The Staggeringly Incompetent Moron thread Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• DFawkes 10 Jul 2013 10:35:29 23,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I have a colleague, well a regional colleague, who has spelt their own name three different ways to me in correspondence.
    Was it Prince?

Edited by DFawkes at 10:35:48 10-07-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Salaman 10 Jul 2013 10:43:20 19,455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    =)
  • jablonski 10 Jul 2013 12:06:06 4,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    then when they told me it was fixed (some 600 + VAT, which I could live with)
    A fool and his money...
  • DFawkes 10 Jul 2013 12:06:55 23,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    A fool and his money...
    Weren't parted at that point, as per his story.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Rusty_M 10 Jul 2013 12:17:28 4,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Well, (s)he works in first line support for a reason... It's pretty moronic, though.
    :(
    /works in first line support

/isn't as bad as that though.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jul 2013 13:15:12 39,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Well, (s)he works in first line support for a reason... It's pretty moronic, though.

I honestly think one day we're going to get an incident that just reads "HOW DO I COMPUTAR?" through. You should see this shit we've got to deal with. Right now my my colleague is raging because we've had an incident through requesting a video conference is required to a site overseas. We have 4 problems with this:

1. The video conferencing system we use is currently on trial in selected UK sites ONLY
    2. The video conference date is in the past. They've logged it and sent it to us after the date it was required.
    3. This should be via a request, not an incident (A minor point in the face of the rest of it, but ITIL BITCHES!)
    4. We're not responsible for the video conferencing in the first place.

edit: It is worth pointing out they've had training on this system, they have full supporting documentation and really should know more about it than we do. They're just lazy or thick. Or both.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 13:16:32 10-07-2013

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 10 Jul 2013 15:14:34 7,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rusty_M

I'm sorry to hear that, Rusty. Never did it myself, but I've seen it close enough and it's a shitty job.

That said, if you're better than that, you won't be doing it for long. Unless it's your calling in life or something. ;-)

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 10 Jul 2013 15:17:11 7,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    jablonski wrote:
    A fool and his money...
    Weren't parted at that point, as per his story.
    We weren't parted, but the jablonski is right, even if he's being an arse about it, I would have parted with it if it had helped. A different projector of this class, even a used one, would cost more.

• CosmicFuzz 10 Jul 2013 16:57:06 25,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    A fool and his money...
    Haven't you got a Richard Donner film to critique or something.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• President_Weasel 10 Jul 2013 17:02:52 9,599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Last week one of our First Line support team asked me if our laptops would pick up Anti Virus updates if not connected to the network.

I would have liked to have seen the look on my face.
    If it's a laptop could it conceivably be taken somewhere that is not your office, and connected to the internet using someone's home internet or perhaps a coffee shop hotspot?
    She may be wondering if she can surf safely while she's out of the office.
  • boo 10 Jul 2013 17:10:09 11,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, the joy of dealing with idiots.

300 pages of them.

Just Another Lego Blog

• nickthegun 10 Jul 2013 17:11:58 61,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a load of cloud servers span up for various things, which are supposed to backup using the hosting companies control panel. A few days one of the cloud servers vanished from the backup control panel, so i raised a support ticket with them.

Bearing in mind that these are all windows servers, getting a response of 'Hi, can you send me a copy of /var/log/driveclient.log as well as a copy of /etc/driveclient/bootstrap.json?' was somewhat surprising.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Load_2.0 10 Jul 2013 17:15:57 19,513 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like someone has been crancking the ass temps on that projector.

Fairly common.
  • dominalien 10 Jul 2013 17:20:53 7,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's another time this has come up. I'm not familiar with that phrase.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jul 2013 18:13:13 39,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Last week one of our First Line support team asked me if our laptops would pick up Anti Virus updates if not connected to the network.

I would have liked to have seen the look on my face.
    If it's a laptop could it conceivably be taken somewhere that is not your office, and connected to the internet using someone's home internet or perhaps a coffee shop hotspot?
    She may be wondering if she can surf safely while she's out of the office.
    Well that's the thing that I was hoping to convey without over doing the detail, ee work in an environment where our desktops, laptops and mobiles are completely without Internet. It's our network or nothing. We our fortunate in that our users are not dumb and understand that. Somehow it seems this first line analyst does not.

I imagine the laptop will have been off the network for a good while (in a cupboard at his or her home no doubt) and Symantic will have been complaining about lack of updates.

I worked first line once, I'm sure the question would have been "Is there anyway to update this without travelling X miles to the nearest site?" The answer should have been apologetic, understanding but most importantly simple...

• Rusty_M 10 Jul 2013 18:28:07 4,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    dominalien wrote:

I honestly think one day we're going to get an incident that just reads "HOW DO I COMPUTAR?" through. You should see this shit we've got to deal with. Right now my my colleague is raging because we've had an incident through requesting a video conference is required to a site overseas. We have 4 problems with this:

1. The video conferencing system we use is currently on trial in selected UK sites ONLY
    2. The video conference date is in the past. They've logged it and sent it to us after the date it was required.
    3. This should be via a request, not an incident (A minor point in the face of the rest of it, but ITIL BITCHES!)
    4. We're not responsible for the video conferencing in the first place.

edit: It is worth pointing out they've had training on this system, they have full supporting documentation and really should know more about it than we do. They're just lazy or thick. Or both.
    I'm definitely not as bad as that. I suppose we're sort of first/second line really as we are tasked with resolving 80% of incidents and requests.

