Becoming a father. Page 5

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Blaketown 14 Feb 2012 16:59:07 4,915 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Spit back. It's the last thing they'll expect.
    "Woo hoo! Spitting game!"

You have just ensured at least another week of spitting at school.

Go back 5 parenting spaces.

Edited by Blaketown at 17:00:01 14-02-2012

Brap, brap, old chap.

• JBlokeUK 14 Feb 2012 21:58:18 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The thing I know is going to happen with me and the wife is that once we get home, we'll look at each other with that 'what do we do now' look.

Also we've been told a baby's first dump is black!

I like it when he's angry.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Feb 2012 22:10:26 39,406 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep. Then it goes green. Then yellow. Then black again. Then bright fuckin' orange with yellow spots...

OK, maybe not the last one.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• meat_potatoe 14 Feb 2012 22:13:31 85 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That first dump is not pretty! I found it worse when the remains of the cord fell off...

/dry heaves

Just found out I'm going to be a dad again, go me!
  • JBlokeUK 14 Feb 2012 22:15:02 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Yep. Then it goes green. Then yellow. Then black again. Then bright fuckin' orange with yellow spots...

OK, maybe not the last one.
    All the colours of the rainbow by the sounds of it!

Congrats meat_potatoe! :)

• Zackv4861 14 Feb 2012 22:21:03 1,133 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'll love it i'm sure. They give life real meaning but i promise you one thing nothing or no-one will make you so angry/frustrated or so happy as children do. It's a rollorcoaster ride but well worth it. Congratulations to you both
  • kdsh7 14 Feb 2012 22:45:25 1,176 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gosh, thanks guys for this thread - it's been both funny and reassuring! We're expecting our first on the 9th of June. I'm 36, so a bit of a late starter, and I was getting nervous about preparations..etc of which I've done none. Glad there's a community of dad(+localnotail) gamers here on my favourite forum ;)
  • Maturin 14 Feb 2012 22:49:06 3,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems to be a common age to become a father now, especially among the university educated. My twins were born I was 35.

I'm going to be 40 this year, and when I'm chasing around after our two year old I feel pretty old. But he's such an amazing funny and wonderful little pickle I wish he could be two forever. Being a dad is great.
  • kdsh7 14 Feb 2012 23:16:46 1,176 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    twins! So 3 of them running around! Actually I think I'd have loved to have twins, but we already know that's not the case!

My Mrs is older than I am, and turns 37 this year - it was pretty scary when the nurses told us the odds for illnesses and downs syndrome compared to someone who's 30. Thankfully our calculated odds once they took measurements off the ultrasound were knocked down a bit.

Also, if I could add this little rant; those 'Baby on Board' badges for the underground - they only seem to work 50% of the time! (no, I haven't been wearing them myself)
  • Jacksie66 14 Feb 2012 23:17:00 574 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Congrats big time JBlokeUK.
    Im not a father but i have 7 nieces and nephews that i love to bits (all under 6yrs).
    It'll be tough but well worth it in the end.
    Congrats again.
  • Ginger 14 Feb 2012 23:38:09 6,906 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The bit I'm more worried about is when they turn 13 and become an insufferable cunt. The bits before that I'm looking forward to!
    It's fun. Honest.
    If I'm honest I can't wait until our son decides he doesn't want to get out of bed. I miss my lie ins :(

London open taekwondo champion

• JBlokeUK 15 Feb 2012 07:49:45 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Congrats big time JBlokeUK.
    Im not a father but i have 7 nieces and nephews that i love to bits (all under 6yrs).
    It'll be tough but well worth it in the end.
    Congrats again.
    Thanks mate. Actually had a doctors appointment today (I live in Australia) and everything is looking good. I'm starting to get even more excited, although tomorrow I'll probably be more nervous than anything.

• DaM 15 Feb 2012 09:19:08 13,459 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half of EG seems to be expecting in the next few months - did Craigy slip some really magic code in the last site revamp?!

Good luck everyone!
  • THFourteen 15 Feb 2012 09:21:54 34,274 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i let out a massive one on the way to work this morning, luckily nobody noticed and i increased my walking pace
  • Fobocop 15 Feb 2012 09:25:45 90 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Fobocop wrote:
    Recovery can take a while and its horrible to see the consequences.
    Rookie mistake, you're supposed to stay up by her side and hold her hand, not wander down below her waste and take a peek.

Congrats to all the rookie parents and soon to be parents in here.
    Agreed - the midwives egg you on though - 'I can see the head, come and have a look'.
  • Blakester 15 Feb 2012 09:26:37 3,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really nice reading these posts. I have two kids (6&4) and they are my greatest achievement in life.

To all the parents-to-be I would just say to revel in every moment both good and bad because the time disappears before your eyes.

Once they reach school their development both mentally and physically is simply astonishing but that innocence you loved in them as a baby and toddler also vanishes. Sniff....

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• HermanTheTosser 15 Feb 2012 09:48:50 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    i let out a massive one on the way to work this morning, luckily nobody noticed and i increased my walking pace
    I think this may have passed lots of people by but I got it and thought it was brilliant.

Edited for poor spelling

Edited by HermanTheTosser at 09:52:58 15-02-2012
  • JBlokeUK 16 Feb 2012 10:24:34 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Dad's Group
    Still waiting for my invitation to be accepted ;)

• mcmothercruncher 16 Feb 2012 11:42:37 7,563 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being a Dad is a bizarre mix of being really organised and yet infinitely flexible. I don't think any book, job or well meaning relative can really prepare you for it- you've just got to get stuck in.

