Blockbuster WTF! Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Murbal 16 Jan 2013 14:43:53 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-16-now-its-blockbuster-uk-to-enter-administration
  • Whizzo 16 Jan 2013 14:53:40 43,033 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just like HMV it was just a matter of time.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Moot_Point 16 Jan 2013 14:58:16 3,912 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BBC article.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Moot_Point 16 Jan 2013 15:00:51 3,912 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    So annoying. My local blockbusters and hmv always busy. I really don't want to only be able to shop online.
    Got any nice tracksuits?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Trane 16 Jan 2013 15:03:56 4,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Shit! Ordered a few things of the their site the other day.
    Use a credit card.
  • bbvDJC 16 Jan 2013 15:07:50 1,684 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blockbuster will be alright, even if they just go purely as an online service.

They have a bigger choice of film and game than lovefilm, so if they match the prices and advertise properly they'll stay in business.
  • captbirdseye 16 Jan 2013 15:07:54 4,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I did but the stuff was pretty cheap compared with anywhere else...oh well!
  • Dr_Mech 16 Jan 2013 15:26:25 996 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    its-LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Just been down to my local blockbuster to trade some PS3 games but i couldnt decide on anything to get so decided to sell for cash. They offered me £6 for uncharted 3, £1.80 for killzone 3 and £2.40 for the force unleashed 2. These prices didnt sit well with me lol so thought id ask on here what i should be asking for these games? Surely these prices cant be right.....can they?
    I work at Blockbuster and while the games you traded in are considered 'old games' by the company and from the sounds of it you were getting the cash price, not the store credit price which is double.

That said...yeah...the Trade in Prices aren't great, they can be for some titles but if you've got older games, most of the time it isn't worth it to even trade them in. I mean I think we resell Killzone 3 at £10.99 and you'd get £3.60 for it with store credit option.

The other thing that affects the price beyond just age is if there were sequels released. The instant the new fifa comes out, the trade in price of the old one plummets because we get a fuckton of copies of it being traded in for the new one and we'll not exactly be able to shift last years fifa game quickly...

You can try taking them to CEX but you'll more than likely get the same price from them as well.

In other words, new games, yeah trade those in if you burn through them quickly, you'll get a decent amount of store credit (usually £25) but old games...flog them on Ebay/car boot sale/to your mates.

Edit: Well fuck...I'm not due into work for another 30 minutes and I've just read the above link that we're going into Administration...looks like I should start looking for another job then...

Basically Blockbuster got bought out by an American company called DISH (they're like Sky but in America) and they proceeded to invest sweet fuck all into the business, we were there simply as a tax evasion scheme (balancing a loss making company against your profit making one apparently helps lower taxes or so I'm told). We had to prove we were still profitable by Christmas to a potential new investor and...Christmas was fucking awful...despite everything the company tried I'm guessing we didn't make enough profit for the investor to be interested.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 15:30:26 16-01-2013
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 15:27:51 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, its quite impressive that the market leader has managed to toss away its massive headstart by sticking its head in the sand and hoping the bad men will go away.

How did they not be the first postal rental service? The first streaming service? The first to have a blockbuster app on all of the consoles? Talk about fiddling while rome burned.

And this is a case where the high street isnt more expensive than the internet. It costs the same to rent a blu ray as it does to stream most new releases in shit quality on most devices.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ronuds 16 Jan 2013 15:32:14 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    its-LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Just been down to my local blockbuster to trade some PS3 games but i couldnt decide on anything to get so decided to sell for cash. They offered me £6 for uncharted 3, £1.80 for killzone 3 and £2.40 for the force unleashed 2. These prices didnt sit well with me lol so thought id ask on here what i should be asking for these games? Surely these prices cant be right.....can they?
    I work at Blockbuster and while the games you traded in are considered 'old games' by the company and from the sounds of it you were getting the cash price, not the store credit price which is double.
    Were they considered old a year ago, when that post was written? :p
  • Dr_Mech 16 Jan 2013 15:34:17 996 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    *cough*

I'll tell you why...in the words of the company director.

"netflix is not a threat."

Yes the guy actually said that on a voicemail about a year ago. They tried a fuckton of stupid ideas, like movie vending machines which apparently kept fucking up/being broken into. They ignored the coming of streaming as a non-issue because "we stock the titles before they do, so people have to come to us to see the latest movies."

