PC problem. Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 23:14:21 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I stick it in a caddy do you think i'd be able to get anything off of it (ie if it doesn't have to boot)?

I think I already know the answer.
  • Bremenacht 27 May 2013 23:23:16 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No. Every time you turn it on, you're grind the heads into the disc platters.

You could try sending it to a recovery firm, who will charges £hundreds to make an attempt to pull off the data, regardless of whether they get anything off or not.

I can only sympathise, having done something similar before and losing 7 years worth of photos.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 23:47:27
    @kentmonkey

Just to check in advance, are you sure you don't have another usb stick or something connected to the system that the bios is trying to boot from causing the error.

The actual hard drives are very strong on impact. I suspect you've damaged the laptop motherboard or power to the drive and that is why it isn't working. I very much doubt you've damaged the drive(unless already on its way out) . Try accessing the bios setting and get it to detect the disks attached.

even if your impact did manage to damage the drive, it a worst will have damaged the embedded circuitry attached to the drive.
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 23:48:06 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-(

As it wasn't clicking I was hoping it might be readable. Never heard a drive rev on and off like an ant in a really small F1 car before.

I'm a twat. Should know better at my age.
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 23:50:28 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini

Nope nothing connected. I thumped it, a load of dust came out of the laptop's side, it made the pulsating revving noise and the machine locked up. Now when I turn it on it tries to boot, but then says no bootable disc connected.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 23:54:31
    Well that sounds more promising, try removing the drive from the laptop and trying again to check for reving; as it might be a crushed fan. Also try again with a Fedora 18 bootable iso (fedoraproject.org), if you can burn an image on a friend's computer. That way you can check how much the system is damaged, and even buy a cheap HDD caddy to try and mount the HDD over usb while running a live linux os.

Edited by vizzini at 23:55:48 27-05-2013
  • kentmonkey 28 May 2013 00:03:33 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would it have to be mounted over linux? Could i not try and read it on a windows machine via a caddy ?

I did take the hdd out and remount it, in case it came loose, but the revving came from the hdd when i reconnected it.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 00:11:41
    You can mount it on a windows PC(of the same or higher os version) instead of linux. I was just trying to provide a way that you wouldn't need too much help from someone else, if you didn't have a second computer.
    Revving HDD could mean that the laptop casing is now causing the HDD moving part to catch while spinning. Try re-attaching the HDD without all the laptop HDD housing to see if it provides enough space inside the HDD chamber to stop it scliffing.

Edited by vizzini at 00:12:15 28-05-2013
  • kentmonkey 28 May 2013 00:21:32 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope still revs. :-(
  • Dirtbox 28 May 2013 00:41:56 78,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some laptops have a safety mechanism on their hdds that parks the head away from the platters when it takes a knock. There are a couple of ways to un-park it, but they vary, google the laptop and see if it has that feature, if not, you're fucked and you're a fucking idiot.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kentmonkey 28 May 2013 00:46:46 20,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's the latter but good tip and I'll try that tomorrow.
  • Bremenacht 28 May 2013 00:52:14 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you see the HDD from BIOS?

If you can't, then it may be that the motor is damaged or something other than a head crash has occurred, and you might be able to get your data back by spending a few £hundred or more.

If you can, then it's more likely to be a problem with the heads/platters, and you're more likely to have scratched your data.

Either way, google as much as you can, as DB suggests.

vizzini is making it up as he goes along btw. HDDs are sealed units, so no 'Laptop casing' will ever touch a 'HDD moving part'. I suggest you ignore him for a bit.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 01:03:04
    @Bremenacht

Learn to read, I was talking about the laptop's internal mounting caddy that might be either blocking the holes that need to remain clear, or the central reading mechanism that spins being obstructed. How many HDDs have you ever actually tried to physically destroy before disposing of? The platters are extremely strong (masonry piece and hammer resistant).

Edited by vizzini at 01:03:24 28-05-2013
  • mrpon 28 May 2013 01:05:36 28,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What did you hit it for?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• RobTheBuilder 28 May 2013 01:09:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bet it was for something not working..!
  • Bremenacht 28 May 2013 01:09:15 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

Learn to read, I was talking about the laptop's internal mounting caddy that might be either blocking the holes that need to remain clear, or the central reading mechanism that spins being obstructed. How many HDDs have you ever actually tried to physically destroy before disposing of? The platters are extremely strong (masonry piece and hammer resistant).
    So you're telling him to open up the HDD? Jesus Christ. That's even more stupid.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 01:13:22
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

So you're telling him to open up the HDD? Jesus Christ. That's even more stupid.
    @Bremenacht

Learn to read, or learn about laptop HDDs. You do realise that 2.5” HDDs that are used in laptops fit in a mounting unit to firmly attach to the laptop? They mounting units are normally quite tight to begin with, so after a heavy hit, they might be restricting the movement of reading mechanism that protrudes out of the sealed unit. How did you expect him to open the HDD without special torque screw drivers? So of course I wasn't suggesting that.
  • Sandbox 28 May 2013 01:14:42 339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In fairness to Viz, I think he means the HDD cover on the laptop shell, or some had a frame the HDD is attached to, then this frame is slotted into the laptop chassis. If these components press enough on the outer case of the HDD they could affect its operation. Unlikely, but possible.
  • Bremenacht 28 May 2013 01:22:39 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I read you just fine.

Revving HDD could mean that the laptop casing is now causing the HDD moving part to catch while spinning.
    the laptop's internal mounting caddy that might be either blocking the holes that need to remain clear
    the central reading mechanism that spins being obstructed
    restricting the movement of reading mechanism that protrudes out of the sealed unit
    Total rubbish. You're not helping.
    Actually I'm not helping either by replying to you. So, I'll stop.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 01:32:34
    @Bremenacht

You've clearly never encounter a laptop drive in all your puff and are now trying to cover up your ignorance by being offensive about other's advice. Stop making the situation worse it is embarrassing for you.
  • Bremenacht 28 May 2013 01:32:38 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    May be helpful:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
  • Bremenacht 28 May 2013 01:35:39 18,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

You've clearly never encounter a laptop drive in all your puff and are now trying to cover up your ignorance by being offensive about other's advice. Stop making the situation worse it is embarrassing for you.
    Learn to read. As I posted above, I've done the same thing myself.
  • Deleted user 28 May 2013 01:51:48
    @Bremenacht

“vizzini is making it up as he goes along btw.”
    “Total rubbish. You're not helping.”

From the two sentences above that you wrote, I'm finding it a little difficult to respect anything you've subsequently said. Even if you were half a bright as you think you are, you'd be smart enough to avoid such inflammatory remarks in a technical thread. Only someone that didn't know anything would put themselves out on a limb like that, in such a cavalier fashion.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next