XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 88

  • Page

    of 130 First / Last

  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 Nov 2012 07:20:06 11,560 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just about to start my first Classic run in a kind of max-min kinda way (not doing any un-necessary research, stunning as many aliens as possible to get their weapons intact) but I'm not gonna go Ironman just yet I think.

    Any advice? I'm thinking my squad is gonna be 2 snipers (with good pistol skills and squad-sight), 2 heavies (with holo-targeting and that auto-overwatch ability) and two assault dudes (with reflexes and firing twice).

    For me, that feels like a nice balanced set-up, I really don't wanna be bothered with support dudes, even if they can move fast. Is that a mistake?

    || PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 07:30:17 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your heavies have to have HEAT, and I'd prioritise bullet swarm over holotargeting - firing twice is better, and a miss could destroy the alien's cover giving a better aiming boost than holotargeting anyway.

    Frontload ammo conservation once you find Mutons if you go for this of course. And be aware you have no defence in the mix apart from Lightning Reflexes, so you're totally Do or Die.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 07:31:38 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And if you're going for stunning support is probably your best bet. Moves the furthest, don't forget you can't run and gun and then use the Arc Thrower.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • SirScratchalot 28 Nov 2012 07:39:18 7,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find their tripple medkit skill essential on classic but my sucking is well documented in this thread :)
    Critical hits are much more prevalent on classic so reviving a high level character is a real treat. Though I am on iron-man so I don't have the load-up-the-last-save option.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 Nov 2012 07:43:32 11,560 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My God, you're right, I just researched HEAT and having slogged through plenty of sectopod and cyberdick(sic) wars, it seems obvious now that that's the way to go.

    Bulletswarm seemed like it let you shoot before moving, are you saying that it actually lets you fire twice? :o

    So what, maybe one support with an arc thrower? And lose one sniper?

    || PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 07:49:28 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is just theory now (I've been using support for damage control, not damage prevention) but: One sniper with squadsight, two assault sweeping in front, two heavies in the middle as immobile as you can get away with, and (theory bit) one support pissing smoke grenades. You're better off if the enemy never hits you in the first place.

    Probs trade in one of your assault for a rookie on rotation to keep squad dpeth up. And bear in mind the bonuses to aim, will etc make a colonel better than two majors.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2012 09:52:36 6,010 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I personally find Heavies to peak around mid-level, while Snipers, Assaults and Supports just keep getting awesomer to the end. But I could be playing it wrong! I have two heavies in my final assault simply because my extra high-rank supports and snipers were killed. :(
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 10:30:14 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I personally find Heavies to peak around mid-level, while Snipers, Assaults and Supports just keep getting awesomer to the end. But I could be playing it wrong! I have two heavies in my final assault simply because my extra high-rank supports and snipers were killed. :(
    Yeah, pretty much this. However, I had a heavy one shot the cyberdisc and pretty much single handedly take down a sectopod, this all with the 100% damage against robots perk. I have tended to go for holotargeting and although what LB says is true, I have found that the extra 10% has been the difference between the life and death here and there.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 10:35:15 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Absolutely, go with what works for you. Personally my heavy builds tend to be HEAT, large explosion mayhem rocket nutters - very pleasing for a Rocket to reliably take off 16 health from a Sectopod or near as dammit one shot a Cyberdisc. Grenades for me are only important right at the beginning, and briefly when alien grenades are new.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 10:48:20 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Absolutely, go with what works for you. Personally my heavy builds tend to be HEAT, large explosion mayhem rocket nutters - very pleasing for a Rocket to reliably take off 16 health from a Sectopod or near as dammit one shot a Cyberdisc. Grenades for me are only important right at the beginning, and briefly when alien grenades are new.
    Next play through I'll have to try HEAT. I did use it on normal but that doesn't really count as a barometer of the true application. Indeed, grenades are pretty ineffective pretty quickly, the first two missions they were incredibly important, after that I used them less and less and then I think I've used only one or two after that. S.C.O.P.E is where it's at, especially with the squaddies.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 11:08:21 24,242 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I usually go for this setup - saw me through C/I.

