XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 21

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 13:43:22
    Edge 9

"It’s possible, through bad planning and bad management, to doom the planet early on, making the game feel unfair. Get it right, however – survive the stresses of management, and the strains of aliens – and you’ll feel like world’s greatest hero."
  • agparrot 8 Oct 2012 13:46:11 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now I just need to learn enough about hacking to break into Shopto.net's systems and fool it into thinking that it is already the day on which my copy needs to be posted to me.

/deliberate troll:

Luckily for all those people who can't decide whether to get Dishonored or XCOM, they should be able to finish Dishonored in about 4 hours by the sounds of things, and then get XCOM to fill in their proper gaming time.

/deliberate troll.
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 13:47:29 21,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damnit! Can't ignore mods! ;-)
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 13:47:31 3,788 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm excited.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• agparrot 8 Oct 2012 13:50:28 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The always worth a read RPS Wot I Think:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/#more-126769
    I always enjoy reading the RPS stuff, especially that by UFO superfan Alec Meer.

From the article you linked, Starchild:

If you are inclined to feel that there is simply no good reason to not replicate all that made X-COM great, I am inclined to believe that you simply will not abide XCOM, with all its alterations, omissions and new explorations.

I am even more inclined to believe that you’d be denying yourself a perfectly good time and what is for me comfortably the most absorbing and thrilling strategy game I’ve played in years. (I do not use that silly word ‘thrilling’ lightly, but I’ll come back to that later.) I’ve been desperately worried about the game right up until the point that I played it. When I played it, I played it for some 50 hours and counting. I regret none of that time, I have missed showers, meals and Quality Time with girlfriend, cat and Dishonored in order to obtain it and I want to spend even more of it in XCOM instead of writing these damnable words.
    That's good enough for me, I reckon.
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2012 13:57:02 6,948 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but now I need to decide when I will have the time to play it. With Borderlands 2 already eating up all my gaming time and Dishonored arriving in a few days, never mind the stack of other games I have piled up as it is.

Maybe if I can use the Xmas holidays for backlog clearing, I can pick it up in the new year with a clear conscience!
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 13:59:13 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This over all other games, Vortex! Shame on you! ;)

Sounds great: PC for me, as I didn't realise free-aim had gone. That is a bit annoying - hopefully be modded.
  • Trafford 8 Oct 2012 14:15:26 5,613 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thank the gaming gods for this release. Nothing else out this quarter appeals to me.
    Might even treat myself to a second copy on the 360 for some big screen sofa action.
  • Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 14:32:51 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Sounds great: PC for me, as I didn't realise free-aim had gone. That is a bit annoying - hopefully be modded.
    Yeah, that sounds like a loss, but then those old maps needed it a lot more. Burning through walls on the cruise ship was a lot more preferable than walking through a door straight into somethings line of sight.

From what I've seen of the maps so far, that sort of design issue won't be relevant.

Anyone seen any mention of DLC in relation to this game? I wonder if new maps (and maybe free-aim) will come later.
  • neilka 8 Oct 2012 14:35:05 15,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe we'll get Terror From The Deep as an expansion/DLC at some point?
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 14:35:40 3,788 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there free aim in the pc version? What would you use it for? You cant target cover to destroy it with guns, since the engine doesn't do it well. Destroying cover, apart from with a grenade, is almost accidental in the game; missed shots etc.

• Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 14:45:47 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Maybe we'll get Terror From The Deep as an expansion/DLC at some point?
    No ta! Those damn cruise ships belong in the early 90's. Worst terror mission evah.
  • Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 14:48:57 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    What would you use it for?
    It would allow you to shoot your own route through a map. Very handy for some maps in the early games. The new game seems to have more open maps.
  • AaronTurner 8 Oct 2012 14:48:58 7,591 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Is there free aim in the pc version? What would you use it for? You cant target cover to destroy it with guns, since the engine doesn't do it well. Destroying cover, apart from with a grenade, is almost accidental in the game; missed shots etc.
    Rockets
  • agparrot 8 Oct 2012 14:57:43 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    What would you use it for?
    It would allow you to shoot your own route through a map. Very handy for some maps in the early games. The new game seems to have more open maps.
    Yeah, and even using regular guns to remove bits of the side of barns, where you suspected enemies were lurking, was a handy tactic.

I'm glad they've decided to stick with the unrealistic, 'nothing needs to hold the upper floors in place' dynamic with the maps. It's not at all realistic, but it's the kind of design decisions which will hopefully retain the fun and essence of removing cover at your own pace.

As for free-aiming at things you can't see, this has now apparently been replaced with a 'squad sight' ability for the Sn1p3r class, so perhaps that has played some part in the decision to remove the free aim, too.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 14:57:43 3,788 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh. I've just watched a Giant Bomb video where he used, on the 360, free aim to fire a rocket. And I think you can free aim to throw grenades on the 360 too.

If those are the only two weapons that can use free aim, aren't the PC and 360 versions mechanically the same?

• RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 15:06:51 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want it on PC because I hope it'll be modded in - not because the mechanics are different between versions. There are no small-arms free-aim options in any version, as far as I know. Explosives you can, as is sensible.

I suspect it'll be less of an issue in this as you don't have the old snap-shot/aimed-shot etc business - where a rifle bullet could take down a wall (?!?!?!) and you might have enough TUs to finish the enemy you knew was behind the wall, but was out of effective LoS.

It's a small thing, and I'm certainly not weeping moot_point tears about it.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:07:14 08-10-2012
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 15:11:12 3,788 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wasn't suggesting you were being uppity about it - I just didn't realise you were holding out for a mod.

• fletch7100 8 Oct 2012 15:14:12 6,950 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @beastmaster

Gameinformer have videos of them playing 360 version

Only difference is PC with higher resolution and quicker loading times on the PC. Exactly the same content for pcs and console

Xbox footage

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/05/test-chamber-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-xcom-enemy-unknown/17-6653/

Edited by fletch7100 at 15:25:51 08-10-2012
  • Khanivor 8 Oct 2012 15:15:54 40,388 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll be getting this on the pc but hope it works well with a controller. From the demo it doesn't appear that there's any benefit from using kb/m so it'll be nice to play UFO on a 55" screen as opposed to my 15" monitor from when I first played on my Amiga.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2012 15:22:33 14,398 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lads don't kill me...I have no idea about this game, is it a 3rd person shooter ? does it have co-op or MP, not that I care too much for either.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 15:25:07 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I wasn't suggesting you were being uppity about it - I just didn't realise you were holding out for a mod.
    I wasn't suggesting you were suggesting - I just wanted to clarify ;)
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 15:25:44 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Lads don't kill me...I have no idea about this game, is it a 3rd person shooter ? does it have co-op or MP, not that I care too much for either.
    /aims
    /150% chance for NOOB CRIT
    /fires
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 15:27:00 3,788 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aliens vs Humans on the iPad.

• w00t 8 Oct 2012 15:40:56 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

It's a turn-based combat strategy game with a management layer over the top. No real-time combat. You choose the target and the soldier has a percentage chance to hit.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 15:43:03 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    and the original is amazing and this looks to be awesome also.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 15:47:22 25,412 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My lustful need for this game is increasingly at an alarming rate.
  • w00t 8 Oct 2012 15:49:51 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    my gusset is damp

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2012 15:51:31 14,398 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5

It's a turn-based combat strategy game with a management layer over the top. No real-time combat. You choose the target and the soldier has a percentage chance to hit.
    Thank you fella. Not one to darken my game/man drawer then. I hope all you dudes have awesome super fun time with it ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 15:52:32 22,030 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heathen! It'll be really really really good.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last