Let's privatise the police! Page 2

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• onestepfromlost 3 Mar 2012 13:38:50 2,070 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    They'll use the same argument they used for privatising water, power, communications and rail services. 'Competition will control prices'.

Thatcher is well and truly back, in spirit if not in body.
    They will use the same arguement they always do, were the governtment and we will do what we damn well please and we couldnt give a fuck what you the public think
  • Bremenacht 3 Mar 2012 13:57:30 18,275 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I'd hate to think what the body-pumping, ex-bouncer well'ard dick-heads that'll get employed to do this will be like. Tazers galore.
    I imagine something similar to the security guards at the US universities, yeah.
    Excellent case in point - pepper-spraying thugs in uniform.

Also, this guy - Joe Arpaio - America's 'toughest Sheriff'. Nasty AND crazy (AND the Law, personified, for many people).
  • Ged42 3 Mar 2012 14:27:42 7,732 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can see some good business opportunities here, like being payed by the wealthy to ignore the drugs and dead hookers.

Also you could bust drug gangs and then sell all the confiscated drugs and guns. Then shops could pay to make sure their shops are more heavily protected than their rivals.

Not that this probably doesn't happen with the existing police force, but I can imagine it being alot more widespread with a private one.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2012 14:32:05
    Ged42 wrote:
    I can see some good business opportunities here, like being payed by the wealthy to ignore the drugs and dead hookers.

Also you could bust drug gangs and then sell all the confiscated drugs and guns. Then shops could pay to make sure their shops are more heavily protected than their rivals.

Not that this probably doesn't happen with the existing police force, but I can imagine it being alot more widespread with a private one.
    I can't see why it should be any more prevalent than in the existing police force. Working in the public sector doesn't suddenly imbue people with a higher sense of morals.
  • disusedgenius 3 Mar 2012 15:41:23 5,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lack of accountability and drive for profits, however, can lower them.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2012 15:42:41
    Instead of a lack of accountability and drive to save money?
  • disusedgenius 3 Mar 2012 15:47:08 5,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eh?
  • Deleted user 3 March 2012 15:47:31
    Hmm, this is rather crazy.

Not so much a Government we have as an asset-stripping operation.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Mar 2012 16:13:06 19,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15561649.jpg

She dives for cheese pasties

• RyanDS 3 Mar 2012 16:20:52 9,377 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:

paid not payed

alot is not a word. It is two words.
  • Khanivor 3 Mar 2012 16:41:10 40,772 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can someone confirm this is a government initiative or if it's a police force using existing rules to outsource their work? If its the former then how the hell did the relevant bill slip through without anyone noticing?
  • Bremenacht 3 Mar 2012 18:23:50 18,275 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apparently, it's back office staff. So, not so bad. No private patrols.
  • jonsaan 3 Mar 2012 18:36:54 25,352 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does this mean I can pay lots of money for a policewoman with fluffy handcuffs?

FCUTA!

• Genji 4 Mar 2012 04:20:08 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I'm pretty sure some states in Australia have a privatised police force. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue there.
    No, they don't. There are private security firms, but they are in the minority compared with the public-funded police force.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 04:23:25
    G4Slol

Privatise the health service whilst they're at it.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 04:24:17
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Apparently, it's back office staff. So, not so bad. No private patrols.
    So 2/3 of the police staff.
  • Khanivor 4 Mar 2012 04:44:46 40,772 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From a wee bit of teh googling it appears that it was Labour who introduced and passed the bill, the Police Reform Act of 2002, which put the framework for this to happen into place. Makes their criticism of the move by the constabularies ring exceedingly hollow. The cynic in me now wonders who appointed the heads of the two police forces making the news.

Shame no one in the Birmingham media reads their police's newsletter as they could have got a scoop.

/despairs
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 04:53:11
    It just won't happen. The majority are naive and ignorant, but they're certainly not that stupid.
  • Khanivor 4 Mar 2012 05:07:39 40,772 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno, folks seem to be shocked that this could happen even though it's been legal for an entire decade. And they believe it's the evil Tories wot dun it even though the money from contracting out won't show up on the books till after the forces have fired enough coppers to make up the budgetary shortfall from the cuts, (if the media is to be believed).
  • Khanivor 4 Mar 2012 05:10:46 40,772 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck's sake, they've only been at it since 2009 no wonder it's such hot news.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 05:20:52
    The police system works and I think most would agree, it has it issues, which are mainly lack of power, but that's a fine line. The UK is blessed with freedom that other countries could only dream of but with that the nation can get a little complacent.

Budgets have been completely strangled of late so the forces have there hands tied at present, how would privatising give these guys money to buy the equipment (which is far from cheap) they need? Or run their ships? It's a mess of paper work and legislation.

It's very short sighted to blame current government when they're still dealing with the previous a gender, one that from what I've seen is a little too generous too the lazy.
  • Megapocalypse 10 May 2012 21:28:01 5,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was a nice day. 33,000 of us matching on our day off against this government; quiet and peacefully. Then many many many pints afterwards.
  • MetalDog 10 May 2012 21:49:22 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Next time you kettle, remember that most of us are just out for a walk, a chant and a pint too :)

Good luck vs the government, sincerely. I can't help but feel that they will regret hacking the police force about when they piss the rest of the population off enough to make them all uncivil.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Megapocalypse 10 May 2012 21:56:52 5,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know you say it 'tongue in cheek' (or at least I hope you do) but I and 99% of us have never kettled anyone. I have always supported people's right to protest.

Unfortunately we all know this will change nothing.
  • MetalDog 10 May 2012 22:12:59 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was imagining you sitting on your battenburg police throne giving the order personally; don't spoil the image!

That is the trouble with protest marches, yeah. The only time the government seems to really care is when people actively riot and all by the densest of baby Anarchists would prefer things didn't get to that point.

I heard an MP on the radio a while back expressing her opinion on the masses in the context of the finacial crisis, by actually saying something along the lines of 'parents don't tell their children everything, they wouldn't understand and it's not their concern'. Wish I could remember her name.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• PazJohnMitch 10 May 2012 22:15:27 8,052 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Privatised Police = Mafia

Just my opinion on the idea.
  • MightyMouse 10 May 2012 23:45:47 1,133 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On 'This Week' they were saying that there's a bill coming through to change police officers into a graduate profession. Is this true?
  • superdelphinus 10 May 2012 23:47:56 8,065 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We have private sector prisons and prison officers so why not police? Is there actualyl any of the public sector which couldn't be run by the private sector? These aren't my views but it's an interesting discussion.

Edited by superdelphinus at 23:54:48 10-05-2012
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 23:52:04
    The private sector isn't all that, really. It doesn't necessarily reduce waste on the kinds of scales required by national services. Anything without true competition is a hugely debatable candidate for privatisation as well imo (see water & train companies, for example).
  • Page

of 30 First / Last