Xbox One Page 400

• Page

of 1126 First / Last

• Fake_Blood 3 Oct 2013 10:32:04 4,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yea but steam is cheap, ms most definitely is not.
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 10:38:24 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    "No Jerks" on Xbox One thanks to the reputation system. Or rather going by comments on EG, Reddit, IGN, Gamespot etc all the jerks are buying PS4s instead :D
    Ba-dum-tish!
  • Steve_Perry 3 Oct 2013 10:41:00 5,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm pretty interested in skype integration with the console. The voice comms on Xbox 360 are dire by todays standards so if they can get that right and keep the good features like party chat it would be a bonus.
  • neems 3 Oct 2013 10:53:35 1,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Despite what people like to think, Steam is not the PC platform holder. It is a choice, not a requirement. It is also an online shop for downloadable content; the fact that it requires an internet connection is a bit of a no-brainer really.

Microsoft are of course welcome to impose any restrictions they see fit on their new hardware, but despite all the '180' jokes they have probably made the right decision in removing them, as it was going to cost them customers.
  • sanctusmortis 3 Oct 2013 11:03:01 9,807 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And MS STILL gave you choices. There's these things, right, that Steam doesn't have to deal with, right, called retailers. MS did. They couldn't cut them out of the deal, so they'd still have existed, and you'd still have choice with your games. Just like with Steam, except without a DRM free option (which doesn't exist on consoles anyway).
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 11:12:16 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was, from a personal perspective, really excited about the One's initial proposition. But even I could see it wouldn't fly with customers.

The 24hr check-in was restrictive as quite a few gamers still don't have their consoles connected 24/7, or live in patchy areas web-wise. That needed to change.

Secondly, although they did still have a trade-in scheme in place, they altered the existing relationship between customer and product (the games they buy on disc) without explaining what the change would actually entail. Even retailers didn't seem to know how it'd work.

If they'd gotten in front of it all and explained, in great detail, how game ownership, trading, lending, reselling and buying preowned, had worked - and explained it all right from the start - then I don't think the backlash would have been anywhere near as great.

I still wish/hope that they'd put a QR code on every disc that could be scanned with Kinect, and once done, that game is "locked" to you and your account, and the original DRM rules apply but with the benefits (discless play, friend sharing, etc) that came with it.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Oct 2013 11:17:38 4,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The problem was that if you remove the 24h check-in, all other policies had to go too because there was no way to check in.
  • ubergine 3 Oct 2013 11:18:40 2,897 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Did... Did you just compare the Xbox One with the holocaust?
    No, I used it to point out the offensive fallacy in tired "It's not a terrible idea, people just fear change and they react like startled cattle" arguments which could be applied to anything. That argument come from a condescending assumption that most people are fools and their strong aversion to being fucked over is just some kind of silly mistake they are making.

Also, we must never forget the Holocaust.

Now I'm imagining a Microsoft ad campaign: "Xbox One! It's much better than genocide!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• mcmonkeyplc 3 Oct 2013 11:19:40 39,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    The problem was that if you remove the 24h check-in, all other policies had to go too because there was no way to check in.
    They could make it 10 days or disc needs to be there. 24h was a little too tight.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mikew1985 3 Oct 2013 11:21:28 13,047 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @fake blood

Why though? A week would have been fine. Still enables the person to have a reasonable window of offline play time.

Anyway the new system is probably overall more beneficial to more people do I am glad they uturned on it but I hope there is a reasonable way for me to go all digital without paying over the odds. If there is ;happy days.

Edited by mikew1985 at 11:22:19 03-10-2013
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 11:27:27 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    That's what I meant with the QR code. Look, I don't know if it's practicable, but it's an idea: you voluntarily submit to the online-check DRM (and its benefits) by scanning a code on the disc. If you don't scan, it's like it is now (disc-based, no DRM); once you do scan, the game is "locked" to you and requires an online check to play. But like I say, it's voluntary.

Personally, I have a good, fast, reliable internet connection, I liked buying boxed games, but I'd rather not have to put the disc in the drive to play, and it'd be great to share my collection with my brother, who lives in London. So having the option to bring back the original DRM policies (as an option) would sit well with me.

Like I say, I don't know if it could work. Maybe eventually they'll square the circle.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Oct 2013 11:30:43 4,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's kids out there that finish a game in two days and then return/sell it on.
    That's what ms wanted to counter.

Say you buy a game, you install it, then give the disc to me and all I have to do is unplug my xbox and we would both be able to play it for a week, or ten days.
    That's only for offline games but still.
  • SIKFING 3 Oct 2013 11:41:09 62 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    That's what I meant with the QR code. Look, I don't know if it's practicable, but it's an idea: you voluntarily submit to the online-check DRM (and its benefits) by scanning a code on the disc. If you don't scan, it's like it is now (disc-based, no DRM); once you do scan, the game is "locked" to you and requires an online check to play. But like I say, it's voluntary.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot for the love of god get the image out of my head of some chap stood in front of his Tv, waving Xbone cases around like some demented Tesco self serve shopper.

