Resistance Burning Skies Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Help_me 3 Jun 2012 09:03:46 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GamesConnoisseur wrote:
    US PSN got their pricing spot on which put just bit over 20 but a far better value.
    Blimey! Worth setting up a US account and using that instead!
  • MoGamer2006 3 Jun 2012 18:37:43 975 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just played the demo and... ugh!

With its boxy scenery/furniture and smeared, low-res textures, graphically this is more reminiscent of a good Wii game than a 'PS3 in your pocket'. Voice acting is mediocre, sound effects bearable and music forgettable.

Gameplay is similarly 'meh' - controls are okay, but the rest of it is by-the-numbers at best.

The dreary mini-boss battle at the end is rubbish - after all the "It's heading your way!" build-up all you get is a weedy looking thing carrying a rocket launcher that's both easy and boring to beat (clue: strafe around it in a circle firing constantly = win). Honestly, I almost laughed when it first appeared - is that it? I thought.

Really unimpressive. Will be giving this a miss, even at budget price.

Edited by MoGamer2006 at 18:38:40 03-06-2012
  • Daeltaja 3 Jun 2012 21:41:39 1,087 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    Just played the demo and... ugh!

With its boxy scenery/furniture and smeared, low-res textures, graphically this is more reminiscent of a good Wii game than a 'PS3 in your pocket'. Voice acting is mediocre, sound effects bearable and music forgettable.

Gameplay is similarly 'meh' - controls are okay, but the rest of it is by-the-numbers at best.

The dreary mini-boss battle at the end is rubbish - after all the "It's heading your way!" build-up all you get is a weedy looking thing carrying a rocket launcher that's both easy and boring to beat (clue: strafe around it in a circle firing constantly = win). Honestly, I almost laughed when it first appeared - is that it? I thought.

Really unimpressive. Will be giving this a miss, even at budget price.
    Heh, that's the same impressions I got from Resistance 1&2.
  • jonsaan 3 Jun 2012 23:01:18 25,352 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All the Resistance games have been servicable but a little ho hum. The PSP offering was really over rated IMO. I am surprised that people expected great things of this. It was never going to be more than acceptable. It's still the best FPS on Vita. for now at least.

FCUTA!

• uk-kob 4 Jun 2012 09:32:16 128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    All the Resistance games have been servicable but a little ho hum. The PSP offering was really over rated IMO. I am surprised that people expected great things of this. It was never going to be more than acceptable. It's still the best FPS on Vita. for now at least.
    Realy? I thought Resistance 3 single player campaign was excellent! especially when played on the hardest difficulty, where you had to use every weapon in your arsenal, and think about your tactics, to take down the enemy. shame this game doesn't reach those standards.

Edited by uk-kob at 09:38:17 04-06-2012

Edited by uk-kob at 09:43:24 04-06-2012
  • harriselhoff 5 Jun 2012 07:53:47 166 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know if I'm just easily pleased, but I'm really enjoying this. It controls really well, and I don't think the graphics are as bad as some are making out. The cherry on the cake for me was when I tethered my Vita to my iPhone and found that I can play online at work, and I didn't even experience any lag. Like I said, maybe I'm easily pleased, but to be able to play an online twin-sticked fps on my break was pretty cool.

Edit due to stupid phone.

