stop bleating about it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 Apr 2012 09:36:14 35,851 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Potioninmypants The game had a skirmish mode from day 1. What is new now is that the skirmish mode is available for multiplayer coop vs. AI games. Which absolutely is not something every RTS has.

Don't think I've ever seen someone rant so much about a game he has not even played. Peculiar. Asking questions, fair enough, but you seem to have formed a very strong opinion based on ... not much.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:37:01 16-04-2012
  • Zaiz 16 Apr 2012 14:44:19 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think he's irrationally angry because people like a game that looked like shit to him at first glance, even though it's absolutely fantastic. So now he's defending his first glance opinion to the death. I really don't know why people do this, but they do it quite a lot. One of the greatest american fuckwits, Andrew Schlafly, has taken the same approach when it came to Fidel Castro. Seriously, now that I realize what I'm dealing with I'm just going to continue poking it with a stick until it leaves.

Also, the AI mode can be 7 players fighting one AI(with how the game works, it's more like 7 AI fighting 7 players) which is pretty neat. I haven't played it yet myself but I want to.

Edited by Zaiz at 14:45:14 16-04-2012
  • Deleted user 17 May 2012 12:44:21
    Nice attitude there, stay classy.

Anyway, bought this yesterday and throughly enjoyed an hour or two on it. Unexpectedly it reminds me of Microprose classic M1 Tank Platoon without the interior views. No bad thing that at all.

Pleasingly challenging so far too. Got through the first level with just one remaining tank and 4 supply trucks ... which I ended up using as impromptu recon units to preserve my firepower >:-)
  • Rusty_M 17 May 2012 12:56:33 4,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Potioninmypants wrote:

I expected the limited controls such as no smoke screen for tanks or the inability to hold their fire when trying to flank. No reverse function as far as I can tell.
    Late reply I know, but didn't previously notice your posts in this thread. In any case, you can turn units' weapons on and off, allowing you to force them to hold their fire whilst flanking.

• Deleted user 17 May 2012 13:09:16
    I managed to reverse a Marder in the second level successfully enough by clicking about a centimeter immediately behind it a few times until it was in the position I wanted. Seemed obvious enough? Can't comment on whether that works all the time as I only attempted it once.

It would be nice to have a key command to force that though, if it doesn't exist already.
  • Rusty_M 17 May 2012 13:20:37 4,919 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't that roughly the same reversing method as Company Of Heroes?

• Deleted user 17 May 2012 13:50:44
    Yeah I think so. Also CoH has that click and drag a short arrow to position front of your armour too.
  • Zaiz 17 May 2012 17:04:30 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, this lacks a click and drag arrow, which is unfortunate.
  • Zaiz 17 May 2012 19:11:16 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Potioninmypants
    protip: Fixed wing aircraft would enter and leave the battlespace before most anti-aircraft units could react. The serious russian AA pieces, the Kub line, are the only things in the game really capable of dealing with jets with any efficency, and they are designed to shoot down jets 40 kilometers away, not five.

Mines would be interesting.

Amphibious vehicles would screw with balance in unholy ways, considering currently the only way to get across bodies of water is with helicopters, which are useless and cheap or useful and cost an arm and a leg. 5-30 points amphibious vehicles would throw off the dynamic quite a bit. Its a nice thought but with how they've balanced the cost/risk dynamics of the game it'd screw things over. And Soviets have a -huge- advantage in amphibious vehicles, because they assumed they'd need to cross the Rhine en masse while Nato assumed they'd be on the other side of the Rhine blowing them to hell while they tried.

More diverse maps would be nice.
  • OldCrow 1 Aug 2012 11:09:28 148 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Digging this up because I love this game.

Anyone else a peeved off that they upgraded AT-Missles? Just encourages camping and makes the PACT tanks even more superior to the NATO ones.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jan 2013 12:23:24 24,178 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bump

Finally got round to playing this. My kind of game, definitely.
  • RunningMan 24 Jan 2013 12:26:44 2,451 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Going cheap on Origins at the mo.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jan 2013 13:17:26 24,178 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quick q: is there any way of permanently displaying a list of your units so you can quick-click them whilst looking elsewhere?
  • RedSparrows 28 Jan 2013 11:09:50 24,178 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone fancy a game? I am RedSparrow in-game.

I think I probably prefer RUSE at this point, but this has so much more to it I think it's just a matter of learning. It'd help if the scenery changed a bit, however ;)
  • Hexagon 4 Feb 2013 12:43:05 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wargame: European Escalation Coming Soon To Linux. After skimming through this thread, I really see no reason not to get this game.

GOG for Linux!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next