Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    29 hours since Tuesday?

I need to be a rich housewife.
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 12:21:43 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Petrarch wrote:
    The deco pack is a cosmetic thing, basically lets you change the look of the armour you're wearing. The standard armour you start with looks more heavily plated and robust with the deco pack.
    Thankyou!

Also I like that you have out-and-out lost a game, and are heading back in straight away. Did you neglect all the other areas while you ploughed all your resources into research?
  • rudedudejude 12 Oct 2012 12:25:36 2,161 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it this not down to 20 yet? :D

I really really want to pick it up this weekend but no way in hell can I afford to shell out 40 on a game!!
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 12:28:32 3,425 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Thankyou!

Also I like that you have out-and-out lost a game, and are heading back in straight away. Did you neglect all the other areas while you ploughed all your resources into research?
    A quick bite to eat then it's straight back in aye :)

The research was part of the problem - I ploughed into getting better armour and laser weaponary and ended up with a shortfall of engineers so I couldn't deploy it soon enough to help. This had a knock on effect of my sat coverage being fairly woeful so this time I think I'll need to give that a bit of priority so there's some early days coverage on more funding nations.

March and April both went smoothly, but it was downhill all the way from May sadly.
  • AccidentProne 12 Oct 2012 12:31:05 1,162 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there any way to specify the class of your new recruit soldiers, is this already pre-determined or does it depend on what they got up to in their first mission? Couldn't see a way to change it last night after foolishly losing most of my main squad and trying to train up a bunch of rookies.
  • munki83 12 Oct 2012 12:33:12 1,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got my copy through the post installed it and Steam decides it wants to download an additonal 2gb of stuff on top...... not fun on my crap connection so need to find something to do for the next hour or so
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 12:34:43 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ilovechips wrote:
    Played an hour of the tutorial last night, it was foul, if that was the demo I would have avoided the game. I blame lack of sleep, looking forward to a restart without the tutorial later today.
    I can only assume that the tutorial sections, which roll on for ages in the actual game and encompass missions, base stuff and allsorts, have been designed for people who have never played an XCOM game before, and possibly never played a turn based or strategy kind of game before. It really is quite woeful hand-holding, and even the second mission in the demo is just a linear, limited thing.

Given that there is an assumption that modern audiences seem to focus on just shooting people in the face and saying "OO-Rah" and "We're getting our shit pushed in", I suppose they had to try and craft something in the tutorial that would start simple, and work through to encompass as many of the game mechanics as possible.

In the full game, it kind of works eventually (sort of). In the demo it is indeed a narrow travesty!
  • thedaveeyres 12 Oct 2012 12:37:05 10,856 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's wrong with the tutorial? Seemed alright to me.

Of course they are designed for someone who has never played an XCOM game before. Anything else would be madness. You can turn it off before playing.

EDIT: Oh, people are talking about the demo...

Edited by thedaveeyres at 12:42:23 12-10-2012

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• BeheretiK 12 Oct 2012 12:42:57 883 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AccidentProne Not that I could see. I might have missed something obvious, but it looks like the game assigns them automatically when they become squaddies. Not sure if that is based on what they actually did in the missions though. You also get missions where you can get specific class soldiers at advanced ranks as well - really handy when they come up assuming you are in a position to take that mission.

Oh, there is a perk called "New Guy" that you can get in the Officer training school that will set all your soldiers to squaddies so you can then see what classes they are.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• thedaveeyres 12 Oct 2012 12:56:25 10,856 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By the second tutorial mission, you don't even have to go where it tells you. Then it pretty much says, "Right off you go then, kill the rest". I'm speaking here as a seasoned veteran of the series - if I can take it, anyone can. :)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 13:15:39 9,694 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just picked up my copy. This afternoon at work is going to suck.
  • GiarcYekrub 12 Oct 2012 13:15:51 3,732 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sodding Sainsbury's didn't have it on the shelf and numpty on the help desk had no idea what a stock control system is
  • rudedudejude 12 Oct 2012 13:19:41 2,161 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remember kids, they are trying to get sales so need to bear in mind your average CODhead level of intelligence on consoles.

Edited by rudedudejude at 13:21:19 12-10-2012
  • jampar 12 Oct 2012 13:28:53 59 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine Arrived. Shall i ditch work and go home to play. mmmmm
  • GiarcYekrub 12 Oct 2012 13:29:42 3,732 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Must be stock problems no copies at Morrisons either and Argos have it as an online only deal :( weekend ruined
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 13:31:32
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Must be stock problems no copies at Morrisons either and Argos have it as an online only deal :( weekend ruined
    Amazon sold out to I believe.
  • fletch7100 12 Oct 2012 13:36:01 7,206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right will be back on this tonight and the weekend. My first classic ironman failed after 130 days

Trying normal mode and no where near as tense or worrying. I'm sure I got a few more grey hairs playing on Classic.