And in that spirit, here's some totally unorganised thoughts:

> The nappies aren't that bad at all... if you're breast feeding. They can actually smell pretty pleasant- like warm bread. No, really.
    If you're bottle feeding, from friends babies, phew! Not nice, but I guess you get used to it.

> The first smile (at about 6 weeks for me) is FUCKING MAGIC. An exquisite moment where you properly make that first visual connection and one I'll always remember.

> It can be hard and it can test your relationship if it isn't all hunky dory. You'll both be under a lot of extra stress that can widen any cracks that may be lurking there. Nothing you can do, just be aware of it.

> You may be lucky with your baby and get 'a sleeper', or you may not. If it's the latter, you're going to be knackered for a good while to come. For the first week the adrenaline keeps you going- I think I slept for about two nights over the whole week. After that, it'll hit you, but then you'll slowly adjust and, surprisingly, be OK with getting up regularly in the night. 4AM is the WORST time to be woken, for me. You haven't quite slept deeply for long enough yet and there also isn't enough of the night left :(

> Buy one of these.

> Also, fucking tonnes of these, you ain't going anywhere for a while.

> Respond to their needs, pick them up, comfort them when they need it. Always. Makes for contented, secure babies that grow into happy better performing kids at school. Controversial this, but personally I think the Gina Ford "cry it out" method for sleep training is too brutal. A. you aren't breaking a stallion and B. you aren't a victorian parent that thinks prolongued periods of crying is "character building". I hope. Give them loads of love and attention.

> Never mind all the clichés, most of them happen to be true- it's fucking ace being a parent.
  • motti82 16 Feb 2012 12:17:45 2,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent thread, I agree with what has been said, just make sure you enjoy every moment, good and bad. The bad parts such as lack of sleep don't last forever but the good memories will stay with you. Take plenty of photos as the baby will change so much in the first year.
  • DugBriderider 16 Feb 2012 13:10:06 530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Must be something in the water cos I'm expecting my second at the end of March. Good tips from cruncher above.

I would add a Thermos Flask, (for top & tail washing and later on small hours bottle preparing) you always need hot water at an awkward time, a full Thermos flask is very handy.
  • JBlokeUK 17 Feb 2012 06:13:49 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great post mcmothercruncher, thanks for the tips mate! Also loving that onesie, will look to order one of those.

My parents actually told me that I was a 'sleeper' when I was a newborn, and my nephew who is only 6 months is also a 'sleeper' so I'm hoping my little man is the same.

I've also noticed how when you tell people you are about to become a first time parent, they go on and on about all the negative stuff - the sleepless night, the crying, the changing nappies. Never do they mention all the good stuff that comes with a first child, yet most here have come out with some great stories and some of the good things me and Mrs JBlokeUK can expect.

• ComradePete 19 Feb 2012 10:07:47 492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Expecting my first in September - not planned so was a bit of a shock at first but reading this thread has been great.
  • JBlokeUK 19 Feb 2012 10:38:50 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mine was planned, but it still felt like a shock when the missus called me to say she was pregnant.

• Deleted user 19 February 2012 10:52:08
    My daughter turned one last month and she's great, really well behaved... so far. She's started climbing upto to the tv stand and if she's unchecked, the hands go to the screen. Watching her attempts to be inconspicuous is endlessly amusing, but it's not as funny as the sight of her jumping out of her skin when she here's her dad calling her name, "Isabelle, no. DOWN!" That's basically my weekend days for me now.

Reading some of the comments here, I think I must have dropped lucky - I'm generally finding fatherhood easy and enjoyable; I'm not tired at all. Saying that, I think it's much easier for the dad if he's going to work instead of being at home with the baby - I'm not sure my gf would agree that it's a breeze - what with her also being a nurse working shifts.

But yeah, good times. It'll be sad watching her develop past her cute and innocent phase, but hey, could always have another.
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Feb 2012 16:16:03 7,563 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel a bit sad about my daughter getting to 11 months for the same reason- she's all cute and compact at the moment and moving from a baby to a toddler feels like the beginning of the end of that great first phase.

And, apparently, I wasn't much of a sleeper JBloke so it's clearly payback time now for me! I was 18 months before I went through the night. My Dad used to have to drive me around in the small hours because the car movement was the only thing that got me to sleep. As soon as he got on the drive and put the handbrake on, bang, I'd be awake and crying again. Then he'd have to get up and half 6 to go to work. I'm really surprised I made it to that 18 month point ;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Feb 2012 16:23:41 39,406 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, my first child was planned but we found out a few days after I had been told I was being made redundant. Wicked timing.

• WiseFool 19 Feb 2012 20:48:44 874 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Heh, my first child was planned but we found out a few days after I had been told I was being made redundant. Wicked timing.
    Oh, I can relate to that. I was fired about a month before my son was born.. Was one of the first in the company to get a child, and had been crunching until then, but told them I couldn't do that with a little one on it's way.. Shortly after I got the notice.. Classy.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Feb 2012 20:59:10 39,406 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, that sucks. This time around we found out we were expecting then I found out my current job goes down to Bridgend as of April 1st.

Thankfully tomorrow I start my new job after a promotion :)

• WiseFool 19 Feb 2012 21:18:24 874 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Congratulations! =)
  • Page

of 22 First / Last