The Cancelled Shows thread Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Bloodloss 5 Oct 2011 14:49:25 4,499 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Can't believe anyone has not mentioned Firefly yet :-)

That's because everyone's trying to forget.

WHY FOX WHY?!
  • craigy Staff 5 Oct 2011 14:51:24 7,653 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • craigy Staff 5 Oct 2011 14:51:38 7,653 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Police procedurals are dropping like flies, innit.
  • Darren 5 Oct 2011 14:58:08 8,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Firefly is considered by many to be the best cancelled series ever and I have to agree with that. It's such a shame that it wasn't given at least two seasons as it had so much potential. Still it did at least get some closure with the superb Serenity movie.

Speaking of two seasons; I've recently watched both seaons of Stargate Universe on BD and DVD (season 2 was DVD only for some stupid reason) twice and thought it got better with each episode. Season 1 was good but Season 2 was where the series really started to find its feet, especially the last ten episodes. I'm gutted it was cancelled to be honest as I honestly consider it the best pure SF show I've seen since Battlestar Galactica. I can't quite pinpoint exactly what made the series so enjoyable for me but I think the concept of this ship far out into the universe captured my imagination and the way the characters were shown to be flawed, ordinary people thrown into exceptional circumstances, struggling to survive, really helped make Universe a believable series, in total contrast to Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (not that I didn't enjoy either but they definitely both had a lighter tone than Universe).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Blaketown 5 Oct 2011 15:13:49 4,650 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All the shows I liked last year were cancelled Chicago Code, Rubicon, Lone Star & Terriers.

Also Better Off Ted was brilliant and I loved Tim Roth's character in Lie to Me even if the show itself stuck rigidly to a formula (much the same as House in that regard).

Yeah basically I'm wary of starting a new show this year as I was thoroughly burned last year.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• TechnoHippy 5 Oct 2011 15:38:08 14,715 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish American Gothic would have had more than one season. A great show, Sheriff Lucas Buck is a true inspiration to us all :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Madder-Max 5 Oct 2011 15:40:32 11,649 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    no meniton of Enterprise? Awesome show that was destroyed by its own shitty evangelic theme tune.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Machetazo 13 Oct 2012 11:17:40 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So long, The River, we hardly knew ya. :( Cancelled after 8 eps. Maybe Spielberg ought not to exec produce any more telly.
    Newly showing on SyFy, the first episode was interesting, not what I expected.

Basic premise: Beloved TV wildlife documentary maker and his cameraman go missing, presumed dead in the Amazon, the search is called off although the families refuse to give up looking. His beacon, transmitting on his radio frequency is picked up six months later, and the production company pays for wife and son to travel from the lives they're beginning to build without him out to investigate, while they film what transpires as they search for his boat, The Magus...then, well, it gets strange!
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Oct 2012 13:00:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still angry about Lie to Me... that show was brilliant.
  • HitchHiker 13 Oct 2012 13:12:54 2,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw the ad for The River and thought it looked good, glad I didn't watch now as I'd be gutted having gotten into it without any closure.

Edited by HitchHiker at 13:13:14 13-10-2012
  • Machetazo 13 Oct 2012 13:46:23 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Saw the ad for The River and thought it looked good, glad I didn't watch now as I'd be gutted having gotten into it without any closure.
    I don't remember the url, so I'll have to paraphrase, but what they got to make of the series is relatively self-contained, although they left room for continuing, if possible. So, I wouldn't necessarily be put off from watching the rest on such concern, if you're interested in it.
  • BinaryBob101 13 Oct 2012 13:51:07 22,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is a fair amount of closure actually, and while some episodes are a bit fillery, it's still worth a watch I reckon. Not bad at all.

The Grumpy Vaper

• X201 15 Oct 2012 11:51:45 15,397 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    So long, The River, we hardly knew ya. :( Cancelled after 8 eps.
    It managed one more episode than Maximum Bob. Its been 14 years since that travesty. I still mourn it.
  • evilashchris 15 Oct 2012 11:54:32 6,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whoever cancelled Carnivale needs taking outside and having their left testicle kicked inside-out. Amazing show.

