XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 76

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Moot_Point 1 Nov 2012 23:10:16 4,492 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nah, its down to it not being programmed or tested properly. (If any beta testing has been done at all)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• RedSparrows 1 Nov 2012 23:25:35 23,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've hardly had any trouble. Troll on.

Edited by RedSparrows at 23:26:26 01-11-2012
  • Moot_Point 1 Nov 2012 23:31:34 4,492 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well no doubt you are playing the bug free console version.

================================================================================

• shamblemonkee 1 Nov 2012 23:34:14 14,577 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had 3 freezes (where the enemy turn would not end) and 1 enemy teleport in 60hrs of play on PC. hardly crippling. trolololaway
  • Moot_Point 1 Nov 2012 23:36:53 4,492 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh, so other forumites are allowed to complain about this shoddy game, but i am a troll. Fuck you very much!

• Bremenacht 2 Nov 2012 00:03:27 19,334 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I smell whingebag. I cannot see hum, but I can smell him. Just in the same way that whenever there's a bit of rain, a stench rises from the sewer.
  • captbirdseye 2 Nov 2012 00:37:20 5,263 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Oh, so other forumites are allowed to complain about this shoddy game, but i am a troll. Fuck you very much!
    Yawn - like  a stuck record with your constant whining about this game.

Edited by captbirdseye at 00:37:42 02-11-2012
  • angerisagift 2 Nov 2012 00:39:17 1,947 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's my 2 cents - I have both PC and Xbox versions. PC - about 40 hours played. Xbox - about 20 hours played so far.

Bugs? PC - sometimes the SHIV has no option to fire (Happened on one out of half a dozen playthroughs)
    Xbox - unreadable disc/crash/freeze. Happened twice.

And thats it. So in my experience, not particularly buggy at all.

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• Khanivor 2 Nov 2012 01:17:47 41,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Over 40 hours on PC. Other than hover SHIVs not working properly, (no fire) I've not had a single technical problem.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Nov 2012 02:53:57 8,607 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 360 version is buggier than most games I have played but not to the extent that it makes the game unplayable.

What does make the game unplayable for me is that I got a free upgrade to an enormous hotel room a few days ago and I cannot get to the HDMI channel on the new tv.
  • AaronTurner 2 Nov 2012 07:05:32 7,845 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was listening to the Giant bomb podcast the other day and they had a whole section on the large number of bugs in the game. I don't think this is just one or two bitter people claiming g their are bugs. When you have a big that destroys your 10+ hr classic Ironman save tell me it's not a serious bug.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game but it's an extremely buggy game and they need to sort it out quickly.
  • RedSparrows 2 Nov 2012 08:08:20 23,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am not suggesting you are bitter for complaining. I am suggesting mootpoint has spent all his time complaining about a game he said he never wanted, then bought it and carried on in the same vein: bugs being a part of that, all part of a relentlessly boring vendetta...

Anyway, a patch is surely in the works, one would think.

Edited by RedSparrows at 08:10:04 02-11-2012
  • Saucy 2 Nov 2012 08:28:25 2,611 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    ....your soldiers will be goddamn heroes.
    Assualt Col. Matt 'Blitz' Cox, longest serving veteran with over 50 missions completed. Single handedly saved Xcom (and hence the whole earth) many times. I don't think I've ever been so attached a character.
    Finished my playthrough last night. I bought it purely based on some of the experiences posted in this thread. Not a game I'd usually go for, but really glad I did. Excellent game. There's other things I want to play, but I'll be having a crack at C/I somepoint in the future. Ended with 512 kills and 16 deaths.

I picked the previously mentioned Assualt Col. Matt 'Blitz' Cox as my volunteer. Fucking hero, a little part of me died with him

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 09:00:30 02-11-2012
  • SlackMaster 2 Nov 2012 08:55:07 3,134 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I finished my first play through last night on Normal. 6 deaths (although they were including the 3 from the tutorial mission), not sure how many kills, about 230 days in-game completion and no lost missions.

I just concentrated on getting carapace armor first, then lasers and then concentrated on researching armors as a priority. Got satalites up as soon as I could and UFO interceptors.

Took it slow during the missions and and if my hit % was too low or there wasn't any targets I'd put my squad in overwatch.

Later in the game Ghost armor was vital to getting my squad in position without aliens taking shots at them or just setting them up for ambushes.

I was gutted at the end as well when my chosen soldier had to bite the big one.

Edited by SlackMaster at 08:55:25 02-11-2012
  • shamblemonkee 2 Nov 2012 08:56:17 14,577 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Moot_Point Yeah but most other people are discussing actual issues not jumping about making absurd claims of the game not being tested at all. start talking sensibly and you'll get a more sensible response.