Actually Blockbuster DO have an online rental by post but guess what, it took a year after lovefilm cropped up for them to get it going. Way behind the trend.

That sums up the upper management, slow to react and when they did react, it was waaaay to fucking late.

In otherwords, yes, the company directors did stick their head in the sand.

Edit: Didn't see the date on the inital post...sorry about that.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 15:34:57 16-01-2013
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 15:36:38 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is going to be the 'year of the idiot director'.

He totally called it

• morriss 16 Jan 2013 15:39:15 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The OP is from 2012 in case no one noticed.
  • ronuds 16 Jan 2013 15:40:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Just giving you a hard time. :)

I love B-Buster! I hate not being able to go somewhere and look at their movie and game selections. Doing it online.... it's just not the same.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 15:40:59 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And the british arm went down the toilet about an hour ago in case you didnt notice.

He totally called it

• Murbal 16 Jan 2013 15:41:22 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which was why the thread was bumped.
  • Murbal 16 Jan 2013 15:42:04 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure why people jump straight to the first page; I always jump to the last and work backwards. Is that not normal?
  • andijames 16 Jan 2013 15:56:02 2,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Not sure why people jump straight to the first page; I always jump to the last and work backwards. Is that not normal?
    If your backwards yes! ;)

To be fair i do the same usually. I've learnt to check the bloody date now on posts before reacting.

vivir el momento

• Deleted user 16 January 2013 16:05:17
    This is about ten years overdue. I'm genuinely amazed they held out as long as they did.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 16:10:37 58,782 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember when the first huge one opened in Derby city center. Within a couple of years every local video store in the area had folded.

Reap what you sow and all that.

He totally called it

• DaM 16 Jan 2013 16:18:04 12,892 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought they were a West of Scotland chain run by Asians till I saw one in New York.... For about 5 seconds I was thinking "well done lads, impressive expansion"....

Can't believe they've lasted as long.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:45:45
    nickthegun wrote:
    I remember when the first huge one opened in Derby city center. Within a couple of years every local video store in the area had folded.

Reap what you sow and all that.
    Exactly what happened with my town. Blockbusters turned up and all the video shops I had been using for many years just disappeared!
  • Rusty_M 16 Jan 2013 18:04:57 4,565 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know the way?
    Did we hear someone say
    "They just haven't got a clue what to do"?

Edited by Rusty_M at 18:07:20 16-01-2013

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• OptimusPube 16 Jan 2013 18:20:49 2,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is crazy all these multi nationals going to shit, I hope it's that shit hole Argos next.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• jonsaan 16 Jan 2013 18:21:51 25,326 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The staff in my local BB are shocking. Rude, abrupt and no concept of customer service. I haven't bought anything there for eons simply becuase of this fact.

FCUTA!

• Chopsen 16 Jan 2013 18:28:10 15,707 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The man from Deloitte's, he say the core business is profitable. So presumably there was a poorly judged stab at expansion at some point that was funded by debt, which their creditors have called in. Hope they don't go. Streaming is still limited on choice and postal rental just doesn't work for me.
  • captainrentboy 16 Jan 2013 19:01:46 943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know Game aren't exactly renowned for great customer service or knowledgable staff, but I like to think that my store is an exception to that rule. But our local Blockbusters is managed by an absolute prick, he's unbelievably ignorant and rude, whenever I've been in there he's usually serving whilst yacking on the phone.
    Anyway, when Game was going through its shit last year he seemed to take great pleasure in sending his staff down to poach our customers (Literally standing at our till point) whilst bad mouthing us to his customers.To top it off he plastered some home made posters over his store's windows telling customers of our imminent demise. (Turns out my store was one of the ones to survive the mass culling)
    So to sum up, fuck that guy and fuck his store :)
  • senso-ji 16 Jan 2013 19:09:21 5,789 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SambaApe wrote:
    Sports Direct will be next to go, I'd be willing to bet money on it.
    Sports Direct are a high street store that has cheaper prices than the internet on a lot of their stock. Might as well predict Primark will go under.
  • neilka 16 Jan 2013 19:10:05 15,630 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Greggs next, I've been buying all my pasties online for years now.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last