Twitter: @COToole

• SYS64738 15 Oct 2012 12:02:13 1,661 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watched both seasons of Survivors on Netflix a while back, only to find out that the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 will never be resolved as the series got cancelled by the BBC.

Never again will I start following a series that doesn't have self-contained episodes.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Blakester 15 Oct 2012 12:10:16 3,614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Studio 60 was just hitting its stride when it was cancelled.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• robthehermit 15 Oct 2012 12:11:31 4,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Watched both seasons of Survivors on Netflix a while back, only to find out that the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 will never be resolved as the series got cancelled by the BBC.

Never again will I start following a series that doesn't have self-contained episodes.
    The book was much better anyway.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• kalel 15 Oct 2012 12:12:47 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sometimes it feels like they need better markers for success than just short-term viewing figures. Fox in particular have lost a potential fortune in being too hasty in cancelling shows.

Also a bit of realism in setting out is good also. Carnivale was a victim of its own extravagance really.
  • SYS64738 15 Oct 2012 12:15:39 1,661 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:

The book was much better anyway.
    Shame I have no patience for books, otherwise I'd probably pick it up to find out how it all ended. To be honest I quite liked the episodes (obviously) despite the series being far from perfect, I cared for the characters so really wanted to see how things moved on after S2.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• RobTheBuilder 15 Oct 2012 12:16:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was reading yesterday about cartoon series God, The Devil and Bob, which was banned in America after two episodes in 2001, but was shown in full in the UK.

Did anyone see it?

I love the difference between US and UK. In the US they called it blasphemous and banned it, religious leaders in the UK said it had a positive message and showed good Christian values...
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2012 12:17:08 59,908 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    no meniton of Enterprise?
    It got a longer run than it really deserved and even a big trek fan like myself wasnt sorry it got cancelled. The last two seasons were pretty cool but the first two were absolutely abject and lets not mention the last episode.

So, yeah, no mention of enterprise.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 15 Oct 2012 12:19:48 7,010 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deadwood is, for me, the greatest cancelled TV show ever. So good but never found the audience it deserved. I wonder if it was made today, with the rise and rise of box-set culture and on-demand TV, whether it would've found enough of a following to see it through...
  • Ged42 15 Oct 2012 12:21:35 7,730 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd been meaning to post on here that New Zealand made Norse comedy The Almighty Johnsons had been cancelled after two series and as always leaving a major cliffhanger.

But the makers posted on their facebook wall this morning that they've managed to get a third. \o/
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2012 12:24:50 59,908 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah? That's awesome. It's one of my favourite shows by quite a margin and was gutted when I heard.

• superdelphinus 15 Oct 2012 12:29:51 8,059 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    studio 60 is the only one i've heard of here, which probably says something
  • docrob 15 Oct 2012 20:57:58 289 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They keep cancelling shows on me.

The Chicago Code
    Stargate Universe
    Defying Gravity
    FlashForward
    Caprica

I'm sure there are others.

FlashForward was the one that really astonished me. Brilliant premise, good characters, several overarching plot threads, and it was promoted hugely when it began. I think what did for it was that it started very strongly and then had a bit of a mid-season lull. By the time it came storming back in the last half dozen episodes, they had already decided not to renew it.

Slow burn shows like The Wire didn't get cancelled because they were on Cable networks and weren't as vulnerable to fluctuations in viewing figures.
  • MightyMouse 15 Oct 2012 21:13:41 1,133 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone remember Now and Again? I thought it was brilliant at the time, but it may have objectively not been.

I think God, The Devil and Bob was a bit unlucky in that it came out when South Park had set the bar very high a few years before and Family Guy was near its peak. It seemed a bit underwhelming.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2012 21:26:30 59,908 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with flashforward was that, while the A plot was pretty good, all seven thousand of the B plots sucked the biggest balls possible.

The Japanese girl now fixes cars for a load of cholos? How interesting.

Edited by nickthegun at 21:27:24 15-10-2012

• Page

of 3 First / Last