Dear Esther Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Nov 2012 11:49:57 2,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cool, thanks for the updated. Loved Dear Esther (one game which I could show the girlfriend which proved not all games are about killing, maiming or shooting). Looking forward to the next one.
  • Canyarion 25 Nov 2012 22:07:29 33 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    You can also start at different "chapters"
    Argh! I got to the start of the 4th and last chapter, but when I quit the game, I couldn't start at any other chapter than 1.

Some bug, or is it because I was playing with the console turned on? It's pretty frustrating, because having to replay a slow hour within 2 days is boring.

Also, why does the game not mention that there's a quicksave function?
  • andytheadequate 25 Nov 2012 22:12:04 8,915 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Because the game is far too arty to tell you how to save.

I had a similar problem, when you quicksave and quit the game, when you load it back up you have to start chapter 1 and the quickload.

Wasn't impressed at all with this.
  • WrongShui 25 Nov 2012 22:33:31 6,751 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game disappointed me, lot's of good things being said about so I went into it expecting something.
  • RobAnybody 25 Nov 2012 23:15:35 1,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    This game disappointed me, lot's of good things being said about so I went into it expecting something.

Well, we're all different.

I still love it to bits.
  • RobAnybody 25 Nov 2012 23:18:15 1,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Because the game is far too arty to tell you how to save.
    But it's easy enough to look up the key bindings in the settings ......

I had a similar problem, when you quicksave and quit the game, when you load it back up you have to start chapter 1 and the quickload.

Not a major problem though is it? I mean, how long does that take? A second or two?
  • andytheadequate 29 May 2013 14:41:35 8,915 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Due to the current indie bundle, I have a spare code to give away for this if anyone is interested (and for some reason doesn't want to pay $1 to charity for 6 good games).

Personally, I thought it was poor, but others may enjoy it.

PM me if interested
  • Deleted user 20 March 2015 19:10:08
    I like this game.
  • RobAnybody 20 Mar 2015 21:51:28 1,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pleased to hear it. :D
  • BeardedGamerUK 20 Mar 2015 23:30:47 2,115 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really liked it as well. Will have another go at it some day.
  • Ged42 21 Mar 2015 10:07:47 7,985 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also liked it, the atmosphere is bleak, yet enthralling. Looking forward to their next game 'Everyone Has Gone to Rapture,' the English country village setting looks really intriguing.
  • RobAnybody 20 Sep 2016 13:04:07 1,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know, this is the PC thread, but Dear Esther has just been released (20th September 2016) on the Xbone and PS4 as it's been ported to Unity.

It's now titled: Dear Esther: Landmark Edition and features a few changes, including a developers commentary.

So why am I mentioning this in the PC thread? Because in a few months this Unity port will also be released as a free update to existing PC and Mac owners of the game.

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=1547
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2015 20 Sep 2016 13:58:04 29,577 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's nice. I like it when they update stuff like that :)

That said, Unity stuff generally runs horribly (but playable enough) on my PC, where whatever engine it uses now is great. I assume it's Source as it has that Source look about it? No idea. I'd still probably use it as a reason to do another play-through though, even if I had to lower the settings a bit.
  • RobAnybody 20 Sep 2016 15:15:20 1,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 2012 PC release was made with Source (coded by Robert Briscoe who then ported most of it to Unity).
  • Humperfunk 20 Sep 2016 15:40:07 5,748 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As part of my ongoing mission to buy every new release, I forgot I had pre-ordered this on PS4.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Oct 2016 13:48:29 20,429 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just completed this on xbox (without directors commentary) ...I'm not sure, very atmospheric and the world you inhabit is bleak and cold and dark, beyond that I'm not too sure what I think.

Have to say that EGTTR is one of my favourite games ever, I don't think this touched those heights. I do understand it precedes them and was actually a mod.

Will playthrough again with commentary on, to see what the team at TCR were thinking.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.