XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 91

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 4 Dec 2012 10:17:52 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You should always go for the hardest mission available. On Classic and above the panic level increase of an ignored mission is linked to the difficulty, so better to let an easy mission slip than a very difficult one.

I did not know that but I'm glad I do now because I was going to go for an easy mission over a hard tonight because it has a resourse I wanted.
    Never mind, I'll get another chance to acquire more scientists.
  • robc84 4 Dec 2012 10:20:35 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Excellent. I like the idea of a muton petting zoo. It could be a nice little mini game. You could breed them and create your own alien army....
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:23:48 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love my mutons! They may be mind controlled Sectopod target-practice, but they're so cute lumbering around missing every damn shot!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• robc84 4 Dec 2012 10:27:20 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've noticed that. Every shot they take on me seems to be a critical but when I mind control them they cant shoot for toffee. I guess there must be some kind of mind control aim penalty!
  • jampar 4 Dec 2012 10:39:21 59 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have also got to a similar place in the game - ie waiting to train up a Psy soldier and doing the missions to pass the time. not that i mind that though. Both of my qualified ones got minced by a sectopod :(.
  • L_Franko Moderator 4 Dec 2012 10:44:20 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It makes me happy that there is still a lot I am yet to see in this game.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:56:25 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For those at a certain point in this game, don't be too hasty to build the hyperwave beacon. This locks you into a nasty choice, you're between a rock and a hard place. Either you shoot it down (assuming you have a Firestorm) and face ethereals and elite mutons and generally harder UFO missions for the rest of the game, or you don't and it keeps escaping, pissing panic all over the shop and damaging your council rep. You're kinda screwed either way. I tend to pause at this point until you have at least one and a half ninja teams and a good part of the kit.

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 10:57:24 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, that's unclear. If you're dealing with a ... base like structure sort of thing ... and have it licked, you'll know to look at what I said up there.

• Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 11:01:19 17,064 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, good advice. I did much the same thing in my classic run through. I really should finish off my classic run as I'm just trying to find some psionic characters but in the mean time I'm getting lumbered with stupid annoying missions so my enthusiasm has waned a bit.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 11:05:28 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best psionic class? I'd say Support because of their increased move, except they're the most useful class overall and so using them as psychics is a waste of the other things they can do, which are often better. Following on from that logic I'd kinda say Heavy...

• robc84 4 Dec 2012 11:07:50 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    For those at a certain point in this game, don't be too hasty to build the hyperwave beacon. This locks you into a nasty choice, you're between a rock and a hard place. Either you shoot it down (assuming you have a Firestorm) and face ethereals and elite mutons and generally harder UFO missions for the rest of the game, or you don't and it keeps escaping, pissing panic all over the shop and damaging your council rep. You're kinda screwed either way. I tend to pause at this point until you have at least one and a half ninja teams and a good part of the kit.
    I would certainly agree with this. I decided not to shoot it down the first time but just bit the bullet the second time as it was affecting my council rating. Luckily I had a pretty decent squad capable of dealing with the harder missions. That first Ethereal took me a bit by surprise though as I didn't know what to expect. I'm still not sure of the best way to deal with them. I found a shiv can be useful in dealing with them, but then you obviously have to sacrafice taking a soldier. They dont do much damage but that reflect damage can be a pain and leave a soldier exposed to mind control
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 11:17:18 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They have a 'lance' attack that'll utterly shaft the SHIV as it causes damage based on Will (the SHIV has zero Will).

Don't let it escape the room you find it in and go for the classic schoolground tactic of Bundle!

• jampar 4 Dec 2012 11:18:59 59 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yup this is very true. I wish i had held off. quick question... I have found the Heavy Mutons very rarely if ever miss, which is a bit galling as my heavy cannot hit a barn door. anyone else have the same type of thing?
  • robc84 4 Dec 2012 11:22:18 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dont really use Shivs I just assumed that because the cannot be mind controlled they would be a good bet. I wasn't aware of that attack based on will!

I usually just get the soldiers in position outside the room and go in next turn in the hope that I can get enough shots off to kill it!

So yeah, basically 'bundle'!! I just thought there may be a more tactical approach....
  • robc84 4 Dec 2012 11:24:09 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @jampar Yes - 100%. Constantly being hit with criticals even in full cover and under smoke. I dread to think what they are like on classic!
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 11:24:26 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Heavy is hugely inaccurate, especially as they level up (other classes improve at a far faster rate). Try and get your heavy on higher ground, or closer, and treat them as explosives experts who've been given a gun rather than soldiers.

Archangel armour on a heavy is a bit cheeky as well - stick them up above everyone and the height advantage (plus 20 aim) will regularly see you getting 70-80% chance to hit. Plus there are far fewer impediments to rocket attacks...

