Wargame: European Escalation Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Zaiz 15 Mar 2012 03:37:07 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This game is tons of fun. I've seen people complaining that it removed Ruse's gimmick, but honestly the tweaky cold war bits are lots of fun, and it doesn't need a gimmick.

Also interesting to see all of these nations well represented, about 300 units total.

Challengers, Abrams, T-34-85ms, and some of the really neat prototypes. I kinda like the German's little prototype tank destroyer with the cannon, even though I can't figure out how to use it properly other than as an ambush piece.

There are some unfortunate details, like the terrain on the maps kinda obviates one of the big bits of USA tank design: Gun depression. American tanks pretty much always have stupid amounts of ability to elevate and depress the gun, making them less disadvantaged in hill combat.

One other complaint is of course keeping helicopters alive. Even when I'm cautious with them, they always manage to find enemies hiding in woods, and the AI -never- freaking misses sometimes. Its particularly obvious when they use AGTMs. Your AGTMs hit once in a blue moon, theirs knock out entire tank battalions in three and a half seconds.

Edited by Zaiz at 04:06:48 15-03-2012
  • orpheus 15 Mar 2012 13:40:18 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rusty_M

There is a way to reset it all, but it wipes campaign progress etc as well and effectively sets your W:EE account ID back to the state it was when you first loaded the game. Don't have the link handy but can dig it out for you if you need.

Zaiz - keep everything expensive away from woods. The further into the woods the enemy is, the harder it is to spot them, making infantry units in forests very dangerous. The one-shot-kill massive range PACT AA is called the BUK.

Re: your ATGMs & SAMs etc - some things to bear in mind.

MCLOS/SACLOS/Etc make a big difference, the more modern system the better. ATGMs and SAMs are not fire-and-forget (only Apache Hellfires are), so if the unit moves or is suppressed/fired on/etc while the missile is in flight it will affect accuracy. Veterancy makes a big difference, and make sure you check the unit variations as there are sometimes better versions - I spent ages using crappy PACT Strela-2 AA that couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces. Noticed Strela-3 in the unit list, checked the stats.. not used Strela-2 since ;)

Edited by orpheus at 13:40:45 15-03-2012
  • Rusty_M 15 Mar 2012 17:46:25 4,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll bear it in mind. I've not tried multiplayer yet, and I'm a long way away, so not worried about my deck yet. Still plodding through SP (slowly)

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Zaiz 15 Mar 2012 23:19:16 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm aware, I just mean more my helos got popped when traveling back through country I thought I had secured, by a bunch of recon units.

And I also mean I had a team of british strikers unloading on distant russian targets without hits. It was kind of obnoxious considering they weren't getting fired on or moving.
  • RedSparrows 15 Mar 2012 23:28:03 22,315 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really, really like RUSE - on console, even. It had some great ideas and was just solid, even without the ruses themselves. Played like a straight RTS, it is a lot of fun.

I wish this was coming to console, but I really want to get a decent rig, and I reckon this would be top my list. Sounds right up my street.
  • DefendoCroc 16 Mar 2012 15:48:47 23 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zaiz If look the Strikers have a pretty shitty base accuracy (4?), they gain accuracy for each vet level (combat level) they have ,so in MP dont use them unless your willing to give them at least +2 Vet levels.
    Its worth making a local skirmish game to see just how much difference the vet level makes to units. Newb units are pretty lame :)

Edited by DefendoCroc at 15:49:29 16-03-2012
  • orpheus 16 Mar 2012 16:06:03 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's everyone's W:EE ids? We should start adding each other, get some games in? I'm 'orpheus' on there, unsurprisingly!

EDIT: also yeah, DC is right - vet makes a huge difference. Acc 4 at maximum range (remember range also affects hit chance, in addition to the stats, so max range = least accuracy) is pretty low, and you'll need a number of them to hit anything effectively.

I found in the SP, due to the slightly more restricted units, infantry were the best AA due to cheapness & versatility, and didn't use the AA vehicles much. The Shilka and cannon-based AA etc just don't have the range, but they often suppress helos during firing.

Just wait til you hit the BUKs in the multiplayer. It's worse when your scout heli gets one shotted before its even seen the launcher!

Edited by orpheus at 16:10:39 16-03-2012
  • Zaiz 16 Mar 2012 16:35:57 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, infantry are the best AA units. I also found during the campaign that a decent last-ditch helo killer is a squadron of your empty APCs. They don't do much.

There's also another thing the AI can do that you can't, well, at least I think you can't: I watched the AI sending tanks "off map" to follow roads that were more advantageous to the ones I have.

AI is always a cheating bastard, I don't understand why people here are so adamant about defending it. I was just pointing it out. >_> And people also forget to realize that I was directly comparing units between the two factions and not having them sit on their own. AI AGTMs are definitely more accurate than your own.

The AI also seems to know where all your troops are, but they made it so it doesn't use artillery all that much. In the second mission there's a soviet MLRS just sitting next to my army, and they definitely know where my tanks are, since they are shooting at them.
  • DefendoCroc 16 Mar 2012 16:40:39 23 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My W:EE id is: SubXulu
  • orpheus 16 Mar 2012 16:45:50 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zaiz wrote:
    Yeah, infantry are the best AA units. I also found during the campaign that a decent last-ditch helo killer is a squadron of your empty APCs. They don't do much.

There's also another thing the AI can do that you can't, well, at least I think you can't: I watched the AI sending tanks "off map" to follow roads that were more advantageous to the ones I have.

AI is always a cheating bastard, I don't understand why people here are so adamant about defending it. I was just pointing it out. >_> And people also forget to realize that I was directly comparing units between the two factions and not having them sit on their own. AI AGTMs are definitely more accurate than your own.

