The Hunger Games Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:48:41
    I think a lot of the film-making in itself (at least, within the games) was hampered by the sheer level of violence in the book (the hallucination scene in the book has her wading through dead bodies that break apart and decay into liquid as she pushes through them, for instance), and that, in the action scenes, they attempted to cover it up by basically making it impossible to see what was actually happening. Plot-wise, there was a lot in the book that was much more fleshed out and better explained (for instance, they spend a good fifth of the book on just the train journey alone), so going in blind I can probably understand why you didn't get anything out of it.

That said, I did think how they handled exposition, by making it commentary, was a pretty good way to go about it.
  • Phattso Moderator 23 Mar 2012 15:55:54 12,721 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that without the violence to counterpoint anything else, it's an empty experience. And, mechanically and artistically, a poorly made film - whatever the reasons.

Not that I'm all about bloodthirsty films, but I think we needed to actually see a bit more of the horrific stuff to have any impact. It felt like The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe at times in shying away from that. But then that's what a 12A rating will get you, as you rightly say @meme.
  • localnotail 23 Mar 2012 15:56:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    I didn't mentioned I saw it with my girlfriend who has read and loved all the books and she hated the movie. She thought they trimmed way too much important stuff and went against the dark mood/violence present in the books. That and a few more complaints I can't remember.
    Were they about being given too much homework and how much boys smell?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 16:00:01
    Yeah. One thing I didn't like is how they massively toned down Snow. In the books he's basically made out to be the devil incarnate, and kills Seneca by strangling him in public, but in the movie he just seems to be a somewhat annoying old guy who happens to lead a totalitarian society. They tried to let the atmosphere and setup make him evil, rather than making him evil to enhance the setup, and it doesn't really work out. Especially as he's the main antagonist for the next two books.
  • Whizzo 24 Mar 2012 12:55:56 42,758 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed the film but there's so much missing that it felt like there's a longer cut waiting for its release on disc.

One thing I did think that was weird was District 13 being bombed out of existence doesn't get a mention, it would have taken all of a few seconds to have had that in the pre-Reaping film that Effie introduced. D13 is rather important after all.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 24 March 2012 14:10:15
    This has me thinking it's about time they revised the ratings system for films, the books are apparently very violent yet it didn't put off any of the teens who read them.

I feel they could have got away with showing them killing each other but no blood. And give it a new rating because of that. I would have liked the other contestents to have more screen time as well.

I enjoyed it though and I reckon it will be the most important film of the year mainly due to the fact it's the birth of another mega franchise. The 100m it will gross in 3 days confirms it. Anyway roll on the sequels.

Edited by Hindle at 14:14:31 24-03-2012
  • Scimarad 24 Mar 2012 14:31:08 8,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Whizzo

Did they definitely mention that in the first book? Obviously you hear much more about it later but it's been a while since I read them.
  • Whizzo 24 Mar 2012 14:53:59 42,758 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:Did they definitely mention that in the first book? Obviously you hear much more about it later but it's been a while since I read them.
    Yes and the threat of it happening again to anyone rebelling is made clear.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Kid_Icarus 24 Mar 2012 16:20:03 556 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    The Hunger Lames more like, amirite? Aaaahahahaha. Ha. Ha.

/slowly backs out of thread
    You know what they call The Hunger Games in Japan? A Battle Royale with cheese.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2012 17:17:46
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    You know what they call The Hunger Games in Japan? A Battle Royale with cheese.
    Heh.
  • damagedinc 24 Mar 2012 18:01:36 626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Forgive me if i have this wrong but i have not yet got round to the books or seen the film. Though the talk regarding violence intrests me. To think that in this day and age kids could not cope with child on child violence seems a bit ancient.

Much like 12a was brought in maybe its time for a 15a. When you bare in mind the jump in what can be shown between ratings and how it affects the experiance its a shame that a film like hunger games loses impact based on 'think about the children mentality'

As much as it can be used well. Avp requiem is an example of exploiting the child killing just to give a film the illusion of substance when it couldnt be further from it.
  • BinaryBob101 24 Mar 2012 18:11:10 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    To think that in this day and age kids could not cope with child on child violence seems a bit ancient.
    It's like Lord of the Flies never happened.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Deleted user 24 March 2012 18:17:09
    Hindle wrote:
    the books are apparently very violent yet it didn't put off any of the teens who read them.
    Didn't they?