That'll never happen I hope!!
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 11:43:29 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that's a point. How would they police it without everyone checking online? Gah.

I suppose worst case scenario (for publishers) is two people play one game, which probably won't be that common an occurrence, but still. Can't see them going for it.

Guess I'll have to stick to digital if I want "digital benefits".
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 11:45:06 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SIKFING wrote:
    Britesparc wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I cannot for the love of god get the image out of my head of some chap stood in front of his Tv, waving Xbone cases around like some demented Tesco self serve shopper.

That'll never happen I hope!!
    They've already said they're replacing alphanumeric codes with QR codes so you scan them with Kinect rather than typing the codes in. I'm not sure if it'll be an option (alphanumeric code plus QR code) or a total replacement, but yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing.

Edit - here ya go. Don't know if they've ever supplied more info than this.
    Edited by Britesparc at 11:48:14 03-10-2013

Edited by Britesparc at 11:48:28 03-10-2013

Edited by Britesparc at 11:49:29 03-10-2013
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2013 12:37:56 18,227 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone seen this?

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/hardware/60861-microsoft-research-demos-new-kinect-abilities/

PSN ID: Djini

• beastmaster 3 Oct 2013 12:46:08 12,013 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I see Turtle Beach have a new One product. I think they were there at the Expo. ShopTo are asking 150 for it.

https://www.turtlebeach.com/sites/new-products-summer-2013/xbox-one

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• sanctusmortis 3 Oct 2013 13:23:48 9,807 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Did... Did you just compare the Xbox One with the holocaust?
    No, I used it to point out the offensive fallacy in tired "It's not a terrible idea, people just fear change and they react like startled cattle" arguments which could be applied to anything. That argument come from a condescending assumption that most people are fools and their strong aversion to being fucked over is just some kind of silly mistake they are making.

Also, we must never forget the Holocaust.

Now I'm imagining a Microsoft ad campaign: "Xbox One! It's much better than genocide!"
    That's the worst backpedal ever.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2013 13:31:38 61,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, I dont suppose it matters to anyone, but I was pleased to see that some of the killer instinct demo units had Madcatz Fightsticks attached to them, meaning peripherals may not be useless after all.

Unless it was running on the PC....

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mikew1985 3 Oct 2013 14:12:18 13,047 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    There's kids out there that finish a game in two days and then return/sell it on.
    That's what ms wanted to counter.

Say you buy a game, you install it, then give the disc to me and all I have to do is unplug my xbox and we would both be able to play it for a week, or ten days.
    That's only for offline games but still.
    I get that argument, but it's not too strong imo. People could theoretically do this all the time on PC's with Steam logins - go offline and lend their details to friends.

Same can be sai of games played on PSN - without the actual online check in or necessity to "go offline" there.

It's not a big enough issue to mandate a 24 hour check in.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Oct 2013 14:36:57 39,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oh, I dont suppose it matters to anyone, but I was pleased to see that some of the killer instinct demo units had Madcatz Fightsticks attached to them, meaning peripherals may not be useless after all.

Unless it was running on the PC....
    I thought they were the new KI sticks that Madcatz are selling?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• beastmaster 3 Oct 2013 14:51:25 12,013 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I it this one, I can't remember?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mrpon 3 Oct 2013 14:56:14 29,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Britesparc hey fella, is the ITV Player on the XB1 and PS4? Y'know, for the wife *cough*

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Oct 2013 15:07:22 39,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @beastmaster That's definitely the button layout, with two button on the far edge as well. I just can't remember the design.

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 3 Oct 2013 15:09:00 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mrpon getting it on the 360 wasn't a priority, so I'm not holding my breath for next-gen. But I'm not in that area of the bizzness.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2013 15:51:08 61,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh. I could have sworn they were the SF ones. Makes sense really.

SCRATCH EVERYTHING I SAID. YOUR PERIPHERALS ARE STILL HEADING FOR THE TOILET.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• H1ggyLTD 3 Oct 2013 17:49:20 1,945 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see Turtle Beach have a new One product. I think they were there at the Expo. ShopTo are asking 150 for it.

https://www.turtlebeach.com/sites/new-products-summer-2013/xbox-one
    Pre-ordered those.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Oct 2013 18:50:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait a mo-mo!

... none of the current Turtle Beach headphones can be used on the Xbox One?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Oct 2013 18:53:27 39,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes they can. It's got an optical out and USB ports, so they'll be fine.

• CharlieStCloud 3 Oct 2013 18:55:21 5,530 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Yes they can. It's got an optical out and USB ports, so they'll be fine.
    *PHEW*

... if ever I buy one, this is good to know.

Ta!
  • Page

of 1126 First / Last