XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 123

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• RedSparrows 22 Nov 2013 23:01:02 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am not having that. Thin Men tend to be more accurate than other aliens and sometimes crit horribly, but no more for me than EU, or too much.

That said I have had less TM encounters in EW.
  • FightingMongoose 23 Nov 2013 02:17:12 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think they're both as tough as each other; but then I'm not the most gifted XCOM player.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2013 07:16:07
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I am not having that. Thin Men tend to be more accurate than other aliens and sometimes crit horribly, but no more for me than EU, or too much.

That said I have had less TM encounters in EW.
    When I replayed EU the other week I kept having bomb missions in the first month. This may have always been the case and I just forgot since I played when it was released but it seemed rather unforgiving to me.

That said I played 2 complete campaigns on CI back-to-back and didn't have any problems with squad wipes or anything which made me think some of the Second Wave additions had made the game slightly easier (Hidden Potential, for example, made it a whole load easier imo).
  • Bremenacht 23 Nov 2013 12:08:33 17,843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thin men are lethal on harder levels. You just have to double-up on them, at least. I got in the habit of getting 3 on 1 on my last EU CI game, because it seemed to be a reasonable risk/reward balance, avoiding those horrible wipe-outs.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Nov 2013 12:18:23 16,971 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    oh no, the 'take all items' option in combination with

Base Defense mission

All my rad troops, but they only have piddly assault rifles and no armour D:

All those laser rifles, just sitting around in lockers, unused, while everyone dies
    Yes. It's a bugger!

You are a factory of sadness.

• Fork_Handles 23 Nov 2013 14:55:43 29 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, I finally got my copy of EW working by uninstalling XCOM from my C drive and reinstalling it on my second hard drive, so I can now join in the fun!

No idea why uninstalling and reinstalling on the C drive didn't work any of the 3 times I did it, but hey, it's working now, so thank goodness for second hard drives!
  • munki83 23 Nov 2013 15:22:44 1,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:
    oh no, the 'take all items' option in combination with

Base Defense mission

All my rad troops, but they only have piddly assault rifles and no armour D:

All those laser rifles, just sitting around in lockers, unused, while everyone dies
    Yes. It's a bugger!
    I blame that make items available button :p.
  • the_dudefather 23 Nov 2013 16:48:12 9,288 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never really noticed it before, but changed the language for a couple of my troops

I'm guessing the options that are there are holdovers from localisation work (since many languages aren't present), but it would've been cool if your troops spoke in their native language, or at least a cheesy accent rather than everyone being american

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• munki83 23 Nov 2013 16:51:12 1,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Never really noticed it before, but changed the language for a couple of my troops

I'm guessing the options that are there are holdovers from localisation work (since many languages aren't present), but it would've been cool if your troops spoke in their native language, or at least a cheesy accent rather than everyone being american
    There is an option to allow them to speak in their native tongue its in the options menu.
  • Dodgymat 23 Nov 2013 18:00:19 914 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @munki83

Found this out in-game the other day after selecting Spanish for my Brazilian Overlord (Sniper that has only missed 3 shots in 4 game months) Had to google what he said to find out - it was "Alien artifact spotted" which means "The Meld is over there gringo!!"

Suffice to say I changed him back to English - I need to know what my troops are telling me, although it does add a different flavour to a mixed squad.
  • RedSparrows 23 Nov 2013 18:06:22 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The accent change only seems to apply to some troops, not others. I like it - you can work out what they mean by what happens anyway.

Just did base defense. 37 aliens killed, 2 rookies dead. It was very close - I got very lucky and had 4 colonels, but even then they all got wounded very badly, even when I was just camping for dear life.
  • munki83 23 Nov 2013 18:53:45 1,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    The accent change only seems to apply to some troops, not others. I like it - you can work out what they mean by what happens anyway.

Just did base defense. 37 aliens killed, 2 rookies dead. It was very close - I got very lucky and had 4 colonels, but even then they all got wounded very badly, even when I was just camping for dear life.
    I used the troops/guards supplied to me as redshirts. Stuck them in the open to draw fire :D
  • RedSparrows 23 Nov 2013 21:05:12 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, one death was from a Rookie scouting :)
  • phAge 23 Nov 2013 21:34:57 24,349 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just liberated the EXALT captive and at this point I'm often not even bothering using cover any more - with three soldiers with Bullet Storm and one with Double Tap and a bunch of overwatch-related skills, enemies rarely get to shoot at me.

Thinking I'll just rush through the rest and go for a CI game next.
  • the_dudefather 23 Nov 2013 21:52:00 9,288 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Is this easier than EU or have I just gotten better? Only playing on NI, mind, but I'm still murdering my way through everything that's thrown at me with little resistance. Some pretty fierce skill-combos, thanks to Second Wave, do help, I'll admit.
    Just finished on normal, and yeah, seems a bit easier than EU

Tried a classic and normal game in the original, but struggled a bit, didn't have too much trouble this time.

