XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 18

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 5 Oct 2012 17:27:24 44,508 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Satellite bases were just for global coverage. One interceptor, two radars (large and small), rookies and hovertanks for base defence.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 5 Oct 2012 17:27:51 44,508 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'm so building my first base in South America. Instant alien research FTW!

• agparrot 5 Oct 2012 17:28:05 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Managing different bases was boring. I honestly, no matter how much I love the game, don't think it added much.
    Well it made more sense to me. Having numerous bases situated around the world allowed you to monitor the invasions around the world. also, trying to find alien bases gave extra places to go, other than just doing the downed alien craft/city invasion scenario encounters.

Apart from the multiplayer, this new x-com will get very old very quickly in my opinion.
    They have already talked about you being able to monitor different locations around the world with satellites, and one preview even mentioned that you could, later on, have multiple places from which to launch your interceptors. The veracity of this latter statement might be hard to establish, but to date it is my understanding that even the press preview copies were cut-off at a certain point along the story and tech trees.

Limiting you to one base, and the fact that this means that all your construction, research and manufacturing decisions come with an opportunity cost, seems like another neat way to crank up the tension in my mind. There's been no confirmation of alien base missions, but I'm of the opinion that much of the late-game stuff hasn't been put into the public domain yet, so it is probably too soon to make a judgement about what the game is or isn't ahead of either reviews, or better still actually getting to play it.
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 17:36:56 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @agparrot

Well it sounds like an uncompleted game then. Unless the 'late-game stuff' is dlc, which going by 2K standards of making a game (and money), sounds about right. /ticks avoid list

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Trafford 5 Oct 2012 17:39:01 5,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /clicks ignore button
  • agparrot 5 Oct 2012 17:41:09 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Trafford If only I had that luxury.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Oct 2012 17:42:08 26,143 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a tremendously tiresome bore.
  • WrongShui 5 Oct 2012 17:46:57 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished my UFO. Wonder if I can fit in a Terror from the Deep game before this is out.

I'm going confess something here, I prefer Apocolypse, it's not the better game but it is easier to get into for me.
  • LeoliansBro 5 Oct 2012 17:48:52 44,508 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TFTD takes a lot longer, and was to my mind a crueller, more depressing experience. Go for it though.

• Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 17:50:47 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Music maybe?

Jeez there are some right cry babies on here.

================================================================================

• AaronTurner 5 Oct 2012 17:54:26 7,786 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:

Well chosen username!
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 17:57:03 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:

Well chosen username!
    Thanks. Glad you appreciate it.

• Trafford 5 Oct 2012 17:59:32 5,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't put you on ignore really moot, left yourself open to a gag that's all.
    You're just coming across a little cliched.
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 18:04:16 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Trafford Sorry. I am on the strong cider tonite. *BURPP*

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 18:23:10
    Wonder when xbox demo coming? This along with halo 4 is on my immediate to do list when I get back Dec/Jan.
  • fletch7100 5 Oct 2012 18:31:41 7,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    game informer review

"Both of XCOM’s layers present life-or-death conundrums to which there is no right answer. No matter what you pick, something or someone is going to suffer for it. This kind of tension and terror rarely occurs within mainstream gaming, and almost never with this level of skill in the execution. Don’t let the “turn-based strategy” moniker scare you off; XCOM is a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience."

PC version has much quicker loading times, is easy to play either KBM or control pad, consoles have same content as pc

Edited by fletch7100 at 18:35:48 05-10-2012
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 18:33:01 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    game informer review
    I think someone else is on the strong cider tonite too!

edit: You spoil sport!

Edited by Moot_Point at 18:33:54 05-10-2012

• neilka 5 Oct 2012 18:56:35 16,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Preload time!
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 19:11:16
    Never played Xcom, very interested in this. Looked at screenshots and videos and it is hardly graphically impressive, but does anyone know if I have a hope in hell of playing this on a 2009 macbook?
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 19:13:54 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Never played Xcom, very interested in this. Looked at screenshots and videos and it is hardly graphically impressive, but does anyone know if I have a hope in hell of playing this on a 2009 macbook?
    The Mac has only just got Black Ops. so i doubt it.

• Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 19:13:54 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    The Mac has only just got Black Ops. so i doubt it.

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 19:38:16
    Can install Windows on it so it is more a question of performance.
  • WrongShui 5 Oct 2012 19:47:39 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try the demo?
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 20:14:29
    ... I never knew there was one sorry. Saw someone talking about waiting for a demo but it appears that was the 360 one. Will do!
  • Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 20:32:55 4,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Its on steam. Its not as great as the original, but you'll not notice i suppose.

• Spekingur 5 Oct 2012 20:39:13 483 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @agparrot Is it confirmed that you are limited to one base? I ask because in the demo you saw where the other bases were/would have been on the geosphere in a seethrough blueprint kind of way. If these locations weren't supposed to be accessible at any time then it makes no sense from a user interface design perspective to show these.
  • Spekingur 5 Oct 2012 20:40:20 483 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Its on steam. Its not as great as the original, but you'll not notice i suppose.
    If you are looking for something like the original you should check out Xenonauts.
  • WrongShui 5 Oct 2012 20:41:46 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You have one base and you can have satellites that extend radar coverage around the globe.
  • agparrot 5 Oct 2012 22:18:51 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Spekingur That sounds like it might be the bit at the beginning where you choose which continent to stick your base on. Each continent grants a different kind of permanent bonus in-game, so you do get to choose placement the once.
  • 1Dgaf 5 Oct 2012 22:35:24 3,885 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think there is any late game stuff. I think all that remains to be seen are other alien types and armour weapon upgrades.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Page

of 130 First / Last