XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 10

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• agparrot 22 Aug 2012 18:32:56 11,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are a whole host of MP articles that were coagulated last week on the official site:

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/article/xcom-enemy-unknown-previews

It's basically all the Gamescon Multiplayer previews linked from that one page. Lots of goodness. The points system for putting together your squad of Humans, Aliens or any combination thereof gives me a faint 'picking a squad' vibe for tabletop WH40k. It seems to be a joining of that, and UFO goodness, and the panic-time of Frozen Synapse.

Well, hopefully.
  • HisDudness 27 Aug 2012 18:12:53 923 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Live demo stream by the devs going on now here:

http://www.twitch.tv/2K
  • HisDudness 27 Aug 2012 22:02:37 923 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here's the archive of the video

The game looks like a lot of fun, and seeing these two missions from start to finish sold me on the game a lot better than any of the written previews so far. Really looking forward to this now. I'm even digging the controller support for PC. Looks like it works quite well and allows you to kick back on the couch.
  • agparrot 28 Aug 2012 12:41:50 11,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    Wow, that looks like the Mutt's nuts, and that's 'only' the 360 version. It's not even long to wait, now - just about 6 weeks and a bit!
  • glaeken 28 Aug 2012 13:40:37 10,978 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That does look brilliant. Very much XCom.
  • HisDudness 28 Aug 2012 13:40:57 923 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    HisDudness wrote:
    Wow, that looks like the Mutt's nuts, and that's 'only' the 360 version. It's not even long to wait, now - just about 6 weeks and a bit!
    No that's the PC version, but being played with the 360 pad. They'll be showing the mouse and keyboard interface at PAX, but I like that the pad option looks completely functional.
  • AaronTurner 28 Aug 2012 13:44:57 7,522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think I will buy this on release day.

Er, what is release day?
  • agparrot 28 Aug 2012 14:04:21 11,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    9th October in the US
    12th October here in Europeland.
  • agparrot 28 Aug 2012 14:06:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    HisDudness wrote:
    No that's the PC version, but being played with the 360 pad. They'll be showing the mouse and keyboard interface at PAX, but I like that the pad option looks completely functional.
    Ah, I see - I was misled by the Y and X prompts on screen.... and probably by watching the first third of the video without any sound! It's nice of them to integrate that level of 360 pad support into the PC version though.
  • AaronTurner 28 Aug 2012 14:42:18 7,522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @agparrot ah cheers, still quite far off then. I will have to remember to save up.!
  • agparrot 7 Sep 2012 17:27:36 11,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you remember those excellent interviews Alec Meer did with the developers, back before there was any real kind of information about the game. How Alec is a massive fanboy of XCOM, and had concerns about whether anything could live up to his/our memories of what the original game was like?

Well, he's posted up another interview today with Jake Solomon. It's a good read, from which I've plundered, referring to that hour gameplay video that HisDudness posted above:

RPS: This is exactly the kind of thing someone will accuse me of a being a sycophant for saying, but watching that video it did quite surprisingly seem like you were all incredibly into it, like it was a great spectator sport even for the two of you not playing, as you stressed about whether a shot was going to make it. Despite all the stuff I could ask about, however you tried to explain it, ultimately it can only boil down that moment-to-moment decision making, whether the incredible tension around each and every shot is there or not.

Jake Solomon: Yeah, you can’t sum up what it feels like when you’re on a mission and your down two soldiers who you loved and the odds are again you. You can’t sum that up on words. I was sitting in my lead producer, Garth’s, office the other day, and he’d named all his soldiers after 80s and 90s action heroes. So he had Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Van Damme and Carl Weathers and Wesley Snipes…
    5 weeks to go!

edit: this is only part one of the interview, there's more to come, apparently. The stuff about him developing his strategy prototypes, and going to Big Sid when he'd melted his own brain, is fascinating.

Edited by agparrot at 17:32:47 07-09-2012
  • RedSparrows 7 Sep 2012 23:37:44 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game looks SO GOOD.
  • OneLove. 8 Sep 2012 21:33:19 10 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only recently played the original Xcom, so I'm by no means some nostalgia blinded fanboy that holds the game to impossible standards. But, in terms of aesthetics, I can't help but feel this remake is a little wide of the mark.

It looks like a fun enough game, but it lacks the brooding intensity you get in the original. The soundtrack seems very generic and lacklustre, and the alien designs aren't really intimidating enough.

This is purely from a style persceptive, so I have no doubt the other aspects will stand up well. It's just disappointing for me as the atmosphere of the original is what made it so immersive and unique.
  • RedSparrows 9 Sep 2012 00:40:40 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it looks awesome.
  • OneLove. 9 Sep 2012 01:00:54 10 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Take for instance this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dF63JPBUMrE

First couple minutes, fine. Reasonably eerie, but from then on it just descends into some trite space action game. Bulky space marines that resemble superheroes toward the end, rather then the vulnerable out of their depth troops of the original. The aliens are no longer presented as intelligent lifeforms, but snarling bionic machines. The likes of which we've seen dozens of times in GoW, Mass Effect, etc.