That said you've made your position on the game clear so there's no real reason to keep dragging the thread down and round and round.
  • glaeken 2 Nov 2012 09:13:34 11,234 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    There's no need, is there? The game does all your savepoints on ironman?
    It does save for you mid match. I know this because I have had one hang when I was right near the end of a mission and when I loaded up again I was at exactly the same point in the mission. I think it actually saves after each turn.

On bugs my one hang is all I have seen. No teleporting as of yet for me.
  • RedSparrows 2 Nov 2012 11:05:34 23,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It saves at the end of every Alien turn - when you get control the globe spins in the bottom right.
  • magicpanda 2 Nov 2012 11:10:14 13,456 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Patch Incoming
  • LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 11:11:58 44,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Average mission fail count worldwide is 0.07 or something. Shows what a bunch of slack jawed faggots are out there playing this game.

Everyone should man up - Ironman or Cry-onman! Or something.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 11:14:20 44,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Patch Incoming

Snapshot penalty should no longer apply when Overwatching without first moving.
    Very interesting indeed.

Easy Difficulty is now easier.
    Jesus.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:14:36 02-11-2012

• AaronTurner 2 Nov 2012 11:16:02 7,845 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No mention of the AI spawning bug which I would assume is one of the more serious bugs out there? The PSI school only giving you two slots out of three to train soldiers is also annoying but not game breaking.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 11:19:40 44,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are these PC bugs? Not seen the Psi one.

• LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2012 11:21:17 44,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, doesn't that snapshot penalty patch completely remove the need for the sniper 'opportunist' perk?

• RedSparrows 2 Nov 2012 11:47:18 23,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Average mission fail count worldwide is 0.07 or something. Shows what a bunch of slack jawed faggots are out there playing this game.

Everyone should man up - Ironman or Cry-onman! Or something.
    Pathetic.

(I warrant even some of the self-pronounced UFO hardcore who said this game would suck don't play on Ironman...)
  • AaronTurner 2 Nov 2012 11:59:58 7,845 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd imagine that number is because quite often you don't need to finish a mission to know your save is fucked.
  • Saucy 2 Nov 2012 12:04:39 2,611 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is that based on people who've finished the game/reached Game Over? Maybe if people's games are going wrong, they jump ship before the Doom Tracker hit's maximum level. I played on Normal, lost plenty of men but never failed a mission.

I also wouldn't read too much into those stats, some of them were clearly wrong when I finished my game last night.

Average Shot damage...Mine 5.4....World 29.6!!!
  • agparrot 2 Nov 2012 12:41:27 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Snapshot penalty should no longer apply when Overwatching without first moving.

Actually, doesn't that snapshot penalty patch completely remove the need for the sniper 'opportunist' perk?
    I *think* that what they mean is that the Snapshot upgrade - that allows you to move and fire as a sniper, ordinarily modifies your "to hit" chance if you move and fire, by incurring a 20% "to hit" penalty. This penalty should also be carried over into your overwatch fire if you move and then go into overwatch. I think there is also a global accuracy penalty for *all* reaction fire, to which the snapshot move-and-fire penalty is ordinarily added, and it is this global penalty that the 'oppurtunist' perk negates.

The "bug" as described sounds as if snipers who have the snapshot upgrade are incurring this 20% move-and-fire penalty, even if they remain stationary on their turn and go straight into overwatch. I've certainly noticed that even in stationary overwatch my snapshot sniper seems much less accurate than the ones I've given squad sight... but I've only ever chosen snapshot for one sniper because squad sight is so much more valuable with the softly-softly, hide-behind-a-tree approach.

God, it made sense when I started typing it out, and now I'm not sure whether I've made it more confusing or not. It's perfectly clear in my head.

Edited by agparrot at 12:42:21 02-11-2012
  • shamblemonkee 2 Nov 2012 12:49:25 14,577 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://thesupacoowackiestblogintheuniverse.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/austin-powers-crosseyed.jpg

Edited by shamblemonkee at 12:51:40 02-11-2012
  • agparrot 2 Nov 2012 12:51:57 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @shamblemonkee Oh no, I had no idea my webcam was operating while I typed that out!

..|. ;-)
  • Derblington 2 Nov 2012 13:49:56 22,098 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

I played ironman and didn't fail a single mission on normal, and I'd wager that's where the majority of players are. It's nothing to do with the ironman modifier, it's just the game is actually pretty easy on anything less than classic, at which point you will lose a lot (obviously, if people are rolling back saves from here and upwards then it's going to skew the figures, unless they are taken from the point of failure regardless of rollbacks).
  • Page

of 130 First / Last