XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 112

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Commander-Keen 17 May 2013 07:34:25 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest, I try and make sure the majority of my squad are psionically useful in one way or another. That was always my tactic in the original as well - mind controlling the enemy and getting them to do your dirty work is always the safest way! :)
  • robc84 17 May 2013 09:11:00 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Very true, but I'm struggling to get any gifted soldiers at the moment though. I could really use a gifted support and another gifted heavy. Think that would complete my squad.
  • LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 09:37:26 44,215 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Yeah. Also, make sure you make use of the special gift thing. There are a couple of situations where that's the bomb...
    Yeah, without wanting to push you too far in an obvious direction, its the only psionic power that works on machines, and it stacks with HEAT...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Commander-Keen 17 May 2013 09:40:49 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Yeah - it's ESPECIALLY useful in that situation.

Errrrr. If it were ever to occur, that is.
  • LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 09:46:05 44,215 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the ultimate FUCK YOU payoff of the game IMO, with sniping or nuking the uber ethereal with the first shoty of your turn after his reveal a very close second. And that is pretty much the whole shape of the game in a nutshell - you spend 3/4 of it barely coping and the remaining 25% going on a glorious comp stomp reclaiming what is rightfully yours.

• robc84 17 May 2013 10:31:13 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I cant even remember what the special gift is! Is a one time use or can you use it as many times as you like?
  • Commander-Keen 17 May 2013 10:36:34 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a power you only get on that final mission, but you can use it as many times as you like (got a long recharge though...)
  • robc84 17 May 2013 11:01:05 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Right thanks. Dont think I even used it on normal.

Is it that thing that the ethereals do to my mind controlled muton?:)

Cos that is pretty brutal
  • Mayhem64 17 May 2013 11:38:17 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably. You only get it in the final mission once you've used the Gollop Chamber.

I had one gifted soldier from 15 in my entire C/I run (so he was the Volunteer by default), and I completed it perfectly well enough, so having lots of psi skilled soldiers isn't a necessity.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Commander-Keen 17 May 2013 11:40:50 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No. But it is good fun :)
  • robc84 17 May 2013 11:42:25 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thats what I thought. I just cleared a landed supply barge without too many problems (and it landed me at the side so it was a bit awkward!) so I think I can handle what it throws at me.

However... I think I need a heavy psi as the volunteer if that ability stacks with heat.
  • Mayhem64 17 May 2013 15:56:46 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it makes mincemeat of Sectopods even on C/I.

• robc84 17 May 2013 16:30:05 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think ready to just go for it now! I've only got a couple of psi's but I'm getting bored of just assaulting UFOs. Just want to complete it now!

I just need to take down a battle ship to get the blaster launcher and I'm good to go. Cant get the bastard to show up though
  • LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 16:32:20 44,215 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blaster Launcher isn't really a necessity tbh.

• robc84 17 May 2013 16:34:04 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I need the final research projects though for the trophy. I missed out on it on normal because I didn't capture a sectoid commander...
  • robc84 22 May 2013 22:41:29 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally completed CI!

476 days, 662 aliens killed and 33 brave soldiers lost their lives fighting the good fight.

It was a long old slog, and I had to rebuild my entire squad twice due to squad wipes. I nearly gave up but decided to stick with it. Glad I did as victory was all the more sweeter!

I actually feel a sense of achievement for completing CI which is rare in gaming, for me anyway.

Overall, great game.
  • Bremenacht 22 May 2013 23:52:57 18,235 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha! Well done! It's a good feeling completing CI.
  • Mayhem64 23 May 2013 10:59:34 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Congrats :)

• PenguinJim 23 May 2013 11:03:29 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Congratulations!

I'm trying CI again, without any Second Wave stuff this time. Nice to see that the Cloud saves now seem to be working, so I can focus on this at the office as well. :)
  • robc84 23 May 2013 11:06:14 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Thought I'd screwed up the last mission when I lost one of my snipers. Was completely my fault - I left her exposed to a beserker. She had ITZ and was taking out the mutons no probs, then she missed an 85% shot and I had accidently bloked the doorway with one of my soldiers so couldn't get the rest of my squad out out to finish them off... doh! Luckily I still had my DT sniper to take out the Uber Ethereal.
  • PenguinJim 24 May 2013 15:01:43 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Failed to load save game. The file may be corrupt.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :evil:

:cry:

My best CI so far, I was earning over $1,000 a month, was kitted out, had survived a couple of wipes without issue, and was finally stunning like a motherfucker! :cry:

The fucking bugs in this fucking game are a fucking joke! Have they even bothered patching it? :mad:

And why do white chrysalids emerge with the same HP as the adults?!?! (That's possibly the only design change I'd make)

And why not have a little video available at the end of the mission that transforms your turn-based action into a more simultaneous real-time movie? Wouldn't that be nice! The way the soldiers cheese it through every level, I imagine that the ten-minute nail-biting turn-taking would make a... 50-second real-time movie? :D
  • robc84 24 May 2013 15:07:00 5,606 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Failed to load save game. The file may be corrupt.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :evil:

:cry:

My best CI so far, I was earning over $1,000 a month, was kitted out, had survived a couple of wipes without issue, and was finally stunning like a motherfucker! :cry:

The fucking bugs in this fucking game are a fucking joke! Have they even bothered patching it? :mad:

And why do white chrysalids emerge with the same HP as the adults?!?! (That's possibly the only design change I'd make)

And why not have a little video available at the end of the mission that transforms your turn-based action into a more simultaneous real-time movie? Wouldn't that be nice! The way the soldiers cheese it through every level, I imagine that the ten-minute nail-biting turn-taking would make a... 50-second real-time movie? :D
    I've been pretty lucky with bugs. A few teleports and couple of freezes thats it. Nothing gamebreaking.

I'd be furious if that happened on my CI game. It took me about 10 attempts to get to mid game in good shape. If I lost that file I probably would have given up on the game!

I like the movie idea...
  • Mayhem64 24 May 2013 16:17:03 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I periodically backed up my C/I game to memory card... sorry to hear your grief Penguin.

• PenguinJim 24 May 2013 16:18:03 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A whole day's work in the office, GONE! :mad:

Oh, well. Hopefully I'll have a higher steam vent next time. :p
  • RunningMan 31 May 2013 23:26:32 2,409 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone is missing the old style x-com, xenonauts is up on steam for early access.
  • Khanivor 1 Jun 2013 01:14:08 40,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any word on more DLC? I'd like to play some more but I need more tech!
  • TarickStonefire 1 Jun 2013 08:52:11 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What does CI mean?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• LeoliansBro 1 Jun 2013 08:54:37 44,215 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Difficulty level. Classic, second hardest after impossible. Ironman, no reloading.

• TarickStonefire 1 Jun 2013 08:59:12 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ahhh.

I think I'd throw my computer across the room playing on a harder difficulty. I reload saves if anyone dies in my Normal game ;)

It has started getting a bit easy now I've got a dozen colonels all equipped with plasma weapons, though. I'm ready for the 'final' mission (I assume it's the final one, it's the one the Gollop room unlocks) now, not sure I want to play again on hard, would like some more variety now.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:00:32 01-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mayhem64 1 Jun 2013 16:48:43 667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People did Classic Ironman (as noted, abbreviated to C/I or CI) for the achievement. And for the challenge, bugs notwithstanding. Whether I try to spend the time doing Impossible is another matter...

• Page

of 130 First / Last