Must haves for 360 & PS3 Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• King_Edward 6 Jan 2012 13:33:09 11,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wet was more like the grindhouse throw backs that've tarnished Tarantino and Rodriguez's careers of late.
  • boo 6 Jan 2012 13:37:40 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks much! (as Tom Nook would say).

I'll start drawing up a shopping list, and if we do get a bonus in March (and there's anything left after I've bought my annual travelcard), then a glorious day of hardware/software shopping awaits!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Derblington 6 Jan 2012 13:50:52 21,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you pick up a 360 and can wait a while I'll pass along the 3 Mass Effects, Bioshock, Bayonetta and Vanquish once I've played them. It'll take me a few months, minimum, but it'll save you all of... oooh, 20 :)

You won't find many people that won't recommend you to at least try them on here but the choice is yours.

Edited by Derblington at 13:54:32 06-01-2012
  • andytheadequate 6 Jan 2012 14:26:02 8,283 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I think boo is looking for the very best games of the generation, not quite good games released in 2008/2009...

Halo ODST isn't as good as Halo 3 or Reach, and Wet is just painfully average.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 is a good call, but make sure you play them in order. Unlike COD/ Gears/ Halo games, the story is actually good so it's worth playing them in order
    Each to their own Andy and its "My" list, I thought Halo 3 was overblown hyped shite but really liked the tight moody guerilla warfare campaign of ODST.

Plus WET was/still is fucking good fun, like a cheesy 80s action movie crossed with tarantino.
    I know, my comments weren't meant seriously :)

I actually enjoyed ODST up until the last mission, which utterly bored me (as did getting lost in the dark all the time).

I only played the demo of Wet but it didn't really grab me.
  • King_Edward 6 Jan 2012 14:33:04 11,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think Fable 2 is brainless.
  • King_Edward 6 Jan 2012 14:41:00 11,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :(
  • boo 6 Jan 2012 14:46:15 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed the original Fable, so I'd probably give Fable 2 a go.

Just Another Lego Blog

• brseg 6 Jan 2012 14:50:22 679 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me, Borderlands was the only truly 'must-have' title of recent years, and I'm not even into most FPS (I dont own any CoD games). Something special about it.

If I had to add another I guess I'd go for Red Dead. Worth experiencing even if you dont complete the game. I remember playing the first few hours in total awe at the world they had created.

Edit - both games got 8/10 from EG... :D

Edited by brseg at 15:09:46 06-01-2012
  • Dr_Wookiee 6 Jan 2012 17:38:32 110 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I enjoyed the original Fable, so I'd probably give Fable 2 a go.
    Yep. Fable II was far better than III.

Bioshock ... just wonderful
  • heyyo 6 Jan 2012 18:13:22 14,372 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    GTA IV + all dlc
    Heavy Rain
    Batman AC
    Uncharted 1 - 3
    Forza
    PGR
    Gears 3 (not a fps)
    Halo, wars,reach ect
    Infamous 1 + 2
    ...ect
    For the next gen it'd be these same titles, one or two iterations further.
  • heyyo 6 Jan 2012 18:17:08 14,372 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    If you pick up a 360 and can wait a while I'll pass along the 3 Mass Effects, Bioshock, Bayonetta and Vanquish once I've played them. It'll take me a few months, minimum, but it'll save you all of... oooh, 20 :)

You won't find many people that won't recommend you to at least try them on here but the choice is yours.
    Mass Effect will turn you into a fat space nerd, bioshock will have you touching small girls with crazy look in your eyes, vanquish will make you cover yourself in aluminum foil and walk sideways like a crab. everywhere.

Give them a miss mate.
  • Rodriguez 6 Jan 2012 20:21:13 1,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will add a few more to the list, some more obscure than others, that I've also enjoyed this gen and have mostly been well received by gamers or critics.

In no particualr order or platform:
    -Resonance of Fate
    -The Darkness
    -Deadly Premonition
    -Hitman: Blood Money
    -Alpha Protocol
    -Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
    -Earth Defence Force 2017
    -Civilization Revolution
    -Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
    -Bully: Scholarship Edition
    -Overlord
    -Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
    -Condemned: Criminal Origins
    -F.E.A.R
    -Dead Rising
    -Project Sylpheed
    -Mercenaries 2
    -Dragon Age: Origins
    -Tomb Raider: Underworld
  • boo 12 Nov 2012 10:03:29 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a moment of madness on Saturday afternoon, and bought an Xbox 360 and a PS3.

They came bundled with a few things, so I have...

Halo 4
    Forza 4
    Gran Turismo 5
    Uncharted 3 - Drake's Deception
    Skyrim (voucher for a dowload of the complete game)
    Borderlands 2

I've added the following to my Amazon wishlist

The Orange Box (as I want to try the original Portal)
    Bioshock
    Mass Effect 1
    Heavy Rain
    Halo 3
    Halo : Reach

Will go back through this thread and look at the other recommendations that people made.

Was there a 'this gen' Broken Sword? I thought there was, but I can't find it. Sleeping Dragon was the last one I played.

Also, what's the best Wipeout-alike of this gen? Wipout 2097 on the PS1 is still one of my favourite games.

