Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward Page 4

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 31 Oct 2012 18:41:33 24,324 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to import too. English voice dub is meant to be great and I'd rather play it with that. Anyone want my £22.50 vita preorder before I cancel?

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• JayG 31 Oct 2012 18:49:46 842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Andy, demo should be there, just use search.
  • andywilkie35 31 Oct 2012 19:14:41 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JayG

Good work dude, downloading now!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• santashi 1 Nov 2012 07:10:11 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had a quick go on the story part of the demo but quit the escape part after it said it was locked in easy. I don't want to spoil the puzzles for myself. :)

So clear and fluid on the Vita screen!

By the way, Rising Star did say that they hoped to put demos up on both the PSN and the 3DS store before release so there should be the opportunity to compare and contrast the two versions for yourself. Well, if you own both systems, anyway. ;)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Murbal 1 Nov 2012 09:06:58 22,218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So are you guys importing from VG+? I'm coming round to the idea of importing - after all, it's so massively text focused the English VO will probably aid in remembering characters and following the story.
  • santashi 1 Nov 2012 09:17:03 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Murbal Yep, here's the link.

I have a feeling one of the reviews said that they thought that the English cast did a better job of conveying the emotions, but that could be because they were English speaking themselves. ;) Regardless, I like what I've heard of the dub so far.

• Zizoo 1 Nov 2012 09:21:10 8,374 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How big is the demo? I want to download it, but the only WiFi available to me at the moment is at work... :|
  • santashi 1 Nov 2012 09:26:39 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZizouFC 129MB.

I swear it was 171MB last night, since I actually had to delete some videos to make room for it! I need to reorganise my files a little, I think...

Edited by santashi at 09:29:10 01-11-2012

• Zizoo 1 Nov 2012 09:34:21 8,374 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @santashi

Awesome. Thanks!
  • santashi 1 Nov 2012 09:59:50 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I forgot to mention this, but I actually had a line of Japanese text pop up in the demo in the middle of the dialogue.

• Flying_Pig 1 Nov 2012 10:12:06 10,993 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    So are you guys importing from VG+? I'm coming round to the idea of importing - after all, it's so massively text focused the English VO will probably aid in remembering characters and following the story.
    I almost certainly will be. Downloaded the demo (but playing LBP), so assuming the demo ticks my box (so to speak) then I'll be buying from VG+
  • santashi 1 Nov 2012 10:48:45 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm getting forgetful...

Meant to say that there's a bug in the US 3DS version where if you save in a certain place it completely corrupts your save file. Rising Star Games say that they're aware of the problem and intend to release an un-buggy version in Europe. Not sure if this will delay its anticipated November release, at least on the 3DS.

• Kangoo 1 Nov 2012 16:16:49 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After having no preconceptions of this, just finished the demo and loved it. Even liked the Japanese voices, will definitely stick with my Amazon pre-order and avoid importing.
    Would advise anyone to do the novel part first as it will make a lot more sense.
    Really looking forward to another game for a machine that has no games apparently.

PSN: Adwab2

• Kay 1 Nov 2012 16:32:12 17,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Depends on the quality of the VO, it could make or break such a text/plot-heavy game like this.

I want to try the 3DS demo first before committing though, it'll feel more at home on that console imo.
  • santashi 4 Nov 2012 14:36:21 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is so much fun. I'm really happy they stuck with a lot of sound effects from the first game.

Why nobody has commented on Alice's attire yet is a mystery, though.

• andywilkie35 4 Nov 2012 14:49:02 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds ace. So hopeful it'll arrive tomorrow!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Murbal 5 Nov 2012 10:56:44 22,218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played the demo. Loved it.

I do think I'll have to play on Hard as I played the demo on Easy and there were too many clues for my liking.
  • dominalien 5 Nov 2012 11:04:41 6,860 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, the difference between hard and easy is the number of clues? That's good, I thought it was very in my face with the telling me what to do.

I might pick it up. Not really my cup of tea, but I tend to enjoy these types of oddball experiences.

PSN: DonOsito

• Kay 5 Nov 2012 11:27:40 17,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a quick stab at the demo over the weekend, just to see what it was like on the Vita. Avoided the puzzle and most of the story part as I'd rather not spoil it.

