The Secret World Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Poontash 15 Jun 2012 19:07:37 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just played a bit of the latest beta weekend. As much as I wanted to enjoy this (because of setting, story, ability wheel customisation etc.) I can't because they got the most important thing wrong; the gameplay.
    Why do so many massive companies seem to miss the most important thing (or at least the thing you spend 90% of your time doing) that WoW got right? Combat!
    When I click a button in combat the ability or spell that triggers just feels "off". I don't know how to explain it but in WoW everything just feels tight. Animations are perfectly timed to cast times, spells shoot off on time, enemies react in time. The Secret World just feels floaty and it makes me want to cry (not really).
    Now I need to decide if I want to keep my pre-order and maybe play the free month just for the story.

I haven't played WoW in a year or so but the only other MMO I've tried that feels good is Rift. Even SWTOR wasn't as smooth and creamy.
  • SClaw 17 Jun 2012 10:31:47 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Clearly you didn't play the latest beta rodpad. The animations are a lot better. Aside from some wonky menus and some timing issues on ability triggers I think it's pretty solid.

It'll be even better three months after launch though. It's not a preorder game but it's a game that will grow into something pretty good in time. Questing in particular is a lot more interesting than anything I've seen in other mmos.

Cutscenes are fucking terrible though. Those playdough faces are pre-90s.
  • Poontash 17 Jun 2012 16:39:31 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After playing more hours over the weekend I'm looking forward to the full release. The customisation in the combat and investigation missions are awesome. It did take a few hours to get used to both of them which will probably annoy a lot of people.

Putting dead-end clues amongst proper clues can send you running around the game (and google) for a long time with no way of knowing if you're going the wrong way. Still more fun than following glowing trails to highlighted areas (but there is still lots of that).

If the pvp is good next weekend then I'm easily sold.
  • ZuluHero 17 Jun 2012 17:43:53 3,668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love it too. Moreso than guild wars 2 atm. Only in the town overrun with zombies but i really like how different it feels from the typical mmo fare.

i like the quest stuff too. Not always just follow the waypoints. you have to look in the environment for clues, such as the kdycode being the same as the first psalm used on a sunday service. Really good!

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:45:22 17-06-2012
  • curtlikesmeat 19 Jun 2012 23:02:32 126 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Poontash wrote:
    I haven't played WoW in a year or so but the only other MMO I've tried that feels good is Rift. Even SWTOR wasn't as smooth and creamy.
    I haven't played TSW but I agree very much with this - that feeling of instant response is hard to leave once you've had it - EQ2 always felt very floaty to me (probably because it was poorly optimised when I played), but anyway yes, WoW did get it spot on with the responsiveness.

Edited by curtlikesmeat at 23:03:15 19-06-2012
  • Ranger_Ryu 19 Jun 2012 23:33:39 975 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    anyone who wants a beta key for the last beta weekend let me know Funcom have sent me an extra one to invite a friend so......
  • Mr_interesting_2011 20 Jun 2012 11:56:31 93 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got an extra one too if anyone is interested...
  • Mr_interesting_2011 20 Jun 2012 12:11:36 93 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Widge Moderator 21 Jun 2012 00:17:06 12,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only just watched the video of this, looks interesting!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Poontash 21 Jun 2012 08:37:17 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have an extra beta code for this weekend if anybody wants one.

I was sure it was open to everyone though so why are they sending out extra buddy codes?
  • Mr_interesting_2011 26 Jun 2012 12:16:19 93 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So...is anyone planning to get this? It's out in less than a week...

I was tempted but the monthly sub was announced at £12.99!

Funcom have just 'reduced' it to £11.49 but I'm still not paying that especially as it's launching with a cash shop as well.

Think I'll wait until it inevitably goes F2P
  • uiruki 26 Jun 2012 12:35:21 3,531 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahaha, not a chance. Shopto want 35 for the box, too.
  • SClaw 26 Jun 2012 15:06:52 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1... 12... 12.99? Fucking hell...

They are so joking with that shit. I'm not buying it but that actually made me mad anyway. Where do they get off when the real primo MMOs don't even dare push it past 9-quid?

12.99 my arse.
  • Poontash 27 Jun 2012 06:49:12 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm gonna play for the first month. Hopefully at cancellation they'll ask why.