And has anyone played 'Catherine'? It looked like it might be either awesomesauce or bloody awful.

Edited by boo at 10:04:27 12-11-2012

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 12 Nov 2012 10:26:26 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ot alternatively I could ask the friendly and informed people on Eurogamer, who between them have hundreds of years of experience playing games.

If you see any of them, be sure to say hello.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 10:30:57
    doctor_fraud wrote:

Or you could just use metacritic and read actual reviews and decide.
    Penis.

@boo - far be it from me to be a walking advertisement for the game, but Trials HD and Trials Evolution on XBLA are nigh on unmissable. There's a PC package coming soon with both versions though if you prefer it on that format.
  • boo 12 Nov 2012 10:35:55 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Ironlungs76 - I'll take a look.

Just Another Lego Blog

• MatMan562 12 Nov 2012 10:36:51 2,522 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @boo If nothing else in The Orange Box takes your fancy you can get Portal: Still Alive on the Arcade which includes some extra test chambers.

The best Wipeout-alike would be Wipeout HD and it's expansion Fury. I think you can get both for about 16 on the PS Store.

As you say you like adventure games, Dragon's Dogma could be a good choice and if you like Skyrim both Fallout 3 and New Vegas should do you well.

I think you have plenty to be getting on with without buying any more games for the moment though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• dominalien 12 Nov 2012 10:38:21 7,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He won't see any of us. Edit: that's about the good doctor. Damn my slow typing skills :-(

Catherine is pretty great. It's actually a puzzle game dressed up in a story. I don't normally play puzzle games, but I was happy to play this one. Which reminds me, I have to go back to it sometime and at least take a shot at that platinum.

There is a 4th Broken Sword, called Angel of Death. It can be had for pennies from GOG, but that's on the computer. They had a Kickstarter for a new Broken Sword, which apparently is going back in time to after the second game, pretending the 3rd and 4th ones don't exist. I think the Kickstarter is funded now, so I'm not sure you can contribute any more, but you'll certainly be able to get it when it comes out next year (I think).

The best Wipeout-alike this gen is Wipeout HD with the Fury addon.

As for Uncharted, the 3rd is probably not the best place to start. Most people will tell you UC2 is the pinnacle of the Uncharted series, but my personal favourite is UC1. My opinion differs a lot from the opinions of other people, though, so you might consider ignoring me.

The Mass Effects are very good. I'd say the console of choice for those would be the 360.

Edited by dominalien at 10:40:54 12-11-2012

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 10:43:37
    Boo - Welcome to this gen :)

pick up dark souls. Just do it. There been loads of good games this gen, but when you pick up dark souls, you realise how rigid most other good games are. They are more production value games than gameplay games - thats not to say there aren't good though, the likes of uncharted series are fantastic.

Dead space and batman arkham asylum, have a great mixture of production and gameplay.

I probably pick up RDR as well. and rayman origins.

Also theres loads of gems on the store. The indie games are the real winners this time round. Journey, pacman championship edition, pixel junk shooter and eden, outland. I've yet to play bastion, limbo, from dust and the like.
  • MatMan562 12 Nov 2012 10:44:50 2,522 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, Demons/ Dark Souls are worth a look and i'll throw the Dead Space and Assassin's Creed series' out there as two of the best created this generation and Mirror's Edge because everyone should at least try it.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Zomoniac 12 Nov 2012 10:47:30 7,867 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nobody has said Braid. You're all bad people.
  • andytheadequate 12 Nov 2012 10:50:25 8,283 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I second lungsy- the trials games are a must.
  • Stranded87 12 Nov 2012 10:50:30 924 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think anyone's said Journey either, which for me is one of the games of the generation.
  • chrisno21 12 Nov 2012 11:04:20 1,534 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    As for Uncharted, the 3rd is probably not the best place to start. Most people will tell you UC2 is the pinnacle of the Uncharted series, but my personal favourite is UC1. My opinion differs a lot from the opinions of other people, though, so you might consider ignoring me.

The Mass Effects are very good. I'd say the console of choice for those would be the 360.
    I agree and the first is my favourite too, love them all and it's easly my favourite game series this gen, possibly of all. Also the first is the most unique in that it's not full of set pieces and so may feel more different than the other two games are to each other.

As for Mass Effect, the trilogy is coming so you can play it on either console - i played the 360 version as ME was originally an exclusive. The only difference is that I had to change discs.

If you play JRPGs then don't miss out on Lost Odyssey on 360.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• boo 12 Nov 2012 11:10:14 11,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have added Uncharted 1 & 2, MGS 4 and Catherine to the wishlist.

Journey? "Don't stop. Belieeeeevin, wOoooOOOOoooaaaaahhh!"

/goes off to check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated. I'm just looking for this gen's KOTOR now.

Just Another Lego Blog

• dominalien 12 Nov 2012 11:11:41 7,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just looking for this gen's KOTOR now.
    That's basically Mass Effect.

PSN: DonOsito

• AgeOfChaos 12 Nov 2012 11:13:33 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you have a cold house, an xbox 360 is a must have.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last