Next generation of consoles come in Page 221

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• ubergine 27 May 2013 00:47:21 2,520 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Your contention is that 360, PS3 and Wii U are better than Steam, then?
    The very principle of Steam helped drive me to consoles in the first place. It was trojaned into Half Life 2, to play the game I had to allow Valve to install their fucking shop on my laptop which sent me pop-up ads constantly. My laptop wasn't that flash, so when ads popped up while trying to play Half-Life 2 it would crash. I eventually figured out I could make their piece of shit malware stop doing that but I wound up deleting it all and throwing the worthless disc in the bin. Only PC game I've played since 2004 is Civilisation 4 and a number of "pre-Steam/DRM" titles I had on disc.

Now that console are going to ape Steam it's probably worth going back to PC because at least Valve will now have their regime sorted out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• PenguinJim 27 May 2013 01:08:58 5,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    But from what we've been told, you can share your games with anyone else on that One console. You can let someone else login as you and play your games on their console. Where's the problem now?
    The problem is that if I buy Bioshock Infinite, and my mate buys Metal Gear Rising, then we both complete these games, we can't SWAP them with each other without either paying up a significant amount of cash, or also trading our XBL/Windows Live sign in details, which potentially exposes credit card details and access to personal information and accounts.
    This is slightly off-topic, but I'd recommend that you go into your Live account (and any other gaming accounts) RIGHT NOW and delete all of your credit card details, Paypal details and sensitive personal information.

I'm not saying that just to negate your point entirely, but because it's been recommended again and again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN since even before the FIFA issues and the PSN hack and is generally accepted as common sense nowadays. :)

That the twats at GMG have my real date of birth and won't let me change it or delete it sometimes keeps me awake at night... how naive I was just a few short years ago!
  • mal 27 May 2013 01:52:33 22,710 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some random internet shop wanted my date of birth, apparently to protect my personal details. I didn't understand why they wanted it, and indeed putting in a fake date didn't stop my card being charged or my order delivered, so... big shrug.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Progguitarist 27 May 2013 02:00:49 10,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PenguinJim The problem is, when you log back in, it'll log them out. That's the way the current system works on 360.
  • PenguinJim 27 May 2013 05:08:12 5,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @PenguinJim The problem is, when you log back in, it'll log them out. That's the way the current system works on 360.
    That's... not a problem. That's sharing. :confused: If you don't want the absolutely amazing convenience of both of you wanting to use separate accounts simultaneously, that's the kind of setup that "buying a second copy of a game" really does address rather well.
  • dominalien 27 May 2013 06:57:18 7,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    so when ads popped up while trying to play Half-Life 2 it would crash.
    Yeah, but WHAT?

PSN: DonOsito

• ubergine 27 May 2013 07:25:02 2,520 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's possible that Valve realised that was fucking balls and stopped doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Gland 27 May 2013 08:21:35 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't recall that ever happening, or hear of it happening once in my 10 years of using steam.

But then again, laptops of that era just weren't built to game.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Phattso Moderator 27 May 2013 08:23:06 13,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember that the Steam launch was fucked in many ways, but actually I never recall adverts much less popup ones. Unless we're talking about the "New On Steam" style window that appears on startup?

It's all just web views anyways.
  • Gland 27 May 2013 08:25:45 78,449 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, there have never been random popups and you're always been able to disable them from the day they implemented them, which was when they switched to netkit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Progguitarist 27 May 2013 08:35:25 10,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PenguinJim It's a problem if you loan the game to him for a couple days though eh?
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 08:41:32
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/26/why-ill-probably-buy-an-xbox-one-readers-feature-3808247/
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 08:44:31
    Is the talk/rumour of a backward compatible box/add on for the XB1 likely or even possible?
  • Progguitarist 27 May 2013 08:50:22 10,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not going to happen, ok?
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 08:57:13
    Final answer?
  • Progguitarist 27 May 2013 08:59:03 10,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why don't you send Don an e mail and ask him yourself?
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 09:00:35
    Do you have the address?
  • NotSoSlim 27 May 2013 10:39:44 3,129 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @EuroStalker within a month after wouldn't affect it. Think one will launch in October though.
  • wobbly_Bob 27 May 2013 12:54:11 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony reconsidering used games DRM following Xbox One reveal – rumour | VG247
    - > link

Interesting even though it's just a rumour. Microsoft would be screwed if Sony go the consumer friendly route.
  • mikew1985 27 May 2013 12:58:57 12,890 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually want to be able to register all my games to my machine so that I don't need the disc to play them. Unless it was optional, not having that feature would actually put me off more than entice me.
  • oceanmotion 27 May 2013 13:01:56 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would it be illegal if MS, Sony, perhaps EA and others colluded in this DRM, fixed priced trade in implementation which is detriment to the consumer ?
  • dominalien 27 May 2013 13:04:35 7,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    I actually want to be able to register all my games to my machine so that I don't need the disc to play them. Unless it was optional, not having that feature would actually put me off more than entice me.
    You can just buy them from the respective online store. You then won't even have the annoying disc and box to clutter up your place.

PSN: DonOsito

• Bananazniper 27 May 2013 13:11:16 657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't understand why Microsoft are going after the live TV market. Ratings have been plummeting for years. I watch live sports and the news. But I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a movie or TV show on live television, it must've been years ago. I watch them when it's convenient for me, which means on demand or from other places. And judging by the ratings a lot of other people are doing the same. Going after this market when it's dying could be a huge strategic mistake.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 13:20:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bananazniper their desperation to be a living room box and target Apple TV seems very much like sony's desperation to force Blu ray with ps3.

It seems like a big gamble for a questionable reward.
  • oceanmotion 27 May 2013 13:23:06 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it really matters either way.

The hardware changes are because they had to accommodate Kinect which would happen with or without TV.

The TV/Cable box ducktape aspect is a certain mistake but one that can be changed to what they should have done, stick to streaming/on demand apps.

Microsoft just have to be punched in the nose a few times to get the message. They made a hardware choice, have to stick with it whatever happens in the future.
  • L0cky 27 May 2013 13:25:48 1,538 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    My laptop wasn't that flash, so when ads popped up while trying to play Half-Life 2 it would crash.
    Either your memory is fried, or you had some kind of malware. Like everyone else, I don't recall steam ever doing this.

I think you should give it another go; to at least inform your opinion.
  • L0cky 27 May 2013 13:34:09 1,538 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 13:40:19
    I loved Mario 64, in fact I loved that console and the controller.

Think I paid 89.99 for an import version of J-League soccer!!
  • SomaticSense 27 May 2013 13:45:58 8,698 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:

But the amount of crying, the "backlash", the 'Microsoft deserve to be vilified, and Sony too if they do the same' really makes me worry that a lot of 'console-only gamers' are perhaps 'only console gamers' - that they don't have smartphones, or ereaders, or a Facebook account, or any PC games, or... well, they appear to be a bit backwards.

What am I missing? Some illusion of freedom?

The thing is, these 'console only gamers' are actually more likely than not to have the devices you mentioned. And therefore already have devices that are capable of the purported selling points of the XBOne. So why spend a minimum of 400 on something that doesn't actually alter the way you consume entertainment at home in any way whatsoever, aside from voice recognition?
  • Page

of 402 First / Last