Maybe the MECs really help (had 3 mostly upgraded by 3/4 of the way through the game), or maybe starting the game with an actual plan goes a long way

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• 1Dgaf 23 Nov 2013 23:18:47 3,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it my imagination, but is it harder to get the 360 version online? Amazon used to have it for 25, but now only third-party sellers have it. Everywhere else is about the 28 mark.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 23:21:13 23-11-2013

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Dodgymat 24 Nov 2013 04:38:35 914 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @1Dgaf Gamestop UK have some for 24.97

Bargain
  • muttler 24 Nov 2013 09:50:28 3,991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What kind of defective plays XCOM on Normal? Do it on Classic, then CI.
  • phAge 24 Nov 2013 10:01:19 24,349 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I tried CI with EU, but it just wasn't much fun. I like having fun while I'm playing a game, not just after I've completed it, and having to restart over and over again until I manage to "get it right" just isn't my idea of a good time.

If EW is overall slightly easier than EU, I might give it a punt, though. And playing on anything other than Ironman is, IMO, missing the point of the game entirely.
  • Dodgymat 24 Nov 2013 11:31:20 914 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm doing normal first just to see the new story / missions without too much hassle. Will definitely do CI and Impossible again as I really enjoyed those in EU.
  • 1Dgaf 24 Nov 2013 13:40:36 3,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dodgymat

Cheers chap.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Mayhem64 24 Nov 2013 14:20:28 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I suspect if I get the game, I'll play it on Normal first to get a feel for all the new mechanics, and then Classic the second time. Anyone fancy going for the Classic+ only cheevo on the 360? :p

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• El_MUERkO 24 Nov 2013 14:31:34 16,978 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My first game of EU was Classic Ironman, after a few missions I decided it best to learn more before playing classic so I went Normal Ironman and it was awesome. Once completed and after a gap I played Classic Ironman and it was good but occasionally bullshit with it's enemy 'pop-in at the end of your turn > move toward you > see you > take another move toward you or to flank you > shoot at you > crit you dead' all without you being able to do anything about it.

With EW I started a Classic Ironman and was repeatedly crit-killed, maybe I was lucky playing it in EU but it seems their is a consistently increased chance of a hit being a crit now. So I played a new game in Classic and IMHO it's an issue and it's most noticeable at the start of the game prior to getting Carapace armour. The prime culprits are Sectoids and Thin Men, their chance to crit their Plasma pistols is too high and until you've got your lead soldiers in Carapace a crit is certain death, later in the game their chance to crit is still bullshit but at least you've got the armour to take the shot and survive.

So I've completed it in Classic but I wish I could have done it in Classic Ironman, the tension of the new one-off missions is taken away by the lack of an Ironman setting and now that they're played I can't forget them or the tactics I created to beat them :(

I'll take s break from EW for a bit and then play a Classic Ironman and see if I can grind through the frustrating start but I'm hoping they tweak it, it really wouldn't take much to fix.
  • Bremenacht 24 Nov 2013 14:35:58 17,843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Well, I tried CI with EU, but it just wasn't much fun. I like having fun while I'm playing a game, not just after I've completed it, and having to restart over and over again until I manage to "get it right" just isn't my idea of a good time.

If EW is overall slightly easier than EU, I might give it a punt, though. And playing on anything other than Ironman is, IMO, missing the point of the game entirely.
    I don't think there's anything wrong in not doing Ironman (although I did it myself). Not using it could be good for those occasions where the game gets a bit cheaty, and I assume EW has those moments. Nothing stopping anyone from thinking "I deserved that" following a big hit and saving it.
  • ubergine 24 Nov 2013 15:24:19 2,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I've only recently bought EU (on 360) and loving it. Haven't finished a playthrough yet, keep starting new ones as I comprehend the overall game better.

Should I ditch it for Enemy Within though? The box for EW suggests it contains EU, is it an option to play in the original mode or is the box deceiving me?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• RedSparrows 24 Nov 2013 16:02:02 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EW on console is standalone, with EU 'in' it.

I didn't have that many crazy bugs in EU (teleporting aliens etc), and I have noticed packs being more predictable in EW.
  • jabberwoky 24 Nov 2013 19:01:32 509 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm having more problems with classic I on EW than EU, and it seems to be coming apart in the battles rather than the strategy. I am just having good people die, with poor ranked replacements leading to failed missions and hence restarts of the game. And it is detracting from the experience. Something has gotten harder. Maybe it is more criticals as above.

Also I could swear the chrysalids have greater movement allowance than EU but without getting two xboxes out and two tvs and playing them side by side I may never know....

Its annoying, I havn't gotten to the gene or mec stuff yet!!

Maybe I should just stop whining and try again.
  • FightingMongoose 25 Nov 2013 10:59:09 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I believe I'm getting very close to the end after a marathon session yesterday. Never finished Enemy Unknown but playing Normal/non-Ironman on Enemy Within and starting to walk it towards the end of the game. Which I actually like as I've worked very hard to get to this all-conquering point. Got Colonels coming out of my arse.
  • RedSparrows 25 Nov 2013 11:20:18 22,328 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah am reaching that point. I like being rewarded for surviving that far, but the enemy scaling up to match you - psychics etc - doesn't quite do enough, imo. I don't want to have the terror of rookies vs even 1 alien like you do early on, but by the end you're a 6 man squad of tanks with 110+ accuracy each and a bunch of super powers. It feels great, but perhaps there could be some new mechanics for end-game also - just to give it a greater sense of danger.
  • HisDudness 25 Nov 2013 11:21:03 971 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wish they would go ahead and announce PS4/Vita cross-buy/cross-save for EW. My daily train commute would be immeasurably pleasant.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last