XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 25

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• WrongShui 9 Oct 2012 14:54:07 6,620 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dropped down to normal/ironman to get my bearings.

Initial thoughts are good, death is still upsetting, missing still makes me yell and the snipers are wonderful.

My only negatives are the civ5ification of research and manufacturing, with it's requirements and what not and the fact that the geoscape has been streamlined to a single "Continue" button, the loss of all the little things UFO had going on in the world is upsetting but live-withable.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:01:39
    Yeah downloaded for the Xbox.

Now lets see what the fuss is all about.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:03:21
    downloading, lets see if it will make me buy on friday.
  • MatMan562 9 Oct 2012 15:05:59 2,510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I think i'm going to get this now, just deciding between PC and 360 but what does the different difficulties actually change? Ironman is one save file that is constantly auto-saved, right? Like Dark Souls? I would want that but what difficulty level would be best?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• agparrot 9 Oct 2012 15:17:00 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Well, here's RPS' article on what you should know about the demo, FWIW.
    This could probably do with an airing, given that there is a bunch of stuff not in the demo, that you probably shouldn't let put you off too much. As mentioned previously, the demo is more of an introduction to how to play bits of the game, at some points actually forcing you to place your soldiers in particular places, although the second mission is a little more freeform, but is still in the business of existing more to teach you about the mechanics than allowing you free reign over the game proper.
  • Machetazo 9 Oct 2012 15:19:43 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a similar question that I had. How to decide where to initially set the game in term of difficulty. Is barreling in to Classic, in hunt for tension/minimal hand-holding a really bad idea, or can you get by through the right approach, ok? (irrespective, Ironman's definitely getting activated - there is no plan B!)
    I hoped there'd be a guide or something, official or not, to help with initially setting the game up nice.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Oct 2012 15:20:59 3,884 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My game is shipping soon and I'm downloading the demo.

If this post were a rap song, here's where I'd be waving money at the screen while women dance behind me. (The polka.)

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• agparrot 9 Oct 2012 15:22:15 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose if you want to be able to play through the game and win the first time, set it to Normal.

If you are happy to be repeatedly beaten in the face before you can get your foot in the door, choose Classic.

My concern, too, is about trying to adapt to the new game systems stuff whilst also setting it to wellhard difficulty, but I reckon I can take it. Probably.
  • onestepfromlost 9 Oct 2012 15:28:00 2,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so went for normal to get my bearings, did a few mission with no deaths. then what killed me, my greatest enemy, my bloody gf distracting me on a cruicial move. (note to eveyone always make sure to not move VIPs next to burning cars!)
  • Machetazo 9 Oct 2012 15:29:58 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This review on Gamespy, I think does well in explaining the game, and covers some of the things in here as well.
  • fletch7100 9 Oct 2012 15:40:43 7,349 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, impossible/ironman from the start if I can't then classic/ironman :). I will also name soldiers after EG forum members, will post a daily update of your heroics or how your fragile bodies were ripped apart by those pesky aliens. So those first soldiers I name, well you better start writing your will now.

Remember your training and you will make it back alive. Just kidding you're all cannon fodder

When playing terror from the deep, named a soldier after a friend. He was there from the start of the game and got killed by the very last alien in the final mission base. Was a tragic experience. Bloody lobster type aliens
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:48:07
    Although this isn't my normal thing I've just enjoyed what I played.

I'll pick this up on Friday.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Oct 2012 15:48:43 26,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was born for frontline action.
  • Tryhard 9 Oct 2012 15:49:05 4,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There better be alien probing in this.
  • agparrot 9 Oct 2012 15:51:30 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Right, impossible/ironman from the start if I can't then classic/ironman :).
    Ha, it was YOU who posted the link to the gameinformer 'difficulty' article. Basically prior to submission, TWO games were ever completed on Impossible, and it is viewed much more as a 'roguelike', where you are trying to see how long you can survive, rather than if you can survive, than as just an increased difficulty level.

That's why I'm not touching it until I've managed to at least win on Classic/Ironman, and probably then only as a sort of curio.
  • neilka 9 Oct 2012 15:54:07 16,247 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I was born for backdoor action.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Oct 2012 15:58:22 3,884 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My crew is going to be named after videogames. The last man standing is going to be the best video game of all time.

Come on Hungry Horace!

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• onestepfromlost 9 Oct 2012 15:59:23 2,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anyone know if the adjacent facility bonus works verticaly as well as horizontally?
  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 16:03:54 18,719 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Normal for me. It's going to get replayed a lot; may as well see what's in there. Why have I got a feeling the post will fuck up and I'll not see the box until Monday??

May have to bail from the thread before all the spoilers start getting chucked around! :'(
  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 16:04:49 18,719 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    My crew is going to be named after videogames. The last man standing is going to be the best video game of all time.

Come on Hungry Horace!
    :D

I'll either not bother modding stuff at all, or name them all after Dads Army characters. They don't like it up 'em!
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 16:06:54
    I nearly always enjoy playing a game on hard as too many modern games are easy on normal. There are exceptions (max payne 3).

Can you change difficulty after starting campaign? I hate choosing hard then getting stuck somewhere and having to re start on normal.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 16:09:41
    @Bremenacht do what I do. If post don't come buy it in the supermarket then on Monday returned to posted sealed copy back to supermarket for refund. I've had to do this on max payne and sleeping dogs already, I'm sure I will have to for dishonored as well.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 16:20:11
    Lordy,

demos for this and Forza Horizon waiting for me to download after work?

Don't mind if I do, ta very muchly.

This silly season looks to offer some much needed variety this year.
  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 16:38:44 18,719 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    @Bremenacht do what I do. If post don't come buy it in the supermarket then on Monday returned to posted sealed copy back to supermarket for refund. I've had to do this on max payne and sleeping dogs already, I'm sure I will have to for dishonored as well.
    Oh! Crafty!
  • LeoliansBro 9 Oct 2012 16:50:19 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get your arse to Maaaaaaaaars.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• fletch7100 9 Oct 2012 17:05:16 7,349 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just played the demo, yup too short. Already know what to expect so am hyped for the game.

Played it slow sneaky beaky style. Just to soak the game up. Broke 4 man team into 2 fireteams, heavy gunner with sniper, support with assault. Assault leading the way, support with med kit providing back up. When moving sniper, made him move with a pistol so at least I got an over watch shot from him when moving.
  • Spekingur 9 Oct 2012 17:13:46 483 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ilovechips UFO Afterlight for Mars. Just seeing that planet go green was awesome and it felt like progression was made.
  • PenguinJim 9 Oct 2012 17:25:52 5,906 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play-Asia offered me a $6 discount on Catherine if I got my basket over US$25. Couldn't find anything else I wanted at a decent price, so... Special Edition XCOM coming my way. :(

Worked out at 15 each for this and Catherine, though, so it's not all bad...

(Catherine 360 is completely region-locked and they've only got the US version discounted, so don't anyone else be trying that unless they've got a PS3 ;))
  • El_MUERkO 9 Oct 2012 17:39:42 17,074 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playing Classic Ironman and it's pretty tough, no cover is absolute and the enemy have a good awareness of what cover is destructible as well as good aim.

Managed to capture my first alien which was TENSE!
  • Page

of 130 First / Last