Edited by harriselhoff at 07:54:47 05-06-2012
  • Help_me 5 Jun 2012 12:00:43 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @harriselhoff Ooh you may have just sold this to me. What's it like trying to get a game going? Plenty of people online?
  • harriselhoff 5 Jun 2012 12:58:49 166 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Help_me I've had no problems finding any games, although I have to say I've only played it a few times. I was really impressed, I mainly kept to 4 player games as I wasn't sure I'd be able to play over 3G, but then I got a bit cocky and tried a couple of 8 player games and they were fine too. I honestly couldn't believe it actually worked to be honest, I've been going on at the wife about how cool it is, but for some reason she doesn't seem too excited about it :)
  • Help_me 5 Jun 2012 13:30:47 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @harriselhoff Sounds familier. Keep going on to my missus about how good the vita is and the response i get is meh! Think women think gaming devices now are like they were ten years ago. Think i'm going to get this now. Cheers.
  • harriselhoff 5 Jun 2012 13:59:11 166 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Help_me No problem. It also doesn't use too much data by the way, just in case you've a limit. I've just done a quick test, and one 4 player match sent 1.4 mb and received 1.9 mb.
  • Help_me 5 Jun 2012 21:29:55 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beercr8te You saying you've struggled to get matches?
  • Help_me 6 Jun 2012 09:04:07 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beercr8te Ok, cheers for the reply. Might get it anyway. The more people with it the more likely you'll get a match!
  • Kangoo 6 Jun 2012 09:18:23 1,016 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished the SP last night, took about 3 days on and off. Agree that it sounds terrible, the graphics are passable, but it does control well, is a proper fps on a handheld and I did enjoy it. Anyone who has enjoyed the Resistance games should get something out of it as long as they aren't expecting anything on the level of Resistance 3.
    Didn't have any problems connecting to a MP game for both small and large groups nd it was lag free.
    Also, for any trophy hunters, this is a ridiculously easy platinum, picked up all of the trophies in one playthrough bar the one for playing an online game.

PSN: Adwab2

• chrisno21 7 Jun 2012 10:09:11 1,511 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got to say I'm enjoying it too, only tried the SP so far and am nearing the end of chapter 2 so not a huge way in. The weapons are great and varied, and different enough to keep you swapping them - mainly for fun so far but some enemies are already going down quicker to specific weapons already.

Visually it's okay, better than PSP but not even close to Uncharted GA. Story is resistance fodder that seems as good as the first game - i.e. it's there but unimportant.

I have Unit13 but if the bitesize missions diodn't work for you then this controls just as well, infact it controls fantastically, responsive, accurate and its what I hoped it'd be like.

I can understand the reviews around 5 - it's by the numbers in almost all regards, but for me I've not played an FPS on handheld that actually worked until now.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• RyanDS 8 Jun 2012 12:11:32 9,388 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday from HMV for 37. Figure as CEX will give me 30 cash trade in anyway I may as well.

To be honestly I am pleasantly surprised. Sure, it is not brilliant, but so far it's a fairly solid, okay looking shooter. I really like the touchscreen stuff as well. (Well the front, loading crossbows, bullseying enemies etc is great fun, the rear touchscreen to run is shit though.)

I can see 6/10 for this, maybe 7/10 if it improves later. 2/10 though? That is just trolling.
  • Anthony_UK 10 Jun 2012 00:03:20 2,499 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Bought this today and while it isn't blow your socks off amazing, it is solid and enjoyable. I've never played any other resistance game before which probably helps, so I'm loving all the weapons and optional available so far.

For now it serves it's purpose as a portable FPS on vita, but it isn't going to sell the console to the average gamer, especially the online element which on first impressions is laggy and unreliable.

6/10 so far, but the £40 price point is beyond silly.
  • johnson81 10 Jun 2012 00:08:48 377 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this for 30 from Zavvi, finished it last night on hard and I actually enjoyed the game the further in I got. It's not the best game ever but I'm started it immediately on Superhuman difficulty after completing. Multi is basic at best but fun for quick blasts.
  • Ror1984 10 Jun 2012 00:39:46 3,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ryandsimmons Just as an FYI, you can use down on the d-pad to run, which also allows you to keep your thumb on the left stick. It's much more usable.

I'm on the last mission right now and the graphics actually seem to have stepped up a little (not that I felt it looked terrible to begin with; in fact I think it looks quite nice in places), and there was even a small event part-way through the level that managed to surprise me!

I'm really enjoying popping noggins with the Six-Eye too - I had my reservations about the sticks not having enough travel after playing through Uncharted GA and needing the gyro aiming, but the right stick aiming in this really is very good.

I picked this up essentially for a tenner and expected to be massively underwhelmed. Instead I've been pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Ror1984 at 00:41:24 10-06-2012

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• uk-kob 10 Jun 2012 14:24:40 128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    @ryandsimmons Just as an FYI, you can use down on the d-pad to run, which also allows you to keep your thumb on the left stick. It's much more usable.

I'm on the last mission right now and the graphics actually seem to have stepped up a little (not that I felt it looked terrible to begin with; in fact I think it looks quite nice in places), and there was even a small event part-way through the level that managed to surprise me!