    1 x Sniper - built purely for mega sniping; have to get into position, but then is deadly: Squadsight, Height bonus, double-tap, disabling shot etc.

    2 x Assault - usually one with Alloy, one with Plasma. All bonuses stacked to increase def, and double-fire, immunity to crits, etc - the damage sponges, essentially.

    2 x Support - medkits to the gills. As I was on Ironman I wanted to be extra safe. Otherwise they were kitted out for suppression over smokes, and would normally be like snipers with periodic dashing about.

    1 x Heavy - HEAT, Holo, blaster launcher with only one shot, suppression again.

    Essentially my team was a slow-moving set of wimps who had to get locked into position to be really effective, but if I played cautiously I was alright. The two assaults usually got me out of unexpected scrapes.
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 11:11:44 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SCOPE and a Light Plasma Rifle is the best way to make your rookie relevant - he'll be firing as accurately as a Major (or a Heavy Colonel). He'll get more kills and advance more quickly as a result. Plus he's only $20 if he fluffs.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2012 11:13:08 6,010 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ARGH I'VE JUST FIGURED OUT THAT THE BLASTER LAUNCHER REPlACES THE HEAVY'S ROCKET LAUNCHER... RIGHT? I assumed it would replace their normal weapon. :mad:

    Oh, well, too late now. :)

    LeoliansBro wrote:
    SCOPE and a Light Plasma Rifle is the best way to make your rookie relevant - he'll be firing as accurately as a Major (or a Heavy Colonel). He'll get more kills and advance more quickly as a result. Plus he's only $20 if he fluffs.
    In Fallout 2 fluffing gave you Poisoned status. Is it the same in XCOM? :p

    Edited by PenguinJim at 11:13:59 28-11-2012
  • RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 11:14:19 24,242 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blaster-launcher is the best thing in the whole game.

    beep beep beep KABOOOOOOOOOUGHHHMMMMMM
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 11:15:53 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I usually go for this setup - saw me through C/I.

    1 x Sniper - built purely for mega sniping; have to get into position, but then is deadly: Squadsight, Height bonus, double-tap, disabling shot etc.

    2 x Assault - usually one with Alloy, one with Plasma. All bonuses stacked to increase def, and double-fire, immunity to crits, etc - the damage sponges, essentially.

    2 x Support - medkits to the gills. As I was on Ironman I wanted to be extra safe. Otherwise they were kitted out for suppression over smokes, and would normally be like snipers with periodic dashing about.

    1 x Heavy - HEAT, Holo, blaster launcher with only one shot, suppression again.

    Essentially my team was a slow-moving set of wimps who had to get locked into position to be really effective, but if I played cautiously I was alright. The two assaults usually got me out of unexpected scrapes.
    Impressed you got a Blaster Launcher on Classic!

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 11:17:53 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    In Fallout 2 fluffing gave you Poisoned status. Is it the same in XCOM? :p
    From the sound of the gag reflex, I'd say definitely. Especially the men :)

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Salaman 28 Nov 2012 12:13:13 19,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My tactic is to randomly select the perks as my soldiers level up and then forget who has which one when I deploy them. Once in the field I sort of try to move forward cautiously until I find aliens and then try to take them out as quickly as possible.

    /not the greatest strategist

    I am getting the hang of it and had an awesome level last night when I went in for some abduction mission listed as "very difficult".
    Fucked up initially, reloaded and then it all slotted into place perfectly.
    The first aliens showed up, 3 of the poison guys. Moving to flank them brought one of them cyberdisc fuckers into play. Their placing was such that I was able to shoot of 1 shredder rocket and take out all but 1 of the little guys that trail the cyberdisc. There were some mutons/berserkers next but I managed to dispatch those within one turn as well with some good positioning and flanking.
    Felt quite awesome ending the level in 3 or 4 turns with no damage to my squad whatsoever.