The music, the panning and the overally dramatic set-pieces just seem off to me. And the emergence of a end mission boss at the end just capped it off.

Some of the mechanics are without a doubt an improvement, and will definitely add more tactical elements and depth. Overall though, in my opinion, it's failed to capture the feeling the original invokes.
  • RedSparrows 9 Sep 2012 09:15:54 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would seriously suggest waiting to play it. You can't really judge tone properly  until you've got it to yourself, and you start out with the basic recruits,etc: tone for me in the original comes from fear, which is bred by playing it. Hopefully they captured that.

You may well be right in the end, but the vids aren't exactly representative of all the game: remember the armour suits in the original? Your guys looked like walking tanks!

As for looking intelligent, I am not sure any alien did, and there clearly were some snarling vicious types: cryssalids?! If they act intelligent, good enough. Perhaps the original's graphical limitations work for this, but I don't think the designers intended the mobs to not be snarling, vicious, but intelligent, aliens. They aren't all T1000s.

I thought the setting etc of that video was perfect in tone: gloomy, ruined, night time city. Oh well.

Edited by RedSparrows at 09:20:00 09-09-2012
  • figgis 9 Sep 2012 10:46:28 7,382 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The demo was just a demo of unit progression not of actual gameplay. The real game won't be like that.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Sep 2012 11:07:59 41,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xcom is my favourite game to this day. I think the new version will do just fine.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 9 Sep 2012 15:23:36 15,819 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still can't decide whether the 4 member squads are a good or a bad thing. On the one hand, it'll be a lot quicker to plot out the movements of just 4 units. On the other hand, it implies that maps will be a lot smaller or less complex or more corridor-like than the originals.

I can't say I'll miss plotting out the routes of a 12 or 14 unit squad through those damn cruise ships, but they rewarded thoroughness and care. If something went a bit wrong, you'd adjust your spread of units and be even more careful. How will you adjust in the new game if you lose one or two of your four?

I'm thinking it'll be a bit on the easy side or it'll encourage many reloads.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• WrongShui 9 Sep 2012 15:41:33 6,575 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The maps look small so 4 member squads should be fine.

The more I see of this the more I'm liking it, lots of changes and new ideas, seems like this could do the old game justice.
  • jabberwoky 9 Sep 2012 17:16:13 441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    4 member squads? Seriously? If they have watered XCOM down that much I think I'll pass after all.
  • Metalfish 9 Sep 2012 17:29:24 8,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is 6 later on. Which sounds find for me.
  • Khanivor 9 Sep 2012 17:31:38 39,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it out yet?

And why the fuck haven't the originals been ported to a mobile platform? Or better yet, given an update? It's the perfect setup for mobile gaming. By mobile gaming I mean lying in bed or on the sofa, of course.
  • RedSparrows 9 Sep 2012 18:23:53 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    6 is a good number. Better at least.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Sep 2012 19:27:44 14,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Khanivor

I'd happily spend money to play the original on my iPad.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Bremenacht 9 Sep 2012 23:02:56 15,819 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Is it out yet?

And why the fuck haven't the originals been ported to a mobile platform? Or better yet, given an update? It's the perfect setup for mobile gaming. By mobile gaming I mean lying in bed or on the sofa, of course.
    Some Russians made an Enemy Unknown clone for Windows mobile years and years back. It was buggy, but it worked.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• figgis 10 Sep 2012 08:49:38 7,382 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could use the psx emu to play x com on your phone. No touch screen though.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Sep 2012 09:17:10 41,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I suspect the inevitable sequel will have larger maps, squad sizes etc.

For now I am to this as silentbob is to the Rift: evangelical, adulating, infinitely forgiving and rabidly defending. Can't wait.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• UncleLou Moderator 10 Sep 2012 09:25:01 35,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am with you. Pretty much on the top spot of my most wanted list after the last few videos, especially the one hour gameplay presentation.
  • Dangerous_Dan 10 Sep 2012 10:44:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd be glad for some revival of PC style turn based tactical RPGs like the X-com series or Jagged Alliance. I actually like the looks of it and if you have the ability to turn off the action camera aspect then I'd be very fine with it on the presentation and art direction.
    Unfortunately I feel very disappointed about the battle mechanics side of things. It looks to me like trying to emulate a lot of stuff from the better JRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and the sorts which I find very regrettable.
    What I'm writing about here is of course the missing action or time points which got replaced by unit specific abilities.
    Which turns the game into some kind hybrid in the battle game-mechanics department.
    On the other hand that was to be expected. The artwork and multi-console release plan requires a budget which is not granted to more traditional tactical game-mechanics which try to be more some kind of simulation of tactical battles.
  • Page

of 126 First / Last