• Dirtbox 21 Mar 2012 14:21:12 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fucked if I know.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dsmx 21 Mar 2012 14:42:06 7,732 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I suppose I better look for a whole bundle, does this pre overclocked one look good for 370 with the double RAM and the better motherboard? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-080-OE&tool=3

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Dirtbox 21 Mar 2012 14:46:46 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't buy anything from overclockers at all, ever, so no.

Also you don't need branded ram, just get a stack of cheap unbranded. Most of the time they're a decent make anyway, just OEMed.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:47:44 21-03-2012

• X201 21 Mar 2012 14:51:09 15,746 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ditto the Oveclockers statement.

Have heard too many horror stories about them to ever consider them as an option.
  • dsmx 21 Mar 2012 15:33:33 7,732 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well I went and ordered some stuff from novatech:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
    INTEL CORE I5 2500K 6MB
    2X4GB DDR3
    128GB SSD
    SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 64MB
    MS WIN 7 HOME PREM 64-BIT

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• THFourteen 21 Mar 2012 15:40:46 34,471 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    tried a cmos rest, no good. when I do a cmos reset it doesn't boot up and a screen comes up asking me to enter the bios to set the system clock and I'm not even getting that far.
    the mobo battery isnt fucked or anything is it?
  • dsmx 21 Mar 2012 16:26:44 7,732 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I replaced the battery a little over a year ago, very unlikely that it's that.

• Futaba 23 Mar 2012 13:06:23 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having some PC problems today a bit out of the blue. First issue was utorrent would hang on startup and become unresponsive. It worked for a while after a restart but now it's playing up again. It's not just utorrent though, I did a MS Security Essentials quick scan which worked, tried to do another scan to my other HDDs and it's been frozen since. Not even end process in task manager kills it (same with utorrent).

Tried to system restore and got:
    System restore: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101). And 'catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)'
    Winamp's just frozen too, also that worked again shortly after ending the process. Strangely Firefox seems fine, just checked core temp (which took 3 tries to start up) and the temps seem fine.

Bit confused about what's causing this to happen as everything was fine last night. Any suggestions?

Edit: I didn't know this was actually possible, but the problem seems to have been a flash drive I'd left in the PC overnight. Just remembered it was in the, removed it and all the frozen programs suddenly work, or they closed.

Edited by Futaba at 13:47:08 23-03-2012

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Mr-Brett 23 Mar 2012 14:03:39 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dsmx: In case you don't do it anyway (like I didn't before) you should update the bios on that board straight away. I had a Gigabyte board and the bios corrupted causing an infinite boot loop, it's apparently worst on the z68 models.

@Futaba: That's a weird one, I've never known a flash drive to cause issues like that, if you hadn't have added the edit I'd have said it was your HDD at fault.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Futaba 23 Mar 2012 14:13:44 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funnily enough I was trying to boot up a program that monitors HDD health around the time I made that post but it was another program that wouldn't work because of the issues. It loaded when I pulled the usb drive out though and says my HDD health is fine.

• Mr-Brett 23 Mar 2012 14:17:50 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most strange, dodgy driver perhaps? Maybe the drive just needs a format, although that might be tricky if it's causing all kinds of issues when it's in.

• Mr-Brett 24 Mar 2012 09:25:54 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Time for my PC problem now. I recently changed the motherboard and ever since windows has been complaining about genuine validation checks, so in the past I'd do that and it says everything is fine but this time it say nope. Now I get some text over my background (which it removed and is now blank) saying it's not genuine and I get annoying pop-ups plus Microsoft Security Essentials is threatening to stop working too >:(

I can't find anything useful online, is there away to get it validated again?

Edited by Mr-Brett at 11:33:44 24-03-2012

• Futaba 28 Mar 2012 01:25:52 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr-Brett
    Have you tried phoning Microsoft? I'm sure they have a number to ring for issues like that, if not try their own help forum.

Update on my situation, it wasn't actually fixed the other day, programs continued to be erratic and opened very slow. Installed some driver updates today and seemed to have narrowed the problem down to the GPU drivers that were installed. Uninstalled them and reinstalled them to some version or another and everything seems fine now. I think it was possibly Steam that installed the bad drivers (I only reinstalled it recently and I almost always see it updating my GPU drivers on start-up) so I've stopped Steam starting up with Windows.