We filter out the "HOW DO I COMPUTAR"
    example conversation:
    User: My computer's not working
    Me: Ok, what's your name and which department are you calling from
    User: Stupid user from the Derp-artment
    Me: So what seems to be the problem?
    User: I was hoping you'd tell me.

When you get such bad information from the users, it's inevitable some calls get passed through to second/third line that really should result in the user being slapped.

It goes on. To be fair, I don't really mind it as a job, but I've only been doing it two years, and do plan to progress from this. Our software logs requests as incidents anyway. Request is a category of incident.

Gotta love ITIL (I really should resit that ITIL intermediate. I can't be bothered to find out how)

• cubbymoore 10 Jul 2013 18:52:55 36,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I work in books, and a few weeks ago I had to talk one of our agents, who's been selling books for 20 years, through the difficult process of navigating through Amazon. I'd forgotten to send him a sample, and told him he could look at it on amazon, and then had to tell him where to type the title, where the synopsis of the book is, how to scroll down in order to look at the synopsis, which bit specifically is the synopsis, yes, the bit that says synopsis and outlines what the book is about, and so on.

It really does stagger me how some people just do not do computers in any form. I mean this is a guy whose job in this day and age should be pretty much computer based, but isn't.

Edited by cubbymoore at 18:57:00 10-07-2013
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 19:26:15
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I work in books
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2013 07:09:10 39,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rusty_M I don't think you're getting my point... 9/10 times the HOW DO I COMPUTER stuff comes from 1st Line, not the users :)

• dominalien 11 Jul 2013 07:42:42 7,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You need to hire new people... Rusty looks competent.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2013 08:20:37 39,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All 1st Line call taking monkeys are terrible at their jobs.

I wasn't though, back in the day I was AWESOME at it naturally.

• superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 08:40:18 8,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did an employment law seat in my training contract and the best question I got asked was from an employer who wanted to to know how they could stop an employee (with obvious mental health issues) climbing up a particular tree every week and shouting at passers by. They wanted to know if it would be a reasonable adjustment to cut the tree down - they didn't want to get done for discrimination! The funny thing was that he moved on to climbing on top of the building and shouting just randomly up into the air.
  • cubbymoore 11 Jul 2013 08:59:20 36,503 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did they knock the building down?
  • S.J.Rogers 11 Jul 2013 09:00:26 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I did an employment law seat in my training contract and the best question I got asked was from an employer who wanted to to know how they could stop an employee (with obvious mental health issues) climbing up a particular tree every week and shouting at passers by. They wanted to know if it would be a reasonable adjustment to cut the tree down - they didn't want to get done for discrimination! The funny thing was that he moved on to climbing on top of the building and shouting just randomly up into the air.
    Really...!!!???
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2013 09:02:45 39,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

• superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 09:13:36 8,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Did they knock the building down?
    Heh
  • superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 09:15:29 8,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @S.J.Rogers yeah really. It's a fairly boring area of law technically, but some of things people get up to are amazing. The scary ones are some of things doctors get up to....
  • Deleted user 11 July 2013 09:23:24
    I was experiencing serious problems with a Windows laptop (Dell to be precise); it had been so infected with malware, viruses and whatnot that it was practically non-functional. I sent it to the local computer dealers in the hope that their technical experts could solve the problem.

They responded that they needed to format the hard drive and asked me whether I had backed up the data. I told them not to bother, and to return the machine. They asked me what I intended to do with it - and I replied, 'install Linux'.

To cut a long story short: I partitioned the hard drive, installed Ubuntu, and in the subsequent weeks and months, sorted out the Windows partition so that it was usable again, (though there may be some malware remaining). This happened about four years ago, and I still use that computer to this day, (mostly the Ubuntu side).

Edited by EndlessSolitude at 09:47:11 11-07-2013
  • Rusty_M 11 Jul 2013 12:21:08 4,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    @Rusty_M I don't think you're getting my point... 9/10 times the HOW DO I COMPUTER stuff comes from 1st Line, not the users :)
    Ouch. That's bass ackwards.

• dominalien 11 Jul 2013 12:31:43 7,027 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EndlessSolitude wrote:
    I was experiencing serious problems with a Windows laptop (Dell to be precise); it had been so infected with malware, viruses and whatnot that it was practically non-functional. I sent it to the local computer dealers in the hope that their technical experts could solve the problem.

They responded that they needed to format the hard drive and asked me whether I had backed up the data. I told them not to bother, and to return the machine. They asked me what I intended to do with it - and I replied, 'install Linux'.

To cut a long story short: I partitioned the hard drive, installed Ubuntu, and in the subsequent weeks and months, sorted out the Windows partition so that it was usable again, (though there may be some malware remaining). This happened about four years ago, and I still use that computer to this day, (mostly the Ubuntu side).
    I don't get it.

• Page

of 4 First / Last