• PenguinJim 4 Dec 2012 11:29:47 5,855 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't write down any numbers or anything, but I felt that the Heavy Laser was more accurate than the Heavy Plasma..?
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 11:40:57 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ram to answer your point in the GOTY thread without clogging that thread up, the AI specifically doesn't cheat. It is more accurate than you and has a better chance of critical hits, but the percentages are on a level, the impact of hunkering down / smoke grenades / suppressive fire etc are all on a level and the aliens cannot see you when you cannot see them, and are forced to speculate (which is why you sometimes see an alien hoving into view in an odd direction, or flanking themselves).

It feels unfair because you don't see the aliens' hit percentages (which are generally higher than yours because they have better tech and are superior) and, as always with these things, you remember the near-certain shots that your soldiers missed, but take for granted the shots that hit.

Teleportation is the only seriously unfair problem and that can sometimes even benefit you (if you have enough people on overwatch).

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 11:44:20 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I didn't write down any numbers or anything, but I felt that the Heavy Laser was more accurate than the Heavy Plasma..?
    That'll be because of progression. When you have heavy lasers your heavy troops are only just starting to fall behind on the accuracy stakes against other classes. When you've progressed to plasma everyone's a higher rank, and the other classes have improved much more than the heavies. Hence other weapons fall behind.

For example, a promotion from Major to Colonel (by far the biggest stat jump) earns a sniper a whacking +40% to aim, but a heavy only +10%.

Edit: I think the most accurate heavy plasma you can get is on a SHIV (95%). This is the same as a SCOPEd Colonel.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:52:49 04-12-2012

• robc84 4 Dec 2012 11:57:50 5,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Archangel armour on a heavy is a bit cheeky as well - stick them up above everyone and the height advantage (plus 20 aim) will regularly see you getting 70-80% chance to hit. Plus there are far fewer impediments to rocket attacks...
    Hmm, I think I am going to try this. May finally get some decent use out of my heavy!
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 12:08:46 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Final tip before lunch: an alloy shiv with suppressing fire is a lovely 'stun-delivery package'. It is fast, can be used as half cover, presents a preferable target to the aliens than the chap with the arc thrower crouched behind it (who can also be on overwatch) and if there's only a single alien in the mixer, can suppress it to make its life a real misery too.

Edit: full disclosure, this top tip was blatantly stolen from the UFOpaedia wiki, really worth checking out.

The only reason I don't take alloy shivs on missions when my main soldiers are injured is that they cost valuable alien materials to replace, and you can get more flexibility from a rookie with a light plasma rifle and a scope (who is less damaging and slightly less accurate at 85%, but who you can develop...)

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:09:46 04-12-2012

• ram 4 Dec 2012 12:30:26 3,481 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I'm not saying it is cheating, but when I get critically hit by a shot that looks like it passes through two bits of scenery it feels a bit unfair. It's still a brilliant game and I'm not really knocking it.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 12:33:14 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dread the little yellow circle appearing round one of your soldiers that you knew, you knew you shouldn't have placed there, and then the start of the zoomed in action scene that means he's been proper fucked.

• faux_carnation 4 Dec 2012 12:40:40 9,337 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I dread the little yellow circle appearing round one of your soldiers that you knew, you knew you shouldn't have placed there, and then the start of the zoomed in action scene that means he's been proper fucked.
    One of the first things I did was turn off all the action scenes. Definitely improved the atmosphere of the game.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 14:23:23 17,064 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    One of the first things I did was turn off all the action scenes. Definitely improved the atmosphere of the game.
    That is a fine idea.

You are a factory of sadness.

• jampar 4 Dec 2012 14:59:06 59 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The Heavy is hugely inaccurate, especially as they level up (other classes improve at a far faster rate). Try and get your heavy on higher ground, or closer, and treat them as explosives experts who've been given a gun rather than soldiers.

thanks for this one - defo going to give it a try, perhaps this evening if i have time.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 16:18:55 44,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't say I never give you nothing ;)

Beware though, using these kills your achievement list for that runthrough.

• L_Franko Moderator 4 Dec 2012 16:34:17 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, that is cool!

Quite tempted to start a new game and check that out now.
  • Bremenacht 4 Dec 2012 21:48:32 18,252 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Today's fun fact - the special psychic power you get (you know the one) works against robotic enemies. Try it on Sectopods, it's beautiful!
    Whhhhhaaa!? No way!!?

Is that an 'easy only' feature, or does it work on all difficulties?
  • RedSparrows 4 Dec 2012 22:42:28 22,697 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The special power is uber. That + blaster bomb wrecked the last room.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last