Edit: Gah, still seems like some programs still seem noticably slower than usual. Tempted to just reinstall windows to see if that fixes it but reinstalling everything is a pain... Guess I'll defrag the HDD, give it a day or so and see if it improves.

Edited by Futaba at 01:48:31 28-03-2012

• Dirtbox 28 Mar 2012 01:47:18 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Futaba Sounds like one of your hard drives is on it's way out.

• Dirtbox 28 Mar 2012 01:48:12 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr-Brett you generally can't run windows on a new motherboard without a repair install. You'll have to phone MS.

• Futaba 28 Mar 2012 01:50:32 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirtbox
    Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, the HDD currently running Windows is getting on a bit now. I was actually considering an upgrade to an SSD soon, this could be the excuse I need to get one. Were their prices affected by the flood like HDD prices were?

Edited by Futaba at 01:51:07 28-03-2012

• coastal 28 Mar 2012 06:45:37 5,390 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Look out for a deal. You should be able to pick up a 120Gb for 100 if you can wait.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Futaba 28 Mar 2012 12:55:12 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any chance of component websites doing any Easter sales? Otherwise I'll go for this.

• Dirtbox 28 Mar 2012 13:04:55 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ebuyer often has sales for any occasion so it might be worth waiting a week.

• Futaba 28 Mar 2012 13:27:30 3,540 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to know, thanks.

• grey_matters 28 Mar 2012 13:30:33 3,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Futaba wrote:
    Any chance of component websites doing any Easter sales? Otherwise I'll go for this.
    Just got this myself (different site, similar price). It just comes as is, so make sure you also get a cradle for it and power and data cables if you don't have any spares knocking around.
  • mrpon 28 Mar 2012 14:36:42 29,579 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    10 off Agility SSDs with Quidco Futty.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Mr-Brett 28 Mar 2012 17:25:12 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @Mr-Brett you generally can't run windows on a new motherboard without a repair install. You'll have to phone MS.
    I had an x86 serial key lying about so I tried that and it worked even though I'm using a x64 version of Win 7. Hopefully that'll keep me going until Win 8, cheers though.

• mrpon 31 Mar 2012 12:26:13 29,579 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That SSD Futuba was after is on a weekend deal, 60 off.

Source

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ManicDrunkMonk 23 Apr 2012 20:06:59 516 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi all,

I was hoping to get the advice of some of the more PC-savvy members of the forum.

I have a 2008 Dell XPS 420 sitting about that I want rid of. Primarily I'd like to sell it and garner some cash, but have run into the issue that I want to provide a new HDD with a clean OS installed (for security etc.). Dell never provided me with a Vista installation disc though.

1. Is the whole process worth the effort, or should I just take it to the dump?

2. Is going onto eBay and picking up one of the Vista recovery discs (about 10) a reasonable thing to do, or is there a better way of doing this?

I hope I'm not wasting anyones time with stupid questions.

Thanks in advance!
  • Dirtbox 23 Apr 2012 20:54:49 79,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Download the same version of an OEM vista disk from a warez site like pirate bay and use the key that's on the case. The disk itself is irrelevant, only the key matters.

Come to think of it, you should be able to restore it to factory settings without any of that.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:55:25 23-04-2012

• cianchristopher 26 Apr 2012 11:24:09 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Here's a question re: RAM

I bought a 4gb stick of RAM last year, and it works okay, no problems. So, i picked up another (identical) stick as it was so cheap at the time (I used my order history to ensure I was buying the same one again) just to see what 8gb RAM felt like.

Now, when I put in the second stick the PC won't boot at all. I've tested both, and the sticks work fine independently of one another. I'm just wondering, do I have to buy RAM together to make sure they're compatible? Perhaps the few months that elapsed between purchases led to the two sticks coming off a different production batch or something (even though they're ostensibly "the same"?).

Or is my motherboard simply not supplying enough power to both sticks? Could that be the reason?

Edited by cianchristopher at 11:25:04 26-04-2012
  • Rusty_M 26 Apr 2012 12:28:46 4,936 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I've read, some motherboards are quite funny about RAM. The motherboard manufacturer's site should have some document showing which RAM sticks have been tested as compatible and in which configuration. It doesn't mean other RAM or other configurations won't work. It just means its not certain.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• grey_matters 26 Apr 2012 12:38:55 3,863 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How old is the motherboard? Is the BIOS the newest available?
  • cianchristopher 26 Apr 2012 12:41:04 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Motherboard is 3-4 years old. BIOS is the latest one.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last