I then watched this video of the US demo - the VO for the rabbit/Zero made my mind up, that's the one to go for. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIYMsTQL_s
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Nov 2012 11:57:39 4,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:

I want to try the 3DS demo first before committing though, it'll feel more at home on that console imo.
    The whole bug business in the US version aside, I would definitely recommend the 3DS version over the Vita version, because of three reasons

1) Notes are easier to take and reference while solving puzzles and this is really helpful

2) The 3D helps you distinguish where to move, where things are in the puzzles environments more easily, while sometimes, not often, but sometimes on the Vita they blend into the environment

3) The touch controls are better and more responsive on the 3DS

Whether the game looks nicer is down to whether you like the 3D or the Vita's amazing screen better, I think.

This is a compilation of what people have said, plus hands time with the Vita version after I won the 3DS version.

If anyone is still debating on which one, I can answer other questions to help you make the choice. Don't miss this game, its truly a worthy followup to 999 and a really smart example of how to do a modern adventure game. I kind of wish some PC developers would play it and get inspired.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 12:00:30 05-11-2012
  • Murbal 5 Nov 2012 12:01:13 22,218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought the Vita's note taking and referencing was really well implemented actually. No issues with responsiveness either. I can imagine though that the second screen just makes things a bit quicker to access.

Looks great on the Vita screen.
  • dominalien 5 Nov 2012 12:07:37 6,860 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, yes, the controls on the Vita, especially the panning, are somewhat bad. Clearly designed with the 3DS in mind.

PSN: DonOsito

• Murbal 5 Nov 2012 12:21:53 22,218 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really? Took a while to familiarise myself with them, but once I got the hang of swiping the camera I had no issues at all. Well, except for not being able to tap on the safe at one point as I kept getting the menu popping up...
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Nov 2012 12:39:55 4,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it goes to the point of being a problem, Murbal. I'm just noting its better on the 3DS. There are also some touch-based logic puzzle contraptions that look like they were designed with a stylus in mind. Also the note-taking with two screens, allows you have to in-game hints and the notes displaying at the same time (even overlaid over the puzzle if you choose) on the 3DS -- until you've played the entire game it probably isn't really clear why that's so helpful but it is.

Overall, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with either version and I guess you should take into account the US version's bug too.
  • santashi 5 Nov 2012 12:41:19 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm about 9 or 10 hours in and I haven't had any trouble with the Vita controls at all, personally. You can always use the button controls if touch screen isn't your thing.

Incidentally, you get a smaller reward for doing the puzzles in Easy mode, or so the game tells me. I've managed on Hard so far. :)

• JinTypeNoir 5 Nov 2012 12:57:18 4,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The idea for easy and hard mode rewards is that there are silver and gold files with extra stuff to read and see about the game, kind of like a peak about the scenes or did you know trivia section or a developer comment all combined in one. You can only get silver files on Easy, but on Hard you can get Gold files with even more info.

BTW, these unlock in the menu and you can read them at any time. I recommend that you read them right away, but some people have a problem with how they give hints to the latter plot developments, thinking of them as spoilers. _I_ have a problem with any kind of thought that thinks the game can spoil itself, as that kind defeat the meaning of the word.

The reason I encourage you to read them right away is because the development team are not idiots and did not intentionally give you a chance to know about events and revelations a bit before they happen because they are sadists (though whoever that one puzzle -- you will know it when you come to it -- certainly is). There is a very good plot-based reason why this is okay and actually makes the revelations all the sweeter when you finally understand them. That's why I encourage players not to be a "bu-bu-but spoooilers!!" ninny and read the damn things straightaway.
  • santashi 5 Nov 2012 13:00:14 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha, I'd actually avoided mentioning the files in case anyone saw that as some kind of spoiler for the game system. :lol:

• Zizoo 5 Nov 2012 13:11:50 8,374 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did anybody have issues with the demo? I have downloaded it twice now and it restarts my Vita every time I start it. :(
  • santashi 5 Nov 2012 13:18:01 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nope, sorry.

I have had one glitch in the actual game where the next line of text wouldn't appear and I was stuck, unable to do anything. I had to quit and reload and when I got to that point again the text appeared as it was supposed to and let me advance.

• Kay 5 Nov 2012 14:01:35 17,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Again, not played the demo fully, but I can imagine a stylus being preferable when you need to pick out tiny items on the screen.

There's no voice-acting at all in the 3DS version though, right?
  • Page

of 16 First / Last