Let's privatise the police! Page 28

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 October 2012 09:16:38
    Sure. This sounds like they're trying to replicate what they were considering (or did?) for search and rescue. It makes sense for cost and availability of the aircraft but not much else in this case.

Assuming this could mean they're doing it to privatise it is a massive leap.
  • localnotail 14 Nov 2012 13:56:39 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Police & Crime Commissioner elections tomorrow.

Does anyone care? I've heard virtually nothing since my poll card arrived last month.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• kickerconspiracy 14 Nov 2012 14:04:00 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We've had nothing through the door on any of the candidates either.

Odd really. Politicians from various parties have been moaning about a lack of engagement and low voter turn out for years, but have done nothing to promote their respective candidates for this vote.
  • MetalDog 14 Nov 2012 14:06:49 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do care, but more in a 'these are a really bad idea' way.
    I'm also quite annoyed that the government is on record as saying that 'any' turn out will make it legitimate - despite their viewpoint that strike ballots aren't unless they get over 50%, which is a bigger mandate than any of our current cockwads have.

I expect lots of stories in the not too distant future of policing being fucked with to pander to the PCCs voters, rather than for the good of the whole community.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Dougs 14 Nov 2012 14:08:05 64,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did care. I've just read the manifestos of those in my area. I don't any more, they all seem utterly unsuitable for the job. The Tory will get it anyway. Christ.
  • SClaw 14 Nov 2012 14:08:17 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm psyched! Can't wait to... not vote and ignore this bullshit.

Gee what qualified professionals do I have in my area*? Oh... hardcore labour and hardcore tory members. Yeah, I really want to give those ass clowns more power than they already have.

*FFS they are both on twitter like 24/7. Yeah... you totally deserve this job you wasters.
  • MetalDog 14 Nov 2012 14:13:21 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If everyone told their MP what a stupid bad idea they thought it was, things might get done? They want your vote too - enough people raising a fuss and they might act.

• Dougs 14 Nov 2012 14:15:05 64,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:

I expect lots of stories in the not too distant future of policing being fucked with to pander to the PCCs voters, rather than for the good of the whole community.
    Yeah, this too. I don't like the idea full stop, but if we're going to have an elected, politicised PCC, I at least thought they might be qualified. Can't say I'm convinced those in my area are.
  • kickerconspiracy 14 Nov 2012 14:15:53 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's actually quite scary when you look at the list of candidates in our area as only one of them has any experience of being in a command role within the police.

How exactly were police commissioners appointed in the past? Did they know a guy, that knew a guy that was a former room mate of a retired WPC?
  • ScoutTech 14 Nov 2012 14:16:44 2,420 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just heard from someone that the way to oppose this is to phone the Home Office and lodge an official complaint. They take your name and address and you are done. This isn't been widely announced though or everyone would do it!
  • MetalDog 14 Nov 2012 14:18:25 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    Just heard from someone that the way to oppose this is to phone the Home Office and lodge an official complaint. They take your name and address and you are done. This isn't been widely announced though or everyone would do it!
    I'll ask about this tonight unless someone else is free-er than I am to tweet at police officers right now?

• SClaw 14 Nov 2012 14:41:48 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    If everyone told their MP what a stupid bad idea they thought it was, things might get done? They want your vote too - enough people raising a fuss and they might act.
    It's a nice idea but our MP is a tosser. He's the one who went to a Nazi stag party (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-16130936). Also he looks like he's about twelve.

Edited by SClaw at 14:42:01 14-11-2012
  • localnotail 14 Nov 2012 14:50:40 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We've got Bishop Derek Webley in Brum. He's got a good record of working with the police, and he's been able to get rival Birmingham gangs together. Not sure how the rest of the West Midlands would value him though.

Still not confident that they will have any power at all though. Seems like an exercise in pretending to listen to the community.

Edited by localnotail at 14:51:59 14-11-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• whatfruit 14 Nov 2012 15:07:07 1,080 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Apprently our leading candidate doesn't even live in Hampshire, he lives in West Sussex but rents a flat in Winchester allowing him to stand.
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 13:33:50 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If these guys stand at the next general election, I reckon I might toss them my vote. God knows I can't think of anyone else I really want to endorse right now.

• ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 13:55:14 76,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm working on these elections (again!) and the turnout has been atrocious. We opened the station at 7am, and as of right now, the total number of people who have voted here is... 18. If this rate holds the turnout for this station will be less than 10%.
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 14:01:32 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Absolutely no surprise, surely?
    The only people who really, really want PCCs are some of the PCC candidates (not all!), private security firms and some of the condems.

There's no way these people will have a legitimate mandate from the people they're supposed to serve without fear or favour, no matter what bullshit the government comes out with.

• SClaw 15 Nov 2012 14:37:27 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm working on these elections (again!) and the turnout has been atrocious. We opened the station at 7am, and as of right now, the total number of people who have voted here is... 18. If this rate holds the turnout for this station will be less than 10%.
    That's a perfectly valid slice of the population! According to the gov...

It's stupid. If you get less than 50% turnout whatever the vote was for should be automatically cancelled, as obviously no one gives a shit about it.
  • jellyhead 15 Nov 2012 15:49:18 24,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MetalDog Yup, three of the four candidates in my area say that privitization is an inescapable thing so we may as well go for it. Independent, Tory and LAbour all seem wishy-washy about it with the Tory obviously being the most keen.

The LibDem candidate says he's not at all keen so he'll get my vote.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Psychotext 15 Nov 2012 15:55:46 52,802 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My local labour candidate is the only one who has said that he'll flat out not privatise anything and will also look at contracts where things have already been privatised.

I'll be voting later.
  • SClaw 15 Nov 2012 15:58:42 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally got one flyer through the door last night for the Tory. He wants more PSOs. Fuck you, guy. We don't need no more fake coppers.

I find it a bit odd that's the only thing I've had at all... I mean I can see the polling station from my window. You'd have thought they'd have put a bit more effort in.
  • MetalDog 15 Nov 2012 16:02:27 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If they can get their favoured pro-privatisation candidates in no matter how small the turnout - why would they put more effort into raising the profile of the vote?

• glaeken 15 Nov 2012 16:02:54 10,978 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have seen nothing on this in my area. No idea who is standing or what they might be standing on. I do think this might just set a record for low voter turn out. I don't know of anyone who seems even remotely interested in it.
  • DaisyD 15 Nov 2012 21:00:18 11,818 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We also have had nothing about this in my area. I had to look up my candidates on the BBC! We still voted though. We were the 16th & 17th people to do so at 13.45 today. It's an utter disgrace! The government will say it was democratic though.
  • Psychotext 15 Nov 2012 21:18:22 52,802 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oops. Didn't realise I had to pick a second choice. As it goes I had one, but I could see people getting confused.

Edit - Apparently you could choose only to mark one but it said nothing about that on the form. Stupid.

Edited by Psychotext at 21:20:30 15-11-2012
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 21:20:45 76,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    13% turnout in my station. Doubt there'll be many people turn up now.
  • X201 15 Nov 2012 21:34:12 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    That's a perfectly valid slice of the population! According to the gov...

It's stupid. If you get less than 50% turnout whatever the vote was for should be automatically cancelled, as obviously no one gives a shit about it.
    Yesterday I watched my TV in disbelief as a Lib-Dem candidate said that because the area for the police elections was larger, a 15% turnout would mean that more people would have voted than in the local election for his area. :eek:
  • Chopsen 15 Nov 2012 21:49:21 15,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeaaaah...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19801666
  • Page

of 30 First / Last