Have to put my dog down. Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• psychokitten Moderator 10 Oct 2011 13:12:24 7,794 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heart goes out to you Jacksie. Like Duffman says, it's tough, but you have to think of what's best for your dog. There will be lots of tears, but you have to remember the good times.

Now I'm sad thinking of my poor Revan who died too young :( Dread the day any of my lot get sick.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2011 13:23:49
    Condolences, I got told via text by my now step dad that my dog had died. Yup my family are classy. Luckily I was with my mates who put on Elysium from the Gladiator soundtrack in tribute. I grew up with that mitts. I feel for you it's not easy losing a close friend, human or otherwise.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2011 13:28:08
    gutted for you man, my dog died about a month ago.collasped on the floor )guessing heartattack after a night of thunder). Hearbreaking. Problem is getting there routine out of the system. You will notice everything for a couple of weeks. i still expect sometimes, my dog to run up to me to greet me when i get home ( i only go home once or twice a week)
  • MetalDog 10 Oct 2011 13:29:01 23,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had to do this with my 'fell out of the ugly tree' lurcher, Einstein. After fifteen years together, it felt like I'd sawn off a limb. It physically hurt to be in so much grief and bizarrely, I found that a couple of paracetamol did help with the physical pain side of it - maybe it's just the perma-tension of the body when you go on a massive crying jag, I don't know.

Time is pretty much the only thing that made it better, so make sure you give yourself time to be a mess in and be wary about mentioning it to people you don't have to, because nothing they say will help and sometimes their attempts to express sympathy will make you just want to punch them.

Something that did help console me in the months afterwards was how often he turned up in my dreams. Even in the dreams I knew he was dead, but it seemed... okay - he was young again and fit, instead of old and hurting. I hope you get the same kind of dreams.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Syrette 10 Oct 2011 13:30:11 44,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    i still expect sometimes, my dog to run up to me to greet me when i get home ( i only go home once or twice a week)

:'(

• MetalDog 10 Oct 2011 13:34:36 23,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh yeah, do yourself a favour and clear up everything you can find and put it away safely. Nothing sucks quite like coming across 'favourite ball' a month after the fact =/

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• CaptainBinky 10 Oct 2011 13:37:51 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was -1 when my parents got our first dog. I was 14ish when she died (was possibly put down, I don't know for certain) and I'm now 33 and still not entirely over it :'(
  • boo 10 Oct 2011 13:42:34 11,896 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Condolences. Just keep in mind that they're not going to be in any more pain.
    I guarantee that the one sad, final memory you have will eventually be overwhelmed by the number of good memories.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Jacksie66 10 Oct 2011 13:46:35 574 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers all you guys. We rang the vet a while ago. Wont be able to bring Max until tomoro so at least he'll get one last day with us...
  • Deleted user 10 October 2011 14:10:16
    I don't envy your position at all. i was lucky mine just pop his clogs there and then. the next 24 hours are going to be really rubbish just waiting for the inevitable. chin up!
  • Globalmeltdown 10 Oct 2011 14:23:31 128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jacksie66
    Thinking of you and your dog, your doing the right thing. I am really sorry. I lost my lab Holly last month after 14 years, I miss her so much but know she is in a better place now. Take care and be strong.
  • chrisno21 10 Oct 2011 14:33:15 1,544 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a horrible thing to have to do. You know it's for the best but it's heart-breaking and one of the worst experiences I've been through. Remember the good times, hard as that will be for a few weeks, it's the only thing that kept me going for a while.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• StolenGlory 10 Oct 2011 14:37:03 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My thoughts go out to you but the massive upside to this, is that you've given that dog fifteen years of bliss and a cherished existence.

My first dog that I got roughly a year ago, a miniature dachsund pup, lived for all of twelve weeks before we were attacked in a dog park and he was killed in front of me by a chav-nutured Staffy that was let off its leash and left to it's own savage devices.

I'm just happy it wasn't a small child that it locked onto first. I'm not a small guy by any stretch, but once it had it's jaws around the midriff of our little dog, I couldn't stop it from finishing the job.

That fucked me up in ways i'm still trying to process, but the best healing of all I found was to get two more dogs and give them the lives that I would have wanted him to have.

