XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 126

• Page

of 126 First / Last

Next
  • Mayhem64 27 Jan 2014 22:07:37 649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There isn't much difference, just it's harder to live with your decisions heh. I beat EU on Classic Ironman AND normal Impossible, but given a couple of bugs regarding missions popping, playing Ironman with EW is a risky business.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Bremenacht 28 Jan 2014 16:44:13 15,756 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ugh. Another CI in the bin. A couple of wipeouts where every soldier was in full cover. I thought you didn't get crit hits when in full cover, but it seems you do if the cover gets destroyed too. Maybe it was always that way, and I've just forgotten what a c*nt this game can be.

Ho hum.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• krushing 29 Jan 2014 12:54:43 776 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any rumours on EW hitting the iPad version? I'm getting so little "proper" game time these days that it'd be pretty sweet. Haven't played the vanilla game for a long time either though, so it's proving to be a pretty nice experience yet again.
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2014 20:55:40 15,756 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One more CI for the bin. This getting critted in full cover thing is super-annoying.

Thought I had one UFO mission completely under control, but got two soldiers critted hiding being full cover trees. Even with just two soldiers left (one Sniper with squadsight) I thought I could do it, but two fucking Seekers appeared and went straight for the Sniper. Bastards!

Edited by Bremenacht at 21:29:27 29-01-2014

• Dairyfree 29 Jan 2014 21:12:38 419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I've started a new game on EW, only in the tutorial still but I think I will really enjoy it.

I've put it on normal so far, and although it is only the tutorial it does seem quite forgiving. Probably an obvious question but does it start to ramp up the difficulty to add the tension of losing squad memebers/making the right choice etc?
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2014 21:29:12 15,756 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are some spikes, but it's fairly gradual and flattens out either side of a mid-game event. If you've played XCOM before. If you haven't, then it'll feel like it spikes quite a bit as new aliens appear. The satellite business is more likely to trip you up.

• Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2014 22:24:04 16,257 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you're a new player I have some advice. That is, try to set up choke points and let them come to you as running in with weak units will get you done in quickly, once you have some better soldiers you can be a little more aggressive.

Snipers really come into their own with squad sight. Always choose that ahead of the other option unless you have several snipers.

Try to always be in full cover, also, there are, on every map points that set off the enemy so try not to head into the gloom too quickly.

Satellites are quite key early on, it's not always easy to juggle everything early on but try your best.

Hope all that is some help.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dairyfree 31 Jan 2014 14:01:30 419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Trying to get as many satellite's up asap, just juggling with money and other shiny things which is all part of the fun.

I'm not too far into it but it really is a great game already. Haven't grown this attached to AI since cannon fodder!

Is it a long game? I don't want it to end.
  • RedSparrows 31 Jan 2014 15:08:00 20,757 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, will go on for a while. There will be a lull about 80-95% through, however. Shame they couldn't improve that bit in EW also, but I guess they wanted to give some time for you to feel powerful before dicking the aliens one last time.
  • StrikeForce 31 Jan 2014 16:22:45 56 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any idea if they're ever going to patch EW to sort out the bugs? I've had to abandon 2 Ironman playthroughs because of a corrupted save and the multiple-mission game-breaking bug.

I wanted to hold out until they'd patched it before trying again, but if it's never going to happen I might as well just start a non-Ironman playthrough - even though I lack the willpower to enforce my own Ironman permadeath, so it won't be quite the same.
  • Dairyfree 4 Feb 2014 16:44:28 419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Just did a fishing village mission where it has been taken over by zombies caused by the starship trooper looking bugs. Called in the airstrike, a brave lone soldier volunteered to stay behind as a distraction while her three surviving teamates scrambled to make it back to the safe zone. She took two out before succumbing to the bugs allowing all 3 to make it back.

/Salutes Cpt. Emma "Voodoo" Davies

• jabberwoky 5 Mar 2014 13:13:17 441 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just had my xcom base attacked by the little swine and I wasn't expecting it. So 3 of my 6 colonels had their thumbs up their arses in the psy labs, and I was left with 2 colonels fully equipped, and a major and 4 rookies all in their underpants armed with peashooters and rolled up newspapers.

Unbelievably we survived and it was one HELL of an exhilerating ride, certain death most of the time. Just as well Miss Wolf lead sniper from Germany was one of the colonels, 129 aim and 92 kills. She spends her spare time shooting the bollocks off flies for fun.

Medals all round anyway.
  • PenguinJim 9 Mar 2014 16:17:13 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really quite enjoying Enemy Within, which I finally got around to starting last week. A couple of surprises in there, which is nice.

There's an achievement for completing a Classic or Impossible game with a team of four, which I thought might be a joke initially, but four Mecs could certainly do it.

I thought that of the two Mec options, the melee one would be rubbish, but she's my favourite! On a semi-serious note, the cut-scene where I made my first Mec trooper made me feel a bit queasy. Butchering my soldiers to save the planet. Not a nice feeling! :(
  • Bremenacht 9 Mar 2014 16:54:03 15,756 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The melee mech is great. Hold it in a nice pocket of cover and then run out and bash a big alien. Hurrah! Not as satisfying as a successful pew, but much more reliable.

• Mayhem64 10 Mar 2014 12:12:30 649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    There's an achievement for completing a Classic or Impossible game with a team of four, which I thought might be a joke initially, but four Mecs could certainly do it.
    It's not really feasible because of the requirements for a soldier to be the Volunteer, especially with the need to probably wear the psi armour and carry a mindshield...

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• PenguinJim 10 Mar 2014 13:38:10 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that occurred to me when I completed it today. :D They can't Gollop. :(
  • PenguinJim 19 Mar 2014 07:12:15 5,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Funny, I've got a hankering for another playthrough already.

One thing that was quite nice was the cloud saving - being able to play the same game on the train, at the office, on my home PC and in bed works particularly well with this style of game, and it just did its thing automatically.

Unfortunately, one thing that doesn't work with this kind of game is broken saved games. Luckily I was only playing Classic, not Ironman. Yet another save destroyed. I was hit by a few crashes again, too. I'd really love to see them fix the bugs in this game, as it undermines what should be an excellent experience.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last

Next