Forza Horizon Page 32

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• happyhammer81 9 Nov 2012 13:52:42 23 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Dear me, this game is fucking fantastic. I've not been addicted to a driving game like this since the original GT on the Playstation.
    Agree 1000%. It's re-confirmed to me that this type of racing game is much more up my street than the "serious" driving games which end up feeling like a chore (for me, at least).

Haven't fast-travelled yet, just can't bring myself to do it and don't see the point...

XBL: happyhammer81

• shamblemonkee 9 Nov 2012 14:10:22 14,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unfortunately i've not felt the same :(

I enjoyed it initially but i actually do prefer a more serious style of racing, or if not a proper arcade mechanic.

I loved the festival theme, just driving aorund, the freeform street race challenges where you find the racers just out and about - n F40 duel in particular stands out in my memory.

however online especially i didn't find the racing satisfying and the games are fun but the collisions a bit tame.

Still it's an amazing framework to build on.
  • waggy79 9 Nov 2012 14:13:45 1,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    happyhammer81 wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Dear me, this game is fucking fantastic. I've not been addicted to a driving game like this since the original GT on the Playstation.
    Agree 1000%. It's re-confirmed to me that this type of racing game is much more up my street than the "serious" driving games which end up feeling like a chore (for me, at least).

Haven't fast-travelled yet, just can't bring myself to do it and don't see the point...
    yep I can see forza 4 being my last 'sim' type racer. It's good for some but I just don't enjoy them any more.
  • happyhammer81 9 Nov 2012 14:18:07 23 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:the games are fun but the collisions a bit tame.
    Now that I will agree with.

I've not ventured online yet so can only comment on single player but there's not much a deterrent when it comes to taking corners badly, smashing into opponents etc. That'd be one recommendation I'd make for the next in the series (which I sincerely hope there is).

• KD 9 Nov 2012 19:57:43 687 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I been playing horizon on a pad when mates are over and its been a good laugh, its taken over Blur which was a old favourite and all enjoy it.

Myself, I prefer to get the wheel out and play forza 4 doing circuit races online most the time when theres nobody around my place or online.

Happy with horizon tho and its been great fun and i'm looking forward to the rally expansion, but I do think the way playground games set the rivals mode up and not using clean laps with no rewind for the leaderboards is a bit shortsighted imo.
  • INSOMANiAC 10 Nov 2012 01:35:49 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://imageshack.us/f/831/crash2l.jpg/
    AI making a rare fuck up during a challenge race.

I had a funny AI bug on this race a couple of times where the other car would immediately steer into the bloke who lights the flare to start the race and get stuck. I tried to take a picture but he isnt there on the replays :(

why isnt the html working?

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 01:39:02 10-11-2012

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• waggy79 10 Nov 2012 06:18:19 1,037 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Similar thing happened to me, one on one and I picked an underpowered car. Knew I wasn't going to win but was enjoying the drive regardless, then the AI spun out just before the finish.
    I appreciate stuff like that, makes it feel less like you're competing against a robot.
  • secombe 10 Nov 2012 13:29:08 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seen quite a few crashes in single player races, and I love cruising around only to see a group of 4 or 5 cars screaming past in a race of their own. Unfortunately my final race (the head to head against Flynt) was a big let down, he totalled the FXX early on and must have got stuck, he had only completed 26% when I finished.
  • woundedk 10 Nov 2012 14:58:24 62 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    secombe wrote:
    Unfortunately my final race (the head to head against Flynt) was a big let down, he totalled the FXX early on and must have got stuck, he had only completed 26% when I finished.
    Well, the final race is a bit of an immersion breaker anyway. It appears that normally it's scripted so that Flynt zooms past you and has a good margin until the very end of the race. In my case, he quickly gathered a 10s+ lead that I was unable to catch though the race went very well on my part. About 10-15% before the end Flynt just let me catch him by squirming along the road. I passed him in a flash and never saw him again in my mirror.
  • Blaizefm 10 Nov 2012 18:36:23 232 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had one weird bug where the guy didn't get off the line. Just sat there whilst I spirited off into the distance.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Nov 2012 21:27:11 26,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just did an S-Class street race from the Observatory to the Dam.

That was 9 minutes of awesome.
  • secombe 10 Nov 2012 23:10:23 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My thoughts after 17 hours of driving, this will sound incredibly negative, but it's all said against a backdrop of loving the majority of it...

- Awful ending to the 'story', did they run out of time? So much build up and then absolutely nothing, very odd.
    - Inconsistent world...titanium shrubs, invisible walls (particularly driveways) plus lots of annoyances with the world in general, it's actually incredibly bland and restrictive when you look closely, they won't even let you drive into the multi-storey. Ultimately that will limit the longevity of it quite badly, in my opinion.
    - I know it has an arcade slant, but nothing takes you out of the moment more than a bunch of Lamborghini's racing on dirt tracks.
    - It badly needs more punishing crashes, a head-on at 200mph scrubs about 20mph from your speed, and wall-riding can be used as a genuine tactic. If nothing else it's killing the online side of things.
    - Too much too soon, particularly with VIP/pre-order incentives you have access to Hypercars etc within minutes, they could/should have expanded the single player game massively with little effort, and made progression through the classes far more prominent.
    - Inconsistent selection of cars, they had a 'no race car' rule but included the Zonda R, FXX etc which are not road legal, but stripped out whole layers of lower class cars (where are the Renault's, for example.