The AI also seems to know where all your troops are, but they made it so it doesn't use artillery all that much. In the second mission there's a soviet MLRS just sitting next to my army, and they definitely know where my tanks are, since they are shooting at them.

Yeah there are moments of outright cheekiness, there's a later mission where they'll still spawn from captured control points. :eek:

You will get artied later in the campaign though. Last one I did I ended up having to sacrifice a bunch of units to nail three or four MLRS units that kept wrecking my defensive line!

EDIT: DC - sent :)

Edited by orpheus at 16:47:18 16-03-2012
  • DefendoCroc 16 Mar 2012 17:17:16 23 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Orph , we use voice while playing so u better add me on steam: defendo
  • Rusty_M 16 Mar 2012 17:52:55 4,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My W:EE ID is RustyBear

you won't want to team up with me, I'm a fucking liability. Orpheus can probably attest to that from ArmA2!

• orpheus 16 Mar 2012 20:32:39 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    My W:EE ID is RustyBear

you won't want to team up with me, I'm a fucking liability. Orpheus can probably attest to that from ArmA2!
    :D :champ:
  • Rusty_M 6 Apr 2012 23:07:31 4,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good news folks free stuff incoming!

• Zaiz 8 Apr 2012 22:53:48 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is the best RTS I've played since Company of Heroes. If you like commanding units and not building bases, this is your game.

Plus, you get to use british soldiers as screening units for your more valuable american units!

err wait what >_> (enemy stacked AGTMs, eight groups of fusiliers in spartan APCs got to charge them so my chieftains/MBT70s could actually take the position)
  • dsmx 8 Apr 2012 23:18:13 7,589 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahh but can you do operation get behind the darkies ala south park?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• *Oxymoron* 9 Apr 2012 12:40:17 11 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Glad to see that new content is being released so quickly after launch, and stuff that people have actually been asking for as well!
  • Zaiz 9 Apr 2012 14:35:54 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's much more in depth than WiC. Units have armor, fuel, ammunition and morale levels. Eugen tried to keep the game as representative as possible to real life, so you can use legitimate tactics. And thankfully, many units are balanced quite well. There's a few no brainer units, particularly the chasseurs FAMAS, but overall it's pretty great.

For a new player, the one big problem is Eugen doesn't have much money and it shows in the maps. There's only one "scenery" type, and that's European farmland with small towns and forests dotting everywhere.

The other thing is, this game is hard at first. Pact picks you off with AGTM storms, NATO annihilates your small vehicles and helicopters with the ridiculously deadly autocannons. Pact creats no-fly-zones with their super-AA and Nato responds with I-TOW jeeps that one shot Pact's best tanks for 1/6th of the price, or snipes their units with a fast firing and super-accurate mortar unit called the AMX-60.

>_> It isn't pretty, and no matter who you play you'll have something on the enemy team to rage about. Just keep in mind one important aspect of the armor penetration system: AP weapons hurt more the closer they are to their target, and get more accurate.
  • 200k 13 Apr 2012 16:06:52 183 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    40% off on Steam at the moment, down to 17.99. Considering investing but still have dark Souls, Fez and ME3 to finish on the 360 and Witcher 2 to dust on the PC. Recently got back into Company of Heroes so digging the RTS vibe.
  • D_arkTrooper 13 Apr 2012 16:07:49 1,311 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The free DLC is now available on Steam.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• orpheus 13 Apr 2012 16:24:54 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @200k It's a cracking game and the free DLC solves any lingering concerns over lack of co-op etc. If it's on sale, I'd snap it up if you can.
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Apr 2012 19:11:30 12,285 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Who made CoH? That's probably my favourite RTS of the last 10 years, except maybe the Total Wars. I'd love a Company of Heroes sequel.
  • Rusty_M 13 Apr 2012 19:36:24 4,651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was Relic.

• Zaiz 13 Apr 2012 20:50:31 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Potioninmypants I've only seen rushes 1/4th of the time, so that's definitely better than Starcraft. And poorly conceived rushes can be defeated in detail. The only nasty rush right now is the VTS1 rush, which Eugen hasn't done much with, but most people also don't use it because it makes the game too cheesy.

I wouldn't say it gets tedious, either. The only tedium is making sure you have a constant movement of units and supplies to the front line.

Edited by Zaiz at 20:50:50 13-04-2012
  • *Oxymoron* 15 Apr 2012 17:29:38 11 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spam rushes will die every time to a well balanced force. Rushing is a valid tactic and sometimes necessary, but you will always get the occasional idiot who spams 20 Mi24V's or 50 t55's. The best tactic is to save some points to spend on the appropriate reinforcements, or just counter rush with your own force to take out their reinforcement sectors.
  • orpheus 15 Apr 2012 18:14:52 1,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Potioninmypants wrote:
    a good bargain just 2 months after it got released but that's just steam bullshit. It should never have been 40 to begin with.
    Not sure where this is coming from exactly but there's nothing about it that makes me regret paying full price for it. If anything, since Eugen ditched Ubisoft they've improved hugely - something very evident in W:EE over the earlier RUSE - and that should be supported in the age of mass idiot publishers who damage the products they purport to support.

Also,

Potioninmypants wrote:I'm hearing Wargames has boring rush tactics in multiplayer and gets tedious pretty quickly.
    'Game has occasional shitty players in multiplayer non-shocker'. The great majority of players are perfectly decent; the occasional retard is unavoidable in all online gaming. Save some points in your initial deployment to cope with potential rush tactics, or play with friends.

Not being funny, but it very much sounds like nitpicking for the sake of it. Fancy a moan about the free DLC while you're at it? ;)
  • Page

of 3 First / Last