Trust me mate, it will get easier.
  • Jacksie66 11 Oct 2011 18:35:02 574 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hey guys. Well, Max is at peace now. We brought him to vet earlier. I was with him when he slipped off and my face was the last he saw. We brought him home and buried him in his bed in the back garden. My heart is absolutely in bits but at least hes not in pain anymore. I have 15 years of brilliant memories with him and ill never forget him. Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for your kind and encouriging words. Im crying as im writing this as I feel ive lost my closet and best friend, my protector and my brother. R.I.P. Max. Ill never forget you xxx.
  • boo 11 Oct 2011 18:36:02 11,896 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :o(

Just Another Lego Blog

• ronuds 11 Oct 2011 18:52:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RIP, Max. It's very sad to lose a friend.
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Oct 2011 19:01:01 15,210 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one Jacksie, well said mate.

Max is probably sniffing a lamp post/dogs butt as we type.
    x

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Khanivor 11 Oct 2011 19:08:25 41,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got a Max buried in our back garden with his favourite plastic squeaky foot.

Bummer :(
  • GREASYL0VER 11 Oct 2011 19:15:12 127 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gutted for you mate.

My parents bought my dog when I was 11 or so, and it was hard enough leaving him when I moved out in my early twenties.

He got sick with cancer not long before I moved out but lasted a couple of years, he was in perfect health apart from that.

I left for a family holiday with the in-laws and he was his usual self when I left, and on my second day when I phoned home I received the bad news that he had taken a turn for the worse and had to be put down.

The mistake some of the in-laws made was to try to console me by saying "he was just a dog". The holiday turned sour around the point that I said I'd be less upset if one of them had died! Not clever in hindsight, but it gives you an idea of how big a part of the family a dog is, non-dog/pet people all to often don't understand this.

It's getting on for 10 years since he died, and I still miss him. It doesn't feel right going to my parents house and him not sitting at the back door waiting on us.
  • Benno 11 Oct 2011 19:31:06 10,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RIP max
  • dai_bonehead 11 Oct 2011 19:43:06 98 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like you and Max had a great life together. Get a picture of him and keep it close. have 6 pictures of note - a couple each of my sons, and 1 each of my no-longer with me cats.
  • PhoenixFlames 11 Oct 2011 19:59:58 9,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been there too mate. It sucks. As others have said, it will get better. RIP Max.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Scurrminator 11 Oct 2011 21:18:44 8,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RIP Max. Dogs are awesome.
    I know we imprint on them but they are so loyal and loving.
    When mine eventually passes I'll be getting another; the house would empty without a little scamp running around.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• MrE26 11 Oct 2011 23:23:02 1,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is a really bizarre feeling. The house can be full of people & it still feels empty. My dogs have always been like the little brother i never had, i can't imagine ever not having one. Losing my last one was so hard to deal with.

So sorry to hear about Max. :(
  • SIKFING 12 Oct 2011 09:57:51 62 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Wow, I don't know any of you but kudos for being so understanding about it all.

I was expecting arguments and piss takes in here tbh but Mega happy that's not the case!.

Really sorry for your loss, I totally know how you feel as I have had to see 3 dogs put down at various stages of their lives and for various reasons.

I have 3 dogs and the oldest is my border collie Max (hell of a name huh). He is 11 years old and has been suffering with arthritis in all his legs for the last year or so. We have been giving him tablets when he is at his worst and they seem to help massively. But lately its getting to the stage where the tablets aren't working as effectively and its worrying to say the least.

He has trouble going up the stairs but he wont sleep downstairs with his dad (I.e. me) because he whines for his mum all night long. He wont jump into the back of the car anymore, not even with a ramp that we bought him especially.

He's full of beans when he's had a tablet and he will play ball for hours, but its getting to the stage where he wont want to play ball even after a tablet, and I know my wife will be totally devestated when we have to say goodbye.

Its really nice that everyone is being mature and understanding about these types of issues because it amazes me how small minded some people can be when they say things like "how can you get upset over a dog?".

They have obviously never owned or got close to any dogs or family pets before, as any real owner knows that your pet is like a child or other member of your family. To look after, care for and love something that gives you so much joy for years on end is an amazing thing to do and to not understand how you could get attached is just bizarre in my eyes.

Anyway, I'm at work and these man tears should not be rolling down my cheeks right now!.

Take care of your loved ones, enjoy the time you have and never forget the amazing times you've had together.

Peace out.
  • Adamical 12 Oct 2011 10:08:55 314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SamWalker wrote:
    This thread, man

:'(

Sorry about Max, buddy
  • Page

of 5 First / Last