I'm really enjoying popping noggins with the Six-Eye too - I had my reservations about the sticks not having enough travel after playing through Uncharted GA and needing the gyro aiming, but the right stick aiming in this really is very good.

I picked this up essentially for a tenner and expected to be massively underwhelmed. Instead I've been pleasantly surprised.
    i think im going to pick this up tomorrow, reluctant to spend 40 on it, but i have some a couple of games to trade in to cover it,and by the sounds of things, i should have the platinum trophy by Friday.
    so i can then trade it in for gravity rush, unless i like the multi player then i might keep it for a bit.
  • Ror1984 10 Jun 2012 14:53:04 3,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @uk-kob I wouldn't have dropped 40 on it, but I had a 30 giftcard. Personally, I don't think handheld games should be more than 25-30 (though I do think some are worth the 30 - Uncharted GA, Ocarina 3D, Tales of the Abyss and Resi Revelations were for me), but that's a whole other discussion!

Resistance is well worth a try as long as you aren't expecting a full-on PS3 experience - I do wonder if that's where some of the negativity comes from, but I never expected the Vita to actually be a PS3 in my pocket, much like the PSP wasn't really a PS2 in your pocket. For a handheld FPS, I think it's actually pretty damn good. I finished it last night and got the platinum, and enjoyed the SP pretty much all the way through. I have only played about 3 matches in MP and it felt quite basic, but then I'm not much of a competitive online MP person, so YMMV.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• chrisno21 10 Jun 2012 19:57:42 1,511 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got the Plat too, very easy as long as you can complete the SP and go online for a single game.

The online is actually pretty smooth. Only had an hour or so tdm'ing but it's smooth and a strange thing on a handheld to actually play a responsive twin-stick fps online. I genuinely enjoyed it and will be having a fair go over the next week to see how I get on with it.

The SP was also pretty good, it wasn't big, didn't have huge set pieces and wasn't anything more than a kill them, move on, now kill them and hurry on setup.

7 for me, MP has added a point to it.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• KayJay 11 Jun 2012 08:15:56 5,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I polished this off last night.
    Really great fun and it perplexes me some of the lower scores this has been getting.
    As a couple of others have said it's "Solid" perhaps dated but Solid.
    The have nailed the controls, Touchscreen stuff is decent and not OTT.

The worst thing about it though is the Male lead Voice Acting. Its horrific and so low budget. It really takes you out of the situation in it's blandness. The Female lead however pulls you back in most of the time.

I don't often get to the end of game let alone the Rolling Credits. Yes, I know its not a hugely long game, but this grabbed my attention and sucked me in.

On line Multiplayer is a little unbalanced and it just seems a little unfair at the moment with me being a lower rank.
    There are level 40's running around with a full powered Mule just demolishing the rest of us. Not so much fun. But the ranking/XP/Unlock system seem like a good one. and I think once you rank up past perhaps level 15 the game should come to you and allow you to start pushing up the leader-boards.

Excellent game. 7/10 (that's an easy 7 pushing an 8)

Edited by KayJay at 08:16:42 11-06-2012
  • Help_me 11 Jun 2012 08:19:11 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad you're enjoying it. Going to order this today - and hope I don't get my a** handed to me in mp.
  • KayJay 11 Jun 2012 09:00:34 5,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think initially you may find MP a little difficult to get stuck into, but as I said when you start ranking up and spending your XP on upgrading your guns it will become easier.
    I think Patience will be needed.
  • Help_me 11 Jun 2012 09:32:47 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same with all FPS's really. I've often thought this to be quite odd as when you are new it makes it very difficult. You should start with all weapons and lose them as you get better!
  • KayJay 11 Jun 2012 10:21:42 5,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Help_me Now that makes crazy sense. :)
  • Help_me 11 Jun 2012 10:25:06 942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I know it'll never work. People would stop playing. However, imagine being level 50 odd wandering around with a handgun trying to shoot level 1 snipers from a mile away - now that's true skill!

Edited by Help_me at 10:25:57 11-06-2012
  • Edtuckerartist 7 Jul 2012 14:55:47 160 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Help!

I am stuck on the big boss thingy (the one spewing) I'm out of ammo and if I try and reach the ammo crates I die.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last