    Is there any way to tell which aliens I have already stunned and captured?
    I think I may have taken the shiny dude that hides at the interior of the UFO's and a muton but I'm never really sure and there seems to be no way to check when I'm in the field. :-/
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 12:15:11 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll be in your research archive (if you're already interrogated it) or in your research to-do (if not, plus he'll be hanging around in the ant farm as well).

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 12:28:47 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Blaster-launcher is the best thing in the whole game.

    beep beep beep KABOOOOOOOOOUGHHHMMMMMM
    ...and something I never got. Does one have to stun something that I've overlooked?

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 12:29:39 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spoiler: you need to shoot down a Battleship End spoiler.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • robc84 28 Nov 2012 12:30:24 6,082 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have to admit I have really neglected the stunning part of the game. I tend to run with two snipers so I try not to get in too close.

    I wish I had started early on now. The only aliens I have captured are the thin man and the outsider.

    I've started carrying an Arc thrower with now in case the opportunity to capture presents itself!
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 12:31:42 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apropos of nothing this suddenly popped into my head, I had splashed a small UFO and there were two sectopods one of which was wandering around the top of the UFO, only spotted him by accident, very odd indeed. Made me chuckle. Bugger to kill though.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 12:33:10 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I have to admit I have really neglected the stunning part of the game. I tend to run with two snipers so I try not to get in too close.

    I wish I had started early on now. The only aliens I have captured are the thin man and the outsider.

    I've started carrying an Arc thrower with now in case the opportunity to capture presents itself!
    Yes, it's very important to stun things, especially mutons.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 12:34:34 17,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Spoiler: you need to shoot down a Battleship End spoiler.
    Ah, I see. Not seen one of those at all yet. So near the end now, just have to do some probing of my group and the missions thereafter, I doubt one is going to turn up.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • robc84 28 Nov 2012 12:36:52 6,082 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wish I had realised earlier. I just saw them and tried to blast them all ASAP! Got to try to leave one alive and get in close. How much health do they have to be down to if you have the improved Arc thrower?
  • ardamillo 28 Nov 2012 12:52:17 525 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robc84 Six health for the improved arc thrower
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 12:53:48 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should generally get them to 3 health or below (6 or below when improved):

    Standard Arcthrower

    4 health: 49% chance of stun:
    3: 70%
    2: 80%
    1: 90%

    Improved Arcthrower

    7 health: 49% chance of stun.
    6: 70%
    5: 80%
    4: 90%
    .
    .
    1: 95%

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • robc84 28 Nov 2012 12:56:49 6,082 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks. I think thats my new mission for the next few days!
  • RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 13:21:02 24,242 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I usually go for this setup - saw me through C/I.

    1 x Sniper - built purely for mega sniping; have to get into position, but then is deadly: Squadsight, Height bonus, double-tap, disabling shot etc.

    2 x Assault - usually one with Alloy, one with Plasma. All bonuses stacked to increase def, and double-fire, immunity to crits, etc - the damage sponges, essentially.

    2 x Support - medkits to the gills. As I was on Ironman I wanted to be extra safe. Otherwise they were kitted out for suppression over smokes, and would normally be like snipers with periodic dashing about.

    1 x Heavy - HEAT, Holo, blaster launcher with only one shot, suppression again.

    Essentially my team was a slow-moving set of wimps who had to get locked into position to be really effective, but if I played cautiously I was alright. The two assaults usually got me out of unexpected scrapes.
    Impressed you got a Blaster Launcher on Classic!
    In the penultimate room of the Battleship I encountered 3 Elite Mutons, a Sectopod + drones, and 5 Heavy Floaters.

    Fortunately I had 2 men up high, and mind-control. Even so it was a very near-run thing.
  • LeoliansBro 28 Nov 2012 13:53:19 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FUCK HEAVY FLOATERS!

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Page

    of 130 First / Last

Log in or register to reply