Probably carry on with normal just to enjoy myself, research and make everything I can and destroy those aliens. Before they destroy me on the classic and if I ever get there impossible playthrough
  • munki83 12 Oct 2012 13:39:46 1,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still waiting to play here :( Steam says 30 minutes, about 800mb to download, so I'm going to go tidy the kitchen to kill time....stupid crap connection
  • Bremenacht 12 Oct 2012 13:41:05 17,778 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Afternoon off. Disc installing onto 360. Kettle on. Biscuits - damn: no biscuits. Ah well. A weekend of TV-hogging begins.
  • L_Franko Moderator 12 Oct 2012 13:43:01 9,694 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No biscuits? Tesco deliver.
  • RedSparrows 12 Oct 2012 13:43:21 22,259 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the shops don't have this I'm gonna cry.
  • Archronos 12 Oct 2012 13:51:25 22 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I've missed something in the tutorial - in regards to satellites, how do you actually launch more? I had one when I started and got given another one for free that I launched over the US, putting me to 2/2. So I built a Satellite Uplink adjacent to my first with the plan to extend my global coverage and this put me to 2/5 but I don't know how to launch those 3 additional satellites that I have the capacity for. Do I get the ability to make them later on?
  • Tryhard 12 Oct 2012 13:53:59 3,899 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tim Kjell 8 kills in 3 missions,Elton Muuja not so lucky when a Thin man fell on his head.Getting tweets from other Dice members now about what is going on.

Absolutely love it already.And if you really get into the naming of the squad it just adds even more nail biting to it.Going really slowly and enjoying each moment as it unfolds.

Now how do I break the news to Elton?
  • Petrarch 12 Oct 2012 13:55:40 3,425 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Archronos wrote:
    I think I've missed something in the tutorial - in regards to satellites, how do you actually launch more? I had one when I started and got given another one for free that I launched over the US, putting me to 2/2. So I built a Satellite Uplink adjacent to my first with the plan to extend my global coverage and this put me to 2/5 but I don't know how to launch those 3 additional satellites that I have the capacity for. Do I get the ability to make them later on?
    The uplinks control the satellites, but your engineering crews have to construct the actual satellite for deployment, they don't come free with the uplink.

It's a pity you don't get a free one with each nexus/uplink as that would be damn handy.

Started a new game, Cpl. Dwayne Hicks takes point and is followed by an all British team consisting of Ryder, Wilson and McTaggart, all in Master Chief green. I have to concede that I've dropped to easy mode however - it's been such a long time since I last played XCOM or anything like it that I think I need to get my bearings again before going higher.

Edited by Petrarch at 13:57:48 12-10-2012
  • SlackMaster 12 Oct 2012 13:58:47 3,132 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like I was saying in another thread, my copy of XCOM for the PC arrived last night, and as it requires activation on steam to play, it wouldn't let me install it, stating the game has not been released yet.

I was pretty annoyed as if I'd got the console version I could have started paying it straight away. It was only 27 on PC and I kind of felt like I should try and get some use out of my gaming laptop, but it's shit like that, that dissuade me from buying pc games.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• Archronos 12 Oct 2012 14:03:03 22 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Archronos wrote:
    Do I get the ability to make them later on?
    Petrarch wrote:The uplinks control the satellites, but your engineering crews have to construct the actual satellite for deployment, they don't come free with the uplink.

It's a pity you don't get a free one with each nexus/uplink as that would be damn handy.
    That's what I thought. My Engineers don't know how to make those yet then, they're not in the Make Items window or the Build Facilities. Is there a point in the game where they can or is there something I've not researched or built yet which is blocking me?
  • agparrot 12 Oct 2012 14:04:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Archronos wrote:
    Archronos wrote:
    Do I get the ability to make them later on?
    Petrarch wrote:The uplinks control the satellites, but your engineering crews have to construct the actual satellite for deployment, they don't come free with the uplink.

That's what I thought. My Engineers don't know how to make those yet then, they're not in the Make Items window or the Build Facilities. Is there a point in the game where they can or is there something I've not researched or built yet which is blocking me?
    In the make items window you have to tab right... there are three tabs, see? One for soldier stuff, one for plane stuff, and then the third one is like satellites and so forth. It has a little picture of a satellite on it!
  • Page

of 130 First / Last