XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 80

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• phAge 6 Nov 2012 16:29:25 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone tried messing around with any mods yet?

Strongly considering trying out the Warspace one for a more fair, balanced and less frustrating C/I playthrough - though I assume that any sort of modding will mean no Achievements?

http://games.on.net/2012/10/top-five-mods-for-xcom-enemy-unknown-balance-tweaks-second-wave-options-and-much-more/

Edited by phAge at 16:29:42 06-11-2012

Edited by phAge at 16:31:45 06-11-2012
  • SanktePer 6 Nov 2012 19:27:48 28 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just wanted to write off some anger with the whole "can't pick up stuff from dead rookie who happens to be the only holding the arc thrower". Annoyed. I probably need to bring more rookies because somehow they always seem to die.

Also just found my password to my account, first time posting in three years time!
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2012 19:54:25 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to jinx it, I just know I'm going to jinx it, buuuuuut... I'm on a real run of form at the mo, haven't lost anyone in like five missions. Wooo me.

(The key is to have three heavies with the shredder upgrade. An embarrassement of rockets)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ram 6 Nov 2012 20:26:45 3,471 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Anyone tried messing around with any mods yet?

Strongly considering trying out the Warspace one for a more fair, balanced and less frustrating C/I playthrough - though I assume that any sort of modding will mean no Achievements?

http://games.on.net/2012/10/top-five-mods-for-xcom-enemy-unknown-balance-tweaks-second-wave-options-and-much-more/

Edited by phAge at 16:29:42 06-11-2012
    I like the look of that anti cheat mod for classic+ironman. Effin annoying how often the aliens score a critical.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2012 20:32:58 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck! FUCK! Ignoring my own advice, half cover and impatience just cost me one of my heavies...

• phAge 6 Nov 2012 21:24:28 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, just started a C/I game with a couple of the Second Wave options on as well as the Warspace mod installed. Should be interesting - if nothing else I'm liking the random Rookie stating stats. Gives your troops a little extra touch of personality.
  • docrob 6 Nov 2012 23:16:49 289 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just completed my playthrough on Normal.

I have a terrible habit of getting nearly to the end of games and not actually finishing them, while I try to get every upgrade, et cetera. Tonight I decided I was just going to get the job done.

I didn't lose any troops on the final mission in the end, but I'd have been utterly shafted if I'd been on Ironman - had to reload a couple of times. Once when I faced the two Sectopods (eventually got them using Rift and a flying sniper) and again on the final room (looked impossible at first, but was actually pretty straightforward on my second attempt - once again depended on the flying sniper (who ended up with about 85 kills!) taking the boss down to 1 health, then needed one small bit of luck to hit a 45% shot with my Assault. I took two Sniper Colonels on the mission - the other one had In the Zone and was essential for clearing out the lower health trash mobs.

I fell totally in love with this game and then totally out of love with it. I'd give it 9/10 overall, but I won't be starting my planned C/I playthrough any time soon. I will do it eventually, but right now I reckon it would really annoy me.
  • Bremenacht 7 Nov 2012 15:04:57 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh when this game rewards you, it feels like it does it in spades. Just done the first terror mission on the latest CI game and got excellents all round. \o/ I didn't manage that on NI.

Getting the hang of it now. Grenades are definitely my favourite weapon, both for ensuring kills against low-health types like sectoids, but also for peeling open strong alien positions by blowing up their cover. Why take a scope, when you can use a grenade to open a position and give yourself 20%+ extra aim? Ok, you can only use grenades the once, and everything will change when bigger bastards enter the fray. Hopefully, I'll have arc'ed myself enough plasma guns by then.

No more rocket-hording with my heavies: they're useless when they're dead. I use rockets sooner now, rather than later.

Flanking attempt are now a thing of the past. Everyone stays in a group, at grenade-safe distances. For every one alien, at least three grunts will have LoS. Almost everyone goes on overwatch at the end of every 'quiet' turn.

No surprises! By the numbers! Textbook only! Frostiness guaranteed! (Except when someone panics. That's a messy business)

Edited by Bremenacht at 15:09:11 07-11-2012
  • LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2012 15:10:59 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Absolute BADASSES! Brem, let them come to you, and damn right no surprises.