There's a big difference between a book and a film as well.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2012 18:17:49
    I want U rated films showing mass genocide because kids see it on the news.
  • Dirtbox 24 Mar 2012 21:10:15 76,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BinaryBob101 25 Mar 2012 00:03:28 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    $70 million opening weekend in the US. Massive new franchise then and not much of a surprise.

Lens Flare

• LFMartins 25 Mar 2012 18:10:07 5,704 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You got that wrong, itīs $70 million for the opening day. $155 million for the weekend, 3rd biggest opening weekend just behind the last Harry Potter and The Dark Knight.

Edit: It also got another $59 million from non-US markets. Thatīs $215 million in just 3 days from a budget of $75 million.

Edited by LFMartins at 18:14:17 25-03-2012
  • BinaryBob101 25 Mar 2012 18:44:32 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah right ok, fair enough. MASSIVE then. :)

Lens Flare

• munki83 27 Mar 2012 07:06:47 1,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got the kindle version off amazon this morning so will give it a read when I get the chance.
  • Bremenacht 1 Apr 2012 18:02:22 15,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saw it today. What a good film. Nothing remotely like Twilight. Not emo at all. Not much like BR either. Seems to pinch a lot of little things from elsewhere, but I really can't liken it to any single film.

Early scenes bore a resemblance to Nazi concentration camps. Even the buildings in the Capitol looked Speerish. An advanced, yet brutal, facist society. Frame it in those terms and it comes across as being something quite different.

Seems to set-up whatever's to come in the next films quite well too, although it didn't bother explaining a few things. That hand-signal for instance.

Anyway. Could have shaved 10 minutes or so off the middle here or there, but it was still pretty good. What shame that it looks like the intention is do to a Twilight/Harry Potter by splitting the next two books into three films. It's bound to suffer as a result. Look forward to reading them all now.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 1 April 2012 18:12:25
    There are talks it could be the highest selling film of the year at the box office. Personally I'm thinking it will come in second.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2012 18:42:32
    Talk by who? There's no way it'll be more than TDKR, I would be surprised if The Avengers doesn't make more, ditto Spiderman, Battleship, Ice Age and Atlas Shrugged Pt 2.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 1 Apr 2012 20:13:52 6,999 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After 2 weekends on release it's made $250m, which would put it in the top 10 films of the year in any of the last 10 years (even if it took no more money). It's likely it'll end up around $300-330m (which would put it easily in the Top 5, and often Top 3 of previous years).

I agree that TDKR will likely top and Avengers may get close but Battleship and Ice Age won't touch it. Spiderman is a bit of a wildcard - the Sam Raimi ones were huge, and a straight sequel would be on a par with this, however this one could go in any direction.

The other two that may do the business are Prometheus and The Hobbit.
  • Bremenacht 1 Apr 2012 20:32:22 15,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends who's got the biggest demographic I suppose. The Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games audience is probably bigger than that of the Batman audience.

I'll bet a Jaffa that HG will gross higher than TDKR over it's cinema release.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 1 April 2012 20:40:06
    The last Ice Age made almost $1bn, the big films are starting to come in over the next few weeks so it will drop off quite quickly now.

It might get to $1.2bn if it's lucky.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2012 20:42:47
    Talk from film journalists, it's going to gross more then The Avengers, TDKR is the one it will have trouble getting near. It wouldn't suprise me if it's in the top 5 at the end of the year anyway.

Edited by Hindle at 20:44:22 01-04-2012
  • Deleted user 1 April 2012 20:47:29
    I can't find a single site that says that so again, who says that? Agreed it'll probably be in the top 5.

TDK had a bigger opening weekend, even ignoring inflation, so demographically it's ok.

Edited by Aargh. at 20:48:18 01-04-2012
  • Deleted user 1 April 2012 20:51:59
    I cant recall the site, have a look over at IGN that was it I think. I don't see TDKR grossing more then the previous films personally, giving THG a chance. Heath Ledgers peformance sold that film to a lot of people who dont usually watch Batman.

Edited by Hindle at 21:11:35 01-04-2012
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 1 Apr 2012 20:57:33 6,999 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    The last Ice Age made almost $1bn, the big films are starting to come in over the next few weeks so it will drop off quite quickly now.

It might get to $1.2bn if it's lucky.
    Ah, I was talking about US - internationally I agree that Ice Age will be a lot closer as Hunger Games seems to be be weaker abroad, whereas the Ice Age films have been really strong.

The drop-off seems to be following the Twilight pattern - open massive then drop hugely, however HG would seem to be appealing wider (picking up the boys who weren't interested in Twilight).
  • Page

of 4 First / Last