£12.99 a month is why!
  • Fallen_Angel 28 Jun 2012 23:11:36 89 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, thats killed it for me, cancelled my preorder. I was ready to give this game the benefit of the doubt, I enjoyed the mechanics in the beta weekends, rough edges and all, but to hell paying £11.49 (Because they're doing us a favour reducing it to £2.50 more than most), and I'm not paying 33 quid for a game I know I'm only going to be able to access for a month. If they come to their senses before my head start leeway ends and drop the sub prices, I'll grab a copy, otherwise GW2 awaits.
  • YenRug 29 Jun 2012 15:40:00 1,763 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I decided just the other night that I was actually going to jump in on pre-order whilst it was still available; even with everyone complaining about the graphics, and I should be top of the pile with my PC, I've realised it's not about the graphics/gameplay, for me. I'm actually enjoying the setting and the storylines, I want to see more of it beyond the 4 beta weekends I've played. Now, do I see myself subbing beyond the included 30 days (+ early start)? I have doubts at the price level they've plumped for, unless the "multiple month" discounts are something amazing.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what the bonus items I unlocked through the Secret War stat up to, see if they make much of a difference. I know I ended up buying through Amazon, purely for the Wolf pet, not the best price (though close) but they were the only UK source for it and some countries weren't offered it at all.
  • YenRug 29 Jun 2012 16:23:52 1,763 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't take you up on that bet, even if they did introduce some amazing sub deals, 5-6 months is the longest I've ever put into any MMORPG and that was F2P.
  • ZuluHero 13 Jul 2012 15:08:17 3,668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    so is anyone playing this at all?

If so what server? Faction? etc?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Jul 2012 09:05:28 24,576 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On a bit of a whim, I decided to treat myself to this over the weekend.

You know what? I really like it.

I love the setting and atmosphere of the game. Trudging through New York, before heading down some trippy tunnel into small town Maine is just such a nice change from bright green forests and pissing elves. It doesn’t take itself too seriously either, which means it can really let itself go in places.

Yes, the combat is pretty much your standard MMO fare, but having two weapons opens things nicely and running around with dual lugers and a massive sledge hammer is far more interesting than another Mighty Sword of Um’Gra’Larrrrrrrrrr +1. Outside of the combat though the story telling is great and the investigation missions are really rather good. It’s all just a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Whether or not I keep on subscribing will depend on how it continues to pan out and how much content there actually is, but so far I’m more than pleasantly surprised.
  • ZuluHero 16 Jul 2012 09:31:13 3,668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I took the plunge on Saturday too. Its actually a really great experience. I love the modern day setting and the quests are really varied.

I started in London, and exploring the streets feels so different from running around the typical forest of normal starter zones.

The investigation quests are really great and really make you think. I love the level of detail that Funcom have gone to, From in-game environment clues to making dummy websites that you have to access from in game in order to get the information you need to complete a quest. It just feels a cut above the typical MMO fare.

Community seems great too. There are the typical mmo comparisons going on and people seem to come down a bit too hard on "mission spoilers" being said in /general (I can sort of see the point, half the fun is figuring the quests out for yourself) but apart from that everyone is a friendly lot.

Am I right in thinking that there is only a single server with everyone in little branches? (I think theyre calling them dimensions?) Is there anyway to cross into another "dimension"?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Jul 2012 09:48:15 24,576 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you must be able to change servers pretty easily. I got a message last night that I'd lost connection to the server and it was going to switch me across to another. 30 seconds later I was back in the same place and able to carry on.
  • BeheretiK 16 Jul 2012 09:58:26 859 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you log on you go onto the server that you created your character, for example I am on Grim. These are all shards (or dimensions) of the game world so the chat you see is across all these dimensions. If you press F9 in game you will see which dimension you are in - Grim is dimension 6 from memory. To change dimension all you need is to get invited by someone from another dimension to meet up. In this way you can group with other people/friends no matter which server you created on initially. Also, I think it means you can join a Cabal (guild) from any dimension as well.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• BeheretiK 16 Jul 2012 10:36:38 859 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and interesting link with detail of what is being planned content wise for TSW:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1225583#post1225583

Sounds promising. If they can deliver what they promise in the link then it will go a long way to keeping people subscribed. In general I was never planning to play it past GW2 release anyway but if they keep adding good content, like more investigation quests for example, then I will be sorely tempted to keep going...

• Hypercube 17 Jul 2012 18:51:29 976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been playing it for about a week now and I'm really enjoying.

There are areas that could use a polish but I like the quests, I really like the skill wheel and the setting and lore are excellent. I hope it continues to be this much fun in later levels.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Jul 2012 09:12:12 24,576 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, so admittedly I’m still only in Kingsmouth, but it seems like I’ve played this for ages.

So far, this is definitely the most interesting and possibly the best MMO I have played.

Shows what can be done when a developer actually puts some effort into doing something different.
  • BeheretiK 18 Jul 2012 09:55:48 859 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just gone to the next major zone (Egypt) which is making a nice change. Loved most of Solomon Island though especially Kingsmouth and Savage Coast. Blue Mountain was good but parts of it was a bit annoying. Still taking my time though and trying to do as many of the cool quests as I can. Also been doing some PVP which, if you are in a strong faction, can be loads of fun. Unfortunately I am Dragon so that is not the case a lot of the time! Oh, and PVP is great for XP as well - lots of SP and AP points to be had...

Found a nice site with TSW guides (http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com) which has some handy links like crafting and gear guides:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:craft-patterns

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:talisman-mechanics

My name in-game is BeheretiK - look me up if you guys fancy some questing, instances, chat...

• Page

of 5 First / Last