So in general, massive amounts of potential, a great first attempt but still lots to do to really take it to another level. TDU2 mixed with Horizon would be the perfect game, but as it is what one does brilliantly the other is awful at.
  • syeren 11 Nov 2012 04:11:11 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The online aspect of the game is really quite badly damaged by the lack of punishment for people who wall ride or use other cars as a buffer to get around corners.

It feels really quite bad when you're taking a corner how a race driver would, while a guy just drives into it at 200MPH and then rides off the wall coming out ahead of you.

I guess you can say "Play to win", but it feels wrong in a Forza game.
  • freedumb 11 Nov 2012 16:00:38 1,112 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    secombe wrote:

- I know it has an arcade slant, but nothing takes you out of the moment more than a bunch of Lamborghini's racing on dirt tracks.
    Thats been bugging me for a while as well, especially when I first saw a 599XX struggling with the revs honing it around on a dirt track. Its just not cricket.

The only explanation I can think of is that in the Colorado desert area there would be some "off the beaten path" style dirt tracks leading off into different areas, best suited for AWD cars but occasionally any car could drive down them?

/sound of straws slipping out of clutching hands

Edited by freedumb at 16:01:21 11-11-2012
  • motti82 12 Nov 2012 23:12:57 2,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    100% completed this game, enjoyable and rarely a grind, how it should be done for more games.
  • Tuffty 13 Nov 2012 13:33:52 1,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got this yesterday. Liking it so far, but I could do without the story or the characters. Although because of their ability to annoy me quickly, it wants to make me beat them in the races, so maybe the designers were successful to make me care after all? :D
  • Murbal 13 Nov 2012 13:39:12 22,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still very much a driving game to reignite my love of driving games. So much variety squeezed in.

(and I *still* haven't tried the MP!)

Edited by Murbal at 13:39:35 13-11-2012
  • happyhammer81 14 Nov 2012 09:55:46 23 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    100% completed this game, enjoyable and rarely a grind, how it should be done for more games.
    Same, 100% yesterday for the single-player. The only downside for me was the race with Flynt at the end, which I found was rubber-banded badly and a pretty unenjoyable race too. Doesn't take the gloss off though, brilliant game.

Need to get cracking on some MP now as I haven't touched it up to now.

• Tuffty 14 Nov 2012 10:05:36 1,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MP was pretty great from what I played last night. The game of King was hilarious.
  • secombe 14 Nov 2012 10:52:58 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    happyhammer81 wrote:
    Same, 100% yesterday for the single-player. The only downside for me was the race with Flynt at the end, which I found was rubber-banded badly and a pretty unenjoyable race too. Doesn't take the gloss off though, brilliant game.
    A guy on the Pistonheads forum did a few experiments with the final head to head, Flynt's time is indeed rubber-banded to death, even on the easier difficulty settings he will put in a time in the low 8 minutes if you're quick enough, there was nearly 90 seconds variation in his times on the same difficulty setting. It also increases the traffic in the latter stages if you're quick.

Same with some of the normal races he tried as well, the AI was lapping quicker on Easy than it was on Insane depending on how you drive.
  • happyhammer81 14 Nov 2012 12:22:15 23 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    secombe wrote:
    A guy on the Pistonheads forum did a few experiments with the final head to head, Flynt's time is indeed rubber-banded to death
    Well I knew something was up when after about 2 minutes he spun out badly enough to disappear off the map. Then all of a sudden he virtually appears in the rear-view - and it happened more than once. Was a chronic pain in the arse of a race.

• shamblemonkee 14 Nov 2012 12:38:52 14,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These sorts of games are always rubberbanded in an effort to keep the racing 'exciting' all it ends up doing really though is removing much of the thrill as youknow no matter how well you drive the AI can be made to drive faster than shoul dbe possible to maintian the illusion of close racing.
  • Murbal 14 Nov 2012 13:01:34 22,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Which is why the Rivals mode offers the best challenge.
  • Murbal 14 Nov 2012 13:22:19 22,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and the Ultima GTR is ace.
  • secombe 14 Nov 2012 13:49:00 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Which is why the Rivals mode offers the best challenge.
    Rivals will be pretty much the entire game for me now I've finished the story as I love a bit of hot-lappery. I particularly like it in Horizon because of the lack of tuning, it puts me on a level playing field (I can't/don't tune IN FM4).

Unfortunately they made a critical error in not banning Rewinds in Rivals, as far as I'm aware you can use unlimited rewinds with no penalty, and it doesn't even flag it up like it does in FM4 (by way of a dirty lap)
  • shamblemonkee 14 Nov 2012 14:37:07 14,491 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    indeed, and the same goes for wall riding. a shame.
  • Fourwisemen 14 Nov 2012 20:53:04 176 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    secombe wrote:
    Murbal wrote:

Rivals will be pretty much the entire game for me now I've finished the story as I love a bit of hot-lappery. I particularly like it in Horizon because of the lack of tuning, it puts me on a level playing field (I can't/don't tune IN FM4).
    This...
  • Fourwisemen 18 Nov 2012 12:59:57 176 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was messing about with difficulty settings last night and upped the AI to hard (must have been being a fanny and on medium before that) and the AI got vicious. Changed the racing from fun but non too stressful to carnage and all the better for it.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 13:08:09
    This game is excellent IMO. Dusted off my 360 to play this and halo. Like having a new console tbh.
  • secombe 18 Nov 2012 21:35:14 1,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weirdly this has completely died off for me now, no interest at all now I've finished the story and MP is so, so bad.

I'd trade it in, but I have a Season Pass (half price due to Game messing up, thankfully), the Rally Pack is going to have to be pretty special to get me back into it.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last