• Bremenacht 7 Nov 2012 15:15:31 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes! And if they don't come to me, then a heavy rocket will come to them! Haha!
  • AaronTurner 7 Nov 2012 15:17:02 7,594 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the idea of random stats for recruits. Anyone tried it yet? Does it make a difference?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 15:27:11
    For anyone having difficulty with the last encounter, I pissed it by having one of my snipers throw a recon grenade. This revealed the location of the main Ethereal and all of his bodyguards, but without revealing my guys' location to it. I then just sniped it with my other 2 scope-enabled snipers and didn't have to kill any of the 5-8 bodyguards.
  • phAge 7 Nov 2012 16:14:40 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I like the idea of random stats for recruits. Anyone tried it yet? Does it make a difference?
    I'm trying it out now, along with some other Second Wave options enabled and the Warspace mod installed. Only played one mission yet, but it really seems to have hit the sweet sport (for me) between too-easy Normal and frustratingly hard Classic, and with some of the lost mechanics from the old UFO back in.

So far I like.
  • jampar 7 Nov 2012 18:38:35 59 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I quite liked the random stats of the original. especially when they suited different "classes" am sure you could make these classes almost mega if chosen correctly - another layer of strategy. wonder why it was not included from the start?
  • tincanrocket 7 Nov 2012 18:53:52 2,905 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any way of enabling random stats on the 360 version? Do I have to beat the game first?
  • LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2012 20:02:44 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a mod tincan, so not an option for the 360 version I'm afraid.

• phAge 7 Nov 2012 20:02:47 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unfortunately, no - they're probably in the code somewhere, but it takes a mod to enable them.
  • docrob 7 Nov 2012 21:09:49 289 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like I lied. Started a C/I game today and so far it's been fun. I think I got a bit fed up with the hordes of powerful mobs - more fun when you have crappy guns, but the enemy are weaker.

3 deaths from 3 missions so far. Have one Sniper Corporal. Also my first Scottish soldier. Didn't know the game treated Scotland as being separate from the UK. Then again, it's set in the future ;)
  • phAge 7 Nov 2012 21:13:14 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to say that I recommend anyone who found/feared Classic Ironman to be too hard or too much of a chore try out Warspace/Second Wave. Makes for a noticeably harder game that N/I, but it feels "fair hard" not "game hard".

An example is how it handles shooting and getting injured: When modded, you are no longer as good as dead with a flanking shot, but with massively prolonged recovery times, you really don't want your star soldier getting gravly wounded. Curently Assault Sgt. Ellen Ripley is spending the last of her 42 days out of action...

There are tons of little touches: Laser weapons are more accurate than plasma, but do less damage (to aliens and cover), pistols need reloading, research times are longer so labs are more useful, etc. and along with the unshackled AI it is just a more enjoyable experience that the IMO too harsh C/I.
  • tincanrocket 8 Nov 2012 09:10:12 2,905 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LB and phAge - ah well, I have it on PC too, but am enjoying lazing on the sofa and playing it (yeah, yeah, I know I could move my PC into the living room, but my better half wasn't keen when I last did that - I need to sort out some quieter fans for it!)
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 09:48:34
    Finally purchased this last week for the beautiful price of 22.99 in Game on xbox, couldn't believe the price but didn't query it.

Think I'm still in the tutorial, which is annoyingly restricive.
    Completed about 4 missions now and I must say I love it :).
    Run and gun a personal favourite move at the moment but assume it wont be as effective later on. Stopped playing for a few days with Halo 4 out but now that has been sold to enable me to give my 100 percent to this little gem.

Jack O'Neil leading from the front with Sam Carter and Teal'C backing him up. :cool:
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 17:34:23
    Loving this. Any base building recommendations? Trying to get more satellites up but taking forever, need more scientists, need more room, need more power! So still have only two up.

Doing fine with the action part though.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Nov 2012 17:38:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good deal
  • LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2012 17:41:17 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which continent is your base on? That should in part guide your priorities. Satellite coverage is a key early step wherever though (although noting what I've said above that my CI playthrough is only successful when I priotised elsewhere).

Also don't you have like three kids and a career? This game will eat your free time, be warned.

• Trafford 8 Nov 2012 17:52:30 5,620 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    22.99 in Game? That will be one of their "nearly new" copies.
    Tsk, after everything that was said in this here thread.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 18:25:05
    Nope brand new 39.99 reduced to 22.99 for half term sale. Sealed with code etc. I don't buy second hand.
  • phAge 8 Nov 2012 21:57:43 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just experienced my first teleporting enemy - Thin Man suddenly appearing inside a UFO in a corner with no possible entrance. Killed my high-level Assault and made me realise I wasn't really having fun any more.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Nov 2012 22:32:58 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Second campaign, second loss. Not bothering to name soliders or customise how they look

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Trafford 8 Nov 2012 23:22:51 5,620 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't buy second hand, but sell games on.
    That's a skewed policy if you're into "supporting devs"
  • Page

of 126 First / Last